View Full Version : Time Magazine and Breastfeeding

ljbab728
05-11-2012, 11:32 PM
Does anyone else think this is just weird? I understand and concur with most arguments about the advantages of breast feeding babies. This goes far beyond that though and I think it enters the world of being unhealthy for both the mother and child and could be interpreted by some as child abuse. Where do you draw the line that says at what age this is acceptible? If the child was 6 or 7 would it still be OK?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/time-breastfeeding-cover-sparks-immediate-controversy-151539970.html

Bunty
05-12-2012, 01:05 AM
I don't think when a mother decides to quit ending breast feeding her child is any business of the world. But eventually in has to end.

ljbab728
05-12-2012, 02:47 AM
I don't think when a mother decides to quit ending breast feeding her child is any business of the world. But eventually in has to end.

It may not be any business of the world, but it can certainly have an affect on both the mother and child depending on the individual circumstance.

Would you think it was any business of the world if the child was 15?

Sheetkeecker
05-12-2012, 04:15 AM
Let's all be open-minded and respect other's rights.

No reason why any son at age say, 15, 16 or 17 should have to stop breast-feeding from Mom.
Many women say it fulfills them deeply, the need for motherhood.

It is their right.
No one has any right to control this.

BBatesokc
05-12-2012, 06:05 AM
oops

BBatesokc
05-12-2012, 06:06 AM
Does anyone else think this is just weird? I understand and concur with most arguments about the advantages of breast feeding babies. This goes far beyond that though and I think it enters the world of being unhealthy for both the mother and child and could be interpreted by some as child abuse. Where do you draw the line that says at what age this is acceptible? If the child was 6 or 7 would it still be OK?

Maybe 'weird' to you, but obviously not to the only people that it matters to - the mother and her child.

Exactly how does this go 'far beyond' and 'enter the world of unhealthy for both the mother and child'? Did you just pull that out of the air?

The World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for at least 2 years and worldwide children are weaned from the breast between the ages of 2 and 7.

I think if a person is weirded-out because of perceived societal 'norms' that's fine, but attaching misinformation like 'unhealthy' and 'child abuse' is just ignorant.

I think you could actually find far more FACTS that show divorcing with young children in the home has a far greater negative effect on kids then, heaven forbid, mother-child bonding. Yet, most people don't give a second thought to that.

WilliamTell
05-12-2012, 06:09 AM
As a parent i dont see how anyone could be against breast feeding but a lot of people are. People have been so brainwashed by corporations to think that something that was made in a lab is the proper way to feed children even under two years old. Heaven forbid a parent uses what god gave them and whats been done for millions of years by every single mammal to feed their offspring. Yeah the pictures is a little weird but its partially because they have him standing on a chair but its made to get peoples attention.Its a magazine, its what they do.

How about everyone stays out of everyone elses business and worry about their own lives.

Sheetkeecker
05-12-2012, 06:11 AM
As a parent i dont see how anyone could be against breast feeding but a lot of people are. Yeah the pictures is a little weird but its partially because they have him standing on a chair but its made to get peoples attention.

How about everyone stays out of everyone elses business and worry about their own lives.

You can say the same about incest, I suppose.
It has been popular in many cultures.

WilliamTell
05-12-2012, 06:16 AM

So breastfeeding is now incest?

Sheetkeecker
05-12-2012, 06:19 AM
So breastfeeding is now incest?

No, breast-feeding is breast-feeding. Incest is incest.
Who's to say it is wrong or impermissible?

Shouldn't people be free to do as they wish?
It would help the children learn sex education and bonding, wouldn't it?

BBatesokc
05-12-2012, 06:19 AM

Seriously? We have people here falsely claiming breast feeding is unhealthy and abuse and now comparing it to incest.

Pretty sad.

Sheetkeecker
05-12-2012, 06:24 AM
Seriously? We have people here falsely claiming breast feeding is unhealthy and abuse and now comparing it to incest.

Pretty sad.

