View Full Version : Wal Mart or Target?

Pages : [1] 2

bucktalk
05-05-2012, 03:21 PM
If Wal Mart or Target were the only stores in town - which one would you choose and why?
Me? Target -cleaner, calmer and actually have personnel at their cash registers.

WilliamTell
05-05-2012, 04:17 PM
target..in a perfect world. but with that said i cant stand walmarts pricing but they have the market cornered in one stop shopping. what i hate is that they go through cycles of lowering it and then raising prices to above their competitors, then when people realize that they arent the cheapest place to shop in town they lower them again and start the cycle over.

BBatesokc
05-05-2012, 04:24 PM
My preference is Target - cleaner, less crowded, less odd people, and easier to check out.

However, grocery prices at WalMart are much cheaper than the Target or grocery stores in my area, so I shop more often at WalMart (I just tend to do it at 7am).

Easy180
05-05-2012, 04:57 PM
My preference is Target but my budgets preference is WalMart

HewenttoJared
05-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Drive to a market in a nearby town.

BBatesokc
05-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Drive to a market in a nearby town.

For what reason? What grocery store is going to be cheaper than the WalMart or Sam's that are within 2 miles of my house? Driving anywhere further causes higher costs in fuel and time.

If Target had WalMart prices and variety then I'd only shop there. The wife shops at Target because she feels a 10%-20% higher price is worth it to avoid the pitfalls of WalMart in many cases.

Tritone
05-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Target. I can have something in my cart when leaving, unbagged, without being asked to prove I'm not thief. Target.

ljbab728
05-05-2012, 08:02 PM
I agree with Target but I still hold my nose and fight the Walmart crowds occasionally for specific items.

blangtang
05-06-2012, 12:00 AM
there's actually hot chicks at target, they love that place, especially the one in norman

Lauri101
05-06-2012, 04:46 AM
Target, but MWC Target doesn't have full groceries. I've found myself enjoying the new Walmart Market at Reno/MW Blvd. It's clean, well-stocked, employees are excellent (they even make fun of the "super-center"!) Homeland is still in the mix, particularly on the way home from work.

BBatesokc
05-06-2012, 06:05 AM
Target, but MWC Target doesn't have full groceries. I've found myself enjoying the new Walmart Market at Reno/MW Blvd. It's clean, well-stocked, employees are excellent (they even make fun of the "super-center"!) Homeland is still in the mix, particularly on the way home from work.

We must shop the same area. Yeah, the MWC Target is a joke when it comes to food and the MWC WalMart at Sooner and 15th is just downright scary sometimes.

Never been to the Reno/MW Blvd WalMart though. Will have to check it out.

We used to go to the Del City Homeland at Sunnylane/29th because its clean and never crowded - but I started comparing prices and they are crazy high. Even the Braums at SE 44/Sunnylane is cheaper on virtually everything. Which I forgot, we used to buy a lot of groceries there, but in the last 6 months their produce has been terrible.

When we can we shop at the Moore or Norman Targets (if we are already in the area).

GaryOKC6
05-06-2012, 07:36 AM
Definately Wal-Mart. I don't agree with Targets recent marketing campaigns amd prefer Wal-Mart

Okiezmom
05-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Target all the way. I hate standing in line to check out at Walmart. Plus the customers at Target aren't nuts. It seems like people leave their courtesy and common sense at home when they go to Walmart.

kevinpate
05-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Wal-mart anytime between 2-4 am. It's not merely shopping, it's an adventure.

Lauri101
05-06-2012, 03:11 PM
I shop specials and buy store brands at Homeland and have found the price difference to be bearable just for the pleasantly small store. The Reno/Mw Blvd WM is the Market version. It's size is comparable to Homeland or other similar. The frozen food section at WM Market is great!
Target will be adding some produce and more groceries within a year, according to sources. MWC Target will never have full grocery - some sort of back room deal I've heard. It sucks, as Target is only 4 blocks from house!

