View Full Version : Thunder Alley - Security and Violence issues

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

BigBadBen
05-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Has anything been mentioned about the crowd being attracted by the jumbotron on the side of the arena?

When we left the game last night, it looked like every gangbabger in OKC was hanging out around the arena. None of them watching the game, but instead trying to intimidate people, and flashing gang signs.

Ive never seen it like this. My wife felt threatened and that pissed me off.

If that is the element showing the game outside is going to attract then the plug should be pulled.

No tickets? Watch at home!

Pete
05-17-2012, 01:59 PM
You should have found a cop and told them immediately.

If it is truly a situation where people felt unsafe, the City needs to get more cops down there and keep order.

This sort of gathering is very important in helping to build a sense of community. Rather than staying away, there are easy solutions here. And I'm very sure the City would want to know about such things.

bucktalk
05-17-2012, 02:19 PM
I hope someone has contacted the appropriate authorities to resolve this immediately about future games! If OKC police were not present in large numbers last night - I'd like to know why they weren't .

Roadhawg
05-17-2012, 03:06 PM
I hope someone has contacted the appropriate authorities to resolve this immediately about future games! If OKC police were not present in large numbers last night - I'd like to know why they weren't .

They all had tickets and were inside watching the game.

MikeLucky
05-17-2012, 03:08 PM
They prominently mentioned the gathering on the TNT broadcast... so hopefully if steps to legitimize the event haven't already been taken, they should be... and of course that involves proper security.

ultimatesooner
05-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Lol, there are cops all around and ta is not dangerous at all

OKCisOK4me
05-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Has anything been mentioned about the crowd being attracted by the jumbotron on the side of the arena?

When we left the game last night, it looked like every gangbabger in OKC was hanging out around the arena. None of them watching the game, but instead trying to intimidate people, and flashing gang signs.

If that is the element showing the game outside is going to attract then the plug should be pulled.

I was there last night through about the 7 minute mark of the third quarter and even though there were all kinds of ethnicities down there, there was nothing like that.

Bullbear
05-17-2012, 03:30 PM
I was there in TA last night. .I was there monday night as well. my first times visiting TA. I have been to many games but this was a great substitute.. we had a great time. it was not threatening at all. there was a huge police and security presence there as well.. they made announcements all night long of how to text about disturbances in your area. they also do a great job of keeping people out of walkways so that people move freely in walkways. I am no THUG and I think its great!

adaniel
05-17-2012, 04:48 PM
I just saw this thread and was really shocked to hear this.

I asked my coworker who was down there if he felt any sort of menacing presence with less than ideal people. He said no such thing about thugs walking around or flashing gang signs.

MDot
05-17-2012, 05:04 PM
It was probably nothing more than some kids that got pumped up and were acting hyper-active.

OKCisOK4me
05-17-2012, 05:12 PM
I just saw this thread and was really shocked to hear this.

I asked my coworker who was down there if he felt any sort of menacing presence with less than ideal people. He said no such thing about thugs walking around or flashing gang signs.

Yeah, it's like the guy who called into the Sports Animal saying that he thinks its wrong to chant Boomer Sooner at a Thunder game. No one else has experienced that. I think it was a one time thing and I doubt it was meant to be taken as a menacing threat.

kevinpate
05-17-2012, 06:00 PM
When you left the game the folks outside were not watching the game? Commercials perhaps, a timeout perhaps.

Sounds like you left before it was over because well, duh, if it was over and you made your way outside there would of course be no game to watch. Not like they time delay it for the jumbo screen.

So perhaps you missed a great ending and got all afeared for little to no reason. Wasn't there, don't know. Do know the shots I saw on telly looked a lot like the folks I saw inside via the telly. Fans having a tense worried night but happy to be there all the same.

Sorry your spouse felt afraid. truly am. I hear that from time to time about OKC DT, even some spots in Norman. If it helps any, there are plenty of spots far far scarier than those which freak some folk out.

Spartan
05-17-2012, 06:20 PM

How often does your wife feel threatened?

I thought it was awesome that such a raucous environment could exist OUTSIDE the arena. I think it compliments exactly the kind of community passion that the Thunder have going for them. Granted, I was a little annoyed at the sea of picnic blankets and lawn chairs haphazardly laid down that you have to walk through in order to get inside the arena, but that is a minor inconvenience to ME in order for THEM to have a good experience.

