View Full Version : Minnesota Writer "Timberwolves fans, don't act like OKies"

mmonroe
05-23-2012, 02:49 PM
http://kfor.com/2012/05/23/minnesota-writer-asks-t-wolves-fans-not-to-act-like-okies/

jedicurt
05-23-2012, 03:27 PM
i can't wait to see them lose the vikings... then it will be even more columns like this cause the sports writers there won't have anything else to do

Just the facts
05-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Honestly - that story was about a weak as they get. It wasn't even funny. The first line did sum it up though.

A Minnesota writer recently asked Timberwolves fans not to “act like Okies,” if they ever get the chance, in the playoffs.

Spartan
05-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Uh. If you want a city with some gang issues.. I can think of one

Other than that, Minneapolis is definitely one of the great American cities.. lots of beautiful glass houses up there.

Stew
05-23-2012, 05:34 PM
I was in Minneapolis this last December. Saw a local news story about how many gun shot these mobile listening devices placed in residential areas were picking up. I think they set gun shot record that month. Now on the plus side I got to see first hand what one of these mobile devices looked like.

I guess it must be a slow shooting day in the twin-hoods.

SoonerBoy18
05-23-2012, 05:55 PM
Minnesota has fans?

RadicalModerate
05-23-2012, 06:11 PM
Minnesota--specifically the Twin Cities area, especially in the vicinity of Brooklyn Park (NE Minneapolis as compared to St. Paul in the area near Swede Hollow)--is nearly as scary as Kansas City around 12th Street and Vine. But not as frightening as . . . say . . . Compton. A'ite?

However . . .
The statement that "Timberwolves Fans" (probably Minnesotans) Don't Act Like Okies" is difficult to refute.
In fact, based on personal observation, I am sure that it is true.

BTW: Most of the killings you read about in the papers up there are different versions of the effects of Cabin Fever. Some are pretty bizarre. In a colder climate sorta way . . .

lindsey
05-23-2012, 06:19 PM
The writer is giving advice not drawing a comparison...Timberwolves fans, (pause) Don't act like Okies.

The entire thing read to me like a high school mean girl who has become jealous of someone who shouldn't be as popular as she is and do to her immaturity can only react by bringing the other person (OKC) down. I mean, really? What trash.

TaoMaas
05-23-2012, 06:36 PM
I think this writer ought to worry about his team getting to the playoffs before he starts handing out advice.

Spartan
05-23-2012, 06:43 PM
Minnesota--specifically the Twin Cities area, especially in the vicinity of Brooklyn Park (NE Minneapolis as compared to St. Paul in the area near Swede Hollow)--is nearly as scary as Kansas City around 12th Street and Vine. But not as frightening as . . . say . . . Compton. A'ite?

However . . .
The statement that "Timberwolves Fans" (probably Minnesotans) Don't Act Like Okies" is difficult to refute.
In fact, based on personal observation, I am sure that it is true.

BTW: Most of the killings you read about in the papers up there are different versions of the effects of Cabin Fever. Some are pretty bizarre. In a colder climate sorta way . . .

Wood chipper? :tongue:

Laramie
05-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Okies are not current residents of Oklahoma. Okies are people who left (migrated from) Oklahoma during the 30s Dust Bowl and Depression eras.

bretthexum
05-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Saw this today in the Star Tribune. Just had to laugh. Talk about ghetto - go to the Target Center and and watch a wolves game... scary down there many times.

There are some REALLY bad parts of Minneapolis. Worse than the worst of OKC? I don't know. But we're also twice the size of OKC.

mugofbeer
05-23-2012, 08:35 PM
At least we haven't elected a pro wrestler and a comedian for elected officials, though there are a lot we have elected that aren't any better

OSUMom
05-23-2012, 09:59 PM
This guy is a goober.

