View Full Version : Crazy light sentence for Norman man who molested autistic boy

BBatesokc
04-15-2012, 08:42 PM
I find it so crazy that cases and sentences like this exist, especially in a state that will throw a woman in prison for years without a second thought for simple drug crimes.

Earlier this month Teddy Dean Davis, 27, pled guilty in Cleveland County to sexually molesting a 6-year old autistic boy.

As horrific as that fact alone is, how the molestation came-to-be is even more head-shaking..... Apparently the autistic boy's father, Jonathan Mark Smith, 38, placed an ad on Craigslist for oral sex. When Davis responded online and then in person to Smith's Moore home, Smith allowed Davis to molest his own son while he watch and masturbated.

While Smith's final day in court (http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/GetCaseInformation.asp?submitted=true&viewtype=caseGeneral&casemasterID=2096717&db=Cleveland) may be many months away, Davis pled guilty and was sentenced on April 4th.

Even though Smith has a lengthy DOC record (http://docapp065p.doc.state.ok.us/servlet/page?_pageid=394&_dad=portal30&_schema=PORTAL30&doc_num=423088&offender_book_id=236798), and his crime was horrendous, he was only sentenced to 2 years in prison (http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/GetCaseInformation.asp?submitted=true&viewtype=caseGeneral&casemasterID=2096718&db=Cleveland).

ShiroiHikari
04-15-2012, 08:54 PM
That's terrible. : (

kevinpate
04-16-2012, 04:24 AM
There was more involved than a two year prison sentence, but yes, there is two to do on the front end, less credit for time served. He was also given 8 years suspended, with DOC supervision for the full term of the sentence. Page two of the Information was dismissed by the State.

Don't know the case details, so the following is merely speculation. As the case involves pervs Davis & Smith (father of the 6 year old) and an autistic 6 year old victim, it is possible Davis has a significant role to fulfill in the upcoming proceedings against Smith. At least that's what the sentence and dismissal of the second page suggests to me.

BBatesokc
04-16-2012, 05:30 AM
Anything besides prison is pretty much immaterial to me when it comes to this sort of criminal and his debt to society and the public's safety.

ABryant
04-16-2012, 05:40 AM
Light sentences for people who are likely to repeat their crimes. Long sentences for stupid people who do one really publicly deplorable crime, with small chance of a repeat. American justice.

Roadhawg
04-16-2012, 06:59 AM
Got to save room in the prisons for those folks who smoke a joint.

BBatesokc
02-07-2014, 12:17 PM
Updating this story - as the injustice simply breaks my heart. The rapist was released from prison this week - after only 75-weeks.

Cleveland County; Craigslist child molester serves only 75-weeks in prison for abusing autistic 6yr old » JohnTV (http://johntv.com/teddy-davis-released-2014/)

Dennis Heaton
02-07-2014, 12:29 PM
OCIS Case Summary for CF-2011-999- State of Oklahoma v. Davis, Teddy Dean (Cleveland County District Courts) (http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/GetCaseInformation.asp?submitted=true&viewtype=caseGeneral&casemasterID=2096718&db=Cleveland)

Offender Lookup - Detail (http://docapp065p.doc.state.ok.us/servlet/page?_pageid=394&_dad=portal30&_schema=PORTAL30&doc_num=423088&offender_book_id=236798)

kelroy55
02-07-2014, 12:53 PM
About like the case down here when the teen that killed 4 people in a DUI got probation. :(

Dennis Heaton
02-07-2014, 12:58 PM
I could not find this guy on the Sex Offender Registry. How long is it going to take the State to add him?

BBatesokc
02-07-2014, 01:17 PM
I can't even find that the victim's father is even in DOC custody.

kevinpate
02-07-2014, 02:12 PM
I can't even find that the victim's father is even in DOC custody.

Odd. Former clients who are streeted and serving suspended sentences, or even those on deferred status but supervised by DOC, show up. Even death row inmates who have been executed will show up in the lookup system (albeit listed as inactive.) Not sure why someone who is supposed to be actively confined would not show.

