View Full Version : Mavericks vs Thunder Round 1

Pages : [1] 2

SoonerBoy18
04-26-2012, 10:14 PM
This is going to be a hard fought 1st round series for the Thunder, and Dallas can definitly win this series. I dont think the officials will be so sensitive when it comes to fouling Dirk Nowitzki this time. I am predicting Thunder to win the series in Game 5. Anybody agree with me?

dankrutka
04-26-2012, 10:17 PM
I'm predicting THunder in 6 or 7.

ljbab728
04-26-2012, 10:26 PM
I agree. I think Dallas could easily win twice in Dallas and maybe once here.

Easy180
04-27-2012, 04:35 AM
May have to get through three old veteran teams to get to the finals...Gonna have to have Westbrook turn it around fast or we may be in trouble

BoulderSooner
04-27-2012, 06:52 AM
thunder in 5

BoulderSooner
04-27-2012, 06:53 AM
May have to get through three old veteran teams to get to the finals...Gonna have to have Westbrook turn it around fast or we may be in trouble

westbrook played one of his best games of the season on Wednesday

betts
04-27-2012, 06:57 AM
I think it's really difficult to predict what will happen. Granted, this month we've only beaten teams that aren't in the playoffs. But last month we easily handled Miami and Chicago. Mavs haven't been a problem this year either. So, we'll see which team we get - the talented, masterful team or the sloppy, inconsistent team - and how healthy Harden is. He's definitely key.

OSUMom
04-27-2012, 06:49 PM
I think it's really difficult to predict what will happen. Granted, this month we've only beaten teams that aren't in the playoffs. But last month we easily handled Miami and Chicago. Mavs haven't been a problem this year either. So, we'll see which team we get - the talented, masterful team or the sloppy, inconsistent team - and how healthy Harden is. He's definitely key.

Amen. It all depends on which team shows up to play.

ljbab728
04-28-2012, 10:20 PM
WOW. Talk about a great finish.

gurantula35
04-28-2012, 10:36 PM
F me!! that was a little too stressful.. but i'll take it!! great closeout boys..

ljbab728
04-28-2012, 10:39 PM
Absolutely. All that matters is the win. It doesn't matter how or by how much.

Spartan
04-28-2012, 10:47 PM
Why does nobody talk about turnovers? Not once have I ever seen controlling turnovers as being key for the Thunder. I might be wrong, but it seems like the huge red flag that people, even in the media, keep sweeping under the rug.

OSUMom
04-28-2012, 10:50 PM
I'll say it. The turnovers, plus letting the Mavs score so many threes were killing us.

ljbab728
04-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Why does nobody talk about turnovers? Not once have I ever seen controlling turnovers as being key for the Thunder. I might be wrong, but it seems like the huge red flag that people, even in the media, keep sweeping under the rug.

Spartan, I don't know where you've been but I hear that constantly. It's always being talked about as their Achille's heel.

As I said before though, it doesn't matter if they won by one point or fifty. It's all the same.

MDot
04-28-2012, 11:12 PM
Spartan, I don't know where you've been but I hear that constantly. It's always being talked about as their Achille's heel.

As I said before though, it doesn't matter if they won by one point or fifty. It's all the same.

Yeah, I hear it all the time as well. The Thunder can't be mentioned on ESPN, TNT or NBA TV without turnovers being brought up as their main weakness and how they really need to reduce them if they want to do much.

Easy180
04-29-2012, 08:01 AM
And Westbrook played well...Hopefully this takes a little out of the Mavs but I doubt it...This one looks like it is going 7

Just the facts
04-29-2012, 08:03 AM
The Mavs best chance to win a game was last night - and they didn't do it. OKC in 4. Durant isn't going to keep missing like he did last night and the Mavs aren't going to make as many 3s as they did lat night either. Dallas finished 45% from beyond 3pt and at one time it was around 75%. Jason Terry ended up 80% from 3pt land (he was 38% on the season). He can't do that again. Now the best that the Mavs can hope for is for the Thunder to beat themselves (which is always possible).

BTW - Harden was way off on his defense last night.

Beastboii
04-29-2012, 09:27 AM
Went to the game last night........wow

G.Walker
04-29-2012, 09:35 AM
All we need to do is contain J.Terry and we got this in the bag, he is our biggest problem. He shot 4-5 from 3pt. range, and scored 20pts. If we can cut this in half we will sweep them. The reason why I say J.Terry, because there is no stopping Dirk late in the game!