Sometimes we all need to stop being so selfish and tolerate other people's existence just occasionally. You can go back to blaming anything and everything that makes your wife feel threatened when we're not coming together as a city...

I would also be curious for you to describe in detail what a gang sign being flashed looks like. Not that I doubt you individually, I just know I would probably not recognize it, and I kinda doubt if others would as well..I think teenagers at the mall flash more signs than "gangbangers" at the Thunder games. And that actually does make me feel threatened because I know there's a small chance I'll actually have to contend with those whiny punks out in the real world some day...

betts
05-17-2012, 06:23 PM
When I left the game last night my biggest problem was all the trash the crowd outside had left on the ground. I saw lots of people, but they all seemed pretty happy to have won. There was nothing threatening that I noticed at all. I walk home after the games and I have never once felt unsafe anywhere along the route.

Also, since the arena only holds a little over 18,000 people, not everyone can have a ticket. I think it's incredible that the Thunder provides entertainment for people who can't be inside watching the game. I'm thrilled when they show video of the crowd outside the Peake enjoying the game and the companionship of like-minded people.

Dustin
05-17-2012, 06:32 PM
Is this what you're referring to? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=M7RDQ2CBz60)

Bullbear
05-17-2012, 07:00 PM

the more I think about it the more offensive I find it.
No tickets watch at home.. but you said people weren't watching the game outside.. how do you know? did you leave before the game was over?
if so why don't you stay at home and leave the tickets for true fans who would rather watch the entire game than worry that they might get caught it traffic.

in our group we had 3 lovely women they had a great time and didn't feel threatened at all.

Pete
05-17-2012, 07:32 PM
Is this what you're referring to? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=M7RDQ2CBz60)

Love that video! The O-K-C chanting at the end gave me chills!

I'm sorry but these impromptu crowds and spontaneous celebrations are just fantastic unanticipated benefits of having great places for people to gather and giving them a reason to do so.

I have never, ever seen OKC come together as a community like this and it makes me very happy.

Imagine if we make the finals! All of downtown/Bricktown will be one massive party.

All this brings some new challenges but they are ones we should feel happy to face.

Matt
05-17-2012, 07:51 PM
The gang activity you witnessed last night was unfortunately a direct result of James Harden hanging out with Snoop Dogg.

jn1780
05-17-2012, 08:03 PM
Hmm, A wee bit prejudice perhaps?

Questor
05-17-2012, 08:19 PM
How funny, I was just thinking of the notorious Snoop thread.

Is this what you're referring to?

That is both hysterical and awesome. Hysterically awesome. Looks like it was great fun.

adaniel
05-17-2012, 08:22 PM

OMG all those scary minorities lol!

Seriously, I agree with Pete 100% All I see is a diverse group of people from all walks of life from a large city (and who probably otherwise would not interact with each other) celebrating, high fiving, chanting, etc. Most cities would KILL to have this kind of excitement and unity. I was in NOLA the day after the Saints won the Super Bowl and it was honestly one of the most uplifting things I have ever been a part of. If the Thunder go all the way I can totally see that happening here.

Now that I watch that video, I'm kinda pissed I decided to skip out on this!

ultimatesooner
05-17-2012, 09:02 PM
http://youtu.be/iz6TluDL1L8

Here is a longer video, looks like people having fun celebrating an epic playoff victory

jn1780
05-17-2012, 09:06 PM
http://youtu.be/iz6TluDL1L8

Here is a longer video, looks like people having fun celebrating an epic playoff victory

I have to laugh at the title of that video. Riot? Maybe they didn't mean that literaly.

Pete
05-17-2012, 09:08 PM
I posted this on the Devon thread and it shows the sizable crowd last night at Thunder Alley.

Think about all the things just in this photo that were unthinkable only a few years ago:

Our own NBA team, and in the playoffs
The arena being improved to big-league standards
A crowd of citizens gathered in mass to watch/celebrate together
A completely abandoned I-40 awaiting demolition
A beautifully re-done Myriad Gardens
A public downtown basketball court
Completely re-done streets and streetscapes
And a gleaming 50-story Devon Tower

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/devon51612b.jpg

ultimatesooner
05-17-2012, 09:24 PM
I have to laugh at the title of that video. Riot? Maybe they didn't mean that literaly.

yeah, its not really a riot until something gets set on fire or tear gas gets deployed

redrunner
05-17-2012, 10:53 PM

Paranoid white couple sees black people and labels them gangbangers? There isn't one bit of credibility to your claim as I and many others who were at the game did not observe this. Thunder fans come in all shapes, sizes and colors. Maybe you're the one that needs to stay at home. This post reeks of the ones who complain about "gangbangers" at Penn Square Mall.

bucktalk
05-20-2012, 07:40 PM
So if Thunder wins Monday night - where will you be? How will you celebrate?

jn1780
05-20-2012, 07:54 PM
So if Thunder wins Monday night - where will you be? How will you celebrate?