Soonerman
02-07-2014, 02:15 PM
About like the case down here when the teen that killed 4 people in a DUI got probation. :(

Unfortunately $$$$ talks and his folks were loaded from what I read.

Garin
02-07-2014, 02:20 PM
Child molesters are the lowest form and do't deserve a second opportunity at freedom or life in general IMO.

Dennis Heaton
02-07-2014, 02:49 PM

kelroy55...do you have a link?

kelroy55
02-08-2014, 08:40 AM
kelroy55...do you have a link?

Probation for Teen Who Killed 4 in Crash and Other Shocking Court Decisions - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/US/probation-teen-killed-crash-shocking-court-decisions/story?id=21177843)

http://rt.com/usa/affluenza-drink-driving-prison-879/

BBatesokc
02-08-2014, 09:46 AM
Odd. Former clients who are streeted and serving suspended sentences, or even those on deferred status but supervised by DOC, show up. Even death row inmates who have been executed will show up in the lookup system (albeit listed as inactive.) Not sure why someone who is supposed to be actively confined would not show.

I know its weird. I may have to make some calls on Monday and see if I can located the dad in DOC.

Dennis Heaton
02-08-2014, 09:54 AM
kelroy55...Thanks. That was sad, on soooooooooooooooooo many levels!

MustangGT
02-08-2014, 10:28 AM
Child molesters are the lowest form and do't deserve a second opportunity at freedom or life in general IMO.

Agreed.

Bunty
02-08-2014, 11:32 AM

In my opinion, Oklahomans feel that pot peddlers are even a lower form of life, since that woman who sold pot has to spend somewhat longer time in prison, in large part because it's believed it's even worse to sell pot in front of your children over being involved in molesting any.

Prunepicker
02-08-2014, 10:28 PM
read the next post.

Prunepicker
02-08-2014, 10:31 PM
Child molesters are the lowest form and do't deserve a second opportunity at
freedom or life in general IMO.
I believe he should be given a 1 month sentence in a federal prison with no
protection from the prison population. The prison population should also
be informed of his crime.

That should do it.

BBatesokc
02-09-2014, 03:42 AM
In my opinion, Oklahomans feel that pot peddlers are even a lower form of life, since that woman who sold pot has to spend somewhat longer time in prison, in large part because it's believed it's even worse to sell pot in front of your children over being involved in molesting any.

There's also the life sentence Oklahoma County Judge Ray Elliot gave to the perpetual shoplifter - LIFE. (it was later amended, but still she is serving way too much time)

ThomPaine
02-09-2014, 05:43 AM
Probation for Teen Who Killed 4 in Crash and Other Shocking Court Decisions - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/US/probation-teen-killed-crash-shocking-court-decisions/story?id=21177843)

Texas ?affluenza? teen who killed 4 in drunk driving avoids prison again ? RT USA (http://rt.com/usa/affluenza-drink-driving-prison-879/)

The teenager who killed four people in a drunk-driving incident escaped jail for a second time and was sent to a rehabilitation center. His defense used the ‘affluenza’ strategy, insisting his privileged upbringing made the teen reckless.

‘Affluenza’, commonly viewed as selfish, immature behavior caused by a consumerist upbringing, is not recognized by the American Psychiatric Association as an official illness or diagnosis. The term – a portmanteau of ‘affluence’ and’ influenza’ – was coined in the 1970s and once again garnered attention in the mid-noughties, with psychologist Oliver James releasing a book on the subject.

At the first hearings held in December, sixteen-year-old Ethan Couch’s defense called in a psychologist as a witness. The psychologist testified that Couch’s parents used him as a weapon against each other and that the teen’s emotional age was close to 12.

“He never learned that sometimes you don’t get your way,” psychologist Gary Miller claimed at that stage. “He had the cars and he had the money. He had freedoms that no young man would be able to handle.”

