View Full Version : Best Buy Releases List of Closures - OK Is Spared

MikeOKC
04-15-2012, 12:21 AM
For now, at least, Best Buy stores in Oklahoma are safe from immediate closure according to the official list released by the company late Saturday.
Here's the list. (http://pr.bby.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=244152&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1683036&highlight=)

ljbab728
04-15-2012, 12:25 AM
For now, at least, Best Buy stores in Oklahoma are safe from immediate closure according to the official list released by the company late Saturday.
Here's the list. (http://pr.bby.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=244152&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1683036&highlight=)

Mike, I guess that's good news for us for now but I'm not sure how relevant is towards the long term stability of the company. I don't think I would want to be buying any of their stock.

MikeOKC
04-15-2012, 12:38 AM
Mike, I guess that's good news for us for now but I'm not sure how relevant is towards the long term stability of the company. I don't think I would want to be buying any of their stock.

You're right about that. It's on a list of companies in one of the business magazines that "may not see 2013." At least for now, a lot of jobs here are spared, but you're right - those won't last long.

bluedogok
04-15-2012, 09:18 AM
I got an email yesterday that the one that I normally go to here in Aurora is the only one closing in Colorado. The closest ones to me are much harder to get in/out of but was always pretty much busier than the Arapahoe location.

Easy180
04-15-2012, 12:58 PM
No one buys CD's any more and most of the electronics are available at Walmart, Target etc...Not quite in Blockbuster territory but probably headed down that path

WilliamTell
04-15-2012, 06:02 PM
Best buy sucks, anyone with any sort of brain doesnt shop there. Everything is over priced, the employees are no longer knowledgeable, and they are continuously trying to sell useless warranties.

Order online for almost any other retailer and save your money.

Achilleslastand
04-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Best buy sucks, anyone with any sort of brain doesnt shop there. Everything is over priced, the employees are no longer knowledgeable, and they are continuously trying to sell useless warranties.

And not to mention a plain brown cardboard box probably knows more about pc repair then anyone in the geek squad.

sooner88
04-15-2012, 06:32 PM
The Geek Squad was the one of the worst retail experiences I have had and I haven't been back since (5 years ago). The only thing they can do in-store is ship it to someone who knows what they are doing. It took them 4 weeks, and it was returned because the lady had checked it was a white iPod instead of black. 4 more weeks and it was returned, same problem, and they had not even put the iPod back together correctly.

adaniel
04-15-2012, 11:46 PM
The Geek Squad was the one of the worst retail experiences I have had and I haven't been back since (5 years ago). The only thing they can do in-store is ship it to someone who knows what they are doing. It took them 4 weeks, and it was returned because the lady had checked it was a white iPod instead of black. 4 more weeks and it was returned, same problem, and they had not even put the iPod back together correctly.

Agree completely. Their customer service has really gone down the tubes, Geek Squad included. They won't talk to you unless you've bought one of their worthless warranties and even then getting some help is like pulling teeth. I'm probably done with "Worst Buy" after my computer I bought from them recently died after a whopping 16 months of usage and got zero help. I would do a happy dance if Fry's ever expanded to OKC.

Speaking of, its funny that Best Buy execs say they don't want to be another Circuit City, yet they followed in CC's footsteps by pulling knowledgeable salespeople off their floors and putting in kids that know nothing so they only have to pay them $9/hour. Some people just don't learn...

And don't get me started on my crappy Dynex TV (Best Buy brand) that has a huge burn mark in it from less than three years of use!

UncleCyrus
04-16-2012, 01:29 AM
Well, I guess I have to chime in here with my experience. I go into Best Buy knowing that I will not expect any knowledgeable service from anyone. I research what I want and go there when the price is good (they match too). I know not to buy any high-markup accessories from them. Also, I use the reward zone points. That got me a free DVD player with my last TV purchase.

One standout example of service: A few years ago I purchased one of those computer systems with multiple rebates. Well, the biggest one ($200) never showed up. The manufacturer gave me the run around over and over. After going to BB with the problem, the manager researched the situation and eventually Best Buy cut me the check for the manufacturer's rebate.

I have had several other occasions since then where management has gone out of their way to make sure I was a satisfied customer. However, I do agree with the posts above about the sales staff and Geek Squad.

UncleCyrus
04-16-2012, 01:33 AM

I'm curious, why didn't you go directly to Apple for your iPod repair?

UncleCyrus
04-16-2012, 01:41 AM

To use your own words, "anyone with any sort of brain" doesn't make broad generalizations like that. I consider myself fairly intelligent and I am a Best Buy shopper (see post #10). Also, every retailer has markup items that they have to push to make margin. Some places it is fries and tots, or upsize your combo. For Best Buy, it is warranties. Car dealers do the same thing. Is everyone griping about car dealers pushing warranties?

