View Full Version : Happy Cinco De Mayo

Wishbone
05-05-2012, 06:09 AM
Anyone going to celebrate?

kevinpate
05-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Nah, but I have thought about watching Dodgeball again come next Tuesday.
What a great way to honor Ocho de Mayo!

ljbab728
05-05-2012, 08:00 PM
This reminds that that last year I was in Mexico for Cinco De Mayo and there were no celebrations at all. It's more of a US thing.

RadicalModerate
05-06-2012, 08:02 AM
I had a couple of Grilled Chicken Snack Wraps with Chipotle BBQ sauce for lunch.
(the manager scoffed at my request to change the Muzak to Mariachi Melodies in honor of the occasion)

bluedogok
05-06-2012, 10:25 AM
This reminds that that last year I was in Mexico for Cinco De Mayo and there were no celebrations at all. It's more of a US thing.
It is a minor holiday in the State of Puebla, most of Mexico does not recognize it as a holiday, kind of like Texas Independence day only matters to Texas. The significance of it in the US can be traced back to the US importer of Corona beer as I have no recollection of it being a holiday here until it was marketed by them as kind of a "Mexican St. Patrick's Day". My wife is Hispanic and grew up in West Texas, she never recalls even hearing about until she was in College in Lubbock in the mid-80's.

Larry OKC
05-07-2012, 09:32 AM
The Oklahoman had a couple of interesting back stories on it (will try to find the link) and it is NOT celebrating Mexican Independence (as most think) but a Mexican victory over the French (the Mexicans were heavily outnumbered) during our Civil War. The Mexican nationals that were in the US at the time saw the victory as symbolic to their support of the Union and anti-slavery or something like that. Also something about California and the Gold Rush. But yes, it seems to have become more of an American thing and just another excuse for those that partake to do so (New Years, St. Pats, July 4th, Memorial Day, Labor Day etc)

ON EDIT: http://newsok.com/cinco-de-mayo-holiday-with-us-civil-war-roots/article/feed/377701

RadicalModerate
05-07-2012, 05:55 PM
8Bc0WjTT0Ps
Especially on Cinco de Mayo . . .
Quatro de Abril . . .
y Tiempo de Feliz Navidad.