View Full Version : Cox vs. Uverse

yukong
04-29-2012, 09:22 PM
I know there are some threads on here about Cox vs. Direct and others. But I would like to ask those here that have used Uverse what they think of the service. I have had Cox since moving back to OKC. No real problems with Cox. But Uverse has been intriguing me for some time. They have hit me up with a good offer and I'm considering making a change. We have Cox internet, Digital/HD cable and phone. If we change, we would get all the same with Uverse. For those that have tired both...which do/did you prefer. Any input would be appreciated. Is Uverse internet as good as Cox. How about equipment?

Thanks in advance for your help.

G

kevinpate
04-30-2012, 03:15 AM
I've had Uverse for near on three years. Had Cox many years prior. I do not miss Cox in the least. As for customer service, only one small gripe in the 2.5 plus years and it was resolved fairly quick.

OSUPeterson
04-30-2012, 06:41 AM
I love U-verse. Much better all around. My internet speeds were closer to what was advertised, unlike with cox. They have amazing deals all the time. Once your promo runs out, you can usually call back in and get back on a new one.

The guide and DVR is also so much better. Its insane how behind the times cox's equipment and UI is these days. If you have the ability to go with U-verse, I would say do it. Don't even think about it.

I just wish I could get it in my area over in gatewood. So pissed I have to settle with cox and pay a lot more for a lot less.

Roadhawg
04-30-2012, 07:31 AM
I would have got U-verse but it's not available in my neighborhood so I stayed with Dish.

Bunty
04-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Isn't U-verse Internet service slower than Cox?

yukong
04-30-2012, 09:53 PM
Are the Thunder games carried in HD on Uverse? I cannot find Fox sports Oklahoma on their channel lineup.

kevinpate
05-01-2012, 04:18 AM
Are the Thunder games carried in HD on Uverse? I cannot find Fox sports Oklahoma on their channel lineup.

Slept through storms and such last night. But generally Fox Sports is in the 752 area and Fox Sports HD is in the 1754 area.

kevinpate
05-01-2012, 04:20 AM
Slept through storms and such last night. But generally Fox Sports is in the 752 area and Fox Sports HD is in the 1754 area.

added, several (all?) playoff games are being carried on TNT (uverse 108 and 109)

yukong
05-01-2012, 09:33 AM
But during the season...are the Thunder regular season games that are carried on Fox Sports Oklahoma in HD available on Uverse?

OSUPeterson
05-01-2012, 10:44 AM
I believe they are all carried. I was always able to catch more games across more sports on U-verse than the slection cox has.

You also get alot of the Fox Sports channels, not just Southwest.

Jim Kyle
05-01-2012, 11:51 AM
But during the season...are the Thunder regular season games that are carried on Fox Sports Oklahoma in HD available on Uverse?Take a look at http://www.titantv.com/ for complete listings of what U-Verse has to offer. I considered switching to it, from DirecTV, and did find the local Fox Sports Oklahoma listed (as FSSW Alternate) but it's not shown for the playoffs...

EDIT -- Another look shows that it did have Monday's game on 1754, but Thursday says "Off the air" so maybe they only carry the home games...

BoulderSooner
05-01-2012, 11:52 AM
I believe they are all carried. I was always able to catch more games across more sports on U-verse than the slection cox has.

You also get alot of the Fox Sports channels, not just Southwest.

live major leage sports NBA /MLB /NHL .. are blacked out outside of the home market ..

purpledice42
01-21-2014, 11:42 PM
I had Uverse in a town up north of Tulsa and IT ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wanna cry when I think of dealing with this crappy 150gb limit for God knows how long until ATT gets the fiber optic cables planted in this huge metropolis.
The internet only part of it is all you need unless you just like throwing money away. We had 20 dollar DISH welcome package which they let you stay on indefinitely, Uverse for 35 and Netflix for whatever it is and that was fabulous!
The bundling packages everyone offers are a crock unless and again you simply have money to burn.

Servicetech571
01-22-2014, 05:18 AM
I have Cox internet, no TV or Phone services. Not paying $100/mo to watch what is 95% Junk. The 5% I do want to watch I can get with an antenna or find online.

kelroy55
01-22-2014, 06:23 AM
I have Dish but I'm thinking of dropping them and just going with rabbit ears and the internet. I don't watch that many shows and the ones I do watch are mostly reruns of older shows. I have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon streaming so I don't think I'll miss out on much.

Servicetech571
01-22-2014, 08:20 PM
I have Dish but I'm thinking of dropping them and just going with rabbit ears and the internet. I don't watch that many shows and the ones I do watch are mostly reruns of older shows. I have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon streaming so I don't think I'll miss out on much.