HewenttoJared
05-06-2012, 03:52 PM
For what reason? What grocery store is going to be cheaper than the WalMart or Sam's that are within 2 miles of my house? Driving anywhere further causes higher costs in fuel and time.

If Target had WalMart prices and variety then I'd only shop there. The wife shops at Target because she feels a 10%-20% higher price is worth it to avoid the pitfalls of WalMart in many cases.

For better options and locally-sourced merchandise. I drive a little farther, but my beef and vegetables didn't come from outside the state or country.

BBatesokc
05-06-2012, 04:41 PM
For better options and locally-sourced merchandise. I drive a little farther, but my beef and vegetables didn't come from outside the state or country.

Couldn't care less if my vegetables are local or not. I (like the majority) look for best price for good (doesn't have to be prime) quality. We don't buy beef unless we are hosting some sort of get-together and even then we usually buy at Braums - which is already close and local.

That's cool if people want to do whatever is necessary to 'buy local', buy prime, buy organic or whatever feel good shopping motivates them. Just not my thing. Our monthly grocery bill is pretty tiny.

Larry OKC
05-07-2012, 09:22 AM
I'll venture (I miss them) over to Target every once in a while (usually based on an ad price) and it is closer to me than the Wal-marts I frequent. But the grocery is extremely limited (the remodeled one @ 50th & N. May is supposedly 8 sf & a half dozen parking spaces shy of being deemed a SuperTarget). Prices are often higher for comparable goods (whenever I think Wal-Mart is getting pricey, I go to Target and quickly head back to Wal-mart). That said Target's checkout lanes are shorter/stores less crowded. I haven't seen the price swings at Wal-mart nearly as much as other places. Most grocery stores have a 12 week cycle where they are constantly raising/lowering prices. Wal-mart seems to follow the "always the low price" model. Every once in a while, they may lower prices farther or lower theirs below a competitors sale price (but in my experience, the sale price of others is higher than Wal-marts everyday price). As far as the receipt inspection goes, reportedly that is falling to the wayside.

Bunty
05-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Wal-mart anytime between 2-4 am. It's not merely shopping, it's an adventure.

Not a fun one to me, if pallets are in the way from stocking the shelves and aisles blocked off for floor maintenance.

oneforone
05-07-2012, 01:11 PM
I think Walmart is starting to drop Supercenter from their stores. I think most of their stores have been converted to stores with a Groceries or limited grocery service like Target is doing in most of their stores. I think they maybe getting away from building stores over 150,000 sq ft. For awhile they were building stores in excess of 200,000 sq ft.

I noticed they have also closed their photo studios in the Del City and Midwest City stores,

jn1780
05-07-2012, 01:51 PM
I noticed they have also closed their photo studios in the Del City and Midwest City stores,

Photo Studios are outdated with today's technology. Plenty of young people out there with access to digital cameras who think they will make it big as photographers.

CuatrodeMayo
05-07-2012, 02:01 PM
I think Walmart is starting to drop Supercenter from their stores. I think most of their stores have been converted to stores with a Groceries or limited grocery service like Target is doing in most of their stores. I think they maybe getting away from building stores over 150,000 sq ft. For awhile they were building stores in excess of 200,000 sq ft.

If you ever get a chance, check out the new store in Joplin...I've never seen one so big...

ThomPaine
05-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Target. I know they're higher on some items, but I don't mind paying the premium to avoid the Wal-Mart "experience." Last time I was home, I was buying most of my groceries at Crest, but I am looking forward to trying Sunflower Market and Whole Foods for a change up.

Jettmiester
05-08-2012, 01:38 AM
I know the Target IN MWC is getting ready to remodel and expand on their grocery section. I belieive that is a phase all the General Merchandise Target Stores (non-super Targets) are getting ready to go through.

