View Full Version : Oklahoma to get new department store

mranderson
04-29-2005, 07:39 AM
Channel Oklahoma.com is reporting that the merger of Federated department stores and May, will, in all likelyhood result in Foley's leaving the market and Macy's entering the market. This should take place no later than 2006.

Better name, better quality.

ibda12u
04-29-2005, 08:30 AM
How's the cost? I never really shopped at Foley's, but I heard my wife mentioning Macy's is pricer than Foley's.

Luke
04-29-2005, 09:31 AM
Isn't there a Foley's at Crossroads? Macy's and Crossroads don't mix, in my opinion. Penn Square and Macy's does.

Federated should drop Foley's at Crossroads and sell it to Wal-Mart. Surely a Wal-Mart "mall" venture would be a huge success in OKC and even moreso at Crossroads.

;)

mranderson
04-29-2005, 09:53 AM
Isn't there a Foley's at Crossroads? Macy's and Crossroads don't mix, in my opinion. Penn Square and Macy's does.

Federated should drop Foley's at Crossroads and sell it to Wal-Mart. Surely a Wal-Mart "mall" venture would be a huge success in OKC and even moreso at Crossroads.

;)

There are a lot of wealthy people on the southside, plus others who shop medium to high end stores. So, Macy's in Crossroads DOES fit. Plus, Wal-Mart has the supercenter about two miles west of the mall. They would be too close together.

Patrick
04-29-2005, 10:57 PM
I agree with Luke about Crossroads. Obviously the south side has the wealth to support a Macy's, but I don't believe Crossroads is the place. I'd love to see an upscale development similar to Spring Creek Plaza spring up in southwest OKC.

asta2
05-02-2005, 09:41 AM
I just spent the day at Macy's in Dallas this weekend. It would be a great addition to OKC. I don't think it's that pricey. They have higher end brands but their house brand is very reasonable and their sales are great. It's basically a Dillards and Foley's combined. Pretty much the same price point. I would love to see Nordstroms here too. I could invision Crossroads redone to handle some of the nicer stores. It would definately need a face lift.

Midtowner
05-02-2005, 04:20 PM
I foresee that the Macy's brand will just be watered down. I don't expect the product offerings to differ much. The Crossroads store, I imagine, if it isn't closed won't change much as far as their product line. I think Penn Square will probably get an upgrade to their line -- they could even become the high-end anchor that Penn Square really needs.

windowphobe
05-02-2005, 05:44 PM
And of the high-lux places, Saks is on a downward slide these days, Nordstrom's hasn't expressed any interest, and Neiman Marcus just got bought out.

metro
05-04-2005, 07:24 PM
why is this a new post? this was already discussed late last year. the announcement is not new news and is not even a finalized deal yet although I'm positive it will finizalize and we will see a macy's by christmas 2006

Midtowner
05-04-2005, 10:24 PM
Metro wins the award for having the best memory of anyone on okctalk. Congratulations.

Patrick
05-05-2005, 01:29 AM
I agree with Midtowner. I don't think the new Macy's stores willb e anymore upscale than the current Foley's....instead we'll get a watered down Macy's.

I have a feeling Macy's will differentiate their stores based on location.

Will a Macy's locate at Crossroads? That remains to be seen.

metro
05-05-2005, 08:40 AM
Woo-hoo, I get the best memory award! Midtowner, I'll be expecting a little certificate like the kids get when they learn to count to 7. No, I just didnt understand why we reposted a topic already discussed, it goes to show again how out of touch the media is here in OKC, this story was already released late last year and they are just now covering it??? What happened to the other two news stations who didnt even bring it up?? Way to go OKC media yet again.

mranderson
05-05-2005, 08:53 AM
Personally, I had not read any previous reports that May would convert the Oklahoma Foley stores to Macy. THAT is why I started this thread.

The announcment of the conversion was not made until the day I started this thread. In addition, how many people read the archives of threads?

Midtowner
05-05-2005, 08:54 AM
The OKC media, and TV news reporters in general are pretty lazy. They rely too much on press releases and the Public Information Officers of whatever Police Department to provide them with stories.

The utter crap that they run on the nightly news is pointless. In my opinion, all of the news directors in the OKC market need to be fired.

Once upon a time, we used to have reporters that would investigate things, file freedom of information requests, do detective work, etc. Now, stations have cut down to skeleton crews and have really no staff to pursue things for any more than 4-5 hours per story.