Can't say I would do anything too special when the toughest battle will be against the Spurs.

SoonerBoy18
05-20-2012, 08:15 PM
Can't say I would do anything too special when the toughest battle will be against the Spurs.

Yeah it will be fun sending the Lakers fiishin but I wont be too excited for a celebration since every body is now saying the Spurs are the 2012 champions.

MDot
05-20-2012, 09:22 PM
Yeah it will be fun sending the Lakers fiishin but I wont be too excited for a celebration since every body is now saying the Spurs are the 2012 champions.

Yeah, it's going to be fun eliminating the Lakers but I don't want to get too excited until I see how the Thunder play against San Antonio, granted the Lakers don't win the next 3 games. ;-)

betts
05-21-2012, 12:03 AM
Winning every round is an achievement. I'll celebrate. That impromptu bridge party after the last game looked like fun. Here's hoping we get another and that's where I'll be. Then it will be time for a victory beer somewhere. I have a friend who usually chooses the spot.

MDot
05-21-2012, 01:29 AM
Winning every round is an achievement. I'll celebrate. That impromptu bridge party after the last game looked like fun. Here's hoping we get another and that's where I'll be. Then it will be time for a victory beer somewhere. I have a friend who usually chooses the spot.

That did look really fun. Makes me jealous that I wasn't down there. LOL

kevinpate
05-21-2012, 05:01 AM
We've talked about joining the crowd outside the arena tonight. We've also talked about enjoying the game at home, with or without inviting anyone else over. Will depend on (a) naps, as we can watch live or watch via dvr and (b) what all I get done before 4:30 toward my Tue. schedule. Come to think of it, mostly (b) as that influences (a) on its own. Might be nice to get out on a Monday evening for a change though.

bucktalk
05-21-2012, 05:54 AM

I guess I didn't hear about the bridge party. Can you give me any kind of details? Thanks much!

SoonerBoy18
05-21-2012, 09:23 AM
Yeah, it's going to be fun eliminating the Lakers but I don't want to get too excited until I see how the Thunder play against San Antonio, granted the Lakers don't win the next 3 games. ;-)

Lol yeah but hey they could very well steal the 2 away games, we obviously know how to keep it close and come from behind. What I dont see is us losing by a blow out lol

MDot
05-21-2012, 03:45 PM
Lol yeah but hey they could very well steal the 2 away games, we obviously know how to keep it close and come from behind. What I dont see is us losing by a blow out lol

It will be a close series no doubt, but if the Thunder can win two, even one game in San Antonio then they'll win the series most likely.

BrettM2
05-21-2012, 04:17 PM
It will be a close series no doubt, but if the Thunder can win two, even one game in San Antonio then they'll win the series most likely.

I don't think anything is "likely" against San Antonio. They've proven for years they can beat us in their gym, our gym, or the gravel lot behind the high school. Not saying we can't beat them because we are capable of beating any team in this league, but SA is definitely the toughest match up for us.

dcsooner
05-21-2012, 04:31 PM
I don't think anything is "likely" against San Antonio. They've proven for years they can beat us in their gym, our gym, or the gravel lot behind the high school. Not saying we can't beat them because we are capable of beating any team in this league, but SA is definitely the toughest match up for us.

Agree, the Thunder are a good team, but, they have yet to demonstrate the discipline and focus on a consistent basis to beat a team like SA 4 games out of seven.They owned us in the regular season. It wasn't close

UrbanNebraska
05-21-2012, 07:45 PM
I love the huge crowd outside the arena! I can only imagine the energy in the city, Go Thunder!

Pete
05-21-2012, 09:31 PM
Here's a couple screen captures from tonight:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/thunder52112.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/thunder52112b.jpg

ljbab728
05-21-2012, 10:11 PM
I hope that great crowd continues to stay classy after the game. The eyes of the basketball world on us and we want to show our best side. Both teams were very classy after the game with congratulations and hugs.

