View Full Version : Should baptism be required for church membership?

Patrick
05-05-2005, 01:26 AM
Relaxationstation opened a can of worms when she mentinoed getting re-baptized to join the Baptist church. Thought it would be a great topic of debate. I know Midtowner and the other Catholics on board probably agree with this, as all new converts to the Catholic faith are required to be sprinkled.

I actually have mixed emotions on this. Megan grew up in the Assembly of God church, and when we decided to get married, she decided to move on over to my denomination, Baptist. Our church accepts most Baptisms from other denominations (of like faith), but they typically don't accept baptisms from Pentecostal faiths, Catholic faiths, etc. Why? The doctrine is completely different. In this sense, baptism is being used as a sign of the new belief system you're entering into. Although it doesn't really represent the true meaning of baptism in the sense of salvation, I can see where it's a goo symbol of your commitment to your new faith. Study the Baptist faith and Assembly faith sometime. The Assembly of God faith is very Armenian in it's doctrine, contrary to the doctrine of the Baptist Church.

Your thoughts?

Midtowner
05-05-2005, 06:37 AM
To join the Catholic Church is actually a pretty involved process. You get a sponsor and go through the RCIA program (no idea what that stands for). They leave mass at a certain point to go to their classes where tehy learn doctrine, history, etc. about the church. Baptism is really only a small part of what they do. Our religion places a great importance on Baptism, but it's only one of our sacraments, and is not a prerequisite for being "saved".

mranderson
05-05-2005, 07:02 AM
If you are converting to Jewdeism, then yes. Their form of baptism would be appropriate. Maybe Catholisim, however, not other prodestant denominations.

Midtowner
05-05-2005, 09:36 PM
The Mikveh in Judaism is a different concept from what we have in Christian religions. Also, protestant churches -- at least Calvinist types view Baptism differently than say Catholics do.

And to comment on what any other religion 'should' be doing, or what people of other religions should be doing (short of things that effect me) is none of my business or anyone else's.

I don't really like the idea of debating what people of different religions should be. Of course, my position is and always will be that all non-Catholics are heathen... But I support birth control.. so what the heck do I know? :)

ErnieBall
05-06-2005, 09:42 AM
To join the Catholic Church is actually a pretty involved process. You get a sponsor and go through the RCIA program (no idea what that stands for). They leave mass at a certain point to go to their classes where tehy learn doctrine, history, etc. about the church. Baptism is really only a small part of what they do. Our religion places a great importance on Baptism, but it's only one of our sacraments, and is not a prerequisite for being "saved".

Roman Catholic Initiation of Adults - RCIA