View Full Version : Don't forget our OU Sooners!

Pages : [1] 2 3

SoonerQueen
05-01-2012, 09:29 PM

jedicurt
05-01-2012, 10:40 PM
wait who??? you mean those guys who under performed in football and didn't make the NIT in Basketball? Yawn... i'll get back to my Playoff Basketball and Hockey....

OSUPeterson
05-02-2012, 06:06 AM
wait who??? you mean those guys who under performed in football and didn't make the NIT in Basketball? Yawn... i'll get back to my Playoff Basketball and Hockey....

+1

ou48A
05-02-2012, 09:07 AM

+ Tens of thousands OU fans.

There are still far more OU fans than fans of other teams / universities in our state.
Given OU dominate fan lead way to much of the local media does a poor job of covering OU sports and even covering
news about what the university is doing.

BoulderSooner
05-02-2012, 09:09 AM
+ Tens of thousands OU fans.

There are still far more OU fans than fans of other teams / universities in our state.
Given OU dominate fan lead way to much of the local media does a poor job of covering OU sports and even covering
news about what the university is doing.

this times 100 .... .. OU out number thunder fans 2-1 or more state wide ... and osu fans 4-1 or more state wide

jedicurt
05-02-2012, 09:26 AM
this times 100 .... .. OU out number thunder fans 2-1 or more state wide ... and osu fans 4-1 or more state wide

which kinda of makes you think, how could anyone forget the Sooners... no one has... but this is offseason for the major OU sports... so let the others get some shine for a few minutes, cause wants fall comes around, there will be very little else that gets exposure

onthestrip
05-02-2012, 09:37 AM

Can we please stop pulling numbers out of thin air? 2-1, 4-1? These are total guesses. And OU fans outnumber Thunder fans 2-1? Come on. You do realize that Thunder gets support from nearly all Oklahomans, regardless of collegiate allegiance? OSU fans, Tulsa fans, Arkansas fans, and yes, OU fans mostly all support the Thunder.

But whatever, back to the OP. What are we forgetting about OU right now? A mediocre baseball team? Golf, Tennis? The Thunder are in the midst of beating the defending champions right now in the first round of the playoffs. What else do you expect? Another detailed look into the surprise players of spring football? Maybe you should subscribe to the OU student newspaper.

ou48A
05-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Can we please stop pulling numbers out of thin air? 2-1, 4-1? These are total guesses. And OU fans outnumber Thunder fans 2-1? Come on. You do realize that Thunder gets support from nearly all Oklahomans, regardless of collegiate allegiance? OSU fans, Tulsa fans, Arkansas fans, and yes, OU fans mostly all support the Thunder.

But whatever, back to the OP. What are we forgetting about OU right now? A mediocre baseball team? Golf, Tennis? The Thunder are in the midst of beating the defending champions right now in the first round of the playoffs. What else do you expect? Another detailed look into the surprise players of spring football? Maybe you should subscribe to the OU student newspaper.

Numbers are not pulled out of thin air….

A recent poll along with others have shown that OU fans are by far the dominant fan force in Oklahoma and it’s not even close
If I remember correctly 79% of those polled in Oklahoma said their first team of choice was the Oklahoma Sooners.
There are watch parties and meetings of Sooners fans from coast to coast. Thousands fly or drive into every OU football game from out of state.

OU has fans all over the world. Before TV started showing every game OU had the second largest sports radio network in the world trailing only Notre Dame. It wasn’t unusually to have over 700 radio station covering an OU football game worldwide.
PS: Along with good numbers of other OU fans I could care less about the NBA.

ou48A
05-02-2012, 10:04 AM
To the lack of good local OU coverage.
WWLS did not send a full time on air person to cover OU’s most recent bowl game.

This is made even more incriminating when you consider that OSU was playing in the same market just a few days later and there was no shortage of OSU coverage by WWLS.

onthestrip
05-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Numbers are not pulled out of thin air….

