View Full Version : Imax

In_Tulsa
05-05-2005, 07:28 AM
I just saw in the paper that the AMC in OKC is getting an IMAX by the end of the year this is good news for you guys.

TheImmortal
05-05-2005, 08:07 AM
i found this article from the Detroit Free Press website:

The AMC 30 multiplex theater in Sterling Heights will soon be the new home to an IMAX megascreen for first-run movies.

AMC Entertainment Inc., the world's second-largest theater chain, agreed to build five IMAX MPX theater systems in several commercial multiplexes in several U.S. markets. The joint venture deal between Toronto-based AMC and IMAX Corp. would bring first-run Hollywood features to the oversized screens.

Terms of the deal weren't disclosed.

The other cities that will be getting IMAX theaters in the deal are Kansas City, Mo.,; Phoenix; Oklahoma City, and Omaha, Neb.

It is not clear when the new AMC IMAX theater in Sterling Heights will open.

Michigan currently has four IMAX theaters in Detroit, Dearborn, Lansing and Grand Rapids.

TheImmortal
05-05-2005, 08:08 AM
I wonder when this project will be completed here? Also, did anyone see that huge crane in front of Quail Springs the other day? Does anyone know what they were doing?

**edit**
Three screens will be installed in Phoenix, Oklahoma City and Omaha, Neb., in mid-September, timed to the release of "Magnificent Desolation: Walking on the Moon 3D."

Luke
05-05-2005, 09:50 AM
Very cool! So, is this going to be at Quail Springs then?

Midtowner
05-05-2005, 09:51 AM
Cinemark was originally going to build an IMAX 3D/SR theater with its Tinseltown theater over on MLK according to this link:

http://www.1570films.com/newthtrs.htm

That was 5 years ago.

Cinemark does operate an IMAX screen in Tulsa, so I think that the Tinseltown location is most likely.

metro
05-05-2005, 11:45 AM
Yes Luke, Quail is the only AMC in OKC right now

John
05-05-2005, 12:22 PM
Also, did anyone see that huge crane in front of Quail Springs the other day? Does anyone know what they were doing?

I wasn't in the area, but I would assume it was part of the construction of either Home Depot or Sportsman's World.

metro
05-05-2005, 02:17 PM
Home Depot's pretty much done so I would have to say its for the Sportsman's World

John
05-05-2005, 11:49 PM
Home Depot's pretty much done so I would have to say its for the Sportsman's World

Checked it out today. Sportsman's World, indeed.

Patrick
05-05-2005, 11:53 PM
Yup, The crane near Quail Springs Mall is working on the Sportsman's World. I have no clue where the IMAX will go. I'm guessing it will take up more valuable parking space in front of Quail Springs.

I'm kind of amazed they're going through with this. Several prestigious marketing studies have shown that the OKC metro market cannot support an IMAX theater. That's already been shown with the failure of the IWERKS theater at Omniplex. But, I suppose AMC Quail Springs has about as good a shot as any theater in town to support one. That theater does very well for some reason....I, for one, refuse to pay $8 for any movie, when I can go to Tinsletown and pay $4.25.

Doug Loudenback
05-06-2005, 12:37 AM
Yup, The crane near Quail Springs Mall is working on the Sportsman's World. I have no clue where the IMAX will go. I'm guessing it will take up more valuable parking space in front of Quail Springs.
I'm kind of amazed they're going through with this.

I'm not amazed, if the Omniplex Imax is the point of comparison. Have you ever had your grandchild with you at the Omniplex Imax waiting to get tickets? You might as well go somewhere else, which is what we did.

Doug

metro
05-06-2005, 10:00 AM
Exactly, I typically do not drive over to the Tinseltown, Omniplex area, however Quail is alot nicer and more convenient to alot more people with higher incomes, their is also shopping and food right there without leaving your car unlike Omniplex.

In_Tulsa
05-06-2005, 11:25 AM
Are there any IMAX In OKC now?

Doug Loudenback
05-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Yes, at the Omniplex (by the Okc Zoo & Remmington Park). That's the one I was referring to, above.

While not IMAX, the Cine Capri in the Harkins Bricktown Cinema (16 screens, but the Cine Capri is the "showpiece") is quite nice ... VERY large screen, large auditorium, comfortable seating. It claims to have the biggest screen in Oklahoma and, whether that be so or not, the sound system is absolutely outstanding! It's 100% digital, display and sound. The auditorium is "curtained" all the way around, which is nice, too. Frankly, the Harkins Bricktown has become my "cinema of choice" in Okc. Here's a pic and a link: http://www.dougloudenback.com/downtown/okc30.htm

chrisok
05-06-2005, 03:09 PM
The IMAX is a 99% sure thing at Quail Springs. AMC executives have to do a "walk through" to give the official approval. They will be converting an existing 500 theatre into the IMAX.

OKC is one of 5 test markets for this. 3 will open in June and 2 (including ours) will open in September.

brianinok
05-07-2005, 08:30 AM
The article on newsok states that they are installing the IMAX at 5 of the most successful AMC theaters in the country.

I'm glad to hear that OKC's is doing so well.

metro
05-09-2005, 10:00 AM
AMC Theater at Quail Springs to add IMAX screen in September

By Tricia Pemberton
The Oklahoman

An IMAX theater will be added to the AMC Theater at Quail Springs Mall in September.
IMAX Corp. this week announced a plan to build five theaters in what the company termed "high-performing AMC megaplexes."

Terms were not released for the joint venture between Kansas City, Mo.-based AMC Entertainment Inc. and IMAX Corp., which has headquarters in both New York and Toronto. The companies said they would share the cost and profitability of the theaters.

IMAX Theaters convert Hollywood films into a format that gives crystal clear images that span up to eight stories high and wrap-around digital surround sound that makes audiences feel as if they are part of the actual movie set.

The estimated cost to build a new IMAX theater is $3.4 million. The deal with AMC, however, will make use of the more cost-effective IMAX MPX theater system technology. Retrofitting existing auditoriums will save further costs, but the companies did not give construction figures.

Other markets to get the theaters are Kansas City, Missouri, Phoenix, Detroit and Omaha.

The theaters in Kansas City and Detroit are scheduled to open June 15. The other three, including the one at Quail Springs, will all open in September timed for the release of "Magnificent Desolation: Walking on the Moon 3D.

This will be the first IMAX in Oklahoma City, after an attempt failed a number of years ago to bring the giant screen to Bricktown. There is an IMAX in Tulsa.