Spartan
04-29-2012, 11:01 AM
Spartan, I don't know where you've been but I hear that constantly.

Well, you do know where I've been, but fair enough. I'm glad to hear that..

Sean
04-29-2012, 12:23 PM
The Mavs best chance to win a game was last night - and they didn't do it. OKC in 4. Durant isn't going to keep missing like he did last night and the Mavs aren't going to make as many 3s as they did lat night either. Dallas finished 45% from beyond 3pt and at one time it was around 75%. Jason Terry ended up 80% from 3pt land (he was 38% on the season). He can't do that again. Now the best that the Mavs can hope for is for the Thunder to beat themselves (which is always possible).

BTW - Harden was way off on his defense last night.
Don't forget Ibaka went 9/12 for 22 points. That's not happening again either. Anyone who thinks this is going to be an easy series is kidding themselves. When's the last time OKC had an easy game vs Dallas?

SoonerBoy18
04-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Yesterday was my 1st Thunder playoff game and it was just amazing! But I that suspenseful feeling is horrible lol. Every body started high 5'ing each other, WE ARE ONE.

Kokopelli
04-29-2012, 01:36 PM
Great game. Loved it that the announcers were saying that Okc has the best atmoshere in the NBA.

Here is what Dirk Nowitzki and Rick Carlisle had to say about playing in Okc in a Dallas Morning News article.

"This is what you want," Dirk Nowitzki said. "This is one of the best atmospheres in the league. It almost feels like a college game, really. They're into the game from the jump. This is a place where you want to play playoff basketball."

Said Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle: "We like coming here because this is a great atmosphere. These are great fans. If you talk about competing at the highest level, this building is where you want to be."

For the full story here is the link, it is a very short story. http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2012/04/dirk-on-thunders-arena-this-is-a-place-w.html

MonkeesFan
04-29-2012, 03:02 PM
Great game. Loved it that the announcers were saying that Okc has the best atmoshere in the NBA.

Here is what Dirk Nowitzki and Rick Carlisle had to say about playing in Okc in a Dallas Morning News article.

"This is what you want," Dirk Nowitzki said. "This is one of the best atmospheres in the league. It almost feels like a college game, really. They're into the game from the jump. This is a place where you want to play playoff basketball."

Said Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle: "We like coming here because this is a great atmosphere. These are great fans. If you talk about competing at the highest level, this building is where you want to be."

For the full story here is the link, it is a very short story. http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2012/04/dirk-on-thunders-arena-this-is-a-place-w.html

Not a Thunder fan but that is pretty cool!

Just the facts
04-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Don't forget Ibaka went 9/12 for 22 points. That's not happening again either. Anyone who thinks this is going to be an easy series is kidding themselves. When's the last time OKC had an easy game vs Dallas?

Yes, but we don't need Ibaka to do that every night. We just need Durant to get his season averages. Durant was 10 for 27, way below average.

ljbab728
04-30-2012, 12:17 AM
And if we think we had a great finish look at this. I gave up paying attention to this game until I saw this score. This is astonishing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/clippers-rally-27-down-stun-042831257--nba.html

You just can't ever let up in the NBA.

ljbab728
04-30-2012, 10:34 PM
Well you would certainly have to say the the advertisers for the broadcasts are getting their money's worth. No one is going to be tuning out early.

Listening to the TNT analysts after the game I must have missed something. Did we win?

Barkley - "OKC is just not good enough". At least he's consistent.

Sean
04-30-2012, 11:02 PM
Well you would certainly have to say the the advertisers for the broadcasts are getting their money's worth. No one is going to be tuning out early.

Listening to the TNT analysts after the game I must have missed something. Did we win?

Barkley - "OKC is just not good enough". At least he's consistent.
Well I kinda agree with him. If the Thunder keep playing like this it will be very hard to beat a team like San Antonio.

ljbab728
04-30-2012, 11:13 PM
Well I kinda agree with him. If the Thunder keep playing like this it will be very hard to beat a team like San Antonio.

Sean, as I've said many times before, in the NBA a win is a win. It doesn't matter how they did it. Every team has flaws to exploit. OKC may not be good enough to win the championship this year. No one knows for sure at this point. I think we should just enjoy the ride as far as it goes and not always be looking for the negatives.

The television analysts are paid to be just that. They disect games and give their views. What they say or think has absolutely no effect on any game.

