View Full Version : Hyundai & Kia

Pete
04-27-2012, 09:56 AM
Rather quietly Hyundai & Kia are collectively the 4th or 5th largest car sellers in the world.

Amazing considering that Hyundai started as a complete joke, selling incredibly cheap cars both in terms of price and quality. I remember seeing articles in the 80's about how people treated them as disposable in many ways.

But now, they've made Korea into the new Japan. Of course, I'm old enough to remember when Japanese cars were associated with being incredibly cheap and flimsy. Think about how much that has changed over a few decades!

And now, the Koreans seem to be beating the Japanese at their own game: lower prices with good quality and excellent design. They are also hitting American companies hard on their one primary advantage, which is lower sticker prices. And as the Japanese makers have become more and more conservative and even bland, their Korean counterparts seem to hitting all the right notes in terms of appealing style and features.

Who owns or has owned a Hyundai or Kia and what has been your experience?

I'm not currently in the market for a car but I have to admit I would at least consider one of these brands, and I never thought I would say that.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-27-2012, 10:02 AM
I've been in a couple of Hyundai cars that were pretty dang nice...And based on friends/relatives/coworkers with Kia...I'd say they've got a LONG road ahead of them to pull off a Hyundai-type move.

I'll probably never own either, as I'm a "NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT!!!" kind of moron.

soonerguru
04-27-2012, 10:05 AM
They are very nice cars, and they've forced Toyota to improve its game. The new Camry's are better designed and have higher MPG. The Hyundai Elantra is the car of the year this year and the Hyundai Sonata was last year's car of the year.

Pete
04-27-2012, 10:05 AM
Hyundai bought Kia out of bankruptcy a while back and I know they are slowly creating the distinction that Hyundai is more up-scale (oh the irony!) and that Kia is their value brand.

But the quality surveys indicate that even Kia is doing very well in this regard.

It seems the whole company is making continual, great strides.

soonerguru
04-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Hyundai bought Kia out of bankruptcy a while back and I know they are slowly creating the distinction that Hyundai is more up-scale (oh the irony!) and that Kia is their value brand.

But the quality surveys indicate that even Kia is doing very well in this regard.

And Hyundai has the best warranty in the car business right now.

BBatesokc
04-27-2012, 10:07 AM
I have had both over the years as extra cars. My mom currently has a loaded out Genesis coupe as her weekend car after trading in her Sonata.

I've really liked my Hyundia's and mom loves her's. They can't keep Elantra, Accent or Sonata's in stock locally.

I had a used Kia Sportage for awhile and it was fun as an extra car. Never driven one full time, so i don't know how reliable they are.

I would buy Hyundia over Kia IMO if I was looking for another full-time car though, between the two. I like their warranty and the quality seems to be there.

Personally though, I have fallen in love with the Infinity FX35 I bought my wife and will most likely look to get me one when the time comes.

Pete
04-27-2012, 10:08 AM
The Kia Optima is really sharp car... Just the other day one passed me and for the first time I really noticed it. Since, I've checked out the interior and it's very well-styled as well.

I've always loved Hondas but they have become soooo bland lately. I don't see much innovation coming from them; more resting on their laurels.

This is the Kia Optima:

http://uncrate.com/p/2010/04/2011-kia-optima-xl.jpg

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-27-2012, 10:14 AM

LMAO...Shows how much I've paid attention to Korean auto news :dizzy:

BBatesokc
04-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Maybe its just conditioning, but I have a hard time justifying $30,000 for a Kia when there are so many other well-proven options. But, yes, they do look good. I really like their Sorento.

MEvans
04-27-2012, 10:21 AM
I drive a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe with 128,000 miles. Never had one problem with it and I will buy another one. You can't beat their warranty.

Pete
04-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Brian, I think younger buyers don't necessarily have that same bias, mainly because they don't consider a manufacturer's history as much as their older counterparts. I have a real bias against Hyundai because of how they started in the U.S. and I've only recently started to let it go. But I bet most in their 20's only know the company by it's more recent products.

And you have to give them tremendous credit for rapid growth during one of the worst economies of the century.

Kia in particular has done a great job of marketing to the first-time new car buyers. Two of my nieces drive Kia's and love them.

What I really hope is that this added competition pushes the Japanese companies to become more aggressive. I still pull for the American companies but it seems they've already been leap-frogged in many ways with the possible exception of Ford who seems to be on a good roll.

