View Full Version : Killing Bamboo

venture
04-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Does anyone have a trick on getting rid of bamboo? It should up a couple of years ago - should have pulled it all out then. However I was like this is kinda neat in this part of the garden in the backyard. Heh...stupid me. Now I have it popping up in the middle of the yard. Any tips on how to get rid of it relatively easily (and cheaply)...well short of finding someone with a backhoe to take one scrape and rip it all out. LOL

silvergrove
04-18-2012, 10:36 AM
What kind of bamboo is it?? Maybe I'll take a clump (of the ones you don't kill, if you can dig up a small clump that is).

To kill it, get some gardening shears and cut the canes relatively close to the ground (~3-6 inches). Spray the exposed wounds immediately (within 15-30 seconds) with an herbicide, as this will help kill the rhizome in the ground. After that, monitor the area for the rest of the season and prune any new shoots that come up. Eventually, the rhizomes will expend their energy and the bamboo should die.

ThomPaine
04-18-2012, 01:15 PM
What kind of bamboo is it?? Maybe I'll take a clump (of the ones you don't kill, if you can dig up a small clump that is).

To kill it, get some gardening shears and cut the canes relatively close to the ground (~3-6 inches). Spray the exposed wounds immediately (within 15-30 seconds) with an herbicide, as this will help kill the rhizome in the ground. After that, monitor the area for the rest of the season and prune any new shoots that come up. Eventually, the rhizomes will expend their energy and the bamboo should die.

Perfect advice. I love bamboo, and my current planting is well contained, but I still monitor it closely in the spring. Another thing you need to look out for is your neighbors. If it is planted close to a fence/property line, make sure your neighbors are aware, and they can monitor as well.

Midtowner
04-18-2012, 02:07 PM
And watch out for Asians trespassing in your yard to steal it. A couple years ago, we caught some Asian fellow in my grandmother's back yard cutting her bamboo. We'd have been within our rights to blow him away. Sneaking around some octogenarian's back yard with a sharp knife and a grocery sack doesn't exactly send the message that you're harmless.

ThomPaine
04-18-2012, 02:34 PM
And watch out for Asians trespassing in your yard to steal it. A couple years ago, we caught some Asian fellow in my grandmother's back yard cutting her bamboo. We'd have been within our rights to blow him away. Sneaking around some octogenarian's back yard with a sharp knife and a grocery sack doesn't exactly send the message that you're harmless.

Wow! I've never had that problem, and you can see mine from pretty far away. I have not tried it, but supposedly you can harvest the young (tender) shoots for cooking. Maybe next spring...

silvergrove
04-18-2012, 04:29 PM

What the hell?? It's edible? I didn't know these bamboos are the same bamboos that are consumed in Asia. I thought these were just decorative.

ThomPaine
04-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Same stuff: "Bamboo shoots are young, new canes that are harvested for food before they are two weeks old or one-foot tall. Bamboo shoots are crisp and tender, comparable to asparagus, with a flavor similar to corn. They are used frequently in Asian cuisine. Commercially canned bamboo shoots are common, but fresh, locally grown bamboo has far better flavor and texture."

Washington State University

Roadhawg
04-19-2012, 08:46 AM
Bamboo might be cheaper than a privacy fence

RadicalModerate
04-19-2012, 08:52 AM
Have you thought about getting a couple of Giant Pandas?

onthestrip
04-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Advertise on craigslist that you have bamboo for sale. Im not sure you will have any buyers but I have seen people selling 4x4 sections of bamboo from their yard on craigslist before.

It definitely can be a nuisance if not maintained. Hell, I guess maintaining it is a nuisance as well. It will send out runners like bermuda grass and thats why you can get a shoot popping up 15 feet away from the rest of them. Ive used a pick axe to pry up the runners and the base clumps, not too difficult if the ground is moist. And you need to be aware if its near a fence line. You could have it going into a neighbors yard who might not be a fan of bamboo.

I do love bamboo, and as someone mentioned it can make a good privacy barrier. However its probably best planted in some kind of planter that will restrict it from growing outward.