View Full Version : AnyMotorcycle Enthusiasts on Board?

Prunepicker
05-05-2012, 09:56 PM
I recently bought a 2007 Suzuki Boulevard C-50. I'm like a little
boy who got the bicycle he always wanted. I can't wait to get
on it and ride, boldly ride! For the past few days I've been
riding around Lake Holdhercloser and down old 66. Oh, I've been
including some self imposed cornering sessions in the huge parking
lot of a nearby church.

It's been about 30 years since I rode and must admit I'm quite
rusty. The last bike I owned was a Harley in the 60's and 70's.
I never left home without pliers in my back pocket. LOL.
Apparently things have drastically changed for motorcycles.

I almost bought a Goldwing. I'm glad I didn't. This Cruiser is a joy
to ride. Practicing for a trip to New Mexico in September.

Next!

Bill Robertson
05-06-2012, 06:51 AM
I grew up on dirt bikes and then street bikes when I got my license. Went 10 years or so without one while being married to a motorcycle hater. Got a Sportster after she was gone and soon wanted something bigger. Bought my Heritage about 4 years ago. If it's above freezing and dry I'm on the bike and the car is at home. Last year I put over 8,000 miles on the bike and around 1,500 on the car. It's true how unreliable Harleys were at one time. Now is a totally different story. 38,000 on mine and the only time she's seen a wrench is to add or change things to something more sparkly.

bluedogok
05-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Congrats, we have been considering getting my wife an S40 to learn on instead of a Rebel (or similar model) and having to replace that in a short time frame. Since it has been awhile since riding it might be worth it to take the Basic Rider Course (BRC) out at OSU Tech. I had my MC license at 14 but went awhile without riding and found it a good refresher course plus it waives the riding portion of the license test if you don't already have the M endorsement. When I changed from my OK license to a Texas license they forgot to transfer it over, a few years later I took it again (with my wife taking it as well) to get the M endorsement. That almost happened again when changing from a TX DL to a Colorado DL but I knew enough to look for it this time and they fixed it before I signed anything. You can also get a discount from some insurance companies with the completion of the BRC.

I have a 2000 Triumph Sprint and have had a wandering eye for a new bike lately, the BMW R1200RT/GS, Kawasaki Concours 14, Yamaha FJR1300, Moto Guzzi Norge, Triumph Tiger, Ducati Multistrada are mainly what I am considering. I haven't ridden much in the past few years, in the Texas heat it was much easier to put the top down on the convertible when it was nice and up when it started getting too hot. With the change in locales I expect to ride a whole lot more, new roads and more moderate temps make it much more inviting for us.

I think all vehicles are much more reliable than they used to be, it's amazing how much we had to do to keep things running in the past. I have 38,000 miles on my Sprint and have really done nothing other than routine maintenance to it and that level of "routine maintenance" is a fraction of what it used to be.

Prunepicker
05-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Here's a pic. We were on the north side of Lake Overholser.

Prunepicker
05-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Here's where it lives. Next to the 1931 Model A Ford.

White Peacock
05-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Damn, that's a pretty sweet bike. I'm more of an air-cooled VW enthusiast myself, but I do admire a nice looking motorcycle.

RadicalModerate
05-07-2012, 08:08 AM
My first bike was a brand new Suzuki 250. I think it was maybe a 1969 model? In any case, it was the last year before Suzuki really improved their dirt bikes.

For a high school graduation present I was given $2000. I had a choice of taking a trip to Kenya with a group from the high school or buying a motorcycle. I bought a new 1970 BMW R-75/5. I rode this for a couple of years, then I rode an old Harley that a friend was rebuilding. I bought a 71 Sportster with the money from selling the BMW.

It didn't take long to realize that riding a Sportster wasn't the same as riding a 74 so I sold it and bought a 1965 Panhead. This lead to buying a 1971 Shovelhead from a friend of mine and later a '52 Panhead. At one point I had three Harleys in running condition.

That was the point--in 1976--at which I got clipped, headon, by a hit and run driver at night out at Draper Lake.
This led to weeks in the hospital and the development of new interests on my part.

I still get a little nostalgic at the look and sound of a Harley.
Would probably take one for a spin if the opportunity presented itself.

Prunepicker
05-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Damn, that's a pretty sweet bike. I'm more of an air-cooled VW
enthusiast myself, but I do admire a nice looking motorcycle.
In '73 I bought a Super Beetle. It was the first year VW had a
curved windshield. It was bare bones and I didn't want a radio.
I mounted an 8 track under the dash. Dark blue with blue
interior.

Some day I'll have a VW next to my Model A unless a better deal
on a Ferarri is found.

White Peacock
05-08-2012, 09:57 AM
In '73 I bought a Super Beetle. It was the first year VW had a
curved windshield. It was bare bones and I didn't want a radio.
I mounted an 8 track under the dash. Dark blue with blue
interior.

Some day I'll have a VW next to my Model A unless a better deal
on a Ferarri is found.

Rock on! My first car was a '74 Super Beetle. I had it for 13 years, only selling it a couple years ago. It was a great car. It left me stranded more often than I would have liked, and it would sit unattended for long spells while I drove other cars, but I always went back to it after a while, getting it back into commission. It threw a rod back in '09, and I let it sit for another year before selling it. I'm not a mechanic at all, and my step-dad was tired of working on it after so many years, so I put her in the hands of another enthusiast who was set on getting her back on the road. Hopefully he's gotten her into top shape again.

