View Full Version : Airport construction update

Pete
04-29-2005, 10:44 AM
Just received this message from a friend (can't substantiate any of this but he wrote the message from inside the airport while waiting for a plane) and thought some of you might appreciate the news, since the bloody airport website hasn't been updated in months:

- Passenger pickup tunnel is now open. This is the street right in front of the flight arrival luggage carousels that's been closed for construction the past 2 years.

- Delta's check-in counter has temporarily moved over ot the west side next to Northwest

- SOUTHWEST HAS MOVED TO THEIR NEW GATES!!! They now own the gates closest to the entrance (huge news for Southwest for winning those. They just did this in Pittsburgh too and take a lot of pride in getting the gates closest to the security checkpoints).

- The mini food court has opened. Schlotzky's, Sbarro's, Sonic are all now located just east of the Southwest gates.

- A second bar has opened near the Southwest gates. This one is cool b/c it has this room connected to it called "The Mohogony Lounge." Some good chairs and sofas to do some laptop work and relax. They currently have 6 flatscreen TVs in there. The second room of the lounge looks like it's gonna open soon as well, with more couches and TVs.

- "The Big XII Store." All things Big 12. There's a section of apparel for every single school in the conference. I've never imaged of seeing Baylor apparel sitting in a local shop. But lo and behold, there it is. All things are 20% off inside that store for the next week or so.

- Delta's new gates are almost ready. They've moved the ticket agent counters over to the new wing at gates 11 and 12. I'm guessing they'll have their new gates by the beginning of next week. Oddly, I also think they're cutting down from 3 gates to 2 as I don't see a third one with their name on it anywhere.

- America West will begin flights into OKC Friday May 6th. This will give OKC 3 more flights to Phoenix and 3 more flights to Vegas DAILY. This includes a Vegas departure from OKC at 11:40PM and a Vegas arrival into OKC at 3:15AM!!! So for all you gamblers, a great opportunity to squeeze every hour out of Sin City before flying home. I'm guessing they'll be at the far west corner in gate 1.

- Looks like the new luggage carousel for Delta, United, and AA will be open within the week. This means those baggage pickup areas that looked like garages will FINALLY be closed forever. Those things just give the first timers in OKC a bad taste in their mouths.

- The courtyard outside looks like it'll be open within the month. They're pouring concrete for the walkways this morning.

mranderson
04-29-2005, 10:57 AM
As many of you know, I am flying to California on May 28, using America West. If I can, I will take a series of shots of the new terminal and the America West area, and include them in my gallery upon my return... This along with a progress report.

Improvements maybe. However, not big enough.

Pete
04-29-2005, 11:04 AM
Mr. Anderson, I'd greatly appreciate any photos you could share.

It's absolutely absurd that this board does a much better job of providing such updates than our full-time airport Marketing Director.

Karried
04-29-2005, 12:50 PM
http://www.flyokc.com/willrogerssite/building/current.html

Here are some pics from the website,not sure how current they are - I think we should all email today - right now - and ask when we can expect an update on this website?

How many out of town clients and visitors check this site to get updates on their flights or to get terminal info? This is probably the first intro to OK that many will have. We should have more updates other than June of 2004 on the Current Construction page! In fact, I think I'll just cut and paste the above into a message to the Marketing Director Karen Carney.

For general comments or questions:
karen.carney@okc.gov (karen.carney@okc.gov)

Pete
04-29-2005, 01:03 PM
Those pictures are about 10 months old.

I wrote to Karen about 8 months ago and she promised an update in the near future. A few weeks ago, I followed up with her because nothing had ever been done -- forwarding her previous email with the promise -- and never heard back.

They haven't even updated the site with the press release they did a month ago about the new arrivals curb being open. The site still instructs people to use the transporation plaza.

I know of a couple of good webmasters that would do work on that site for free, in exchange just for a reference. I made this offer to Karen and she did not even bother to respond to my email.

And I agree, the airport website is a waste of a efficient communication and marketing tool and an emabassment to OKC.

Karried
04-29-2005, 02:02 PM
Those pictures are about 10 months old.

I wrote to Karen about 8 months ago and she promised an update in the near future. A few weeks ago, I followed up with her because nothing had ever been done -- forwarding her previous email with the promise -- and never heard back.

Well, you know the saying 'the squeaky wheel gets the grease" or something to that effect..

