View Full Version : More retail coming to Bricktown

metro
05-06-2005, 11:48 AM
Boutique to bring style to Bricktown

By Tom Lindley
The Oklahoman

It was a tiresome plea that became the mantra for my two daughters' teen years.
"We've got to drive to Dallas to shop," they would say.

"For jeans?" I would respond in disbelief before pointing them in the direction of the mall.

Bernard Davis arrived in town too late to do me much good, but maybe it will bode well for the parents of other seekers of popular brand- name and private-label jeans.

By the end of the month, Davis will be selling private-label jeans and other trendy apparel in Bricktown at prices more befitting the Oklahoma prairie than the New York skyscraper the stores in Dallas want to charge.

Wearers of high-end, brand-name jeans pay an average of $120 a pair, with some going for as much as $200. Davis says his special line of denim will range in price from $60 to $80.

"It's not like the demand isn't here," Davis said of Oklahoma City. "It's just that we haven't had the supply."

Davis may or may not be offering a good deal, but what makes his arrival noteworthy is that Fire Fly will be the first contemporary fashion boutique to set up shop in lower Bricktown.

Although the 1,600-square-foot slab of polished concrete Davis' shop will occupy doesn't compare to many of the deals Bricktown mastermind Randy Hogan has pulled off, this is an important first step for downtown's mixed-use center.

"It's like we're grabbing a brass ring," Hogan said. "We've felt retail was something we had to earn. First, we had to get the foot traffic."

A shopping desire
As much as tourists and the locals like to eat, there is a sense that ultimately Bricktown also must quench their desire to shop.

With that in mind, Hogan stood on the sidewalk Tuesday morning trying to pave the way for the long-awaited coming of boutique retail by trying to persuade a local banker to relocate an automatic teller machine under construction in front of one of Davis' store windows.

Davis, naturally, wants to show off his private label jeans to the world. What good is an automatic teller if customers never get a chance to see the merchandise?

"It's huge," Davis said of the ATM, which looked a lot bigger in real life than on a sketch Davis was shown a while back. "Even worse, it's yellow."

It's now Hogan's problem to solve.

Nonetheless, it's a nice problem for a developer to have -- retailers clamoring for space. It wasn't that long ago that few people had a grasp of the big picture, much less the urge to start a land run for such a tiny spot of ground in lower Bricktown.

Davis and his partners staked their claim on the belief that Bricktown has a bright future as a mixed-use urban lifestyle center.

It is a concept that Davis, who was born in Oklahoma City, has had success with as a retailer in Dallas' West End shopping district, and one he has familiarity with having lived much of his life in Europe, where most people work and play not far from where they live.

With foot traffic of about 6 million people a year, Bricktown is headed in the same direction. It's anchored by Bass Pro Shops on one end and two arenas and a convention center on the other. Davis likes the thought of being caught in the middle, not far from a 16-screen theater. It will get even better when condominium living arrives across from the fountain, along the banks of the canal.

The plan doesn't stop with selling jeans to older teens. Davis and his partners are close to completing arrangements to lease space on the ground floor of the Sonic Building, where a combination denim store and martini-type denim bar catering to members of the over-30 crowd who want to show off their branded jeans is planned. A glass door will separate the two.

Inside the bar, fruity-tasting alcoholic stick drinks will be the specialty, not the dry martinis of my parents' generation, all of which will make an interesting contrast to whatever is taking place across the canal at Toby Keith's new restaurant and music hall.

However, Davis senses there will be no incompatibility issues.

"We all get the same media today -- MTV, the Oscars, magazines, which means we have the same desires to get the same things," Davis said.

Besides, all you have to do is look around to realize that jeans never go out of style.

Write me: P.O. Box 25125, Oklahoma City, OK 73125 Fax me: 475-3183

Call me: (405)936-0175

E-mail me: tlindley@cox.net

Midtowner
05-06-2005, 01:06 PM
You know.. this is nearly a total hijack.. but why doesn't Sonic run a bar serving alcholic drinks in Bricktown? How great would it be to have some of those great Sonic drinks filled with your favorite liquor?

metro
05-06-2005, 02:48 PM
what are you talking about total hijack??

Midtowner
05-06-2005, 03:26 PM
what are you talking about total hijack??

Change of topic.

I don't think the article discussed Sonic getting a liquor license for their Bricktown store, but man.. Sonic Daquiris do sound good :)

floater
05-08-2005, 02:56 PM
Interesting concept. But I still think that ground floor Sonic space should be filled by a use that complements Sonic, like a Sonic merchandise store, toy store specializing in classic models, or 50's novelties, drive-in museum, Route 66 store, even Midtowner's club idea.

First floor space in its current building is not like first floor space at its former building: it's not part of an urban street wall where its glass frontage is meant to bring in people already on the street. The new use should be a destination in itself. We'll see if this jeans store/lounge becomes that.

Midtowner
05-08-2005, 03:26 PM
I don't know how she heard of it, but my girlfriend told me that this place was going in, and that she was excited to see it. I guess she heard about it from some of her students.

Sounds like the place is already creating quite a buzz.

mranderson
05-08-2005, 03:32 PM
Creating "quite a buzz?" Yes. At $200.00 a pair for jeans, the word is spreading so people will stay away.

Jeans for $200.00 a pair? I have better things to do with my money than to buy overpriced Wrangler jeans.

metro
05-08-2005, 06:31 PM
mranderson, where are you getting the $200 figure, the article stated between $60 - $80 that would rival any two hundred dollar pair of jeans, I personally understand the quality of higher priced jeans, I buy less pairs but they last longer and are better material and style. I will buy them and I know plenty of people who will. Now I don't have to go to Dallas or Miami to get them. I highly doubt any of the styles will be anything but wranglers. Unless you consider Armani "western". We should be exited downtown is getting upscale retail.

mranderson
05-08-2005, 06:47 PM
The article actually said some higher prices than that. You add sales tax and parking for Bricktown and it figures $200.00. Plus, no matter what the label says, they are still made from the same material, same thread, same zipper. You pay through the nose for that designers name.

