View Full Version : Don't forget our OU Sooners!

Pages : 1 [2] 3

dcsooner
05-03-2012, 08:27 AM
College sports are great, but, I have shifted most of my focus to the Thunder. When you only have college options thats what you go with but when you experience professional sports its sort of like maturing in age from 18 to say 35

SoonerBoy18
05-03-2012, 09:40 AM
OUr baseball and gymnastics team is doing very good but no one is giving it any recognition. On the other hand, Does the local news media give any recognition to Oklahoma States wrestling team? Absolutly not. So it balances out. In my opinion.

jedicurt
05-03-2012, 10:39 AM
That seems reasonable except the Thunder will still dominate the topic of conversation on WWLS even when OU is playing a big name opponent.

yes, this last season... NBA lockout news kinda ruled the roost... but it WAS a major story and needed the coverage. Lets see what happens this next year when it will be a standard news cycle, then make our determination.

Lord Helmet
05-03-2012, 11:08 AM
My son lives in Denver and each year has attended the Thunder games against the nuggets. He said this year that 1/4 of the people in the stands (19,000) sellout, were in Thunder Blue.

I was there too. I don't know if it was 1/4...but it was close. LOTS of Thunder blue at Pepsi Center that night.

Bellaboo
05-03-2012, 11:41 AM
your numbers are way way off ... you get my seats for OU football and basketball for that matter i have to pay a donation to the sooner club ..

the true cost of tickets is much higher than you projection ... not to mention ticket price is closer to 70 a game then 50

I said this was a guess.... I've sat twice on the Thunder sideline next to Durants family at $600.00 a ticket X 2. I took the average for the Thunder at $80 a seat, but I believe that is way low. I know the majority of the lower bowl is $135 and $250 a seat on the court side, not counting the first 3 rows. The Thunder actually was on National TV 24 times this year, not counting playoffs. How many National games did OU get televised this year...? Can't be more than 13 or 14 ? I believe the Thunder probably generates more money than the Sooners....It woud be interesting to know.

I was told how much the CHK Arena suites cost on a per game basis, but I forgot......but I do remember it was a ridiculous amount, into the thousands... X 41 games regular season. And they sold out every suite for every game this year.

You pay a club donation plus buy your tickets for OU.......For 2 Thunder club level seats this year, counting the playoffs, I would have paid right at $10,000. And I'm in the corner, not the more expensive club seats. I did get a refund back to my account for $1,100 for the canceled games.

I'm an OU fan and all, but the Thunder has been way more fun. I honestly have a hard time watching the college basketball game anymore...kind of looks like a bunch of high schoolers out there running around.

Bellaboo
05-03-2012, 11:54 AM
I was there too. I don't know if it was 1/4...but it was close. LOTS of Thunder blue at Pepsi Center that night.

My son told me that at last years game, they sat next to a retired couple from Grand Junction.....they had Thunder shirts on. He asked how they became fans and they said they liked the Thunders young players and style of ball so they go to the games when they are at the Pepsi center and also at Salt Lake City to play the Jazz.

Yes, listing to the TV commentators, the Thunder has drawn real well on the road...it's pretty cool to see all the KD and other Thunder jerseys in the crowd on away games.

SoonerBoy18
05-03-2012, 03:34 PM

Someone on this site that they seen a lot of Oklahoma licence plates there, I even heard the Thunder fans when Kevin Durant dunked that night.

SoonerBoy18
05-03-2012, 03:36 PM
My son told me that at last years game, they sat next to a retired couple from Grand Junction.....they had Thunder shirts on. He asked how they became fans and they said they liked the Thunders young players and style of ball so they go to the games when they are at the Pepsi center and also at Salt Lake City to play the Jazz.

Yes, listing to the TV commentators, the Thunder has drawn real well on the road...it's pretty cool to see all the KD and other Thunder jerseys in the crowd on away games.

So far New Jersey is the arena where most thunder fans be when they are on the road. I think

Spartan
05-03-2012, 04:17 PM
My only response to this thread...

Thunder Up!

MDot
05-03-2012, 04:25 PM
My only response to this thread...

Thunder Up!

This.