A recent poll along with others have shown that OU fans are by far the dominant fan force in Oklahoma and it’s not even close
If I remember correctly 79% of those polled in Oklahoma said their first team of choice was the Oklahoma Sooners.
There are watch parties and meetings of Sooners fans from coast to coast. Thousands fly or drive into every OU football game from out of state.

OU has fans all over the world. Before TV started showing every game OU had the second largest sports radio network in the world trailing only Notre Dame. It wasn’t unusually to have over 700 radio station covering an OU football game worldwide.
PS: Along with good numbers of other OU fans I could care less about the NBA.

I have to see this poll because I have serious doubts that 79% is accurate. Plus the wording is different than what bouldersooner said. First team of choice and fans are totally different. Maybe a couple years ago there were still more OU fans in the state but I dont see that now. Nearly all of Oklahoma roots for the Thunder, there is no other competition ala OSU/OU.

And OU having fans all over the country and world wasnt the orginal argument but I believe the works of Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka, Thabo and so on have brought the worlds attention to the OKC Thunder. Probably a little more than OU.

SoonerBoy18
05-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Woah 79% I love my Sooners but that poll makes me feel sorry for the 21% of Cowboys fans. I wish the fan base were equal but thats like impossible. Considering that Oklahoma State just came off their best football season ever and the fans STILL couldnt sell 60,218 tickets.

BrettM2
05-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Maybe it's because I'm not originally from here and so lack the requisite OU vs. OSU gene, but is there a more insecure fanbase than OU? For having seven national championships, dozens of conference championships, hundreds of wins, etc., it seems a bit much. I spent 2 years in Stillwater and don't remember seeing so much insecurity.

ou48A
05-02-2012, 10:37 AM
I have to see this poll because I have serious doubts that 79% is accurate. Plus the wording is different than what bouldersooner said. First team of choice and fans are totally different. Maybe a couple years ago there were still more OU fans in the state but I dont see that now. Nearly all of Oklahoma roots for the Thunder, there is no other competition ala OSU/OU.

And OU having fans all over the country and world wasnt the orginal argument but I believe the works of Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka, Thabo and so on have brought the worlds attention to the OKC Thunder. Probably a little more than OU.

The poll results were posted on this on this board. It makes no difference if you believe it or not.
OU fans are the dominant fan force in Oklahoma and it’s not even close.

As far as the Thunder being more popular than OU football around the nation. LOL LOL LOL
All you need to do is look at the national TV ratings and you will see that the Thunder and the NBA in general is not nearly as well watched as OU or major college football.

ou48A
05-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Maybe it's because I'm not originally from here and so lack the requisite OU vs. OSU gene, but is there a more insecure fanbase than OU? For having seven national championships, dozens of conference championships, hundreds of wins, etc., it seems a bit much. I spent 2 years in Stillwater and don't remember seeing so much insecurity.

If you knew the history over the years you would know that the OSU fan base has the little brother syndrome in a bad way and it results in far more insecurities.

ou48A
05-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Woah 79% I love my Sooners but that poll makes me feel sorry for the 21% of Cowboys fans. I wish the fan base were equal but thats like impossible. Considering that Oklahoma State just came off their best football season ever and the fans STILL couldnt sell 60,218 tickets.OU's cause would not be helped by having OSU equal in fan base size.

Richard at Remax
05-02-2012, 10:49 AM
Even as an OU fan this is prob top 5 dumbest threads ever created

ou48A
05-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Well, OU won’t be forgotten… but they do deserve to have its bowl games covered better than WWLS did.

onthestrip
05-02-2012, 11:00 AM
As far as the Thunder being more popular than OU football around the nation. LOL LOL LOL
All you need to do is look at the national TV ratings and you will see that the Thunder and the NBA in general is not nearly as well watched as OU or major college football.