Let's all try again and call and email, it should take less than 2 minutes and don't you think she will take notice if all of us here on this board start writing, say everyday, until it get's updated?

I wrote to her that I would share her response with others so maybe that will prompt her to respond - if so, I'll share it here.

:gossip:

Pete
04-29-2005, 02:15 PM
Good job, Karrie.

I think she's written me off as some crackpot from California. :)

Hopefully she'll bother to respond to you or others.

ErnieBall
04-29-2005, 02:21 PM
I just kicked out an email to her. Here's the text:

Ms. Carney,

As I visited the WRWA website today looking for flight information, I couldn’t help but notice how terribly out of date the information concerning current construction at the airport has become. As someone who travels somewhat regularly, I know that businesspeople and tourists alike visit airport websites expecting to find current information about flights, services, and construction so they may better plan their trips. I find it disappointing that my own airport hasn’t taken the time and effort to keep its website up-to-date. I feel that this reflects poorly on WRWA and its attitude towards visitors and citizens of Oklahoma City. I sincerely hope that a better effort can be made in the future to update what is an important public resource and valuable symbol of our airport.

Respectfully,

(Name)
(Corporation)

Karried
04-29-2005, 03:23 PM
Awesome letter ErnieBall ! MalibuSooner, give it one more shot - please... I think she will certainly get the hint - I'm from Northern California so she probably thinks I'm a CA crackpot as well, but since I now reside in OK - she might take me seriously.

Pete
04-29-2005, 03:26 PM
I'll send her another one.

It would also be helpful to know who Karen reports to, as they should be copied.

mranderson
04-29-2005, 03:31 PM
I'll send her another one.

It would also be helpful to know who Karen reports to, as they should be copied.

I would send it to Luther Trent, Will Rogers airport director, plus the mayor, and the city council members.

Karried
04-29-2005, 03:53 PM
Do you have that contact info MrAnderson?

Oklahoma City Department of Airports
7100 Terminal Drive
Box 937
Oklahoma City, OK 73159-0937

Luther Trent, Director of Airports

405 680-3322
Fax: 405 680-3211

I can't locate his email yet.....

Keith
04-29-2005, 07:53 PM
Do you have that contact info MrAnderson?

Oklahoma City Department of Airports
7100 Terminal Drive
Box 937
Oklahoma City, OK 73159-0937

Luther Trent, Director of Airports

405 680-3322
Fax: 405 680-3211

I can't locate his email yet.....
luther.trent@okc.gov

Patrick
04-29-2005, 11:35 PM
I'll also send both Luther and Karen and email. Hopefuly we can flood them both with emails demanding the pics be updated on the site. Might also sneak a request in there that the East Concourse be completed! :)

HKG_Flyer1
05-01-2005, 10:29 PM
Although I just recently signed up for this board and intended my first post to be somewhat more "meaty," I have to chime in on the airport website as well.

Although some people (perhaps airport management included), may think that no one really scans through all the links on a website, I have (and I don't even live in Oklahoma City!). It quickly became apparent that parts of the website were outdated... particularly the construction reporting. If anything, the airport trust should be crowing about this as well as the opening of new, high quality concession operators.

Patrick
05-01-2005, 11:33 PM
Hey HKG_Flyer1! First off, welcome to OKC Talk. We're happy to have you here. We'd love to have you help us rally and try to get Karen Carney and company to do a better job updating the airport website. I hope you'll consider sending her an email. The more emails we can send her, the more our voice will be heard. Sure, an airport website is nowhere near as important as the expansion project, or anything like that, but it still reflects an image of our city to outsiders.

ErnieBall
05-02-2005, 06:24 AM
Here's the response I got from Karen:

Mr. X,

I do apologize for not having more updated info on the site. You are absolutely right. Some of the problem is a technical issue and the rest is my fault.

Regarding the technical issue: as I was reviewing the site over the weekend, I found many pages that had been updated recently that had reverted to old files. Our IT department has been working on updating and improving security for the City servers and had evidently used an old backup, thus reinstating some old files.

As far as some of the maps and photos, that is my fault. Unfortunately, I do not have an assistant or anyone that I can dedicate to the site and it is not a simple process to update. However, that is getting ready to change. We are planning to unveil a totally new site this week. One of the advantages of it will be new software that will make it much easier to update and pretty much instantaneously.