Lord Helmet
05-04-2012, 08:45 AM
So far New Jersey is the arena where most thunder fans be when they are on the road. I think

IIRC it was also spring break in OK that week. We walked in with a family from OK that had been up in the mountains skiing but came down to go to the game.

ou48A
05-04-2012, 11:45 AM
From ESPN this is the athletic department operating revenue for a few universities.

University of Texas at Austin $150,295,926
University of Oklahoma $104,338,844
University of Louisville $87,736,323
Oklahoma State University $82,631,915
Florida State University $78,575,788
University of Kansas $74,850,203
Kansas State University $69,947,834
University of Maryland $61,634,829
Clemson University $61,174,977
West Virginia University $60,451,426
Baylor University $59,859,235
Texas Tech University $59,534,895
Texas Christian University $56,245,071
Iowa State University $48,591,616

http://b2.caspio.com/dp.asp?appSession=315289617397323&RecordID=&PageID=2&PrevPageID=2&cpipage=1&CPIsortType=asc&CPIorderby=Athletic_department_operating_re

Matt
05-04-2012, 11:59 AM
From ESPN this is the athletic department operating revenue for a few universities.

Hmm.

reverend
05-04-2012, 12:39 PM
I think the reason WWLS sent someone to the Fiesta Bowl and not the Insight Bowl is because it was the Fiesta Bowl and the Insight Bowl. Who gives two nickels about the Insight Bowl? That is why so many consider a 10-3 season a waste, because the Sooners played in a throw away bowl game.

onthestrip
05-04-2012, 12:44 PM

Florida State University $78,575,788
University of Kansas $74,850,203
Kansas State University $69,947,834
University of Maryland $61,634,829
Clemson University $61,174,977
West Virginia University $60,451,426
Baylor University $59,859,235
Texas Tech University $59,534,895
Texas Christian University $56,245,071
Iowa State University $48,591,616

http://b2.caspio.com/dp.asp?appSession=315289617397323&RecordID=&PageID=2&PrevPageID=2&cpipage=1&CPIsortType=asc&CPIorderby=Athletic_department_operating_re

And what does this have to do with the original argument? If you want to start a thread on why you think OU is supreme over all others then go do it. Otherwise I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

ou48A
05-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Hmm.

And what about it?

ou48A
05-04-2012, 01:55 PM
And what does this have to do with the original argument? If you want to start a thread on why you think OU is supreme over all others then go do it. Otherwise I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

Wow…. is there something about the truth that threatens you. Your response really shows your insecurities coming out in you.

The reason why I posted this information was because there was previous speculation about the money involved and this introduces facts into the discussion.

ou48A
05-04-2012, 02:05 PM
I think the reason WWLS sent someone to the Fiesta Bowl and not the Insight Bowl is because it was the Fiesta Bowl and the Insight Bowl. Who gives two nickels about the Insight Bowl? That is why so many consider a 10-3 season a waste, because the Sooners played in a throw away bowl game.

There were thousands of OU fans at this Bowl game. This is more than attended a few other previous OU bowl games that WWLS did cover with full time on air employees. There are still many people who care. But never the less it’s a very poor reflection on WWLS to have not sent a full time on air show host and it’s an indication of how they feel about OU. They could very easily paid their employees expenses for 2 or 3 extra days and covered both games with full time on air host.

PS: but for what it’s worth I have stopped listing to 99% + of WWLS programing.
WWLS has gradually become a fairly poor product no matter what team you root for.

onthestrip
05-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Wow…. is there something about the truth that threatens you. Your response really shows your insecurities coming out in you.

The reason why I posted this information was because there was previous speculation about the money involved and this introduces facts into the discussion.
I have a hard time seeing any insecurity in my post, I'm just pointing out that you continue to throw out things that have nothing to do with the original argument, which was more about thunder vs ou.

And it's funny how you point out other fans so called insecurities when your posts ooze insecurity. It's like your life is incomplete until you get everyone to say ou is the greatest thing in state history.

ou48A
05-05-2012, 11:29 AM
I have a hard time seeing any insecurity in my post, I'm just pointing out that you continue to throw out things that have nothing to do with the original argument, which was more about thunder vs ou.

