View Full Version : Gas drive offs

Keith
08-26-2004, 06:14 AM
Well, we all know that since gas has gone up so much that we would have a problem with drivers pumping gas, and then leaving without paying.

This morning they reported that a driver (in another city) had put $25.00 worth of gas in his van and was ready to drive off. The attendant came out to remind the driver that he hadn't paid for his gas yet, and the driver puuled out a gun and stuck it to the attendants head. The attendant backed off and was ok. He tried to get the license number of the van, but the driver had covered it up.

Every day, thousands of gas stations/convenience stores, lose money due to gas drive offs. Since many people use convenient stores to fill up, they want the convenience of pumping first, and then paying. Most people are honest and will pay, however, you still have the few who like to steal.

Personally, I always pay at the pump with my credit card. I always pay by credit card and then pay the bill each month. Many will not go to a station where you have to pay first, then pump. Mainly because that takes the convenience out of the picture.

What do you think? Do you think all stations should go to pay first, then pump? Or, should they leave it like it is, and take a chance on having more drive off's?

suzi
08-26-2004, 07:56 AM
I think they should ALL be pay first because this would eliminate the drive offs and not put the workers in jeopardy. I say, if you can't pay for your gas, ride the bus!

mranderson
08-26-2004, 08:34 AM
I pay at the pump. In fact, if a place does not have the equipment for pay at the pump, I will not use their services.

For those who do not believe in credit or debit cards... First. Change your attitude. Then, pay at the pump.

For those who think gasoline is free. The automakers could develop an electric eye that shuts down the electrical system until the gasoline is paid and the driver keys a code into a keypad on the dash. If they do not pay, they do not get the code. If they do not want a recipt, they would be required to go inside or the pay window to get the code. Cameras could photograph the vehicles license number for refrence. To access the pump, the driver would be required to enter his or her drivers license number unless they use a credit or debit card. The information would automatically be sent to the police dispatch via the stations alarm company. The police could have the vehicle detained before an officer arrives at the scene of the crime... Yes. Crime. With pictures of the car, license, driver, and data from the pump, the drive off offender would not stand a chance. Plus the electric eye would ensure the vehicle stayed put until payment was made.

THAT would solve the problem. :D

Keith
08-26-2004, 08:59 AM
I am like MrAnderson.......If it is not a "pay at the pump" station, then I will not stop. Living on the south side of OKC, there are places that I go regularly to buy gas, so I very seldom have to go inside the store....unless the pump doesn't print me a receipt.

I also agree with suzi. If they made all the customers pay before they pump, then the gas drive off's would never happen. It may irritate some people, but that's life. In the good ole days, nobody ever worried about gas drive off's because people were more honest. My, how things have changed.

Patrick
08-26-2004, 02:08 PM
I don't realyl see what difference it makes whether you pay before you pump or pay after you pump.....you still have to go inside and pay, so the convenience excuse isn't really a good one! Like you guys have said, if you want convenience, then pay at the pump with your credit card. Not only is it more convenient at the time you're pumping, but it's more convenient when you pay for it....because you can pay it all at once instead of having to pay individually each time you fill up.

For everyone else that doesn't use credit cards or gas cards, I say, go with a pay before you pump approach. It will solve the whole problem.

I think that people that get irritated by the pay first approach don't make a whole lot of sense, for the reason I listed above....you have to go in and pay regardless of when you do it.

mranderson
08-26-2004, 02:24 PM
Think about it, Patrick. If you pay BEFORE you pump the gas, can you rip it off?

Patrick
08-26-2004, 02:41 PM
LOL....I guess all I have to say to myself is...well duh! :)

~~*DarlingDiva*~~
08-26-2004, 04:12 PM
Lol you guys crack me up!I am one of those that gets a little pissy about this,if Im in a hurry and I dont really know how much I want to put in or how much I want to spend lol I get cranky.Yes I realize you have to pay inside one way or the other I just dont want to go in twice.You know i guess it really doesnt matter because I have a new Nissan Xterra and I should know by now to just cram$20 in each time no matter what its a dam Beast. Anyways theres my 3 cents. :D

Benny5028
02-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Hi

This is my 1st post. I work in a gas station. we changed to Pay 1st last summer along most everyone else around here. It is just not pump and run, there also the i forgot my wallet, pay with $500 winning scratch ticket at 3am crowd also.

Ben

Patrick
02-19-2008, 06:38 PM
Paying before you pump eliminates all of the above. Also, posting requirements about not being able to accept bills larger than $20 or $50 helps too. That way people can't come up with excuses not to pay. They have to pre-pay.

FRISKY
02-19-2008, 10:25 PM
I keep track of the gas mileage and fill the tank when I go to the gas station. (32-gallon tank.) It is very inconvenient to "just get it close to full" at the stations that make you pay first.

Patrick
02-20-2008, 11:07 AM
If you pay at the pump with credit card, it eliminates having to pay first and estimate the amount.

oneforone
02-20-2008, 12:17 PM
7-11 and some of the other stations have started a registration card program for people that do not have credit cards or prefer to use cash instead of a debit card.

You put the card in the pump and then pay afterwards. The card program gives 7-11 all the info they need to prosecute in the event they do drive off without paying.

Patrick
02-20-2008, 02:40 PM
At 7-11, you can also use prepaid gift cards at the pump.

Redskin 70
02-26-2008, 05:47 AM
I pay with the card at the pump and dont worry about it.
Gas theft is very serious and station attendents have been killed for a lot less than the cost of a fillup.

RoboNerd
03-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Unfortunately, the situation is only going to get worse as the prices continue to rise.

As for myself, I don't stop at any station that doesn't have pay-at-the-pump, if only to avoid the choking cloud of cheap cigarette fumes that seem to be inside every gas station's convenience store.