Of course the ratings are better, its football, its on the weekend, its a few times a year compared with 82 NBA games or 162 MLB games. Doesnt mean they have a bigger national fan base. And even if they do, its only for the moment. Durant and the Thunder are quickly gaining fans from all over.

Even as an OU fan this is prob top 5 dumbest threads ever created

I agree, Im done with this thread. I cant argue with OU48A or any of the other posters with OU or sooner in their name.

ou48A
05-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Of course the ratings are better, its football, its on the weekend, its a few times a year compared with 82 NBA games or 162 MLB games. Doesnt mean they have a bigger national fan base. And even if they do, its only for the moment. Durant and the Thunder are quickly gaining fans from all over.

I agree, Im done with this thread. I cant argue with OU48A or any of the other posters with OU or sooner in their name.

The Thunder may be the hot fad of the moment but let them have a few years of poor records and they will be just like 95% of the other small market professional franchises.

On the other hand OU football has decades of built in support and on a much larger scale.
OU Football was recently named as the most prestigious college football program of all time by ESPN.

BrettM2
05-02-2012, 11:29 AM
If you knew the history over the years you would know that the OSU fan base has the little brother syndrome in a bad way and it results in far more insecurities.

I do know the history. I'm an OSU fan and have seen my share of insecurities from OSU. That's to be expected for a program that is overshadowed by OU's. What I don't understand is why OU has the same complex. It wasn't a comparison of the two, simply an observation of how ridiculous it is that OU would feel neglected.

ou48A
05-02-2012, 11:40 AM
I do know the history. I'm an OSU fan and have seen my share of insecurities from OSU. That's to be expected for a program that is overshadowed by OU's. What I don't understand is why OU has the same complex. It wasn't a comparison of the two, simply an observation of how ridiculous it is that OU would feel neglected.

Then tell me why WWLS did not send a full time on air host to cover OU most recent bowl game?
Why do the local media admit to giving OSU equal coverage when the OSU fan base is far smaller?

Another point is that this sure seems like a poor way to operate a business particularly when the WWLS AM broad casting tower is located in Norman.

PS you claim not to have the “gene” in one post then turn around and claim to be an OSU fan. The fact that you are posting here on this thread means you have the gene or what ever you want to call it.
Go figure.

BoulderSooner
05-02-2012, 11:51 AM

monday was a very very highly rated Thunder play off game .... it got a 22.6 rating with 18k in the stands in beat the Sat thunder game that had a 19.1 rating on 2 channels Fox sports ok and on TNT http://newsok.com/thunder-playoff-ratings-up-55-percent-from-last-year/article/3671486?custom_click=pod_headline_oklahoma-city-thunder

last fall OU missouri sept football game .. with 100k people in norman not at home watching TV .. got a 28.9 rating on FX http://newsok.com/ou-osu-games-top-oklahoma-city-tv-ratings/article/3608185

case closed

BoulderSooner
05-02-2012, 11:52 AM
The Thunder may be the hot fad of the moment but let them have a few years of poor records and they will be just like 95% of the other small market professional franchises.

On the other hand OU football has decades of built in support and on a much larger scale.
OU Football was recently named as the most prestigious college football program of all time by ESPN.

100% disagree with this .. thunder are here to stay and will continue to grow as a fan base

Bellaboo
05-02-2012, 11:57 AM
It would surprise you how many 'Thunder' fans are showing up in arenas all over this country. I wore a Thunder shirt in Europe this past fall and people were stopping me all over everywhere wanting to talk about them. Especially in Turkey, cause Thabo was on a Turkish team at the time for one. But the Thunder is way more international than OU ever will be. Everytime KD goes to China, the Thunder gains another million fans...OU doesn't get that type of exposure. (BTW, I'm an OU fan also)

ou48A
05-02-2012, 12:02 PM
100% disagree with this .. thunder are here to stay and will continue to grow as a fan base

You disagree that OU football has decades of built in support and on a much larger scale?