And it's funny how you point out other fans so called insecurities when your posts ooze insecurity. It's like your life is incomplete until you get everyone to say ou is the greatest thing in state history.

Not only do you have issues of insecurity you are have comprehension issues.
This thread has taken several different directions and OU’s money was previously discussed by others.

I posted facts about money and not speculation as others had done.
The fact that you would even take issue with known facts shows your insecurities and lack of comprehension that seems to be growing with every post you make.

BoulderSooner
06-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Can we please stop pulling numbers out of thin air? 2-1, 4-1? These are total guesses. And OU fans outnumber Thunder fans 2-1? Come on. You do realize that Thunder gets support from nearly all Oklahomans, regardless of collegiate allegiance? OSU fans, Tulsa fans, Arkansas fans, and yes, OU fans mostly all support the Thunder.

But whatever, back to the OP. What are we forgetting about OU right now? A mediocre baseball team? Golf, Tennis? The Thunder are in the midst of beating the defending champions right now in the first round of the playoffs. What else do you expect? Another detailed look into the surprise players of spring football? Maybe you should subscribe to the OU student newspaper.

just an update .. to this ... the numbers don't lie ...... the biggest game in thunder history got a 34 rating ... about the same as OU fsu last season ...

OU uf national championship game got a 50.0 rating in okc and a 48 in tulsa ....

and nationally OU football is more relevant (as is all major college football vs NBA) as college football national championship always gets better ratings then the finals

Bellaboo
06-08-2012, 01:43 PM
just an update .. to this ... the numbers don't lie ...... the biggest game in thunder history got a 34 rating ... about the same as OU fsu last season ...

OU uf national championship game got a 50.0 rating in okc and a 48 in tulsa ....

and nationally OU football is more relevant (as is all major college football vs NBA) as college football national championship always gets better ratings then the finals

You are living in a DREAM WORLD if you think college football is bigger than the NBA...... Hardly anyone in the rest of the world, the majority of the Planet...knows much about college football. Now lets see how many TV sets are tuned into the NBA Finals world wide (3 stations are carrying in China BTW) compared to amature athletics.....

You are losing credibility quickly on this subject...The mayor (or a former mayor) was in Turkey earlier this year and they were all over him about the Thunder and KD.....you could count on one hand the number of people in Turkey who knows who Bob Stoops is......

Also, I watched the Thunder - Lakers Game 3 on a cruise ship out in the middle of the mediterranean a couple of weeks back.......not sure if those types of stations get pulled into the number ratings, or the China numbers.....???

Jersey Boss
06-08-2012, 02:29 PM
I think one needs to define the geographic entity to make your arguement. In the State of Oklahoma, OU football trumps the Thunder. Nationally, based on tv ratings, college football trumps the NBA, MLB, and NHL. Internationally, the NBA trumps American style football, but the NBA does not even come close to the interest of the the World Cup.

BoulderSooner
06-08-2012, 07:24 PM
I think one needs to define the geographic entity to make your arguement. In the State of Oklahoma, OU football trumps the Thunder. Nationally, based on tv ratings, college football trumps the NBA, MLB, and NHL. Internationally, the NBA trumps American style football, but the NBA does not even come close to the interest of the the World Cup.

This. Reading is important. NATIONALLY. KEY WORD

boscorama
06-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Leave it to some OU fans to whine at a time like this.

:laughing_

CuatrodeMayo
06-08-2012, 09:58 PM
http://chan.catiewayne.com/b/src/133355165284.jpg

Spartan
06-09-2012, 08:23 AM
Why don't any of you look outside, go eat out or something, or drive around town and count car flags, and tell me which sport/team has more support.

I'll be doing my best to not forget about OU football's disappointing season. Hell, the last championship they won was 12 years ago.

Snowman
06-09-2012, 08:29 AM
Why don't any of you look outside, go eat out or something, or drive around town and count car flags, and tell me which sport/team has more support.