I do appreciate your comments and hopefully, you will see a much improved site by the end of this week.

Thank you.

Karen Carney

Karried
05-02-2005, 08:09 AM
I got the same exact response so at least there should be some improvements in the near future.

Maybe in some small ways we can make a difference!

mranderson
05-02-2005, 08:13 AM
I got the same exact response so at least there should be some improvements in the near future.

With the track record of the airport trust and some others, I would not hold my breath.

ErnieBall
05-02-2005, 09:02 AM
Well, at least we got a response.

Pete
05-02-2005, 10:23 AM
As mentioned previously, Karen sent a similar message to me EIGHT MONTHS AGO after I brought all this to her attention. Then, when I recently sent her another message, she didn't even bother to respond.

I also offered the services of a couple of excellent webmasters who would work on the site for free, in exchange for a reference.

I hope Karen delivers on her promise this time around but it still really bothers me that this situation has become this bad in the first place.

Good night, the airport is spending $110 million on upgrades and they can't even promote it on their own website? To me, this is a symptom of much bigger issues that have been alluded to many times on this board.

metro
05-02-2005, 11:05 AM
I sent both Karen and her boss the email. Has anyone received a response yet?

Patrick
05-02-2005, 11:50 PM
I sent both Karen and her boss the email. Has anyone received a response yet?

I haven't heard anything back yet, but a few others have. Check out the posts above. metro, hopefully Karen will take the time to reply to our emails and provide better explanations.

okcpulse
05-02-2005, 11:57 PM
Karen is getting snowballed. I haven't received my response yet. Maybe this is a wake-up call. Imagine that!

Patrick
05-02-2005, 11:58 PM
Karen is getting snowballed. I haven't received my response yet. Maybe this is a wake-up call. Imagine that!

Exactly what she needs. Maybe she'll get the picture and finally take the website off the back burner.

If you haven't sent her an email yet, send her one. There's a sample email on the first page of this thread. Feel free to use it.

metro
05-03-2005, 10:03 AM
Use it, but customize it a little so we are not like her and sending a form letter. Make sure to copy her boss also. I encourage you to send her a reply after she sends you her auto-reply saying how concerned you are that she is sending a form letter and it is posted all over websites and message boards and that it does not reflect well on the airport "trust". I finally receive the "form-letter" response back from her today. She totally butchered my name back in the reply.

Mr.xxxxxx,

I do apologize for some of the information that is not totally up to date on the site.

I did discover that several items that had been updated recently had reverted to old files. Our IT department has been working on updating and improving security for the City servers and had evidently used an old backup, thus reinstating some old files.

As far as some of the other info, I take responsibility. Although all of the terminal maps that reflect the airlines moves and changes are accurate, as is airline, parking, transportation and rental car information. We are working diligently on getting all of the construction highlights updated and plan to unveil a totally new site this week. One of the advantages of the new site will be the ability to make changes much more easily and quickly.

I do appreciate your comments and hopefully, you will see a much improved site by the end of this week.

Karen Carney

Patrick
05-03-2005, 05:37 PM
I actually didn't use the form letter given above, and she still sent me a form letter, same as yours. I had actually asked her about the East Concourse in my email. No response. I think it's obvious she sent out a form letter and probably didn't even bother to read my email.

Here's the response I received:

"Mr. xxxxx,

I do apologize for some of the information that is not totally up to date on the site.

I did discover that several items that had been updated recently had reverted to old files. Our IT department has been working on updating and improving security for the City servers and had evidently used an old backup, thus reinstating some old files.

As far as some of the other info, I take responsibility. All of the terminal maps that reflect the airlines moves and changes are accurate, as is airline, parking, transportation and rental car information. We are working diligently on getting all of the construction highlights updated and plan to unveil a totally new site this week. One of the advantages of the new site will be the ability to make changes much more easily and quickly.

Karen Carney"

Patrick
05-03-2005, 05:40 PM
I think I'll send her another email and see if she can comment on the East Concourse, mainly when construction will start on it, if ever! I can already predict her response...it will probably be something like, "it will start whenever we see the need."

mranderson
05-03-2005, 05:43 PM
I think I'll send her another email and see if she can comment on the East Concourse, mainly when construction will start on it, if ever! I can already predict her response...it will probably be something like, "it will start whenever we see the need."