You disagree that OU Football was recently named as the most prestigious college football program of all time by ESPN?

They may do well locally but what makes you think that in 10 years after the careers of the present players are over and that the thunder will be any different than any other small market sports franchise. The NBA draft creates parity.

The only sport program to appear on the Sports illustrated cover more than OU is the New York Yankees.
The Thunder will never be in that league.

Bellaboo
05-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Let's look at the numbers, OU football = 7 home games times 85,000 - 595,000. And some years they only play 6, but they do get 46,000 in Dallas each year, so lets go with 7 games.

Thunder home games = 42 games times 18,200 = 764,000. They play at least 1 pre season home game locally, but actual preseason home games is around 3 or 4, but played else where.

Do people go to OU basketball games ?

We could also count every playoff game here, 18,203 X ???

Bellaboo
05-02-2012, 12:13 PM
The only sport program to appear on the Sports illustrated cover more than OU is the New York Yankees.

Never say never, these guys are in their early twenties age wise, let them roll off a few championships and it will speak volumes. The majority of the world, despises American football, but basketball is accepted everywhere. You get out of this country and very few could tell you what OU football is.

Now I'm an OU fan, but I understand the reality of the situation. World wide, the Thunder, in its infancy, probably has more fans than OU does. Last year a couple came on their honeymoon from Perth, Australia just to go to a Thunder game, because they are fans.....

onthestrip
05-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Then tell me why WWLS did not send a full time on air host to cover OU most recent bowl game?
Why do the local media admit to giving OSU equal coverage when the OSU fan base is far smaller?

Another point is that this sure seems like a poor way to operate a business particularly when the WWLS AM broad casting tower is located in Norman.

I guess I cant stay away. You talk about OSU being insecure but here you are whining why OU doesnt dominate the media. If OU has been on so many SI covers and is the greatest college football program then it sure seems like the Sports Animal would have been there for the Insight Bowl. Maybe because there wasnt much interest, or even worse, OSU was the much bigger story. (gasp)

monday was a very very highly rated Thunder play off game .... it got a 22.6 rating with 18k in the stands in beat the Sat thunder game that had a 19.1 rating on 2 channels Fox sports ok and on TNT http://newsok.com/thunder-playoff-ratings-up-55-percent-from-last-year/article/3671486?custom_click=pod_headline_oklahoma-city-thunder

last fall OU missouri sept football game .. with 100k people in norman not at home watching TV .. got a 28.9 rating on FX http://newsok.com/ou-osu-games-top-oklahoma-city-tv-ratings/article/3608185

case closed

You kind of reiterated my point. Football is king, ratings are high for college and pro football. Doesnt mean there is a bigger fan base. The Miami Dolphins, Tampa Bay Bucs, Jacksnoville Jags all suck yet they will get higher TV ratings than the Miami Heat. Who do you think has more fans?

ou48A
05-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Never say never, these guys are in their early twenties age wise, let them roll off a few championships and it will speak volumes. The majority of the world, despises American football, but basketball is accepted everywhere. You get out of this country and very few could tell you what OU football is.

Now I'm an OU fan, but I understand the reality of the situation. World wide, the Thunder, in its infancy, probably has more fans than OU does. Last year a couple came on their honeymoon from Perth, Australia just to go to a Thunder game, because they are fans.....
When the entire NBA can only put one franchise on the list of the world's 50 most valuable sports teams and it’s in New York City the small market Thunder doesn’t have much hope of having long lasting world appeal.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2011/07/12/the-worlds-50-most-valuable-sports-teams/

Bellaboo
05-02-2012, 12:27 PM
What you are missing is that 3 national stations carry every NBA game in China. They are bigger NBA fans in China than football. If those numbers were factored in, I would bet the NBA wins hands down. We're talking world wide here.