And the mention of Venture stores...I miss them as well. I remember shopping thm in the 80's when I'd vist okc. Fun fact: I have a Floor standing Halogen lamp in the living room I still use that was bought at the venture in MWC, use it daily. Only changed the original bulb recently!

WATCHER
05-08-2012, 05:23 AM
We should be buying our products from mom and pop stores instead of these huge corporations. These huge corporations are taking over the world.

Roadhawg
05-08-2012, 10:37 AM
If you ever get a chance, check out the new store in Joplin...I've never seen one so big...

The old one got destroyed by the tornado didn't it?

ljbab728
05-08-2012, 09:03 PM
We should be buying our products from mom and pop stores instead of these huge corporations. These huge corporations are taking over the world.

It's nice that you have unlimited funds that allow you to do that. Not everyone is that privileged. When I can get the same items from local mom and pop vendors at the same or lower prices I will certainly do that.

wallbreaker
05-09-2012, 12:03 AM
It's nice that you have unlimited funds that allow you to do that. Not everyone is that privileged. When I can get the same items from local mom and pop vendors at the same or lower prices I will certainly do that.

It really is a chicken/egg or snake eating it's own tail problem. People have to watch budgets because of low pay, and poor benefits. But low pay and poor benefits have been driven largely by the rise of national chains like Wal-Mart driving down wages, and putting local business out of business. Whole communities have been destroyed by wal-mart, and people still pull away.

I'm happy I have a crest nearby, so we made the switch, and at least we're keeping our money in Oklahoma and not sending it all to arkansas. I'm always floored that people who feel so strongly about building good communities in OKC so easily sell away their community for their 20 pieces of silver of savings they get at Wal-Mart.

ljbab728
05-09-2012, 12:37 AM
It really is a chicken/egg or snake eating it's own tail problem. People have to watch budgets because of low pay, and poor benefits. But low pay and poor benefits have been driven largely by the rise of national chains like Wal-Mart driving down wages, and putting local business out of business. Whole communities have been destroyed by wal-mart, and people still pull away.

I'm happy I have a crest nearby, so we made the switch, and at least we're keeping our money in Oklahoma and not sending it all to arkansas. I'm always floored that people who feel so strongly about building good communities in OKC so easily sell away their community for their 20 pieces of silver of savings they get at Wal-Mart.

wallbreaker, please note that I buy almost no groceries from Walmart and the last time I checked those were the main items for sale at Crest.
Again, Walmart is hardly my first or favorite place to shop and if I can get the same items for the same price or less at locally owned businesses I'm happy to buy there. Also, again, many people have to literally watch every penny they spend to survive so don't judge them.

And I don't see your connection between low pay and poor benefits with national retailers. It seems just the opposite to me. Does Crest pay a higher wage with better benefits than Walmart? I honestly don't know but would be interested.

Brett
05-09-2012, 04:23 AM
Wal-Mart everytime. More product selection. Prices that end in .97 instead of .99. Shopping at 5:00am is fun. Wal-Mart supports smaller communities. Self checkout at some stores. Get to observe People of Walmart first hand. Redbox locations.

Sheetkeecker
05-09-2012, 04:51 AM
Everyone says they hate Walmart and they all shop there.
Walmart knows this well, and does not wear their feelings on their sleeve.
If someone does a better job than Walmart, then Walmart will fall.
It's just business, plain and simple.

Walmart success was by putting regionally-located stores in disparate areas based on population calculations, and they have done it extremely well.
They are not afraid of small towns and they don't make you drive 50 miles to get to a Supercenter.
How hard is that?
Duh.

Lord Helmet
05-09-2012, 10:44 AM
I haven't stepped foor in a Wal-Mart since moving from OKC to Denver. I do shop at Target from time to time. Preferably I buy local though. There's two farmer's markets within walking distance of my house that are open most of the year (not in the winter though) that are great for veggies, 2 Whole Foods close that are great for meat and seafood, and we have our milk and eggs delivered to our front door(!) every monday from a local dairy.

