View Full Version : Best Local Place for Foreign Currency Exchange

Double Edge
05-24-2012, 03:45 PM
On hand and decent rates?

ctchandler
05-24-2012, 07:22 PM
On hand and decent rates?
Double Edge,
I don't know if my way is the best way, but I have purchased pounds from Bank of Oklahoma and (I have an account there) it seemed fair, and I also have sent a check to my friend in London and that works very well.
C. T.

Double Edge
05-25-2012, 06:10 AM
I know there was at least one downtown bank who kept various currencies on hand and exchanged but I did not remember who it was from when I used them several years ago. It might have been BOK. The last few times I've traveled I exchanged on the other end. That kind of wastes valuable travel time.

ctchandler
05-25-2012, 07:53 AM
I know there was at least one downtown bank who kept various currencies on hand and exchanged but I did not remember who it was from when I used them several years ago. It might have been BOK. The last few times I've traveled I exchanged on the other end. That kind of wastes valuable travel time.
Double Edge,
If you're not that concerned about paying a fair exchange rate, it's actually really simple to use an ATM machine in the country you are traveling in. They don't rip you off but are a little higher. And a very fast way. Plus, you just get what you need and if you happen to run out, get some more. Do you have a contact where you are going? When I sent a check to my friend, the charge was a flat rate 10 pounds for $2,500.
C. T.

Double Edge
05-29-2012, 06:41 AM
Double Edge,
If you're not that concerned about paying a fair exchange rate, it's actually really simple to use an ATM machine in the country you are traveling in. They don't rip you off but are a little higher. And a very fast way. Plus, you just get what you need and if you happen to run out, get some more. Do you have a contact where you are going? When I sent a check to my friend, the charge was a flat rate 10 pounds for $2,500.
C. T.

I don't have a contact there and I hadn't thought about ATMs. We fly into Canada and usually arrive too late in the day to hit a local bank or exchange place before we head out into rural areas. Most places will take US$ or a credit card but for some places it's just better to have Canadian.

mmonroe
05-29-2012, 07:58 AM
BOK is one if not the only bank in the metro that will do Foreign Currency Exchange

ctchandler
05-29-2012, 08:29 AM
One other thought, when I was working and had an American Express card, I bought (free at my bank) American Express traveler's checks and there was no fee to cash them at an American Express office in Great Britain but I have been told that's no longer true. You might call an AMX office though and check on it.
C. T.

soonermike81
06-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Double Edge,
C. T.

This is exactly what I do. Also, if you bank in OKC, First Fidelity Bank doesn't charge international ATM fees. This is awesome! I don't bank with them anymore b/c I live in Dallas, but I used to. Traveled to several places around the world and loved that I could use the ATM w/ no fees. It's also a little safer imo, because you don't have to carry large amounts of cash to start off a trip and risk losing it or getting mugged. Pull out however much you need, when you need it.

Richard at Remax
06-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Ive had success at BOK. Depending on the amount it might take a day or so but it is usually quick and painless