You kind of reiterated my point. Football is king, ratings are high for college and pro football. Doesnt mean there is a bigger fan base. The Miami Dolphins, Tampa Bay Bucs, Jacksnoville Jags all suck yet they will get higher TV ratings than the Miami Heat. Who do you think has more fans?

Bellaboo
05-02-2012, 12:30 PM
When the entire NBA can only put one franchise on the list of the world's 50 most valuable sports teams and it’s in New York City the small market Thunder doesn’t have much hope of having long lasting world appeal.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2011/07/12/the-worlds-50-most-valuable-sports-teams/

You are talking monetary value with this article, not fans. Like I said get out of the county and you will understand.

Also, we were talking 'OU vs. Thunder', where does this article come into play on that regard ? It doesn't.

onthestrip
05-02-2012, 12:35 PM

Worldwide value has nothing to do with appeal or fanbase. The Thunder cant really capitalize on the popularity of the team and its players from around the nation and world. Thousands if not millions of people being Durant fans in China doesnt much help the Thunders bottom line.

ou48A
05-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Let's look at the numbers, OU football = 7 home games times 85,000 - 595,000. And some years they only play 6, but they do get 46,000 in Dallas each year, so lets go with 7 games.

Thunder home games = 42 games times 18,200 = 764,000. They play at least 1 pre season home game locally, but actual preseason home games is around 3 or 4, but played else where.

Do people go to OU basketball games ?

We could also count every playoff game here, 18,203 X ???

There are also normally a few thousand who make OU away games.

I have known of as many as 20,000 OU fans at a USC game in 1981
If OU fans can get tickets 8000 to 9000 is not that uncommon at a drivable road game.
OSU usually returns part of its 4000 ticket allotment to OU when playing in Norman.

The normal numbers for OU bowl games are higher.
OU has taken as many as 35,000 to 40,000 fans to each coast for a bowl games before.

BrettM2
05-02-2012, 12:52 PM

PS you claim not to have the “gene” in one post then turn around and claim to be an OSU fan. The fact that you are posting here on this thread means you have the gene or what ever you want to call it.
Go figure.

I don't know why they didn't cover the Insight Bowl. I know why they covered the Fiesta Bowl. Would you be outraged if it were like most other years and the teams were reversed? It would have made sense that they would have a coverage team for an OU bowl game, but as I don't work for WWLS (nor listen to it unless it is a Thunder broadcast) I can't give you the answer.

I said I don't have the "OU vs. OSU" gene and that is 100% correct. I do not hate OU, at all. Cheering for OSU is not exclusive of hoping OU does well. I only cheer against OU when it is Bedlam time and even then I don't want a 1-9 OSU team derailing a Nat'l Championship team from OU. The fact that I am posting here is because I'm honestly trying to understand the point of this thread and your reaction to it. I'm still trying; nothing you've said has given me any answers.

ou48A
05-02-2012, 12:53 PM

Now I'm an OU fan, but I understand the reality of the situation. World wide, the Thunder, in its infancy, probably has more fans than OU does. Last year a couple came on their honeymoon from Perth, Australia just to go to a Thunder game, because they are fans.....There are OU fans that grew up in England and Germany who have flown into OU games.
There is usually a chartered large plane load of OU fans that fly in from the Middle East to most OU bowl games

ou48A
05-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Many of you may know that NBC has an exclusive deal to show Notre Dame home football games.

But what is not well known even by many OU fans is that NBC offered the exact same nationwide deal to OU first because OU had been receiving the best college football TV ratings since the invention of college football TV coverage.

OU turned down NBC because OU would have been required to leave the Big 8 and this would have created too many scheduling difficulties for other sports.
This occurred shortly after OU and Georgia successful law suit in the US Supreme Court against the NCAA over TV rights.

ou48A
05-02-2012, 12:59 PM
nothing you've said has given me any answers.

If you truly understood the history as you say you do..... you would not need any answers, you would already have them.

Bellaboo
05-02-2012, 01:01 PM
There are also normally a few thousand who make OU away games.