WTF?!?!? Sounds like a defense of Uday and Qusay Hussein... I hope we, as a society, don't accept this BS.

kevinpate
02-09-2014, 07:46 AM
ThomPaine, surely you are only feigning surprise.

Society has widely accepted similar rationales over time. GLB (good looking boy/babe) has excused more behavior than most will ever care to even contemplate, let alone admit. Quite a bit of it, if accomplished by someone who is not GLB, ends in more serious charges and punishment.

Race and socio economics do factor in as well ... quite a bit. However, even within any particular race, a GLB will often fare better than one who is not.

Throw an M on the front for any race (M being for Money of course) and the effect is typically magnified.

This is not a product of the 80's, 90's, or this century. It's pretty much as old as mankind first establishing societal pecking orders.

ThomPaine
02-09-2014, 08:35 AM

Society has widely accepted similar rationales over time. GLB (good looking boy/babe) has excused more behavior than most will ever care to even contemplate, let alone admit. Quite a bit of it, if accomplished by someone who is not GLB, ends in more serious charges and punishment.

Race and socio economics do factor in as well ... quite a bit. However, even within any particular race, a GLB will often fare better than one who is not.

Throw an M on the front for any race (M being for Money of course) and the effect is typically magnified.

This is not a product of the 80's, 90's, or this century. It's pretty much as old as mankind first establishing societal pecking orders.

Maybe I'm just disgusted by the fact that they've actually come up with a 'name' and are blatantly claiming it as a defense.

Bunty
02-09-2014, 10:44 AM
My theory goes that in the past illegal drug use was associated with a lot of death, child molesters less so. Therefore more public outrage has been directed against illegal drug users leading them to spending more time in prison in at least some cases. Seems like I vaguely remember during the 1980s a lot of sensational drugs stories about people dying from overdosing on cocaine and other drugs, addicts holding people up and sometimes killing them, and lots of murderous gang warfare. In passing new laws, the Oklahoma Legislature lumped in marijuana as bad as any of the other illegal drugs.

hoya
02-09-2014, 11:00 AM
It was an agreed plea. The DA and the defendant came to that sentence through negotiation. What that tells me is that the DA did not have a lot of faith in his or her ability to get a conviction if it went to trial.

BBatesokc
02-09-2014, 01:44 PM
It was an agreed plea. The DA and the defendant came to that sentence through negotiation. What that tells me is that the DA did not have a lot of faith in his or her ability to get a conviction if it went to trial.

As someone who follows the criminal justice system very closely I'd have to strongly disagree. 99% (literally) of criminal cases end in a plea agreement. That has virtually nothing to do with a prosecutor's thoughts of whether or not the state would win at trial - its simply a matter of getting a case off their desk and it going down as a 'win' for the DA's office.

Prosecutors know that virtually nobody follows these cases nor says anything about this conclusion.

In this case all parties involved made full confessions and did not even put up much of a fight. Its all in the publicly available court records - records the public every rarely actually shows any interest in - which is a shame.

Exhibit A: Courts: Plea deals benefit taxpayers, lawyers say<br>Most cases never reach trial | News OK (http://newsok.com/courts-plea-deals-benefit-taxpayers-lawyers-saybrmost-cases-never-reach-trial/article/2890000)

hoya
02-09-2014, 09:19 PM
As someone who follows the criminal justice system very closely I'd have to strongly disagree. 99% (literally) of criminal cases end in a plea agreement. That has virtually nothing to do with a prosecutor's thoughts of whether or not the state would win at trial - its simply a matter of getting a case off their desk and it going down as a 'win' for the DA's office.

Prosecutors know that virtually nobody follows these cases nor says anything about this conclusion.

In this case all parties involved made full confessions and did not even put up much of a fight. Its all in the publicly available court records - records the public every rarely actually shows any interest in - which is a shame.

Exhibit A: Courts: Plea deals benefit taxpayers, lawyers say<br>Most cases never reach trial | News OK (http://newsok.com/courts-plea-deals-benefit-taxpayers-lawyers-saybrmost-cases-never-reach-trial/article/2890000)

As a person who is going to be starting a murder trial in a little less than 11 hours, you're entitled to your opinion, but deals like the one above generally happen when the prosecutor sees his case falling apart.