BBatesokc
04-27-2012, 10:23 AM
I drive a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe with 128,000 miles. Never had one problem with it and I will buy another one. You can't beat their warranty.

Mother in law drives one of those too. Transmission went out and they did her better than fair at fixing it. I say the brand is rock solid, its some of the dealers that make them a pain.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-27-2012, 10:30 AM
Brian, I think younger buyers don't necessarily have that same bias, mainly because they don't consider a manufacturer's history as much as their older counterparts. I have a real bias against Hyundai because of how they started in the U.S. and I've only recently started to let it go. But I bet most in their 20's only know the company by it's more recent products.

And you have to give them tremendous credit for rapid growth during one of the worst economies of the century.

Kia in particular has done a great job of marketing to the first-time new car buyers. Two of my nieces drive Kia's and love them.

What I really hope is that this added competition pushes the Japanese companies to become more aggressive. I still pull for the American companies but it seems they've already been leap-frogged in many ways with the possible exception of Ford who seems to be on a good roll.

Go sit in a Buick Regal or even LaCrosse...Those cars are friggin' NICE. My wife says I should have to retire (long ways off) before pimping Buick...But if I were in the market for a nice and plush 4 door commuter, Buick would be my first stop. The new Malibu and Impala look pretty dang good too, but I haven't driven either of them.

Pete
04-27-2012, 10:31 AM
The warranty thing was a brilliant move because it removed a major marketing obstacle (quality) while at the same time their products have been improved to the point there probably hasn't been a big cost due to the longer-term assurances.

The ascension of this company has been truly miraculous, especially to those of us that have followed it from the beginning.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-27-2012, 10:31 AM
I take that back...A Cadillac CTS-V Wagon would be my FIRST choice. But I don't see me spending 70 grand on a car. Ever. I prefer my horsepower to be 1) LARGE and 2) cheap. :tiphat:

Maynard
04-27-2012, 10:34 AM
---
---
The ascension of this company has been truly miraculous, especially to those of us that have followed it from the beginning.

Very humble beginnings!

MvJ3vZ1Hd-w

BradR
04-27-2012, 10:36 AM
I've watched Hyundai grow over the last decade and their newest lineup of cars are nothing short of amazing for the price compared to many other brands. I've actually been eyeballing the Veloster. You can get one fully decked out with the navigation system and other options for around $24k which sounds crazy compared to some of the vehicles I drive for work that are nearly double that.

Pete
04-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Thanks for that ad!

I did some quick research and determined that these cars started at $4,995 when they were introduced in the U.S.; hence that commercial promoting the idea you could buy two of their cars for the price of their average competitor. And they sold tons of them.

The problem was there were soon thousands of them on the streets and they didn't hold up well.

Around the same time, Yugo came out with their $3,995 car but was nothing close to the Excel. It didn't last long.

Pete
04-27-2012, 10:43 AM
I've watched Hyundai grow over the last decade and their newest lineup of cars are nothing short of amazing for the price compared to many other brands. I've actually been eyeballing the Veloster. You can get one fully decked out with the navigation system and other options for around $24k which sounds crazy compared to some of the vehicles I drive for work that are nearly double that.

The Veloster is really sharp as well... Really all their products are very well designed.

The one remain criticism seems to be driving dynamics; in that they aren't as fun to drive as a Honda. And while Toyota has always endured the same criticism, at the same time quality has been their forte.

It seems Hyundai/Kia have really closed the quality gap and I bet we start to see them turn their attention to making their cars more spirited to drive. If that happens, the American and Japanese makers could see their market share further eroded.

Maynard
04-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks for that ad!

I did some quick research and determined that these cars started at $4,995 when they were introduced in the U.S.; hence that commercial promoting the idea you could buy two of their cars for the price of their average competitor. And they sold tons of them.

The problem was there were soon thousands of them on the streets and they didn't hold up well.

Around the same time, Yugo came out with their $3,995 car but was nothing close to the Excel. It didn't last long.

http://www.bambootrading.com/1800/1848.JPG

Had a neighbor that owned a 'sky blue' Excel. He was proud of it when he bought it -- though later on would say, "hey, at least it's not a Yugo!" hahaha.

