View Full Version : Remembering May 3rd 1999

JOHNINSOKC
05-03-2005, 09:06 AM
I was just curious to know if anyone on this forum was directly affected by the tornado that day? Even if you weren't directly affected, you could tell where you were at when all hell was breaking loose. If anyone has any stories to share, it would be interesting to hear. It's hard to believe that it's been 6 years since the worst tornado in history hit a major metro area.

mranderson
05-03-2005, 09:28 AM
I was just curious to know if anyone on this forum was directly affected by the tornado that day? Even if you weren't directly affected, you could tell where you were at when all hell was breaking loose. If anyone has any stories to share, it would be interesting to hear. It's hard to believe that it's been 6 years since the worst tornado in history hit a major metro area.

I would guess everyone who was anywhere near the path was effected.

I remember that night and will never forget. I can even tell you what I had for dinner that night.

We were in the direct path, then it took a sudden turn. Had it not turned, we would have lost three houses including the one I live in.

As a result of that night, to this day, I can not look at coverage of a major tornado without shivering.

A side note. The house that was on the lot my parents current home was destroyed... as was the entire neighborhood.

Midtowner
05-03-2005, 09:58 AM
We were all effected -- higher rent and real-estate prices that somehow stuck around even after demand waned.

JOHNINSOKC
05-03-2005, 10:04 AM
At the time, I was living in the Emerald Springs Apartments across from Westmoore High School. I had only lived there for 3 weeks before it hit. After watching the whole thing unfold, I decided to leave about 6:45pm, which I believe was 30 minutes before the tornado slammed the complex. I remember that there was twice as much traffic as usual with everyone trying to leave Moore at the same time. I was freaking out because I didn't want to get caught up in the hailstorm ahead of the tornado. Once I got to I-35, I floored it northbound to my grandma's house just north of downtown. Once I arrived, I still didn't know if the tornado hit the area I lived in until I saw Channel 4 live from the Westmoore area. Luckily, I had my checkbook with me that night, so I went to the store and bought some clothes.

windowphobe
05-03-2005, 05:43 PM
By the time it passed me, it was down below F5 stage, but still pretty hairy; I actually went outside to watch, on the dubious basis that "if this thing is gonna kill me, I want to see it."

Missed me by about 700 yards, which is still too close for comfort.

adaniel
05-03-2005, 07:32 PM
Does anyone know the final status of the rebuilding effort? My aunt just moved to SW OKC from Lawton and she told me her realtor tried to sell her an empty lot where a house used to be.

OUman
05-03-2005, 08:52 PM
I was at home, in Norman. Earlier that day, I checked the Storm Prediction Center's site, and by early afternoon-evening, when the SPC outlook was upgraded to high, w/ a PDS tornado watch, I knew something bad was gonna happen. I tracked the tornado as it headed directly toward Norman. Knowing that tornadic storms can and sometimes do make a right turn when they intensify, I was glued to the TV set along w/ a map of Oklahoma mapping its path out myself as well. Not a good feeling, but Norman was spared, barely.

When the tornado crossed I-35, power went out and we listened to the radio coverage-I still vividly remember hearing the roar of that thing. Incredible.

OUman

Keith
05-03-2005, 09:12 PM
I had just gotten off work at 4 PM. that day, and was heading home to south OKC. I had my scanner with me and was tuned in to the National Weather Service. By the time I made it home, the tornado was just about to hit Chickasha.

Once I got home, my kids and I were glued to Channel 9 and Gary England. My wife was at work in south OKC, and she had no idea what was going on. As I tuned in to the weather, I watched the tornado get larger and larger. As it neared Newcastle, I could tell that the tornado was taking a direct path to my area.

As it passed through the outskirts of Newcastle, it demolished two houses of some friends that went to our church. The kids and I huddled in the hallway of our house, until Gary said that the safest place for this type of tornado was underground. We went across the street to our neighbor's cellar and took cover. I had a radio with me, so I was listening as the tornado went over I-44 (AKA HWY 62), and started going in a more easterly direction.

Once it started going more easterly, I knew we were out of danger, however, my uncle, aunt, and two cousins had their homes demolished. They lived off S. Western, just south of WestMoore High School. My cousins took cover in a hall closet, and it was the ONLY thing standing after the tornado hit. My aunt and uncle took cover in the bathroom, and it was also the only thing that was left standing after the tornado hit.

Two days after the tornado, I was at my aunt and uncles house for two days, helping clean up and salvage whatever could be salvaged. In my 43 years, I have never, ever, seen such devastation. It was very eery. My cousin rebuilt in the same spot where his house had been, and my aunt and uncle moved further east, around SW.89 & Western. They both have storm cellars.

Patrick
05-04-2005, 01:35 AM
Does anyone know the final status of the rebuilding effort? My aunt just moved to SW OKC from Lawton and she told me her realtor tried to sell her an empty lot where a house used to be.

Several people rebuilt, obviously. But many lots still sit empty to this day, for sale. Rebuilding has been a slow effort.