View Full Version : Big 12 Televsion Deal

ljbab728
05-12-2012, 12:41 AM
I haven't seen much locally about this but it appears to be a signficant development for league stability.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/5/7/3005495/new-big-12-football-media-contract

cjohnson.405
05-13-2012, 04:31 PM
It's not the deal itself that creates the stability. It is that all of the schools have signed over their media rights for 6 years and are working on an agreement to sign over rights through the length of the contract. This means if a member leaves, the conference still controls their media rights of that school and the money is distributed to the other member schools.

However, it does look great compared to the ACC deal which was announced this week. ACC schools increase their payouts from $10m to $17m BUT the increase is backloaded. Schools will only see a $1 to $2m increase for the next 9 years and then it starts to move up. The contract also includes 3rd Tier rights, unlike the Big XII which allows member schools to keep and resell their own 3rd Tier rights (see Longhorn Network).

Florida State hates the deal because they already run a $2.4m deficit and the new contract will not help as they hoped and they will be pulling in about half of what Florida receives. Hard to compete that way.

The Florida State chairmen of the Board of Trustees is saying that it is time to talk about joining the Big XII - http://floridastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1364755

ljbab728
05-13-2012, 08:34 PM
That's basically what I meant about stability. This deal could make the Big 12 attractive to some other top schools who might want to join which would improve league stability.

venture
05-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Big 12 just need to be done and get to 14 teams. We probably need to update the Conference Realignment thread since about 20 more schools have switched since the last update. Cincy and Louisville seem like they both want out of the Big East badly now and we are probably the next logical fit for them - also helps WVU out. Not sure how well Clemson and FSU fit though.

ljbab728
05-13-2012, 10:37 PM
Dean Blevins mentioned tonight that there is still serious discussion with Louisville and that Notre Dame is still being courted as a football only member.

Snowman
05-13-2012, 11:28 PM
Some rumors that if Florida State were to move, Miami would likely try moving with them.

SoonerDave
05-14-2012, 08:21 AM
Looks for all the world like the ACC is imploding after their TV deal was signed, which apparently everyone in the conference hates..?? Now FSU, Clemson (etc ?) want out, and they're not making it a secret they'd like to hit the Big 12.

FSU would be a decent "name" get for the Big 12, I s'pose, but in terms of what they've really done lately on the field its iffy. I'm not crazy about bringing in Thug U. Too much baggage.

Clemson would be an OK second-tier get. The question is would FSU continue to schedule UM.....

BoulderSooner
05-14-2012, 08:55 AM
clemson and FSU are both top tier super adds to any conf

SoonerDave
05-14-2012, 10:18 AM
clemson and FSU are both top tier super adds to any conf

I'm inclined to agree on FSU. Clemson....meh....I think its the ACC's answer to A&M; program beset with chronic self-inflation of its value.