BBatesokc
04-27-2012, 10:46 AM
That Hyunda looks a lot like a Lancia I once owned.

yukong
04-27-2012, 11:18 AM
I have a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited, and I love it. It has 25,000 miles on it and I have not had a lick of trouble. It is way good looking, and it drives and rides as good as anything I have driven in the past 3-5 years. Due to my job, I have to drive rentals a lot, and I have driven about 75 different cars over the past 5 years. From The Nissan Cube to a 2012 Suburban. And they have for the most part all been models that were the mid line models, not the base models. I have driven Sonatas and Elantras and they are as nice as the Hondas or Toyotas and Nissans. And the Santa Fe is to me as nice as the Ford Edge, Dodge Journey or Nissan Muranos. It isn't as nice as the Buick Enclave, but those are about $20,000 more. Not worth the difference to me. Hyundai has really improved over the past several years. And most of their offerings are now made in the USA. Mine was made in Alabama. I believe all of their US cars are made here. Mine has all the bells and whistles. It is very very nice. I'm more than pleased. And it didn't break the bank.

Just the facts
04-27-2012, 11:29 AM
I had a Hyundai Santa Fe (bought it the first day they were on the market). I drove it for 5 years and had very few problems but it had a 10 year 100,000 warranty so problems or not - I wasn't paying for it. I would consider a Hyundai again but my wife and I already agreed that new cars are too expensive and used cars are... well, there is a reason why the current owner traded them in, so our current cars are going to be with us for awhile.

BTW - check out the Equus. I am surprised Hyundai has not yet started a luxury division, but when they do good bye Cadillac, Lincoln, Infinity, and Lexus.

BBatesokc
04-27-2012, 11:39 AM
I had a Hyundai Santa Fe (bought it the first day they were on the market). I drove it for 5 years and had very few problems but it had a 10 year 100,000 warranty so problems or not - I wasn't paying for it. I would consider a Hyundai again but my wife and I already agreed that new cars are too expensive and used cars are... well, there is a reason why the current owner traded them in, so our current cars are going to be with us for awhile.

BTW - check out the Equus. I am surprised Hyundai has not yet started a luxury division, but when they do good bye Cadillac, Lincoln, Infinity, and Lexus.

Don't poo-poo used too quickly. All I buy is used (but not too used for my primary car - 3-4 years old) and I've never had a single issue and sold them for at least what i paid for them after two years.

I've got a Ford Edge SEL I'll be selling in about a month.

I rode in the Equus and I've gotta tell ya, I wasn't that impressed for the price. It was nice, but no nicer than a decked out Sonata for a lot cheaper (which is a great car). The only main exception being the back seats where way bigger with tons of leg room. The one we were in was loaded out and would set you back about $72,000 and was a custom order for a local customer.

I had a Santa Fe too for awhile. wish i would have kept it longer. The only 'dog' I owned was a 4cylinder Tucson - loud and slow.

kevinpate
04-27-2012, 01:41 PM
... The new Malibu and Impala look pretty dang good too, but I haven't driven either of them.

Peppy, easey peasy to get up and go when you need to. Only two gripes, and it impacts big/tall folk like me more than 98%+ of the population. Each can get a touch cramped, more so the Malibu than the Impala.

I've rented more vehicles in the past 14 months than I did in many years before due to out of state marriages, deaths, clear the cobwebs from the head trips and work trips. For overall comfort, a Mercury Gran Marquis (an unexpected upgrade that was greatly appreciated) for overall comfort. For just comfortable and downright pretty, a Jeep Liberty, a trade-up that was better than imagined. But for the best combo of leg room and value for a tall fluffy man, a bare bones Kia Forte that had a way better than expected sound system. I concede no one could really be comfortable sitting behind someone my height in that car, but for just 1-2 people, it was a delight.

kevinpate
04-27-2012, 01:50 PM
As for car jokes in the late 80's, the word of the day was simply ... YUGO. My second semester in Norman, a classmate I knew before moving to Norman came in all excited. His dad had just bought him a new car. We went out at break for him to show it off.

Was the most bare bones Yugo made. And bless his heart, somehow his window wipers were gone. I may have commented something to the effect that window wipers weren't generally considered optional equipment to be added later. And that's probably the kindest Yugo dig ever uttered by anyone.