BBatesokc
02-10-2014, 04:10 AM
As a person who is going to be starting a murder trial in a little less than 11 hours, you're entitled to your opinion, but deals like the one above generally happen when the prosecutor sees his case falling apart.

So....... prosecutors don't trust their cases 99% of the time - because that the percentage that end in plea deals. I can list an endless stream of cases that ended in head shockingly light sentences and many (if not most) either had solid evidence to back up the prosecution - or the fact the defendant faced decades in prison if convicted should have assured they would have taken a stiffer plea if forced to do so.

In this case they had a confession and emails and phone records.

I can rattle off six people in the last couple of years who pleaded guilty to Human Trafficking and got 0-16 months in jail only. Yet the law said they were facing 20 years.

I made an accusation against Oklahoma County prosecutors not charging influential people and popular fellow lawyers after they were caught in prostitution stings. The DA called me on it and asked me to name names. I gave him my list and he said he'd get back with me. Its been months now and he refuses to answer the very question in which he asked me to back up. Why? Because I don't make accusations I'm not confident in (at least based on what evidence I have available). None of the cases against these men were any weaker than any other prostitution case. The difference is these men are wealthy and or well liked/connected.

I watched a judge let a felon gangbanger walk with only probation after he blind pled and admitted to the judge that he stood in front of a man's home and fired multiple rounds into the man's vehicle in an attempt to get him to come outside. When the judge asked him what he would have done if the guy came out - the gang banger said he'd have killed him.

Judge let him turn around and walk out the door. Had nothing to do with a weak case. Had everything with the judge's bias towards prosecutors who asked for this defendant to get more time than his co-defendant (around 15 years if I remember correctly).

Then there's the two OCPD officer's who committed the drive-by shooting outside Night Trips. The DA said "If these off-duty officers want to conduct themselves that way, that’s exactly how we’ll treat them — just like any other gangbanger...."

However, they weren't treated anything like gangbangers. They basically were simply required to leave OCPD. Even got to keep their CLEET and benefits and could work for another police department. One went and bought into an ice cream franchise in Bricktown. There was a mountain of evidence against them. Yet, they were allowed to walk.

As a lawyer surely you realize justice and a good case often have little to do with the outcome of criminal charges.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion - but I think the actual record and history weighs pretty heavy in this. But, based on our own perspectives of the criminal justice system our own bias's play a part as well.

kelroy55
02-10-2014, 06:56 AM

Are you saying that the prosecutor had a strong case but chose to agree with a crazy light sentence for this case?

BBatesokc
02-10-2014, 07:09 AM
Are you saying that the prosecutor had a strong case but chose to agree with a crazy light sentence for this case?

Absolutely - and its not that rare at all.

Bunty
02-10-2014, 10:28 AM
Surely, more people than just Alex Jones, who think criminals are running government.

hoya
02-10-2014, 12:13 PM
So....... prosecutors don't trust their cases 99% of the time - because that the percentage that end in plea deals. I can list an endless stream of cases that ended in head shockingly light sentences and many (if not most) either had solid evidence to back up the prosecution - or the fact the defendant faced decades in prison if convicted should have assured they would have taken a stiffer plea if forced to do so.

In this case they had a confession and emails and phone records.

I can rattle off six people in the last couple of years who pleaded guilty to Human Trafficking and got 0-16 months in jail only. Yet the law said they were facing 20 years.

I made an accusation against Oklahoma County prosecutors not charging influential people and popular fellow lawyers after they were caught in prostitution stings. The DA called me on it and asked me to name names. I gave him my list and he said he'd get back with me. Its been months now and he refuses to answer the very question in which he asked me to back up. Why? Because I don't make accusations I'm not confident in (at least based on what evidence I have available). None of the cases against these men were any weaker than any other prostitution case. The difference is these men are wealthy and or well liked/connected.