If I ever strike it rich, I intend to have a stable full of restored VWs - Beetle, MicroBus, type 3 Notch and Squareback, and maybe a Ghia if there's space.

kevinpate
05-08-2012, 10:01 AM

I realize it's a bike thread, but I gotta say it .... Prune has got a great looking A

Roadhawg
05-08-2012, 10:23 AM
I just got back from riding mine to Myrtle Beach. It was a great ride and I figure by Thursday my butt will un-pucker.

Roadhawg
05-08-2012, 10:24 AM

Can't tell for sure but it looks like you'll need a new rear tire before you go on a trip.

Prunepicker
05-08-2012, 05:46 PM
If I ever strike it rich, I intend to have a stable full of restored VWs -
Beetle, MicroBus, type 3 Notch and Squareback, and maybe a Ghia if
there's space.
A guitarist friend of mine has such a stable, including a 65(?) Porsche
he bought new. He's a bit eccentric. Really? LOL>

Prunepicker
05-08-2012, 05:47 PM
Can't tell for sure but it looks like you'll need a new rear tire before you
go on a trip.
Thanks. I look into it.

Prunepicker
05-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Can't tell for sure but it looks like you'll need a new rear tire before you
go on a trip.
The photo makes it look slick. It's got good tread. I'm going to have
them looked to evaluate how long they have so I can have the money
saved when the time comes.

Myrtle Beach? What do you ride? I'm going to New Mexico in September
and next May to North Carolina. Fly fishing!

Roadhawg
05-08-2012, 06:26 PM
The photo makes it look slick. It's got good tread. I'm going to have
them looked to evaluate how long they have so I can have the money
saved when the time comes.

Myrtle Beach? What do you ride? I'm going to New Mexico in September
and next May to North Carolina. Fly fishing!

I have a Harley Ultra Classic. No matter what you ride after so many miles your butts going to hurt.

Allentown
05-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Mustang makes a seat that you can ride on all day in my opinion – I’ve personally done I believe 550 miles in one day on one and could have gone a little more most likely.

New Mexico is awesome riding. The Enchanted Circle is incredible. Not sure what your plans are, but I found a little Bureau of Land Management campsite called Orilla Verde that was like $7 a night with everything; electric, water, shelter, coin showers, etc. I was super impressed!

Bill Robertson
05-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Mustang makes a seat that you can ride on all day in my opinion Mustang seats are much better than OEM. I have put in many 400 to 500 mile days on mine and while being comfortable I'm ready to be off of it for awhile by the end of the day. I'm also glad for that gas/rest/stretch stop every 180 miles or so.

Prunepicker
05-12-2012, 05:02 PM
New Mexico is awesome riding. The Enchanted Circle is incredible.
Not sure what your plans are, but I found a little Bureau of Land
Management campsite called Orilla Verde that was like $7 a night
with everything; electric, water, shelter, coin showers, etc. I was
super impressed!
My plans are typically the same. I will be fly fishing, eating Chile
Rellenos, fly fishing, eating Chile Rellenos and fly fishing.

Orilla is in the area I fish. The Rio Santa Barbara Rio Hondo are
my favorites but I've gone to Questa, an hour plus north, many
times and fished the Rio Grande at Chiflo and La Junta. 800 feet
to the bottom. Got some stories about that. Went with a Navy
SEAL and he'd run down and back in about 15 minutes. I get
winded thinking about it.

bluedogok
05-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Stock seats are a disappointment for the most part, when I got a Sargent seat for my Sprint it made a world of difference for me and even more so for my wife. The Corbin/Mustang seats are pretty well regarded as well.

Prunepicker
05-12-2012, 10:47 PM
I've been looking at the Mustang seats. As long as I can get to
Santa Fe, NM or Dickson, TN in a day I'll be happy. 500 miles
would be the bare minimum for me including fill ups, toilet breaks
and BBQ/Hot Dogs.

Roadhawg
05-14-2012, 07:18 AM
Mustang seats are much better than OEM. I have put in many 400 to 500 mile days on mine and while being comfortable I'm ready to be off of it for awhile by the end of the day. I'm also glad for that gas/rest/stretch stop every 180 miles or so.

Mustang does make a good seat and I should invest in one but after doing 750 miles a day I'm not sure if it would help this old butt *lol*

bluedogok
06-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Here's the bike that I picked up today, 2012 Kawasaki Concours14.
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/468045_3086294207374_1564475883_31972000_312529154 _o.jpg

Prunepicker
06-02-2012, 10:53 PM
So, you like cruising at 2,000,000 mph?

LOL!

bluedogok
06-03-2012, 07:25 AM
No doubt that it is a significant upgrade in power over my previous 955cc, 108hp/72ft-lb three-cylinder in the Sprint and 138 hp/93 lb-ft for the 1352cc inline-4 in the Concours. When we looked at it the bike was still in the shipping crate, they uncrated and assembled it yesterday. We got it home between afternoon showers which blew through, in fact those storms blew down the media tent at the motocross race near Bandimere Speedway (drag strip) in Morrison that was being broadcast live on FuelTV. We took a short dinner ride and my wife already likes the ride and seat better than the Sprint even with the aftermarket seat. I told her that this bike is made for things like that, one of the main reasons why I chose it, just a lot more comfortable to explore the mountain roads here in Colorado with.

kevinpate
06-03-2012, 11:57 AM
nice looking ride

Roadhawg
06-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Good looking bike