View Full Version : Cyclist Dies Riding At Lake Hefner

OKCTalker
05-02-2012, 10:12 AM
I want to post some background on last night's fatal collision between cyclists at Lake Hefner. It is early and full details aren't yet known, but this is what's out there so far.

Cyclist Monty Maughan, age 67 and a member of OKC Velo (one of Oklahoma City's many exceptional cycling teams & clubs), was riding last night on the dam at Lake Hefner. Riding in the opposite directions was a group of cyclists from one or more teams on a Tuesday night club ride. For unknown reasons there was a collision between at least three of the cyclists, all of whom went to hospitals. Two are recovering but Monty died of his injuries. Although I can categorically state that all cyclists at this level of experience and ability always ride wearing helmets (even on rides at the lake), I do not know that as an absolute certainty regarding last night.

On social media this morning, members of the central Oklahoma cycling community are expressing deep sorrow at Monty's loss. Many were close friends of Monty, and competed with or against him even this spring. This is an exceptional photograph of him circulating this morning where he is competing in a time trial at Lake Overholser. It is an awesome photograph (credit to Biff S.).

This appears to be a truly horrific and freak event where experienced cyclists crashed, injuring many and killing one. No-one feels worse than those who were involved, and the entire community is in mourning. I ask for your consideration of Monty's family at this time, and to refrain from general posts about cycling and cyclists.

Thank you.

Pete
05-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Wow, that's horrible.

What a crazy way to be killed... I'm not sure I've ever heard of something like this.

BoulderSooner
05-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Man dies after Lake Hefner bicycling collision
Bernard Magham, 67, died after being injured in a bicycling crash at Lake Hefner Tuesday night, police said Wednesday.

FROM STAFF REPORTS | Published: May 2, 2012

A man involved in a collision with two members of a bicycling team at Lake Hefner on Tuesday has died, police said.

Bernard Magham, 67, was bicycling west at the Lake Hefner Dam about 7 p.m. Tuesday when he collided with two of four bicyclists traveling east.

Read more: http://newsok.com/man-dies-after-lake-hefner-bicycling-collision/article/3671743#ixzz1tjm3dxh5