I have known of as many as 20,000 OU fans at a USC game in 1981
If OU fans can get tickets 8000 to 9000 is not that uncommon at a drivable road game.
OSU usually returns part of its 4000 ticket allotment to OU when playing in Norman.

The normal numbers for OU bowl games are higher.
OU has taken as many as 35,000 to 40,000 fans to each coast for a bowl games before.

My son lives in Denver and each year has attended the Thunder games against the nuggets. He said this year that 1/4 of the people in the stands (19,000) sellout, were in Thunder Blue. That speaks volumes about the Thunders fan base. Also, the TV analysts (Thunder do have their own, OU does not) noted this year that the sellouts to watch the Thunder in the opposing teams facilities have increased dramatically. The Bulls, with Jordan, did the same thing year in and year out during the '80's.

I'll say it again, I've always been a big OU fan, but i've seen the light when it comes to professional sports. (Thunder vs OU) We ought to do a revenue comparison between the teams. I think I know who would come out on top of that one.

Bellaboo
05-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Okay,

Thunder -
18,200 X $80 X 42 games = 61 million. I have club level seats (2nd tier) and pay 80 bucks a ticket, so this figure is probably low but lets use it. I also know the suites were all sold out for every game this year, which is huge bucks.

OU -
85,000 X $50 X 7 games = 42,500.000. That just a guess, I know the prices are variable pending who they play.

I also read where OKC said the Thunder has a 1 million dollar impact for every single game. Does OU have that impact for 7 games ?

BrettM2
05-02-2012, 01:25 PM
If you truly understood the history as you say you do..... you would not need any answers, you would already have them.

Your evasive and defensive remarks show me I'll get nothing of substance. Good luck on the upcoming season.

ou48A
05-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Your evasive and defensive remarks show me I'll get nothing of substance. Good luck on the upcoming season.

No... you just got caught.

ou48A
05-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Okay,

Thunder -
18,200 X $80 X 42 games = 61 million. I have club level seats (2nd tier) and pay 80 bucks a ticket, so this figure is probably low but lets use it. I also know the suites were all sold out for every game this year, which is huge bucks.

OU -
85,000 X $50 X 7 games = 42,500.000. That just a guess, I know the prices are variable pending who they play.

The average OU face value of a ticket is about 65 dollars but that hardly tells the story.
The total OU athletic budget will be more than 100 million in 2012 - 2013 school year… most of which will be generated by football either directly or in directly. With new TV contracts on the horizon this figure will likely go up rather significantly and it will be mostly because of football.

During the 2010 season OU football played in front of more than a million people. This number increase nearly every year. I can’t speak for the Thunder but NBA attendance has not been as good as it once was and it’s not as popular by TV market share as it once was.

ou48A
05-02-2012, 01:50 PM
I also read where OKC said the Thunder has a 1 million dollar impact for every single game. Does OU have that impact for 7 games ?

Someone with the city of Norman once claimed several years ago that the OU football had over a $12 million dollar impact to the city of Norman. Keep in mind this is an old number and would not include other nearby areas.

OU football attracts thousands of out of town visitors to each game
Many stay in the downtown OKC hotels.....

Bellaboo
05-02-2012, 01:54 PM
I just did a search on it and the NBA is pretty darn good for ratings - better than the World Series........

'Despite the problems in the early-to-mid-2000s, the NBA's regular season ratings average was (and is) on par with Major League Baseball's, and ratings for the finals continue to outdraw competing events that occur during the same month, such as golf's U.S. Open and the Stanley Cup Finals.

Since 2007, NBA ratings have steadily risen, thanks to the resurgence of nationally recognized NBA teams, their star power, and their annual presence in the NBA Finals. The 2010 Finals, Game 7, had the best rating for a basketball game in the modern NBA on ABC era, and the 2011 Finals held steady in the ratings department as well. Both series drew over a 10 rating, beating the World Series in consecutive years for the first time ever.