The sad thing is, the worthless RAG Time Magazine, which has sunk to unimaginable depths of unprofessionalism in recent years, has chosen to use such a photograph strictly to make money.

THAT is the outrage.

And some people will try to mealy-mouth through some mentally-vacant explanation at "why" they did it.

Edmond_Outsider
05-12-2012, 07:04 AM
This could have been an interesting discussion. However, it has already become a ideological dead end.

Sheetkeecker
05-12-2012, 07:06 AM
This could have been an interesting discussion. However, it has already become a ideological dead end.

Yes, it has, since you have added something.

Edmond_Outsider
05-12-2012, 07:15 AM
Breastfeeding isn't a political issue. It isn't a culture war issue. It isn't liberal/conservative issue. Not everything in the world breaks down into an us vs. them binary.

And, nobody is suggesting breastfeeding into teen years is normal or desirable. Stating such is absurd.

I suppose there can be no chances lost to belittle and demean as many people as possible if that is the goal.

Sheetkeecker
05-12-2012, 07:22 AM
Breastfeeding isn't a political issue. It isn't a culture war issue. It isn't liberal/conservative issue. Not everything in the world breaks down into an us vs. them binary.

And, nobody is suggesting breastfeeding into teen years is normal or desirable. Stating such is absurd.

I suppose there can be no chances lost to belittle and demean as many people as possible if that is the goal.

Breath-taking, that you would say this. You.

Easy180
05-12-2012, 07:53 AM
Only news cause we have a different perception about breasts here in the US

betts
05-12-2012, 09:27 AM
What Time did, almost assuredly deliberately, that probably makes the cover more provocative is choose a fairly large three year old male and put him in army fatigues, boots and a short haircut. A smaller, thinner 3 year old in a diaper and t-shirt, with a more babyish haircut wouldn't create such a mental stir.

Most mothers stop breastfeeding by about 2 to 3 years of age. There is an attachment cult that goes a bit overboard about a lot of mother-child things, IMO, but these are generally outside the mainstream moms. As usual, they are partly right, but their views border on obsession that probably is as harmful to the mother-child relationship as a lack of attachment.

HewenttoJared
05-12-2012, 01:23 PM
Incest is incest.

People who understand how gene expression works.

Sheetkeecker
05-12-2012, 01:51 PM

I suspect I will have to adopt you if this keeps up.

MDot
05-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Incest is incest.

I suspect I will have to adopt you if this keeps up.

I have no clue why but this is a humorous convo.

Frustratedoptimist
05-12-2012, 02:07 PM
From this mom's perspective, breastfeeding a child more than 3 years old is not cool. Pump and feed them from a bottle if the milk is that important to you. You're not doing your child or yourself any favors physically, psychologically or socially.

BBatesokc
05-12-2012, 03:08 PM
From this mom's perspective, breastfeeding a child more than 3 years old is not cool. Pump and feed them from a bottle if the milk is that important to you. You're not doing your child or yourself any favors physically, psychologically or socially.

I'd love to see links to the studies that back up the idea that breast feeding beyond the age of 3 is physically dangerous (beyond stretch marks - which is not dangerous), psychologically dangerous or socially dangerous.

While, by this thread alone I agree it could have people thinking negatively of you, I seriously doubt too many of those moms care what people who obviously are basing their opinions on bunk as opposed to facts think anyway.

Ginkasa
05-12-2012, 11:47 PM
It may not be any business of the world, but it can certainly have an affect on both the mother and child depending on the individual circumstance.

Would you think it was any business of the world if the child was 15?

Why do you keep throwing out such high ages? The kid in the picture is 3 and, as far as I'm aware, the article doesn't address any ages past that. Nobody's talking about 6 year olds, 7 year olds, or 15 year olds, so why are you?

ljbab728
05-13-2012, 12:23 AM
Why do you keep throwing out such high ages? The kid in the picture is 3 and, as far as I'm aware, the article doesn't address any ages past that. Nobody's talking about 6 year olds, 7 year olds, or 15 year olds, so why are you?