There once was aon optomitrist in Oklahoma City, who had a practise named C. Good Optical.

These people at Will Rogers need to think about that.

Patrick
05-03-2005, 05:46 PM
There once was aon optomitrist in Oklahoma City, who had a practise named C. Good Optical.

These people at Will Rogers need to think about that.

It probably wouldn't help any...knowing the folks at WRWA, they'd probably get the eye prescription off, and they'd be worse off than when they started! lol!

HKG_Flyer1
05-03-2005, 08:36 PM
I'm impressed that you were able to get a response. Although it seems like the Airport Trust is moving in the right direction, I think it pays to remain vigilant, given the Trust's longstanding record of mediocrity and ineptitude (a legacy of lousiness). For those of you who have been around awhile:

1) WRWA was one of the last major airports in the United States to install baggage carousels... for years after baggage carousels had become the standard throughout the developed world, WRWA's baggage delivery system featured bags simply shoved through an open garage-type door onto an angled stainless steel delivery platform.

2) Similarly, WRWA was one of the last major airports in the U.S. (actually, the entire developed world) to install video flight information monitors.

3) Finally, WRWA had what was arguably one of the worst food concession offerings of any major airport. Remember the filthy, smoky "restaurant" near the security entrance to the old western wing of the airport. (This, in particular, was something I regularly heard derogatory remarks about on flights departing OKC.)

Occasionally, I would write in to complain... but never heard back from the seemingly unaccountable folks at the Airport Trust, Trent included (and I was, at the time, writing as an executive of a money center New York bank).

On a positive note, the airport now seems to be on a roll. The new terminal looks great... one of the best looking facilities in a medium size U.S. city, IMHO. To her credit, Karen Carney was the first (and only) person from the Airport Trust who ever bothered to answer my correspondence. I think she's well intentioned... and I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt with respect to the updating of the website.

P.S. I just happened on this website at random, but am rapidly becoming addicted.

OUman
05-03-2005, 08:59 PM
I agree, the new terminal's looking great. If only they would build that east concourse.

OUman

Patrick
05-04-2005, 01:31 AM
P.S. I just happened on this website at random, but am rapidly becoming addicted.

Hey HKG_Flyer1, we're really happy to have you here. Feel free to sticvk around and join us in discussing the issues. Just to set the record straight, we're blessed to have VIP's reading our site like our mayor, Steve Lackmeyer, Carl Sullivan, Kim Searls, Dave Lopez, etc. So, you're voice is being heard here.

Thanks for your detailed info. on WRWA. Glad to hear our Airport Trust is finally bringing the airport out of the stone age, but there is still more work to be done, and the trust needs to think bigger.

Pete
05-04-2005, 10:21 AM
HKG, I remember all too well the bagge claim "shove it out and let everyone scramble" arrangement. It was horrifying to encounter, especially after having traveled to other airports, any of which were exponentially better.

As a very frequent traveler, I know that an airport is usually the first impression for visitors and thus very important to the identity of any city. If a city can't get that right, it tells you a lot about their relative sophistication and priorities.

I'm really look forward to seeing WRWA when I visit in the fall. Hopefully, I won't have to wait until then to see some of the progress.

mranderson
05-04-2005, 10:24 AM
HKG, I remember all too well the bagge claim "shove it out and let everyone scramble" arrangement. It was horrifying to encounter, especially after having traveled to other airports, any of which were exponentially better.

As a very frequent traveler, I know that an airport is usually the first impression for visitors and thus very important to the identity of any city. If a city can't get that right, it tells you a lot about their relative sophistication and priorities.

I'm really look forward to seeing WRWA when I visit in the fall. Hopefully, I won't have to wait until then to see some of the progress.

The one area where I defend Will Rogers is this... It could be worse. Bob Hope-Burbank Airport has (or had) baggage carousels outside. Rain or shine. Hot or cold. No ceiling, no walls, outside.

Pete
05-04-2005, 10:33 AM
Mr Anderson, the outdoor baggage claim at Burbank is covered.

Anyway, it's always sunny and 70 here! :)

mranderson
05-04-2005, 11:14 AM
Mr Anderson, the outdoor baggage claim at Burbank is covered.

Anyway, it's always sunny and 70 here! :)

It has been several years since I flew in there, so, I thought it may have been since then. Sunny and 70 always? Hum. It was raining when I flew into Burbank.