However despite the declining TV ratings in the early 2000s and moderate ratings after, NBA's television audience is often younger, and thus very attractive to advertisers.'

Bellaboo
05-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Dean Blevins said international Arab Network 'Al Jazeer' was in the booth next to him for the first playoff game on this past Saturday night... who'd a thunk it.

ou48A
05-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Someone with the city of Norman once claimed several years ago that the OU football had over a $12 million dollar impact to the city of Norman. Keep in mind this is an old number and would not include other nearby areas.

OU football attracts thousands of out of town visitors to each game
Many stay in the downtown OKC hotels.....

To add to this post^
For many years I have sat next to 2 gentlemen from Denver. They have missed about 2 games in the past 15 years. Behind me is a group from the Texas panhandle. In front of me are people from Dallas and Tulsa. When john Blake was the OU coach there were an estimated 4000 OU season football ticket holders from the North Texas area. It’s likely higher now. But they all spend good money in our area.

ou48A
05-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Dean Blevins said international Arab Network 'Al Jazeer' was in the booth next to him for the first playoff game on this past Saturday night... who'd a thunk it.

I heard him talking about that.
He seemed uncomfortable about it too.

jedicurt
05-02-2012, 02:04 PM
i think the issue comes down to what is going on right now.... no one is forgetting about OU... but OU is known for football, and there is nothing important going on with football right now. This is the Thunders time to shine, and we should all enjoy that. OU Football will be at the forefront again come August

onthestrip
05-02-2012, 02:17 PM
I can’t speak for the Thunder but NBA attendance has not been as good as it once was and it’s not as popular by TV market share as it once was.

Sorry but your facts are off and you continue to pull numbers out of thin air. The Thunder are virtual sellouts every game and NBA ratings have been on fire this year. Specifically the Thunder, a 140% jump from last year.
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/02/27/Media/NBA-RSNs.aspx

But hey, you knew someone that came from Colorado...

BrettM2
05-02-2012, 02:26 PM
No... you just got caught.

I don't know why I'm responding, but my confusion is getting the best of me. How did I get caught? What did I do that needed catching? I know the history of the series. I know that for the first few decades, OSU barely won anything against OU. I know that 80 something wins to 17 is not equal. I know that OSU is just now enjoying prolonged success in football (outside of the end of the '80s that ended in probation).

What I'm confused about is why are you so defensive about everything? Who cares if the Thunder makes more money or has more of an impact or is liked by more people? Why do they have to be mutually exclusive? 79% of people may respond that they favor OU, but that doesn't mean that they can't like the Thunder. I'd definitely believe the 79% split against OSU, that's what happens in a state when there is a legendary program involved. Your responses seem completely out of proportion to what anyone is saying. No one is knocking OU. It isn't football season, it is playoff time in the NBA and we feature one of the three best teams in the league right now.

If you want to assume I have malicious intent because I said I'm an OSU fan, nothing will stop you. I moved to Oklahoma in 1992 when I was 8 years old, to the OKC metro in 1996. Before 1996, I never heard anything about either school. You can hate/dislike/think I'm an idiot because I have orange shirts in my closet, but that doesn't mean I have to understand why that is. Quite frankly, the entire hatred aspect of the rivalry is beyond stupid (on both sides). OU is the better football program, has a bigger stadium, has more donors, has more travelling fans, sells out much more often, etc. Those things are beyond dispute.

Why are you so defensive?

ou48A
05-02-2012, 02:47 PM
i think the issue comes down to what is going on right now.... no one is forgetting about OU... but OU is known for football, and there is nothing important going on with football right now. This is the Thunders time to shine, and we should all enjoy that. OU Football will be at the forefront again come August

That seems reasonable except the Thunder will still dominate the topic of conversation on WWLS even when OU is playing a big name opponent.