Because I want to know if there is an age limit that is unacceptible. If 3 is OK why not 4 or 5 or 6? I"m not not the only one who mentioned older children. Please note post number 6. Have there ever been any actual studies about this? I don't know.

Frustratedoptimist
05-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Bbates - Don't get your video tape in a bunch. I didn't say it was dangerous or cite any studies, I stated my perspective. I don't see any benefits, practicality or reason to mouth-to-tit breastfeed after the age of 3. Pump, bottle it and put it on your cereal for all I care.

BBatesokc
05-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Bbates - Don't get your video tape in a bunch. I didn't say it was dangerous or cite any studies, I stated my perspective. I don't see any benefits, practicality or reason to mouth-to-tit breastfeed after the age of 3. Pump, bottle it and put it on your cereal for all I care.

There's no video tape involved in this conversation (so, if its not too much to ask, try staying within the confines of the topic if you're capable of it). And, you forwarded your statements regarding physical, psychological and social ill as if they actually had some foundation in fact - which obviously they don't.

Oh wait, I guess you were forwarding your biggest concern in your first sentence and mom's should not breast feed past 3 because its "not cool."

YO MUDA
05-13-2012, 10:44 PM
To each his or her own.

bandnerd
05-14-2012, 05:31 AM
There's no video tape involved in this conversation (so, if its not too much to ask, try staying within the confines of the topic if you're capable of it). And, you forwarded your statements regarding physical, psychological and social ill as if they actually had some foundation in fact - which obviously they don't.

Oh wait, I guess you were forwarding your biggest concern in your first sentence and mom's should not breast feed past 3 because its "not cool."

Seems like once they get teeth, breastfeeding would become physically uncomfortable for the mother, perhaps that is what frustratedoptimist was referring to.

Attachment parenting isn't new. I don't necessarily agree with breastfeeding a child that late in life, personally, but Time is behind the curve on this issue. And, as I told a teacher who was making a big deal about the cover, they did it to sell their failing magazine, end of story. There are a dozen different ways they could have portrayed attachment parenting photographically that I can think of off the top of my head, but instead they chose the most charged (and most obvious, to me) photo they could do.

annio05
05-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Seems like once they get teeth, breastfeeding would become physically uncomfortable for the mother, perhaps that is what frustratedoptimist was referring to.

Attachment parenting isn't new. I don't necessarily agree with breastfeeding a child that late in life, personally, but Time is behind the curve on this issue. And, as I told a teacher who was making a big deal about the cover, they did it to sell their failing magazine, end of story. There are a dozen different ways they could have portrayed attachment parenting photographically that I can think of off the top of my head, but instead they chose the most charged (and most obvious, to me) photo they could do.

My baby starting teething at 3 months. She is now 7 months with has 6 teeth (and counting) and I'm still breastfeeding. She learned pretty quickly that biting mom was a bad idea--it's pretty hard to react calmly when that happens! I don't know when I'll stop breastfeeding her, but a year seems really soon. I think I'm pretty moderate as far as the attachment parenting debate goes. We co-slept until she was four months old & she's been in her crib since then. She's happy, healthy, and a great sleeper, so we must be doing something right.

Has anyone considered that the mom just wants to keep breastfeeding so she doesn't have to work out? I'm back to my skinny jeans! I kid, but there are numerous health benefits for mom and baby. Breastfeeding for three years (over a woman's lifetime) lowers the risk of breast cancer substantially. In addition to bonding for baby, nursing past a year provides immunity to disease and lowers the likelihood of allergies. I realize this issue is complicated because it's so personal, but can also be public. I, for one, always use a cover when nursing in public, but some women choose not too. I do think it's interesting that people criticize a mother for breastfeeding too long, but would never comment on a mother's decision not to breastfeed or to switch to formula after only a few months because it can be hard when you first start. By the time a baby reaches a year and is eating solids, they usually only nurse 2-3 times a day. Why push to quit when the health benefits are still there and it's so easy at that point?