I watched a judge let a felon gangbanger walk with only probation after he blind pled and admitted to the judge that he stood in front of a man's home and fired multiple rounds into the man's vehicle in an attempt to get him to come outside. When the judge asked him what he would have done if the guy came out - the gang banger said he'd have killed him.

Judge let him turn around and walk out the door. Had nothing to do with a weak case. Had everything with the judge's bias towards prosecutors who asked for this defendant to get more time than his co-defendant (around 15 years if I remember correctly).

Then there's the two OCPD officer's who committed the drive-by shooting outside Night Trips. The DA said "If these off-duty officers want to conduct themselves that way, that’s exactly how we’ll treat them — just like any other gangbanger...."

However, they weren't treated anything like gangbangers. They basically were simply required to leave OCPD. Even got to keep their CLEET and benefits and could work for another police department. One went and bought into an ice cream franchise in Bricktown. There was a mountain of evidence against them. Yet, they were allowed to walk.

As a lawyer surely you realize justice and a good case often have little to do with the outcome of criminal charges.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion - but I think the actual record and history weighs pretty heavy in this. But, based on our own perspectives of the criminal justice system our own bias's play a part as well.

There's a world of difference between an average plea deal and one of these "sweetheart" plea deals. Generally the length of the sentence is directly related to the strength of the case.

BBatesokc
02-10-2014, 04:43 PM
There's a world of difference between an average plea deal and one of these "sweetheart" plea deals. Generally the length of the sentence is directly related to the strength of the case.

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more.

All the examples I gave above were "sweetheart" pleas - and all very prosecutable. At the very least they are all cases strong enough to warrant stiffer please.

Another example, Edmond man was caught by OKC Vice and the FBI prostituting a pregnant 15 year old (16 when the arrest went down) in Edmond. He even prostituted her to disgraced Oklahoman reporter Zeke Campfield. The guy pleaded guilty to Human Trafficking - his sentence: 9-months of in-custody RID (are you kidding me? For selling someone's pregnant 15 year old?) There was nothing weak about the case and she could have claimed she was 100% consensual - wouldn't have mattered, she's only 15/16.

Stew
02-10-2014, 04:48 PM

All the examples I gave above were "sweetheart" pleas - and all very prosecutable. At the very least they are all cases strong enough to warrant stiffer please.

Another example, Edmond man was caught by OKC Vice and the FBI prostituting a pregnant 15 year old (16 when the arrest went down) in Edmond. He even prostituted her to disgraced Oklahoman reporter Zeke Campfield. The guy pleaded guilty to Human Trafficking - his sentence: 9-months of in-custody RID (are you kidding me? For selling someone's pregnant 15 year old?) There was nothing weak about the case and she could have claimed she was 100% consensual - wouldn't have mattered, she's only 15/16.

You should run for DA. You got my vote.

hoya
02-10-2014, 07:03 PM

Human Trafficking is not listed in Title 57 Section 571, the section that defines statutorily violent crimes in Oklahoma. As a result, if the person is between the ages of 18 and 21, they are required to attend the RID program. That's no "sweetheart deal", there's no discretion. That's the law.

positano
02-10-2014, 08:48 PM
Absolutely - and its not that rare at all.

I don't think you can say that with any confidence. I think you and Hoya are both correct - plea deals are generally struck in an effort to keep the system moving, but don't think for a minute that the strength of the case isn't one of the considerations in most cases. I'm at a disadvantage on this particular case because I don't know the facts, but I wouldn't assume you know all of the relevant facts just from reading the publicly available pleadings. An index crime during an upcoming election cycle? You can bet they didn't give that away easily.

Prunepicker
02-10-2014, 10:28 PM
He'll continue to feign until someone tells him what to think. His posts have
certainly provided the evidence necessary to come to that conclusion.

In the meantime socioeconomics won't matter a hill of beans to someone who
doesn't understand them.