You can keep your label that costs $2.00 and markup being trhough the roof because of some yo-yo's name. I will spend MY $200.00 on better investments.

metro
05-09-2005, 09:24 AM
Still don't see anything about him saying carrying $200 jeans. All I see is :

By the end of the month, Davis will be selling private-label jeans and other trendy apparel in Bricktown at prices more befitting the Oklahoma prairie than the New York skyscraper the stores in Dallas want to charge.

Wearers of high-end, brand-name jeans pay an average of $120 a pair, with some going for as much as $200. Davis says his special line of denim will range in price from $60 to $80.

HOT ROD
05-10-2005, 03:23 AM
Im excited about upscale urban retail coming downtown. And a full 5 years ahead of schedule!! (given the prediction of many on this forum, even!)

Hopefully, this will be a trend that will not end!

By the way, Anderson - where is your positive enthusiasm? We have been complaining long and hard about the lack of retail downtown; when here it is and your attitude is not commensurate with your previous stake. Let's support downtown if nothing more than a good word of support/marketing so that it will continue the renaissance!

Nuclear_2525
05-10-2005, 06:56 AM
I agree with HotRod, I figured everyone would be pumped that Bricktown was getting upscale retail. I know many people, including myself, that will pay this much for jeans or clothes in general. You are forgeting that there is a University to the south, and Edmond to the north filled with people that spend this much on clothing. I would much rather see the first phase of retail in Bricktown set the bar high and be high-end clothing, than to see some 5 for $15 t-shirt stands going up around the area. I am glad that someone is taking the initiative to put in a one of a kind shop in Bricktown.

metro
05-10-2005, 09:04 AM
Thanks Hot Rod and Nuclear, I was beginning to think I was the only one that wasnt contradictory to our past statements and excited about this. I'm glad to hear there is 3 people that are. Exactly, we need more high-end, unique retail, and downtown for the location is the best place to get more people downtown and attract the right young professional and college clientele.

Midtowner
05-10-2005, 09:20 AM
The article actually said some higher prices than that. You add sales tax and parking for Bricktown and it figures $200.00. Plus, no matter what the label says, they are still made from the same material, same thread, same zipper. You pay through the nose for that designers name.

You can keep your label that costs $2.00 and markup being trhough the roof because of some yo-yo's name. I will spend MY $200.00 on better investments.

Actually, there's a big difference in a pair of $120 jeans and Wal-Mart jeans.

I usually go somehwere in the middle, my typical pair of jeans is between $40 and $80 depending on what I like, and where the sales are.

My girlfriend, a school teacher is very excited to see an upscale jeans store though. I'm sure we'll be customers.

Karried
05-10-2005, 11:00 AM
I'm happy and optimistic to see any retail establishments coming - the more the merrier... thanks for sharing.

Luke
05-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Just because I may not purchase a $200 pair of jeans doesn't mean I'm not happy to see an upscale retailer in Bricktown. It's great news and I wish them the best!

BDP
05-27-2005, 01:41 PM
Creating "quite a buzz?" Yes. At $200.00 a pair for jeans, the word is spreading so people will stay away.

Jeans for $200.00 a pair? I have better things to do with my money than to buy overpriced Wrangler jeans.

I think someone might not be paying attention to the jeans market lately  If you are satisfied with Wrangler jeans, then I totally understand and more power to you. But designer jeans are in no way the same thing. They often are NOT made from the same material. Wrangler is 100% rigid or prewashed cotton denim. In addition to several different weights of denim, the designers often have lycra, spandex, and other materials involved. Their stitching is often more ornamental. And Wrangler offers NO styling or cuts that matches jeans by Lucky, Seven, True Religion, and other $100 and up jeans. Designer jeans do actually provide a lot of differentiation from your standard Wrangler or Levi's 501 jeans. Someone in a pair of Sevens will look VERY different than someone wearing Warnglers. I understand if you don't want to pay for that look, but most under 30 are already doing it. (just go to e-bay and search some of the brands I mentioned, some sell for over $100 USED)

In addition, jeans hold a different status today. Many can now wear them to work and can "dress up" jeans. This means 1) they want a jean that is more stylish in these applications and 2) the $100-$200 that was spent on a work outfit or dress is often spent on jeans. Whether this will fly in Oklahoma, we’ll just have to see (though Lime Leopard and Gil's already do it), but it is in no way strange or unusual to see a three digit price tag hanging off of jeans these days.

John
05-27-2005, 03:38 PM
Every pair of jeans I own is what would be considered a 'designer' jean.

I know people from all walks of life that have at least one pair of Seven, AG, Blue Cult, True Religion, etc. jean.

I don't know if the Firefly 'house' brand will do as well as they expect, but it is definatley a niche in the market that hasn't been filled in Oklahoma. Many friends of mine will go to Dallas for jeans, among other things.

Just something to think about.

metro
05-27-2005, 03:44 PM
Don't forget about even better designer brands such as Armani Exchange, Emporio Armani, Diesel etc. These easily can go 100 used. Anyhow, I'm glad to see more halfway upscale retail coming to downtown. I think the Firefly brand will do well as it fills a much needed niche in Oklahoma. For those who want quality jeans but don't want to spend upwards of 100-500. FYI though, there is now an official Firefly thread.