Sean
04-30-2012, 11:26 PM
Sean, as I've said many times before, in the NBA a win is a win. It doesn't matter how they did it. Every team has flaws to exploit. OKC may not be good enough to win the championship this year. No one knows for sure at this point. I think we should just enjoy the ride as far as it goes and not always be looking for the negatives.

The television analysts are paid to be just that. They disect games and give their views. What they say or think has absolutely no effect on any game.
Exactly, so why should we be complaining about what Barkley said?

Jake
04-30-2012, 11:37 PM
Durant seems to have been shut down so far this series. It's up to Westbrook, Harden, and the other guys to help win this thing. Important win tonight. Being up 2-0 is a great feeling.

ljbab728
04-30-2012, 11:50 PM
Exactly, so why should we be complaining about what Barkley said?

Where did I say I was complaining? I was just stating what was said and giving my view about it.

And when talking about what is said you have to love this quote by Scott Brooks about Rick Carlisle.

“He was a good roommate. He didn't snore,” said Brooks, who was roommates with Carlisle while playing for the CBA Albany Patroons. “That's all it takes, trust me. Buy me a (beer) every now and then and not snore and you're a perfect roommate. That's why I love my wife.

dankrutka
05-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Barkley's criticisms of the Thunder's weaknesses are spot on. If we continue to play this style of basketball then we'll be fortunate to win this series (I still think this series goes at least 6), much less any other. The Thunder have been playing mediocre basketball for a month now. If we played San Antonio tomorrow I think they'd sweep us. I really hope we can get back to moving the ball and playing more like a team...

G.Walker
05-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Barkley's criticisms of the Thunder's weaknesses are spot on. If we continue to play this style of basketball then we'll be fortunate to win this series (I still think this series goes at least 6), much less any other. The Thunder have been playing mediocre basketball for a month now. If we played San Antonio tomorrow I think they'd sweep us. I really hope we can get back to moving the ball and playing more like a team...

The Thunder are playing at their highest level right now. Its just that KD is in a slump right now, due to Shawn Marion's defense. Dallas just matches up with OKC really well. A great stat line is that the last 3 times they played have been decided by 4pts or fewer. What Barkley is failing to mention is we do have an inside game, Ibaka and Perkins have stepped up offensively as of late, its just getting them the ball is the issue. I am not worried about Dallas or Lakers, we definitely have the Lakers number, we should go 4-1 in both the Lakers/Mavs series, and make it to the WCF to lose to San Antonio 4-2.

SoonerBoy18
05-01-2012, 02:51 PM
The shirts were blue game 1, white game 2, PLEASE let the next color be Orange :)

G.Walker
05-01-2012, 02:54 PM
I also don't understand why people think Dallas should be a push over. Key players on their 2011 championship team are still there, Dirk, The Jet, Kidd, and Marion...to think they are just going to lay down is stupid. They are defending champs and Rick Carlisle is a good coach. I am happy with our play.

Spartan
05-01-2012, 08:36 PM
We've almost always played the Mavs close, and that has been irrespective of where the game is played. I think we have a budding rivalry that is significantly heated.

ljbab728
05-02-2012, 12:21 AM
An interesting comment by Denver coach, George Karl about playing the Lakers in the Staples Center.

[QUOTE]"This is not a hot building. It's kind of a stage. It's a Broadway stage," Karl said before the Nuggets took on the Lakers in Game 2 of their first-round Western Conference playoff series on Tuesday. "It has a history and an energy to it, but it's not one of those where you can't hear or sometimes you're afraid to feel (the opposing crowd). This is more of a stage than an intense building like Oklahoma City (has) or something like that."[QUOTE]

Matt
05-02-2012, 12:51 AM
An interesting comment by Denver coach, George Karl about playing the Lakers in the Staples Center.

"This is not a hot building. It's kind of a stage. It's a Broadway stage," Karl said before the Nuggets took on the Lakers in Game 2 of their first-round Western Conference playoff series on Tuesday. "It has a history and an energy to it, but it's not one of those where you can't hear or sometimes you're afraid to feel (the opposing crowd). This is more of a stage than an intense building like Oklahoma City (has) or something like that."

Save it for the Round 2 thread. None of this has anything to do with Mavericks vs. Thunder, Round 1.

BoulderSooner
05-02-2012, 08:24 AM
Save it for the Round 2 thread. None of this has anything to do with Mavericks vs. Thunder, Round 1.

it was about our building ..