Stan Silliman
05-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Sounds like a little jealously. My cousin's husband owns a newspaper in M-StP (also one here) and they're not immune to receiving their share of kidding, including an article I wrote in 2010:

Brutally_Honest_T-Wolves (http://www.sillimanonsports.com/Brutally_Honest_T-Wolves.html)

blangtang
05-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Not sure if anyone caught this, but here is the response.

-----

To my fans in Oklahoma City
Posted by: Jim Souhan under NBA playoffs, Wolves management Updated: May 24, 2012 - 11:50 AM

I would like to thank all of the Thunder fans who have written to me in the last couple of days. I do regret to tell you that the email address you have been using has been diverted to another person, so I haven’t actually been able to read your emails, but I thank you for your efforts.
If you would like to send me emails that will actually make it before my eyes, please address them to Shartman@startribune.com. Thank you.

(Note, that is one of the other StarTribune writer's email...what a funny guy...)

continued...
http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/blogs/153676885.html

mmonroe
05-25-2012, 08:31 AM
this guy is a joke

Just the facts
05-25-2012, 09:02 AM
I can't believe people are getting worked up by this guy.

bretthexum
05-25-2012, 09:18 AM
I can't believe people are getting worked up by this guy.

Although I think people are over-reacting a bit... putting a piece in the paper just for the sake of trolling is ridiculous. He's trying to be cute and funny but he isn't either.

And this coming from someone who lives in Minneapolis!

Just the facts
05-25-2012, 12:04 PM
Although I think people are over-reacting a bit... putting a piece in the paper just for the sake of trolling is ridiculous. He's trying to be cute and funny but he isn't either.

One thing is for sure, he is uneducated. The Pony Express ended in 1861, 46 years before Oklahoma became a state, and the route never came close to present day Oklahoma. It went through Nebraska, Wyoming, and Utah on its way to San Francisco.

Stan Silliman
05-25-2012, 12:14 PM

Brett,

Jim Souhan lives in Minneapolis, but he formerly wrote for the Ft. Worth paper and the Dallas Morning News. There's a ton of Texas snark in his Okie cliches.

wallbreaker
05-25-2012, 12:51 PM
I thought the first article was sort of funny, and nothing to get upset about. His response however, shows his maturity, class, and intelligence (or lack thereof).

Soonerus
05-25-2012, 02:54 PM
Who are the "Timberwolves" ???

Questor
05-25-2012, 08:54 PM
The guy's article is just bad from a factual standpoint in a lot of ways. It's not like OKC is the only team printing up playoffs T-Shirts... am I misremembering or doesn't Dallas do that too? And for the most part it wasn't Kobe that we were booing... it was "Meta World Peace." Considering how obnoxious that guy is I am happy that the worst he got here was just booing.

bluedogok
05-25-2012, 09:03 PM
It's not as if the T-Wolves have had much of a chance to print playoff t-shirts.....

Just the facts
05-27-2012, 07:07 AM
The guy's article is just bad from a factual standpoint in a lot of ways. It's not like OKC is the only team printing up playoffs T-Shirts... am I misremembering or doesn't Dallas do that too? And for the most part it wasn't Kobe that we were booing... it was "Meta World Peace." Considering how obnoxious that guy is I am happy that the worst he got here was just booing.

Miami does the T-shirts as well.

OKCisOK4me
05-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Funny thing about this article is, last night when I was watching the end of the 76ers vs. Celtics game, I'm sure I heard the Celtic fans chanting "Beat the Heat" as if it was their first time ever to make it to the Eastern Conference Finals...

Laramie
05-30-2012, 12:48 PM
It's not as if the T-Wolves have had much of a chance to print playoff t-shirts.....

Oh, so true!

Miami, Los Angeles Clippers, Memphis, Indiana, Dallas and a number of teams are having their fans sport hometeam T-shirts--this Minneasota writer is just trying to make a name for himself--looking for attention, anyway he can get it!

SoonerBoy18
05-30-2012, 05:52 PM
A resident of San Antonio hit the nail in the head saying "Oklahoma City is a city to embrace, not bash"