View Full Version : Blazers official announcement

Patrick
08-26-2004, 12:10 PM
Well, unfortunately my doubts were correct. The Blazers are not switching leagues, and they're not even seeking an affiliation. So what was the big announcement all about? Well, they're getting new jerseys and a new logo with the capitol dome on it. Hmm, I believe I finally came to that conclusion at the end of my unofficial anbnouncement last night.

Well, sadly, here's the story:

"Blazers changing look

They'll still be the Oklahoma City Blazers, but the city's Central Hockey League team won't have the same uniforms, colors or logo in 2004-05.
The Blazers will have a news conference today to unveil their new look, which is expected to include a rendering of the capitol dome.

Thus, today's news conference, billed by the team as "An Announcement of Capitol Proportions," will take place at the state capitol and include Gov. Brad Henry.

For the first time since the Blazers reformed in 1992, and for only the fourth time since 1965, the Blazers will overhaul their team colors and logos.

By Bob Hersom"

Diogenes
08-26-2004, 12:42 PM
What a buzz kill! :(

Patrick
08-26-2004, 12:47 PM
I think I would've been a little happier with the switch if we could've gotten an affiliation with the Washington Capitals of the NHL!!!! :) But what else should we expect from Mr. Minor League Lund?

By the way, I'll actually miss the old logo with the kockey puck and a blaze of fire behind it. Seems like that went better with "Blazers" than a capitol dome emblem. All that new emblem will make me think of is how dumb Keating was for spending some of our tax money and that dumb thing.

Patrick
08-26-2004, 01:01 PM
Here was an interesting post on te Balzer's message board. It's oh so true:

"Saw some of the guys at lunch and they were all wearing shirts with the new logo on them. It looks ok, but really don't know how it goes with the whole Blazers thing. I mean, what does the capital have to do with Blazers??? "

okcpulse
08-26-2004, 01:14 PM
Perhaps us Blazers fans should protest they way we did last time, but this time it's Lund. Was this his idea? I bet it is, and I am glad I bought a Blazers jersey last year! I feel bad for the team. The least they could have done was UPGRADE the logo! Make it look 21st Century, ya know!

Patrick
08-26-2004, 01:40 PM
I might hit the Blazers store tomorrow and see if they have any shirts with the old logos left. I'd like to have one!

mranderson
08-26-2004, 01:42 PM
THUD! :mad:

How boring. A logo change, and to one that has nothing to do with Blazers. This was the most idiotic pre announcment campaign I have ever heard. :mad:

All that, and all they did was say they are changing logos. That is something they could have easily done "on the fly." :mad:

A change in league, yes, pump the crowd. An affilate agreement. Yes pump the crowd. But not a change of logo. I might just boycott the team. :mad:

I can just hear the front office. "(sinister laugh) We got those @#$* ant people out there. Right where we want them! (another sinister laugh)"

Patrick
08-26-2004, 01:57 PM
I guess when Brad Lund said "this will be an announcement of capital proportions" or something like that, it was just all punnery! Personally, I don't think it's very funny!

swake
08-26-2004, 03:01 PM
If you’ve ever met the Lund’s, you’d know that they are very much of the belief that anything that they do is a huge deal worthy of a big press conference and people’s attention.

floater
08-26-2004, 05:38 PM
You wonder if it ties in at all with that Chamber of Commerce branding campaign "Capitol of the New Century"...

We're just victim to hype...

Luke
08-26-2004, 05:52 PM
The new logo is nice. And I really like the colors.

But the logo has nothing to do with "Blazers". It's a capital dome. What does that have to do with Blazers?

floater
08-26-2004, 06:02 PM
Well, it's connected to the Centennial. Nice idea, and the logo is pretty nice, but as Luke said, how does it jive with "Blazers"? They should've have had the dome on fire!!! ;)

Luke
08-26-2004, 06:47 PM
They should've have had the dome on fire!!! ;)

That would've gone over really well!

;)

okcstylez
08-26-2004, 07:06 PM
I think They look nice but Still i dont think it has anything to do with the Blazers name.

BLAZERS UNVEIL NEW LOOK FOR 2004-05
The Oklahoma City Blazers unveiled its new color scheme, logo and uniform design at a press conference today at the Oklahoma State Capitol in Oklahoma City.

Oklahoma Governor Brad Henry assisted Express Sports owner Robert A. Funk, and CEO Brad Lund, and returning Central Hockey League All-Stars Hardy Sauter and Tyler Fleck in the unveiling of the new logo.

The Blazers new logo features the dome that is affixed to Oklahoma’s Capitol. Prior to November 2002, the state of Oklahoma was one of a handful of states in the Union that did not feature a dome on its state Capitol. A popular misconception is that Oklahoma is unique because it was the only Capitol without a dome. The truth is there are over ten Capitols without domes, but Oklahoma was the only Capitol designed to have a dome that didn’t build it.

In 1999, the Oklahoma Capitol Complex and Centennial Commission were organized to develop a master plan to celebrate the Centennial of Oklahoma’s admission to statehood in 1907. By the year 2000, construction on the $21 million project was underway and on November 16, 2002, the state of Oklahoma officially had a dome adoring its state Capitol.

This marks the first major alteration to the team’s logo and color scheme since the re-birth of the franchise in 1992. The primary colors have changed from red, black, yellow and white, to a three-color design, featuring maroon, gold and white. The pants, helmets and gloves have changed from the dominant color of black, to the dominant color of maroon. The home uniform features the traditional white jersey, with maroon and gold accents, while the road uniform features the maroon color with gold accents.

The Oklahoma City Blazers will utilize the dome logo through the 2007-08 season to celebrate the state’s centennial in November 2007.

New merchandise featuring the Blazers' new dome logo is available online and at the Blazers office. The Blazers front office is also accepting pre-orders for jerseys. Expected delivery date is October 7.

Patrick
08-26-2004, 09:39 PM
I hope they go back to the old logo after the Centennial celebration. Although the new logo isn't bad, like everyone else has mentioned, it just doesn't fit. Like I said before, maybe we just should've changed our name to Oklahoma City Capitals, and affiliated ourselves with the Washington Capitals of the NHL.
Oh well, maybe by the time 2007 rolls around we'll have an NHL team in town and we can kiss Brad Lund good bye!

I know floater's idea kind of sounded funny depending on how you took it, but I thought it was a good idea.....we could've kept the old logo, only replaced the puck with the dome, and had a blaze of fire or ice come off the dome symbol. That at least would've fit better.

HOT ROD
08-27-2004, 10:59 PM
Looks like OKC was sold out again! Some press conference.

Let me down!!!