When I was in OKC options were much more limited. I did shop at Wal Mar from time to time back then.

Bunty
05-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Wal-Mart everytime. More product selection. Prices that end in .97 instead of .99. Shopping at 5:00am is fun. Wal-Mart supports smaller communities. Self checkout at some stores. Get to observe People of Walmart first hand. Redbox locations.

Why do some Wal-Marts have self check-outs and others don't? If their recently built stores don't have self check-outs, maybe it means they are money losers for Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart supports smaller communities? In too many towns Wal-Mart is in, the downtown looks like an abandoned dump. At least some Oklahoma towns, such as Stillwater, are trying to overcome that by making the downtown a BID district.

BBatesokc
05-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Why do some Wal-Marts have self check-outs and others don't? If their recently built stores don't have self check-outs, maybe it means they are money losers for Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart supports smaller communities? In too many towns Wal-Mart is in, the downtown looks like an abandoned dump. At least some Oklahoma towns, such as Stillwater, are trying to overcome that by making the downtown a BID district.

Saw a news program the other day that stated many retailers were getting rid of their self check-outs due to rampant theft and the need for staff to oversee the self-checkouts and provide assistance.

wallbreaker
05-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Saw a news program the other day that stated many retailers were getting rid of their self check-outs due to rampant theft and the need for staff to oversee the self-checkouts and provide assistance.

I'd be thrilled. As a consumer I've grown to hate the self checkouts. Too many places have used it as an excuse to have almost no staffed checkout lanes. I don't mind being behind a line of folks if they're self checking out 4 or 5 items, but when people are having to self checkout carts full of food, they take forever.

Larry OKC
05-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Think I read recently that Walmart is eleminting the self-checkout experiment so that might explain why some have them and some don't. Walmart strategy a few years (decades) back was to go where their competitors (K-Mart etc) wouldn't, i.e., the small towns. For a while there weren't any Walmarts in OKC proper, they were all in the suburbs and maybe right on the other side of the city limit. The comps would look at an area and say that particular town/city didn't have the numbers to support the store but Walmart saw the area and not where the lines were drawn arbitrarily on a map. You build a Walmart and they will come. Then as they got bigger and SuperCenters became the norm, they had a tendency to migrate across the line for lower taxes and/or incentives etc and leaving many small towns in a lurch as Walmart would be a sizable portion of their tax base.

NoOkie
05-09-2012, 08:20 PM

I remember when Weatherford got their Wal-Mart. I commented that I hated them, but several of the locals said that they were looking forward to it due to the poor quality and high price of groceries in the local stores. And limited goods in the other types of merchants.

Personally, I prefer Target. I don't mind the Neighborhood Markets, though. It's definitely cheaper(By a considerable margin) to shop there than the Homeland at Britton and May. It's the Neighborhood Market for regular stuff, and Homeland or one of the specialty grocers if it's a special occasion. I do go out of my way to buy my deli meats at Homeland or NDs, though. Wal-Mart's deli meats suck.

HewenttoJared
05-10-2012, 06:09 AM

They're heading towards RFID self-checks most likely. That's where the industry should have gone long ago.

Larry OKC
05-10-2012, 08:06 AM
I remember when Weatherford got their Wal-Mart. I commented that I hated them, but several of the locals said that they were looking forward to it due to the poor quality and high price of groceries in the local stores. And limited goods in the other types of merchants.

Personally, I prefer Target. I don't mind the Neighborhood Markets, though. It's definitely cheaper(By a considerable margin) to shop there than the Homeland at Britton and May. It's the Neighborhood Market for regular stuff, and Homeland or one of the specialty grocers if it's a special occasion. I do go out of my way to buy my deli meats at Homeland or NDs, though. Wal-Mart's deli meats suck.
I haven't bought deli meat anywhere in a long time, but what about Walmarts deli meat sucks? Prices, quality, freshness, brand??? I would presume that unless someplace is carrying a specialty deli meat (like Sunflower and Boar's Head) that most grocery stores are carrying the same brands (just like most carry the same brands of everything else in the store).