OKCisOK4me
05-02-2012, 02:49 PM
You disagree that OU football has decades of built in support and on a much larger scale?

You disagree that OU Football was recently named as the most prestigious college football program of all time by ESPN?

They may do well locally but what makes you think that in 10 years after the careers of the present players are over and that the thunder will be any different than any other small market sports franchise. The NBA draft creates parity.

Calm down Matlock ;-)

Matt
05-02-2012, 02:55 PM
I don't know why I'm responding, but my confusion is getting the best of me. How did I get caught? What did I do that needed catching? I know the history of the series. I know that for the first few decades, OSU barely won anything against OU. I know that 80 something wins to 17 is not equal. I know that OSU is just now enjoying prolonged success in football (outside of the end of the '80s that ended in probation).

What I'm confused about is why are you so defensive about everything? Who cares if the Thunder makes more money or has more of an impact or is liked by more people? Why do they have to be mutually exclusive? 79% of people may respond that they favor OU, but that doesn't mean that they can't like the Thunder. I'd definitely believe the 79% split against OSU, that's what happens in a state when there is a legendary program involved. Your responses seem completely out of proportion to what anyone is saying. No one is knocking OU. It isn't football season, it is playoff time in the NBA and we feature one of the three best teams in the league right now.

If you want to assume I have malicious intent because I said I'm an OSU fan, nothing will stop you. I moved to Oklahoma in 1992 when I was 8 years old, to the OKC metro in 1996. Before 1996, I never heard anything about either school. You can hate/dislike/think I'm an idiot because I have orange shirts in my closet, but that doesn't mean I have to understand why that is. Quite frankly, the entire hatred aspect of the rivalry is beyond stupid (on both sides). OU is the better football program, has a bigger stadium, has more donors, has more travelling fans, sells out much more often, etc. Those things are beyond dispute.

Why are you so defensive?

Well said.

Between this thread and that other one about them refusing to wear orange t-shirts for a potential "orange out" during a Thunder playoff game (http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=29028&page=8&p=532412#post532412), the insecurity of some OU people here is on full display.

ou48A
05-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Well said.

Between this thread and that other one about them refusing to wear orange t-shirts for a potential "orange out" during a Thunder playoff game, the insecurity of some OU people here is on full display.

LOL And some of you take the bait hook line and sinker LOL

Matt
05-02-2012, 03:03 PM
LOL And some of you take the bait hook line and sinker LOL

Oh, so you're actually just trolling here, and you're not really as insecure as you're coming across? Alright then, you got me. Carry on.

YO MUDA
05-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Whats the big deal? I Love NASCAR and OU Football. I cheered for OSU last year too. I know absolutly nothing about basketball, but Im proud as heck of our home state THUNDER.

Martin
05-02-2012, 03:36 PM
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc329/robertowns955/1906734-1595201_oh_look_its_this_thread_again_super.jpg

onthestrip
05-02-2012, 03:50 PM
That seems reasonable except the Thunder will still dominate the topic of conversation on WWLS even when OU is playing a big name opponent.

Well then, it obviously appears that OU isnt as big of deal as you seem to think.

OKCisOK4me
05-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Well then, it obviously appears that OU isnt as big of deal as you seem to think.

The funny thing is that everyone seems to forget the original poster SoonerQueen. She's probably wondering how her thread turned into this debacle. I just think the OU fans are mad because their first NFL draft pick was 52nd overall. It's okay guys, here's your crimson shoes back, I really didn't like wearing them anyway. Seems as if you didn't enjoy wearing the orange shoes for one year but at least now you know how it is for us lifer fans on the real, every year...

BoulderSooner
05-03-2012, 08:25 AM
Okay,

Thunder -

OU -

your numbers are way way off ... you get my seats for OU football and basketball for that matter i have to pay a donation to the sooner club ..

the true cost of tickets is much higher than you projection ... not to mention ticket price is closer to 70 a game then 50