Most psuedo-pro Liberty people, (psuedo-pro Liberty means those who act
like they embrace Liberty buy don't) don't understand economic or Liberty. It's
only a cute attempt to make themselves appear to not be leftists. tp doesn't
embrace Liberty. In fact he's opposed to it at any cost.

Bunty
02-11-2014, 06:12 PM
Meanwhile, getting back on topic:

Craigslist Predator Out Probation, Fails Register Sex Offender - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/24697490/craigslist-predator-out-on-probation-fails-to-register-as-sex-offender)

ljbab728
02-11-2014, 10:15 PM
He'll continue to feign until someone tells him what to think. His posts have
certainly provided the evidence necessary to come to that conclusion.

In the meantime socioeconomics won't matter a hill of beans to someone who
doesn't understand them.

Most psuedo-pro Liberty people, (psuedo-pro Liberty means those who act
like they embrace Liberty buy don't) don't understand economic or Liberty. It's
only a cute attempt to make themselves appear to not be leftists. tp doesn't
embrace Liberty. In fact he's opposed to it at any cost.

Although this is certainly off topic also, do you have anything to add besides attacking another poster?

BBatesokc
02-12-2014, 07:59 AM
Meanwhile, getting back on topic:

Craigslist Predator Out Probation, Fails Register Sex Offender - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/24697490/craigslist-predator-out-on-probation-fails-to-register-as-sex-offender)

Yet, people want to believe he got a slap on the wrist because the case was weak. If you can't make a case from a explicit craigslist post, confession and explicit emails then you probably shouldn't be a prosecutor.

Bunty
02-12-2014, 08:39 AM
Yet, people want to believe he got a slap on the wrist because the case was weak. If you can't make a case from a explicit craigslist post, confession and explicit emails then you probably shouldn't be a prosecutor.

If only he got the child high on an illegal drug and the child ended up in the emergency room, maybe he would still be in prison.

Bunty
02-13-2014, 02:21 PM
In Ohio, it was believed wrong to so much as charge a cop for masturbating with a pre-teen boy: Masturbating: Ohio Highway Patrol Trooper Won't Be Charged | TIME.com (http://nation.time.com/2014/01/22/cop-not-prosecuted-for-masturbating-with-pre-teen-boy/?iid=obinsite)

Prunepicker
02-15-2014, 05:26 PM
Maybe he's going to be outed while in prison. That would certainly make
things better. Most criminals hate sex offenders and know how to deal
with them properly.

Bunty
02-15-2014, 06:41 PM
It's too bad the author of http://bubbaworld.com quit doing it after 10 years. He would have brought this story up. He claimed he moved to Oklahoma, because he couldn't believe the strange stories coming out of Oklahoma and had to come see and believe for himself.

BBatesokc
05-22-2014, 06:58 AM
UPDATE: Teddy Dean Davis was released after only serving 75-weeks in prison for raping a 6-year-old autistic child while the father watched and masturbated.

He's only been out a couple of months and there has already been a motion to revoke filed because he was still accessing the Internet, was in possession of porn, using drugs and other violations.

And, of course he was given a bond and walked right back out of jail. If ever he was going to reoffend, it would be now - as he knows he's probably going back to prison.

Child rapist set free by D.A. Greg Mashburn, reoffends and is allowed bond » JohnTV (http://johntv.com/teddy-dean-davis-child-rapist-reoffends-2014/)

hoya
05-22-2014, 08:41 AM
He's entitled to a bond unless the state complies with the requirements of Brill v Gurich, 1998 OK CR 49. One of the factors in Brill is whether the case carries a possibility of life in prison. If the guy has already been sentenced, then it no longer carries up to life in prison. It carries whatever the remaining term of probation is.

Bunty
05-22-2014, 09:29 AM
He surely needs to try getting caught with growing a few pot plants as a means of staying in prison for a long time, since the law and culture seems to believe doing that presents a graver menace to the public than child rapists.

I wonder, though, if life in prison as a child rapist is all that bad and dangerous, since he offended his probation.