Wishbone
04-29-2012, 08:33 AM
Hyundai/Kia are really good cars and are starting to get the respect they deserve. They are winning a lot of head to head comparisons in the car mags now. Hyundai/Kia actually just overtook Ford as the worlds 3rd largest auto maker. As for me I have an '09 Kia Optima EX V6 loaded with every option including leather, sunroof, nav, seat heaters, Infinity stereo and it has 55,000 trouble free miles on it. Best thing is I have 45,000 miles of warranty left!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/OUSooner/cars/Optima/DSC_0019.jpg

MadMonk
04-29-2012, 08:58 AM
I just made the first payment on my wife's 2010 Santa Fe. So far so good. Hyundai has come a long way. We looked at similar models of the Kia as well, but just like the Hyundai better. Interesting to note that the Hyundai is made in Alabama, but the Kia is still made in Korea.

My sister once owed an '80s model Excel. It wasn't the greatest, but it did last her 80,000 miles before the engine gave out (not bad for that era and that price). The fit and finish were not good though.

swilki
04-29-2012, 08:26 PM
For the past couple of years I have been driving a 2004 Acura TSX (great car), but I could see the writing on the wall and realized it was time to get out of it. So, after spending a couple of months looking at both old and new I settled on a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. I LOVE IT. No other car out there could combine the mpgs (I average 28-29 with mostly city driving and have hit 37 while driving to Dallas), quality build, bells and whistles (or course I got the push button start, nav, leather and sunroof), and warranty for the price that Hyundai did.

If you are out looking for something new or used, I highly suggest that you give Hyundai a shot. I asked around to a bunch of different people who own a Hyundai if they have had any problems, I have yet to hear back from anyone who said yes.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk28/s_wilki/417408_10100647019669287_9600629_51275536_51235069 9_n.jpg

NoOkie
04-30-2012, 08:35 AM
Interesting to note that the Hyundai is made in Alabama, but the Kia is still made in Korea.

Kia opened up a plant in West Point, GA a year or two ago. I'm not sure what models they make there, but some of them are made in the US now.

MadMonk
04-30-2012, 09:01 AM
Kia opened up a plant in West Point, GA a year or two ago. I'm not sure what models they make there, but some of them are made in the US now.
I'm just going off of what the salesman told me. Maybe he was referring only to the particular model we were looking at.

Just the facts
04-30-2012, 09:30 AM
I had a Jeep Liberty last week for a rental car and was surprised by the room (I am 6'3"). I thought it might be a viable alternative to my wife's Armada which is a gas guzzler. Then I found out the Liberty gets 1MPG better. So much for that idea.

BBatesokc
04-30-2012, 09:48 AM
I had a Jeep Liberty last week for a rental car and was surprised by the room (I am 6'3"). I thought it might be a viable alternative to my wife's Armada which is a gas guzzler. Then I found out the Liberty gets 1MPG better. So much for that idea.

Exactly why I sold my Jeep Liberty. It was the Renegade model and I thought surely its small enough it would get really good mileage - especially since it was only 2-wheel drive. No such luck. I think I averaged 14MPG city and 18/20MPG highway.

Bill Robertson
04-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Thanks for that ad!

Around the same time, Yugo came out with their $3,995 car but was nothing close to the Excel. It didn't last long.We had one of those first Excels. It was a pile. Trans and engine replaced before 30k miles and I'm a very conservative driver and anal about maintenance.

Exactly why I sold my Jeep Liberty. It was the Renegade model and I thought surely its small enough it would get really good mileage - especially since it was only 2-wheel drive. No such luck. I think I averaged 14MPG city and 18/20MPG highway. Leadfoot? LOL! We have a 2005 Liberty, 2WD, V6 and get 18/20 city and 24/26 highway.

BBatesokc
04-30-2012, 12:07 PM
We have a 2005 Liberty, 2WD, V6 and get 18/20 city and 24/26 highway.

I certainly don't drive optimally for good MPG, but I still found the consumption to be pitiful. I think it was a '07. It was a V6 with a towing and power package though and I'm sure that didn't help and it had the largest factory tires you can get from Jeep and still be considered stock - which lifted the Liberty maybe and inch or so. Also had the lights on top and cargo rack. None of that helped either.

I also find the MPG gauge in every car I've owned is wrong. I enter my gas with every fillip on my GasCubby app. My Edge says I'm getting 20MPG in town, but my app says 18.