View Full Version : Power 103.5

okcstylez
08-26-2004, 05:27 PM
I think its Awesome that Oklahoma City has an official Hip Hop and R & B station. The Station reaches 2/3rds of the whole state of Oklahoma! This is something Oklahoma City was missing as all major Citys has a radio station for the urban population. I havent heard it yet since im in Texas but my friends love it. Heres a link to the site for anyone who wants to see what its about. www.kvsp.com

On another note Oklahoma City Also added a new Hispanic Radio station. 105.3 Idonable. Which is also a great sighn of our city maturing into the great Major City Status it so deserves!

Raspberry
08-27-2004, 07:22 PM
Unfortunately, the new spanish radio station came at the cost of OKC's only alternative rock station, 105.3 the spy.

I am sad.

okcstylez
08-27-2004, 07:40 PM
94.7 The Buzz is an Alternative Rock Station I dont know if its any better but Citadel Obviously knew The Spy wasnt gettin to much or say enough listening power because it lasted only 2 years and because they switched. The KATT and KISS are very simular to its format to so its not to much of a loss To Alternative Rock Listeners.

The spanish Radio Station was very much needed for the Explosion of Hispanic People living In The Oklahoma City Metro. 106.7 LA Zeta alone wasnt cutting it. You need Variety Just as The Rock and Alternative have in the City.

Patrick
08-27-2004, 11:07 PM
Yeah, although I don't listen to Spanish radio, I'm glad a Spanish station was added to the FM dial. It adds to variety a fills a need. My fiancee is Hispanic, so I'm very sensitive to the needs of different ethnic groups.

Now, if we could only get a Jazz station back in town. I miss The City, 97.9FM.
I used to come home after a tough school day and relax with it. It made great studying music. At least I have the classical station to fall back on!

HOT ROD
08-27-2004, 11:49 PM
Wow,

It is great to hear that OKC is finally catching up with the diversity of radio stations in its market. I personally think OKC has too many country stations, 1 or 2 is fine but 3 - that's too much for any format! (At least we are not as bad as Tulsa market, though as they have 4).

OKC always had an urban station but it was on AM. Recently OKC got a taste of urban with Wild 97.9. I think KVSP going FM has been needed for a long!!!!! time. The last time OKC had a black owned FM station was 107.7 KAEZ, which was back in the mid 1980s when it changed to classic rock.

So now, what is missing is a Dance/Techno station, a highschool station, and Patrick's Jazz station. Actually I think OKC should have two Jazz stations since it so big there. Smooth Jazz and traditional improvisational jazz. Asian stations are also needed in OKC. Then every demographic would be represented, at least every major one.

A community station might work as well. In Vancouver, they have many community stations on FM that switch from nationality to nationality throughout the broadcast day (which is 24 hours on most). This is nice because Van City is so diverse but you dont want to have 50 FM stations. Of course, Van has two dedicated Asian stations (as Chinese represents over 40% of its pop) but the diversity of the city is represented on the FM dial.

OKC should follow this example. Like OKCSTYLEZ said, OKC is a pretty happening urban city that often does not get its due credit. Most of it had to do with the fact that OKC residents did not ever speak up about OKC with pride. but times are changing and it is nice to see progressive urban movement taking place and KVSP on FM is more than welcome! It was necessary!

HOT ROD
08-27-2004, 11:54 PM
Stylez, its 103.5 FM KVSP. :-)

Patrick
08-28-2004, 12:20 AM
Hot Rod, actually okcstylez was right....I actualy made the chage to 105.3 on the thread title......for some reason I thought it was a typo...I didn't realize they took on a new frequency. I went ahead and changed the thread title back to 103.5. I'm glad to see that we're getting some new frequencies. Hopefulyl that will open the way to a wider variety of stations.

okcstylez
08-28-2004, 12:21 AM
Thats exactly my point nice said lol. Radio brings so much more life into a persons visit to the City if a person really thinks about it. If you have a good radio station 9 times out of 10 the person is going to feel more comfortable with the surroundings. I've listened to radio stations from all over and they are all different everywhere and have there own style that fits the city. Wild 97.9 is a good station for the urban mix yet its not considered in the format for Urban. Its a Contemporary Hits. Which is why you hear Britney Spears and the Occasional Old School Mix.