The number of flags are going to be skewed either way when one is at the championship/finals and the other is still doing pre-season drills.

ou48A
06-09-2012, 09:01 AM
In a few years it will be interesting to see how much enthusiasm remains for the Thunder when players age, become free agents and then when the draft creates its parity. Other things like the newness wearing off and a decline in the price of oil would also have an impact.
I can only imagine what the reaction will be when the inevitable rumors occur about the franchise being sold and moved to a different market?

Easy180
06-09-2012, 02:13 PM
I am just glad the Thunder are around for some of us to have this argument :p

Bellaboo
06-09-2012, 07:59 PM

I'll be doing my best to not forget about OU football's disappointing season. Hell, the last championship they won was 12 years ago.

This........................ couldn't even sell out the Insight Bowl.......that just shows the kind of draw they now have nationally.

Matt
06-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Every time a car gets it's Thunder flags, some Sooner fan out there grows more and more butthurt.

ljbab728
06-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Every time a car gets it's Thunder flags, some Sooner fan out there grows more and more butthurt.

Please see my post number 72 under the NBA Finals thread. Trying to represent things as a Sooners vs. Thunder thing is just silly.

bretthexum
06-09-2012, 09:40 PM
I find this hilarious. I mean REALLY? Are there actual OU fans that would not wear orange at a Thunder game because OSU wears orange? Get a life people!

ljbab728
06-09-2012, 09:47 PM
I find this hilarious. I mean REALLY? Are there actual OU fans that would not wear orange at a Thunder game because OSU wears orange? Get a life people!

And the Thunder organization has obviously decided against it so it's time for people who are pushing for that to get over it.

Matt
06-09-2012, 10:40 PM

Someone needs to put together one of those lists of important inventions and pop culture moments that have occurred since OU won that championship.

You know, things like the iPod, the first OSU plane crash, September 11, Xbox, the death of Saddam Hussein, the iPhone, the first black president, and the entire run of Arrested Development. Stuff like that.

ljbab728
06-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Someone needs to put together one of those lists of important inventions and pop culture moments that have occurred since OU won that championship.

You know, things like the iPod, the first OSU plane crash, September 11, Xbox, the death of Saddam Hussein, the iPhone, the first black president, and the entire run of Arrested Development. Stuff like that.

Why?

Spartan
06-10-2012, 12:07 AM

Several major comets lol..

dankrutka
06-10-2012, 02:18 AM
As an OU alumnus and huge supporter, I must admit that this thread is the most worthless waste of time of any thread not in the politics section I've read on this board. Thunder up!

SoonerBoy18
06-10-2012, 09:54 AM
Who would get so upset when a car has more Thunder decal than Sooners? Lol i personally want to see more Thunder stickers on the back window of cars, and more upside down Longhorn stickers.

soonermike81
06-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Please see my post number 72 under the NBA Finals thread. Trying to represent things as a Sooners vs. Thunder thing is just silly.

This^^^^! Are OSU fans seriously trying to somehow turn the Thunder into "their" team and put them versus OU? I'm pretty sure 99% of the people in the state are OKC Thunder fans. College teams are a whole other animal and should only be compared to other college teams.

Spartan
06-10-2012, 04:42 PM
The number of flags are going to be skewed either way when one is at the championship/finals and the other is still doing pre-season drills.

There are nowhere near this many OU/OSU car flags combined during football season. The car flag thing is a Thunder-only phenomenon.

rcjunkie
06-10-2012, 05:22 PM
There are nowhere near this many OU/OSU car flags combined during football season. The car flag thing is a Thunder-only phenomenon.

You need to get out more during football season.

Spartan
06-10-2012, 05:41 PM
That's preposterous, you may see one or two during the course of a 30 minute commute, but don't even claim that the car flag sightings are near as often. During that same 30 minute commute right now you'll see at least 30 car flags. Maybe you need to get out more.

dankrutka
06-11-2012, 01:38 PM
?...and more upside down Longhorn stickers.

NO!!! Nothing is more embarrassing than OU fans giving money and priority to Texas with upside down Longhorns paraphernalia. I hate this.

Spartan
06-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Nothing like a school pride that is based on your enemies.