NoOkie
05-10-2012, 11:53 AM
I haven't bought deli meat anywhere in a long time, but what about Walmarts deli meat sucks? Prices, quality, freshness, brand??? I would presume that unless someplace is carrying a specialty deli meat (like Sunflower and Boar's Head) that most grocery stores are carrying the same brands (just like most carry the same brands of everything else in the store).

Price is alright. Quality and selection is poor and it just doesn't taste that great. Some of it is alright, but not the items I get. There's actually a pretty big variety of brands depending on the store. Homeland's stuff is alright, but I do like Boar's Head the most. I think Wal-Mart uses a house brand for their deli stuff.

I do find the perception of Boar's Head as specialty to be funny. It was what the regular grocery store in my po dunk home town in GA carried. It was just what you bought at the store.

SoonerBoy18
05-10-2012, 11:57 AM
Target - Nice clean people who look like they just got out of the shower, Wal Mart- People who look like they just woke up.

SoonerBoy18
05-10-2012, 12:10 PM

I prefer Wal Mart to stay their current size. There is a small Wal Mart on Rockwell on the North West side of OKC and I have never felt uncomfortable at a Wal Mart until I shopped there.

NoOkie
05-10-2012, 12:27 PM
I prefer Wal Mart to stay their current size. There is a small Wal Mart on Rockwell on the North West side of OKC and I have never felt uncomfortable at a Wal Mart until I shopped there.

Wal-Mart did some pilot stores called Hypermarts in the 80's. They rebranded them to Super Centers sometime after '90. Kansas City's was 270,000 sq ft. and was referred to by locals as the HyperHell. Looks like they closed it and built a smaller store.

Lord Helmet
05-10-2012, 12:48 PM
They're heading towards RFID self-checks most likely. That's where the industry should have gone long ago.

RFID would be awesome. I wanna walk in to a store...fill up my cart, and walk out...having the system charge my debit card or store account without me having to pull a card out of my pocket!

Sheetkeecker
05-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Target - Nice clean people who look like they just got out of the shower, Wal Mart- People who look like they just woke up.

Target discriminates and only hires the attractive. Great idea!

OkieHornet
05-10-2012, 01:32 PM
not putting words in his mouth, but i think he was talking about the clientele, not workers.

Maynard
05-10-2012, 02:02 PM
not putting words in his mouth, but i think he was talking about the clientele, not workers.

d9WBIAzz2rY

Sheetkeecker
05-10-2012, 02:04 PM

There is trash walking into stores on Rodeo Drive, although admittedly, a lower percentile.

Sheetkeecker
05-10-2012, 02:05 PM

If this is so, it is clearly, completely and unequivocally, RACISM.

Maynard
05-10-2012, 02:09 PM
If this is so, it is clearly, completely and unequivocally, RACISM.

MINNEAPOLIS, MN (PR Newswire) – The Target Corporation (TGT) has purchased the popular blog “Stuff White People Like” (http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com (http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/03/31/stuff-white-people-like-bought-by-target/)).

Sheetkeecker
05-10-2012, 02:14 PM
minneapolis, mn (pr newswire) – the target corporation (tgt) has purchased the popular blog “stuff white people like” (http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com (http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/03/31/stuff-white-people-like-bought-by-target/)).

Racism!

Larry OKC
05-11-2012, 08:36 AM
If you are talking about the Walmart on NW Expressway/Rockwell, it left a lonnnnnnnng time ago, relocating to NW Expressway/Meridian and then relocating again (actually splitting into 2 SuperCenters on each end of NW Expressway...Belle Isle and Council. The one that was at NW Expressway/Rockwell became a couple of different grocery stores and is currently a Hobby Lobby. But maybe you are talking about one of their smaller Neighborhood Market grocery stores (often in older regular sized former Walmart buildings)???