Now Power 103.5 Has been around for a long time but like you said on AM and it has a feel. I liked listening to The Old Power Jammin 1140 back when I stayed in the City but it was annoying sounding kinda since it was on AM altho it was a good station. Now that its FM and as you can see from the Site a Much more diverse set of a Station They have. They even have primetime airplay on Saturday night For The hispanic Hip Hop Listeners. A program called Pocos Pero Locos (Plays In Urban Radio Stations Nationally) Then "Fonzerelly" Who is a Hispanic From Houston. Its nice to hear a Urban radio station like this has been added to the FM stations in OKC.

We do need a Jazz station Altho I Hope its a temporary loss it was good to add a bit of flavor to the format by switching to Wild 97.9. Im sure one will be added tho Hopefully in the near future maybe we should start bugging Citadel or Clear Channel lol. And the Diversity needs to be there as you said Patrick with maybe an Asian market. Ive heard of Asian Radio stations but all AM.

On that other not alot with OKC not getting its credit is because of the people who live here. Its sad lol its kinda like our city has been hated and made fun of for so long its stuck in most of our own heads lol. Not mine tho. I look at what really messed things up and whats really wrong. Alot is OKC's smalltown feel. Small skyscrapers and barely any skyscrapers and things to make it feel really urban to the eye. The people are a different story we all who have lived in OKC or live there now are city people. We are not no country folk. Thats our heritage but not our full culture today. But this all shows that OKC is a real city that stuck to where it really matters Not the image. That stuck to its roots. But Things need to change a bit stay with the roots but add spice to it add more skyscrapers to give a city feel and add more museums about our history and attractions about our history to keep our roots alive. It does bug me that we dont get our respect but im not worried about that no more im worried about if we are gonna be having this same conversation in 20 yrs lol.

slydog
11-13-2004, 02:58 PM
WWWhat, we are not no country folk, this statement alone is country, folks. What we need is for the management to get their perverbial head out and make some common sense programming. Look at KRXO, renda dropped the ball BIG time on the morning show, face it Bob and Tom are terrible for this market, as is ANY piped in programming, UNLESS it is block programming or national weekend shows. As for the country stations, I say there is really only two, the KXXY/KTST combo count as one in my book, listen sometime and you will find the music is basically the same, KKNG has the right ownership to take on Clear Channel and win. If rock is what you are after then you need to tune into the Bone in Dallas to hear a real rocker, or maybe the LOOP in Chicago, or the Bone in Tampa, or the Big Dog in Joplin, OKC doesn't really have a true ROCK station, the KATT and the Buzz are Alternative and KISS is A/C all the way. All this is strictly my opinion so take it with a grain of salt and thro the rest over your left shoulder.

dirtrider73068
11-17-2004, 03:39 PM
I think we need a blues/bluegrass station. I like the blues when I have a chance to hear them. I know directtv has the radio channels but I don't have satillate anymore that sucks.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
11-18-2004, 10:25 PM
OKC has no real alternative radio station. The Buzz pretty much plays the same 10 songs over and over again. I understand that the Spy wasn't making money, but at the same time it wasn't promoted correctly around here. If the kids in Norman could hear it, it might have had a better shot of staying around, but that might be my experience talking. The fact that companies like Clear Channel can own a bajillion stations don't help a lot.

Midtowner
11-22-2004, 03:01 PM
I think we need a blues/bluegrass station. I like the blues when I have a chance to hear them. I know directtv has the radio channels but I don't have satillate anymore that sucks.

co-sign on the bluegrass station. As a fiddle player, I'm a big fan :D

I trained as a classical violinist, I played an amped violin in a rock band for a bit, but bluegrass fiddlin' is something I want to be good at someday. With out local bluegrass celebrities like Byron Berline in Guthrie, I think something like this would have a decent shot at taking off if properly promoted.

Moondog
11-23-2004, 11:14 PM
I found a website that actually shows the location of radio stations towers, because I'm a dork lol....

Anyway, I was curious as to why 103.5's reception in my car was so poor. Come to find out, Power 103.5 doesn't broadcast out of Oklahoma City. Their tower is southwest of Anadarko, 60 miles away. No wonder. OKC is at the very fringe of the station's footprint.

I don't listen to it that much anyway, it's just something different sometimes from the angry scream rock of 94.7 and 100.5 -- or the country music of which we seem to have plenty of here -- or the oldies stations. Then again, I haven't enjoyed local commercial radio in years. I'm contemplating getting "Sirius" about satellite radio!

And just think about it, only a four companies control all the radio stations in this town. And that's not just true about OKC, but pretty much every other market in the country.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
11-24-2004, 05:05 PM
That was the same problem with the Spy...it's main antenna is in Kingfisher

Moondog
11-24-2004, 09:42 PM
I guess Power 103.5 isn't so "Power"ful afterall hehehe...