Maybe this thread isn't so bad after all, perhaps "not forgetting our OU Sooners" can be fun. :rolleyes:

SoonerBoy18
06-11-2012, 04:24 PM
NO!!! Nothing is more embarrassing than OU fans giving money and priority to Texas with upside down Longhorns paraphernalia. I hate this.

I have even seen a Suv with Oklahoma State sticker with an upside down Longhorn sticker right under it. It was one of the best things I have ever seen.

kevinpate
06-12-2012, 05:51 AM

I'm thinking you've been in Calgary or otherwise road tripping in the fall in recent years. Dead pig fan flags are everywhere throughout the football season. I still see them regularly, though not as thickly, during the height of other sport seasons as well.

ou48A
06-12-2012, 09:27 AM
For the OU fans …… please know that it’s 81 days until kickoff..... I can hardly wait!

I could almost care less about the NBA,,,, but I say let the Thunder fans have their fun….. It’s not very often that a small market professional franchise is able to play at this high of level and what they are doing is good for Oklahoma.

PS: while you still see some, the car flag fad is long past its peak for most college football fans.

onthestrip
06-12-2012, 12:22 PM
FWIW..the nba finals will be broadcast in 215 countries. This is no doubt the biggest sporting event to ever take place in Oklahoma.

Spartan
06-12-2012, 12:25 PM
For the OU fans …… please know that it’s 81 days until kickoff..... I can hardly wait!

I could almost care less about the NBA

This post is just complete and utter blasphemy.

BoulderSooner
06-12-2012, 12:36 PM
FWIW..the nba finals will be broadcast in 215 countries. This is no doubt the biggest sporting event to ever take place in Oklahoma.

the biggest event in the context of the world ...

but OU football is bigger in THIS state .... and OU national championship games are bigger in THIS country

BoulderSooner
06-12-2012, 12:36 PM
This post is just complete and utter blasphemy.

and yet those are the feelings of many in our state

soonermike81
06-12-2012, 12:56 PM

but OU football is bigger in THIS state .... and OU national championship games are bigger in THIS country

I'll probably have to disagree with that. I think more people across the country will tune into the NBA Finals than they would one of our national championship games. If we were to go to the BCS Title game this year, I think this NBA Finals appearance will be a much bigger ordeal. Just my opinion...

onthestrip
06-12-2012, 01:00 PM

Um, no, not in the context of the world but in the context of the biggest sporting event to ever take place in Oklahoma, bar none. I know ou fans, especially ones with ou or sooner in their screen name, like to make one argument into another but this is definitely the biggest sporting event in Oklahoma ever. That can't be argued.

And btw, all NCAA football title games are bigger in this country, not just OUs.

Skyline
06-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Who has the most FB friends or Twitter followers?

Lol!

BoulderSooner
06-12-2012, 01:23 PM
I'll probably have to disagree with that. I think more people across the country will tune into the NBA Finals than they would one of our national championship games. If we were to go to the BCS Title game this year, I think this NBA Finals appearance will be a much bigger ordeal. Just my opinion...

look at the ratings ...

in Oklahoma it won't be close ... OU florida MNC game 53 rating in okc and 48 in tulsa ... 2000 OU fsu 64 rating in okc ..

i will be shocked if the finals gets close to that

on the national level the bcs national championship game has had better ratings than the finals every year but last year .. the all SEC bama lsu rematch was the 2nd lowest rated championship game ...

most years the ratings are not that close ...

Thunder spurs game 6 (biggest game in thunder history) had about the same instate ratings (34) as OU fsu regular season last year

BoulderSooner
06-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Um, no, not in the context of the world but in the context of the biggest sporting event to ever take place in Oklahoma, bar none. I know ou fans, especially ones with ou or sooner in their screen name, like to make one argument into another but this is definitely the biggest sporting event in Oklahoma ever. That can't be argued.

And btw, all NCAA football title games are bigger in this country, not just OUs.

your correct because College football is a bigger sport than the NBA in the USA

Skyline
06-12-2012, 01:36 PM
NBA Finals coverage is available in 215 countries and 47 different languages.

onthestrip
06-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Would like to see the ratings of an nba finals where it's one game, winner take all because arguing about ratings for a one game sporting event compared to a best of 7 event is really difficult.