View Full Version : Tom Coburn on The Daily Show (Comedy Central)

mmonroe
05-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Senator Tom Coburn (R) was on The Daily Show tonight.

He was showing his book "The Debt Bomb." I may just pick up a copy to read it.

His replies to Stewart's questions were right on point for me.

Matt
05-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Don't know how to embed these here or I would, so here are a couple of links to the full interview:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-may-2-2012/exclusive---tom-coburn-extended-interview-pt--1

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-may-2-2012/exclusive---tom-coburn-extended-interview-pt--2

I love Coburn when he's not talking about social issues.

venture
05-03-2012, 12:06 PM
I love Coburn when he's not talking about social issues.

Same. If politicians stopped wasting their time on social issues and more so on fiscal/business issues things would be clicking along and they wouldn't be hated by 85% of the country.

ThomPaine
05-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Same. If politicians stopped wasting their time on social issues and more so on fiscal/business issues things would be clicking along and they wouldn't be hated by 85% of the country.

This! I don't agree with his views on many social issues, but he has done a damned good job of walking the walk on fiscal matters. He also seems to be able to speak to people on the other side of the aisle without denigrating them with personal attacks. One of the few members of the Senate, who if pressed, puts the needs of the country above the needs of his constituency.

HewenttoJared
05-03-2012, 09:56 PM

Aye

TaoMaas
05-04-2012, 05:49 AM
This! I don't agree with his views on many social issues, but he has done a damned good job of walking the walk on fiscal matters. He also seems to be able to speak to people on the other side of the aisle without denigrating them with personal attacks. One of the few members of the Senate, who if pressed, puts the needs of the country above the needs of his constituency.

I totally agree. For me, Coburn represents the Republican party I used to belong to years ago.

kevinpate
05-04-2012, 08:01 AM

Flip side of that coin. When politicos campaign, hard, on social issues, the social conservatives have been swept into office in droves, and are being reelected with high retention margins. Sure, some messed up their shots and imploded on their own character shortcomings, but the bulk of the hard core social issue conservs don't seem to be having trouble getting and keeping folks behind their message. The ones who do struggle are the most hard core, not playing well with others in the compromise sandbox.

venture
05-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Flip side of that coin. When politicos campaign, hard, on social issues, the social conservatives have been swept into office in droves, and are being reelected with high retention margins. Sure, some messed up their shots and imploded on their own character shortcomings, but the bulk of the hard core social issue conservs don't seem to be having trouble getting and keeping folks behind their message. The ones who do struggle are the most hard core, not playing well with others in the compromise sandbox.

Oh for sure. It is a situation where they directly hit at peoples emotions and play them perfectly. Pull on someone's faith and they'll do whatever you want. The problem is that the sheep (American voters) fall for this thinking they are electing "good people" but then once the person is in that elected official does nothing. Faith, Family and Freedom tells us absolutely nothing about how to address budgets, infrastructure, and other critical "business" issues. However it was extremely effective at making the brain dead elect a person into office whose life has complete contradicted that. However they lose their spine and brain when someone start pulling the emotion and faith card.

We've seen it over and over again. When a certain person starts to lose support because they aren't getting traction on the real issues that should actually matter, they immediately pull the emotion card and start winning people over that way. Unfortunately people are too dumb to realize they are getting stabbed in the chest while staring the attacker in the eyes.