Anyway, for those of you who like alternative (and I'm not talking about Creed or Nickelback-- that's not alternative, no matter what the Buzz calls itself) go online to www.fm949sd.com... it's a station out of San Diego and it's the kind of station I wish we had here. They play alot of 80's and 90's pre-grunge, newer stuff (i.e. The Killers, Modest Mouse) and yes classic Nirvana and Soundgarden. But they also throw in some Bob Marley and local bands into the mix. It's awesome, I've had it on all day.

Clear Channel needs to do something with the Buzz. They could take some notes from the San Diego station. But maybe what works there wont work here. I can't imagine the Buzz being around much longer. It's really bad.

Luke
11-24-2004, 10:13 PM
A nice jazz station would rock. Well, you know what I mean.

Moondog
11-24-2004, 10:25 PM
I'd like to see (well... hear) a good jazz station too. I wish KOSU or KCSC, one of the two, would go jazz. They're both Classical and both have strong coverage here in the metro. It would make sense for KCSC to go Jazz, since they're the school that sponsors the Jazz Lab in Edmond. I appreciate Classical music, but we really don't need two Classical stations. And I'd love for OU to turn over it's frequencies to the students and get a real college music format station here. The least they could do is leave the evenings to the students. Who really listens to NPR at night here? I don't and can't imagine many who do.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
11-30-2004, 04:49 AM
I guess Power 103.5 isn't so "Power"ful afterall hehehe...

Anyway, for those of you who like alternative (and I'm not talking about Creed or Nickelback-- that's not alternative, no matter what the Buzz calls itself) go online to www.fm949sd.com (http://www.fm949sd.com/)... it's a station out of San Diego and it's the kind of station I wish we had here. ...
Two other stations that I listen to online are 91X.com (also out of SD) and Indie 103.1 (http://kdle-fm.clearchannel.com/main.html) out of LA/OC. The latter has A LOT of stuff that you're not going to hear anywhere else. Henry Rollins in fact has a show on there Monday nights between 9 and 11 PM. Good stuff.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
11-30-2004, 04:51 AM
Ironically enough, those two are owned by Clear Channel...

slydog
11-30-2004, 05:52 AM
Cool, someone with the insight to actually tune out the local crap and find some real broadcasting, yea I know, he said C.C. owns the outlets, but, it's better then anything going on in this city so far. I myself listen to the Bone in Dallas, the Loop in Chicago, or the Big Dog in Joplin. It just goes to show, the local programmers are losing touch with the listening audience and will until the management of these so called broadcasting facilities pulls their heads out and gives creative control back to the guys and gals that know what the Buzz is on the streets. I predict in the near future, most of the so called broadcasting companies will lose so much money, they start selling off stations left and right, this will be a great day in Radio as we know it, sure, the big corperate money will be gone, but, in return, we will have super personalities like the old days, like Wolf Man, Grease Man, Cousin Brucie, Charlie Tuna, Machine Gunn Kelly, and one of my favs, HOWARD STERN.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
11-30-2004, 11:08 PM
I used to listen to 94/7 and 91X when I lived in San Diego for a year and a half, so I've known about those for a while. I actually found Indie 103.1 from radio-locater.com. Also, if you want "old-school" alternative (U2, Cure, REM, ect.) you can go to KJQ FM (http://www.kjq.com/) out of Utah

mlj1120
12-05-2004, 01:32 AM
It's good that OKC finally has an FM Urban with KVSP-Power 103.5, hopefully Perry will look into upgrading the signal closer to the city so it can have a full signal status because right now it doesn't cover the whole city.

Now if OKC could have an Urban AC station on the FM dial, I know Perry has KRMP-1140 and simulcasts on KEBC-1340 between 7pm-7am. But it would be nice to have an Urban AC on FM with a mix of Jazz in the format. The KAEZ call letters are available, which use to be on a station Amarillo,TX. Maybe someone in that city can revive that station, but I guess that's wishful thinking huh:-)

windowphobe
12-09-2004, 07:35 PM
Actually, Perry can't move the stick for KVSP any closer than he already has; it's a Class C station, which, under FCC rules, has to be separated at least 105 km from any other Class C station 0.4 or 0.6 MHz away - in this case, good ol' Magic 104.1. (Were he to move to 103.3, he'd run into the same issues with KJ-103, which is at 102.7.) His best bet, I think, would be to acquire a translator on the east side of the city. (Perhaps he can buy that 99.7 thing from the K-Love people, who already have another facility in town.)