It's hard to give up the convience of having it all in one remote. Once you get used to it you'll appreciate the extar $100 in your wallet every month.

zookeeper
01-22-2014, 08:42 PM

A membership to Netflix $7.99 a month
A membership to Amazon Prime: 79.99 per year
A memberships to Hulu+ = 7.99 month
A good TV antenna = 25.00

Total per month: about $24

That leaves you a lot to do with the extra $135 or so a month or over $1,600 a year!

Even if you have to buy season passes to your favorite network or cable shows, you come out way ahead.

There are many links for CNN. They go back and forth on streaming CNN International live from their site. But, CNN is always here. http://weplaylive.tv/live-news-stream/

sacolton
01-23-2014, 08:06 AM
AT&T UVerse only goes as high as 6 Mbps. Cox reaches 100 Mbps. I'll stick with Cox for now.

andrew3077
01-23-2014, 08:14 AM
My parents have U-Verse at their house and I have cox at my house. They'll both try and take as much money from you as possible and raise your prices every year. Their service and speed are comparable so if you're fed up with one just call in and threaten to cancel and see if that gets you a discount and if it doesn't, just go ahead and switch to the other.

Jim Kyle
01-23-2014, 08:17 AM
AT&T UVerse only goes as high as 6 Mbps. Cox reaches 100 Mbps. I'll stick with Cox for now.It's your call, but my Uverse installation is rated for 18 Mbps and actually syncs at 25. The extra 7 is reserved for HD TV use. The old AT&T DSL did max out at 6, but cost quite a bit more. I actually saved almost $150/month by switching from satellite to Uverse with their "triple play" package...

bchris02
01-23-2014, 08:28 AM
I'm not a fan of DSL, period. DSL providers used to be good at providing advertised speeds compared to cable but that isn't the case anymore. Technology has moved to the point that it can't keep up with today's cable modems. Telcos need to go fiber-to-the-premise or be left behind.

OKCretro
01-23-2014, 08:30 AM
only thing about UVErse and cox is that cox has mlb extra innings and Uverse does not. If you are into baseball or have a favorite team from far way, MLB extra innings is the way to go.

kevinpate
01-23-2014, 08:39 AM
I don't have any baseball packages. Valerian root is far more effective than any form of MLB for influencing long, restful naps. :)

SoonerDave
01-23-2014, 09:17 AM
I'm on the next-to-best Cox internet tier, 50mbps, and consistently "test out" at 60mbps , and I'm *extremely* pleased with that service.

I came as close to cutting the cable TV cord as I ever have last week, but Cox held onto me with a pretty nice 12-month discount. As a new Netflix subscriber, however, I'm realizing more and more that getting ESPN is becoming less and less valid as a rationale to keep the four-billion-channel-but-I-only-watch-six-of-them Cox stew.

Given how ATT/Uverse leverages their data signal to provide their service, and limits who can watch what where as a result, that's a technology limit I just don't want to fool with. And I think they'll do that until they can go straight fiber to the house, which isn't anytime soon.

Cox knows the long-term future of the cable TV model can't survive, but they're starting to hemorrhage customers, so they'll typically offer some kind of discount if you talk to their retention folks. May take a couple of calls, depending on the person you talk to...

kelroy55
01-23-2014, 10:04 AM
AT&T UVerse only goes as high as 6 Mbps. Cox reaches 100 Mbps. I'll stick with Cox for now.

I get 30Mbps with Charter, only cable in my area so I'm happy with that. One of the main reasons I keep dish/cable is for football in the Fall. I can get the shows I like off the net.

OklahomaNick
01-23-2014, 10:48 AM
I've been toying with the switch from Cox to U-verse idea for a while. I've played with several friends U-Verse, and there are a couple things I don't care for. I don't like the At&t remote or the fact that it does not light up in the dark. I don't like that there is not a clock on the At&t boxes like Cox.

I also get numerous disruptions in COX internet service. I come home from work and my wi-fi is knocked out and I have to reset everything.

At&t offered me a REALLY sweet deal right now. All their channels U-400 (including movies), Home DVR in 3 rooms, record 4 shows at once, and their highest tier internet for $120 per month and a $150 visa gift card. & installation is $50.

Currently I pay around $150 per month with COX: HD channels, Expanded sports pack, and no movie channels, home DVR in 2 rooms, record 2 shows at once, and 5 mb per sec. internet. All for $150!

It's a pretty sweet deal, but I have my reservations! Been with COX for a long time..

SoonerDave
01-23-2014, 11:08 AM
I also get numerous disruptions in COX internet service. I come home from work and my wi-fi is knocked out and I have to reset everything.

Wifi failures don't necessarily have anything to do with Cox. A flaky wireless router and/or interference on the WiFi channel(s) in use could all be part of a WiFi problem that wouldn't have anything to do with Cox (or any other ISP).