MDot
05-21-2012, 10:39 PM

For the record, I have consistantly stated that I think San Antonio will win the series but I assume you haven't seen any of those post's. I'm just trying to stay optimistic for SoonerBoy18. LOL

Richard at Remax
05-21-2012, 11:02 PM
So much for staying classy. Watched from our place at centennial as shots were fired in front of sonic and there is mass chaos

MDot
05-21-2012, 11:11 PM
So much for staying classy. Watched from our place at centennial as shots were fired in front of sonic and there is mass chaos

I heard about that. Do you know any of the details?

Dustin
05-21-2012, 11:14 PM
Someone just shot in Bricktown following the game. I don't have details as I'm just now hearing about it.

adaniel
05-21-2012, 11:19 PM
Someone just shot in Bricktown following the game. I don't have details as I'm just now hearing about it.

OMG I just saw this on twitter. I literally walked in the door 15 minutes ago from the arena and was about to write on here how well behaved everyone was.

Well, I guess that's the end of that. SMH....

Richard at Remax
05-21-2012, 11:26 PM
Well when I was walking back a big group of black kids were running east on Reno shouting after people. When I got up to the balcony I heard the last of the shots and people scattered. Just saw them loading three into ambulances. It just makes me so mad that they have to bring their nonsense to a family environment. Half of the crowd outside as I was leaving was underage kids not even paying attention to the game. Something needs to be done. Granted there were cops everywhere and this didn't happen in thunder alley it still is disappointing

SoonerBoy18
05-21-2012, 11:29 PM
I was at Thunder alley with a few other people and we got lost like 3 times. And my god! Half those people didnt even go to WATCH the game, there were people coming to Thunder Alley like it was a club. Sad!

SoonerBoy18
05-21-2012, 11:33 PM
Well when I was walking back a big group of black kids were running east on Reno shouting after people. When I got up to the balcony I heard the last of the shots and people scattered. Just saw them loading three into ambulances. It just makes me so mad that they have to bring their nonsense to a family environment. Half of the crowd outside as I was leaving was underage kids not even paying attention to the game. Something needs to be done. Granted there were cops everywhere and this didn't happen in thunder alley it still is disappointing

It was such an embarrassment for our city. During the 3rd I heard there were a group of people fighting and you saw people running east to west, there was not enough security tonight.

adaniel
05-21-2012, 11:36 PM
I'm so pissed! I was leaving the arena and everyone was so happy and I get home to this? How embarrassing for OKC!! This is now on several national news outlets and is trending on twitter.

Thank you idiots with guns for ruining a good night and shaming a city. I am listening to police helicopters right now from my place in midtown!

blangtang
05-21-2012, 11:39 PM
twitter totally blew up. 8 people got shot? jeez... at least there are no more home games for awhile

SoonerBoy18
05-21-2012, 11:41 PM
I am nervous as to whats going to happen next week when TNT do their Inside The NBA edition here, hopefully there will be more securit. I never thought it would be that scary at Thunder Alley.

ljbab728
05-21-2012, 11:45 PM
This is beyond ridiculous and is not what our city and fans are about.

http://newsok.com/multiple-people-shot-downtown-after-oklahoma-city-thunder-game/article/3677634

Soonerman
05-21-2012, 11:48 PM
I wonder if this was gang related?

MDot
05-21-2012, 11:50 PM
This really breaks my heart. I don't know if I should be mad about this but I can tell you it has me on the verge of tears from anger and sorrow because this is happening in my hometown to possibly innocent bystanders. An amazing night has just become one of the most pitiful nights. SMFH

Jake
05-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Truly a shame. It breaks my heart. Big league city, big league problems I guess.

Soonerman
05-21-2012, 11:54 PM
SMH What the hell is wrong with people??

blangtang
05-21-2012, 11:56 PM
glad i stayed home. the Bricktown image is gonna take a big hit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7BfHw_kGjA&feature=youtu.be

adaniel
05-22-2012, 12:06 AM
So was the shooting in thunder alley or Bricktown?

SoonerBoy18
05-22-2012, 12:07 AM
This really breaks my heart. I don't know if I should be mad about this but I can tell you it has me on the verge of tears from anger and sorrow because this is happening in my hometown to possibly innocent bystanders. An amazing night has just become one of the most pitiful nights. SMFH

Whats really sad is that half those idiots didnt even go to watch the game, they was partying like they were at a club.