View Full Version : Old Krispy Kreme on 24th Ave NW

molarman
05-09-2012, 06:40 PM
I noticed today that the recently closed Krispy Kreme location is being gutted inside. Any news about what will be going into that storefront??

soonermike81
05-09-2012, 10:48 PM
The one just south of Robinson? Has it even been opened that long?

kevinpate
05-10-2012, 12:59 AM
I'm wanting to say I heard something about it becoming a chicken piece sort of place. That spot dinna make it as a KK or as a JR's. I just don't recall if anything else tried and dinna cut it there. Hopefully the next incarnation, chicken or otherwise, will have some staying power.

king183
05-10-2012, 09:32 AM
It's a terrible location for any food joint. I don't see why they're even trying with anything other than retail or office.

jedicurt
05-10-2012, 10:53 AM
I'm wanting to say I heard something about it becoming a chicken piece sort of place. That spot dinna make it as a KK or as a JR's. I just don't recall if anything else tried and dinna cut it there. Hopefully the next incarnation, chicken or otherwise, will have some staying power.

i think you are talking about the location infront of walmart, and they are talking about some other place. and that was a slim chickens for a very short time after it was JR's.... and still not sure what the word dinna means.

this Krispy Kreme was just north of the sonic in that retail space, correct?

blendd
05-10-2012, 10:58 AM
kevinpate, I think there's some confusion - the original KK location in Norman was over in front of the west side Wal Mart - after KK failed, it became JR's BBQ, and most recently Slim Chickens - who knows what's going in there now but my suggestion would be some sort of fast food burger joint like a Jack In The Box to accommodate all the auto traffic that speeds through there and not a "sit-down" restaurant -the location is fine, it's what's offered there that makes it less than a success - no one wants to go to a family dinner right next to a massive parking lot and gas station - but fast food, a quick hit and go type of place, would work - Taco Cabana next door seems to be chugging right along

The KK location on 24th Ave NW is/was directly north of the Sonic (and across the street from all the dentist's offices, molarman!) in a four-space strip mall associated with the Quorom office park behind it - before KK went in there, that same space was formerly a Quizno's franchise that withered away until it failed - the KK at that location resold product made at the South OKC KK so it was doomed from the get-go IMO - and I agree with king183, it's a bad location for a food spot

Your pal,
blendd

kevinpate
05-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Yeah, OK, I was over on interstate drive. Not recalling a KK near the Sonic, but she who is my lovely tells me it was in the old Quizno spot ... which she followed by reminding me where Quizno was as I never went there. I never got interested in a sandwich that used deformed rats for spokemen.

On the KK, for many years I have preferred getting my doughnuts from Daylight over on Flood/HighlandParkway.

Dinna and canna are just inflections I picked up that stayed with me over the years. Did not and Can not would be their kissin' cousins.

jedicurt
05-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Dinna and canna are just inflections I picked up that stayed with me over the years. Did not and Can not would be their kissin' cousins.

o okay... that makes more since... cause i was thinking you were saying dinner, and that just didn't make sense at all... haha, thanks for the clerification

BradR
05-10-2012, 11:59 AM
semi-off topic but i really liked JR's BBQ and was sad to see it go.

jedicurt
05-10-2012, 12:03 PM

i was sad to see it go as well... just i think that is a terrible location. i often think of going to taco cabana and then end up not going because i don't want to deal with getting there

HangryHippo
05-10-2012, 01:35 PM

You're not kidding. That place was amazing.

Questor
05-10-2012, 10:16 PM
That Krispy Kreme on 24th did not last long at all. It must have only been there six months if even that.

The address in question is 1004 24th Ave. NW, Suite 100. I've done a bit of searching but all I'm able to turn up is that the space was leased last month... not sure who to. Maybe someone who's more skilled can dig something up.

ksmn
05-18-2012, 07:51 AM
Marco's Pizza

johnpwoods
05-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Marco's is insane good pizza. that is great!

kevinpate
05-18-2012, 11:18 AM
How does Marco compare to pappa john.