Bellaboo
05-02-2012, 08:34 AM

Most NBA arena's are kind of dead compared to ours. Especially during the regular season.

adaniel
05-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Most NBA arena's are kind of dead compared to ours. Especially during the regular season.

On a related note, here's a video from Dallas's ABC affiliate before game 2.

Mavs must quiet wild OKC crowd in Game 2 (http://www.wfaa.com/video?id=149575845&sec=553032)

ljbab728
05-02-2012, 09:03 PM

Exactly right, Boulder. And the last time I checked our building is involved in round 1.

Matt
05-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Exactly right, Boulder. And the last time I checked our building is involved in round 1.

Nope. That comment still has nothing to do with the Thunder or the Mavericks, and everything to do with George Karl just being George Karl and doing anything he can to try to get in the heads of the Lakers and their fanbase.

Now if you were to start a Nuggets vs Lakers Round 1 thread and post it in there, that I could get on board with.

ljbab728
05-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Nope. That comment still has nothing to do with the Thunder or the Mavericks, and everything to do with George Karl just being George Karl and doing anything he can to try to get in the heads of the Lakers and their fanbase.

Now if you were to start a Nuggets vs Lakers Round 1 thread and post it in there, that I could get on board with.

Well, Matt. Let's just say that you and I disagree then. I think the post was relevant and believe it is in the appropriate place.

Matt
05-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Well, Matt. Let's just say that you and I disagree then. I think the post was relevant and believe it is in the appropriate place.

Fair enough.

Tell me, what effect do you think Denver head coach George Karl's comments will have on Games 3 and 4 of the Mavericks/Thunder series?

ljbab728
05-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Fair enough.

Tell me, what effect do you think Denver head coach George Karl's comments will have on Games 3 and 4 of the Mavericks/Thunder series?

Absolutely none. So tell me, what effect do you think anything else posted in this thread will have on that game? It's actually acceptible to have posts that give observations about things without directly affecting something.

Matt
05-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Absolutely none.

Thank you.

ljbab728
05-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Thank you.

You're welcome.

Matt
05-02-2012, 11:30 PM
You're welcome.

:tiphat:

SoonerBoy18
05-03-2012, 04:57 PM
The Mavs are having a blue out tonight, did they get this idea from Thunder?

kevinpate
05-03-2012, 05:54 PM

I thought they got it from a small trio out Vegas way

Jersey Boss
05-03-2012, 08:29 PM

Looks like this goofiness started in college fb.http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2008-09-25-pooches_N.htm

stlokc
05-03-2012, 08:51 PM
So they're playing in Dallas and Dallas is wearing white and the whole crowd gets blue shirts that match the blue the Thunder is wearing? Is this vaguely disorienting or is it just me?

ljbab728
05-03-2012, 10:11 PM
While nothing is assured yet, I think you can put a fork in the Mavericks. What would be great now for the Thunder is to finish it in four games to possibly let the players get a little extra rest before the start of the second round.

OSUMom
05-03-2012, 10:33 PM
So they're playing in Dallas and Dallas is wearing white and the whole crowd gets blue shirts that match the blue the Thunder is wearing? Is this vaguely disorienting or is it just me?

That's how game one here was, only in reverse. I was happy to see white shirts for game two. I think we need to stick with white shirts again if it comes back here.

Matt
05-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Looks like this goofiness started in college fb.http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2008-09-25-pooches_N.htm

According to Wikipedia, it actually dates back about ten years earlier than that, with Calgary's "C of Red" and the Winnipeg White Out in the NHL. I think the first time I ever heard of it was with Penn State football, though.

Matt
05-03-2012, 10:56 PM
I thought they got it from a small trio out Vegas way

Speaking of which, pretty sure I saw this guy in the stands tonight:

http://i.imgur.com/Gce9o.jpg

Snowman
05-03-2012, 11:53 PM

Possibly we have two of the most welcoming crowds, making the other team feel at home. (in hindsight maybe we want them to feel at home)

Sean
05-03-2012, 11:57 PM
According to Wikipedia, it actually dates back about ten years earlier than that, with Calgary's "C of Red" and the Winnipeg White Out in the NHL. I think the first time I ever heard of it was with Penn State football, though.
As far as the NBA goes, I remember Miami doing a white-out back when they won the title in 2006. It certainly isn't anything new.