RadicalModerate
05-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Dang. If I now have to boycott Target--and can't stand even driving into a Walmart parking lot--where am I going to meet my shopping needs? It's a vast merchantile wasteland out there . . .

SoonerBoy18
05-11-2012, 10:58 AM
If you are talking about the Walmart on NW Expressway/Rockwell, it left a lonnnnnnnng time ago, relocating to NW Expressway/Meridian and then relocating again (actually splitting into 2 SuperCenters on each end of NW Expressway...Belle Isle and Council. The one that was at NW Expressway/Rockwell became a couple of different grocery stores and is currently a Hobby Lobby. But maybe you are talking about one of their smaller Neighborhood Market grocery stores (often in older regular sized former Walmart buildings)???

I shopped there last summer, It was on Hefner and Rockwell I think, Somewhere in that area, not exactly sure where but I know there was one small neighborhood one.

SoonerBoy18
05-11-2012, 11:06 AM

ONLY Attractive?
Hiring people who care about their apperance is the politically correct term

Larry OKC
05-11-2012, 01:59 PM
I shopped there last summer, It was on Hefner and Rockwell I think, Somewhere in that area, not exactly sure where but I know there was one small neighborhood one.
Gotchya. There is a Neighborhood Market (mainly grocery) just north of that intersection. As far as I know, all of the smaller general merchandise Walmarts are no longer in this area, having been upgraded/relocated to SuperCenters

ljbab728
05-11-2012, 09:01 PM
If you are talking about the Walmart on NW Expressway/Rockwell, it left a lonnnnnnnng time ago, relocating to NW Expressway/Meridian

Larry, I think you meant NW Expressway/MacArthur. It was just east of the Homeland store there.

Larry OKC
05-14-2012, 11:45 AM
You are correct...my bad

oneforone
05-15-2012, 01:17 AM

That's a tired argument in my book. Those so called big mean corporations employee local people who need a paycheck and benefits that they would probably would not get at local mom and pop outlets. Most mom and pop stores employee a mostly part time work force and only a select few are full time with benefits. It should also be noted that many chain restaurants and stores are owned by local people through franchise agreements.

Many people bash Walmart, Target and others because of there pay and benefits. However, only a select few of us who played the retail game at one time in there life respect that these stores are present. They do provide jobs and pay the bills for many people. I worked at Circuit City for 8 years. The pay and benefits could have been better however, they worked around my school schedule and encouraged me every step of the way. When I left (a year before they closed up) I had to admit it was hard to leave, but I knew I needed to move on to something bigger and better. To me that is what everyone should do is want more for themselves. Don't leave it up everyone else to see to it you succeed. Get out there and make your own way. After all the only person that is going to find the best situation for yourself is you. Other people will only see to it that you fit their needs not your own.

NoOkie
05-16-2012, 06:57 AM
That's a tired argument in my book. Those so called big mean corporations employee local people who need a paycheck and benefits that they would probably would not get at local mom and pop outlets. Most mom and pop stores employee a mostly part time work force and only a select few are full time with benefits. It should also be noted that many chain restaurants and stores are owned by local people through franchise agreements.

Many people bash Walmart, Target and others because of there pay and benefits. However, only a select few of us who played the retail game at one time in there life respect that these stores are present. They do provide jobs and pay the bills for many people. I worked at Circuit City for 8 years. The pay and benefits could have been better however, they worked around my school schedule and encouraged me every step of the way. When I left (a year before they closed up) I had to admit it was hard to leave, but I knew I needed to move on to something bigger and better. To me that is what everyone should do is want more for themselves. Don't leave it up everyone else to see to it you succeed. Get out there and make your own way. After all the only person that is going to find the best situation for yourself is you. Other people will only see to it that you fit their needs not your own.

While all your points are valid, Wal-Mart does have a history of violating labor laws.