View Full Version : Cats and Dogs

mranderson
05-10-2005, 11:28 AM
If you have both cats and dogs, how well do they get along? Do they fight or play as friends?

Midtowner
05-10-2005, 11:33 AM
My parents have kept both, I've just had cats.

They've always kept to themselves pretty well. I do remember when my parents got 2 new dogs to replace 2 that died within a pretty short period of time, the cat who I think was around 14 at the time was really beside himself. Hid for about a year :)

As he emerged, he just hissed and attacked the dogs, and eventually decided that he was scarier than dogs were. The funny thing is that dogs believed him. I remember he chased my younger brother's fox-terrier around a bit (and not in a playful way, the dog was really scared). The funny thing is that this dog was usually the one that wanted to attack anything else that walked on all 4's. It was pretty funny.

Pete
05-11-2005, 04:11 PM
I have a yellow Lab and two Abyssinian cats, and I breed all of them.

So, I frequently have kittens and/or puppies which can bring some extra tension due to protective mothers.

However, all have been well socialized to each other and get along very well, as this recent photo demonstrates:

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/mykids.jpg

dirtrider73068
05-11-2005, 09:08 PM
I have right now a cat and 2 dogs and they get along pretty good now, pretty much leave each other alone. They don't play much though the cat likes to rub up against the bigger dog vieing for attention I guess. I have another cat but its not at the house right now, she is not very social towards the dogs althought the bigger dog thinks he can chase her to play but then the witch kitty comes back and attacks.

mom2des_n_nate
05-13-2005, 10:10 AM
Hey dirt she isn't a witch she just lives up to her name which is Sassie..Thank you very much.. :fighting3

ilovecats
12-22-2005, 12:28 PM
3century gothicindigo I have 2 cats, 1 dog & 1 house rabbit, they all 4 get along fine they all 4 play with each other and kiss & clean each other.

Shirley

escan
01-04-2006, 09:34 AM
I have two cats, one dog and a "foster puppy" who will be up for adoption at PetsMart very soon. My dog (a 106 lb. lab/German Shephard mix) and my youngest cat sleep together on the dog bed. My only worry is that the dog might roll over on her, but she always just curls up around her!

My older cat has tolerated our dog, but detests the puppy and just stays far, far away!

mistress_x123
01-14-2006, 04:00 AM
[I]You will be amazed at how well animals get along will each other. I have 3 dogs, 3 cats, chickens, duck, goats, horses,had sheep, and had pigs and all get along fine. Just need to love reasure and let them know what is ok to do and what is not ok. One of my Dogs think that any baby ( goat, chicken, dusk, human, horse, or cats) is her baby and you can convense her other wise. I think it is how you raise them and don't force the get to know you thing, they will do it on their own.

okiemom
01-28-2006, 07:46 AM
Two house dogs, one barn cat. The dogs get along extemely well with each other but they are both afraid of the cat.

Jack
01-28-2006, 11:55 AM
Meow, Bark, Meow Bark. Nuff said.