In addition, I don't think most items there are overpriced, just the accessory items. I comparison shop all the time for myself as well as for my employer and we often find the lowest prices at BB. They usually come in pretty close to B&H or Adorama, which are the only online retailers I am comfortable ordering electronics and cameras from.

I will agree with you that the sales floor staff often have no idea what they are actually selling.

I'm not trying to start a fight, I just wanted to clarify those points.

oneforone
04-16-2012, 02:56 AM
I will agree the sales staff could be better. However sales people that know their products and enjoy working in sales go where they can make the most money. Budget retail is just wage work especially since Walmart got into the business of selling electronics. Walmart edged every descent place out by starting out selling watered down versions of the products that used to be sold by Circuit City, Best Buy and Ultimate. When Circuit City, Ultimate and other regional chains died electronics manufactures were stuck with no channels to move warehouses full of product other then Walmart and online retailers. Best Buy will die if they don't get their act together and give a people a reason to shop brick and mortar stores. they needed to go ahead and end CD and DVD sales. That area has always been high loss area. Too many people steal that stuff and not mention they have never been worth the investment.

I have a feeling most manufactures will be selling from their websites by 2015. Not every manufacture is going to want their products lost in a crowd of no name brands at Walmart. I wouldn't be surprised if Walmart does not eventually start buying up manufactures or their naming rights to sell in their stores to people who don't care rather or not they have to replace everything they buy every year or every other year. It seems like everything I buy from Walmart breaks after normal wear and tear. Which is why I stopped buying anything there that is more than a few bucks.

I hope Best Buy sticks it out for awhile. I would hate for Walmart to be the only place to go. You can find good deals if you watch the ads and window shop their stores. I got a 32 inch Toshiba for our bedroom for $250 a couple of weeks ago at the Quail Springs store. Everybody else is still selling it for $279-$300. There are plenty of good deals locally you just have to do your homework.

sooner88
04-16-2012, 07:27 AM
I'm curious, why didn't you go directly to Apple for your iPod repair?

I actually did at first. My iPod was given as a gift with the Best Buy warranty already purchased. I had the iPod over a year before I started seeing problems, so the Apple warranty had expired. The funny thing is I took it to Apple just in hope they would fix it and they found the problem and solution in 15 minutes.... Only problem at that point was it was going to be $200+ to replace it so I tried my luck with the Best Buy warranty.

Just the facts
04-16-2012, 07:29 AM
Most of that list appear to be in what were once considered high-growth areas that collapased with the housing bubble. Like many ratailers, they tried to stay ahead of the urban sprawl wave and this time the wave crashed before suffecient population was reached. Of all those store that are closing I wonder what the average age is. My guess is most of them are newer stores, and by newer, I mean less than 10 years old.

ddavidson8
04-16-2012, 08:47 AM
Well, I guess I have to chime in here with my experience. I go into Best Buy knowing that I will not expect any knowledgeable service from anyone. I research what I want and go there when the price is good (they match too). I know not to buy any high-markup accessories from them. Also, I use the reward zone points. That got me a free DVD player with my last TV purchase.

One standout example of service: A few years ago I purchased one of those computer systems with multiple rebates. Well, the biggest one ($200) never showed up. The manufacturer gave me the run around over and over. After going to BB with the problem, the manager researched the situation and eventually Best Buy cut me the check for the manufacturer's rebate.

I have had several other occasions since then where management has gone out of their way to make sure I was a satisfied customer. However, I do agree with the posts above about the sales staff and Geek Squad.

Nice post, +1.

I think to completely dismiss Best Buy shoppers as ignorant is simply snobbish. It also leads me to believe that you don't know how to find a good deal or even what you need. Why rely on "knowledgeable" salespeople at all? Do the research yourself, it's 2012 not 1998. Google?

BBatesokc
04-16-2012, 09:26 AM
Nice post, +1.

I think to completely dismiss Best Buy shoppers as ignorant is simply snobbish. It also leads me to believe that you don't know how to find a good deal or even what you need. Why rely on "knowledgeable" salespeople at all? Do the research yourself, it's 2012 not 1998. Google?

I didn't read where ddavidson8 claimed Best Buy shoppers were ignorant. I read that there was at least the expectation the employees should know something about what they are selling - nothing ignorant or snobbish about that.

I don't like buying from people that know nothing about their products when shopping at specialty stores like Best Buy. Unfortunately the stores don't' seem to care about product knowledge. Throw in the fact I can buy it cheaper online in most instances and I rarely go into a Best Buy other than to see an item I plan on ordering from Amazon. I do occasionally buy from their return or clearance area or when something has a good sale. Still kicking myself I didn't buy their Black Friday stainless steel side-by-side frig/freezer for only $1,500. To this day it sales for $1,000 more.

SoonerDave
04-16-2012, 09:31 AM
I've got no real complaints with BB. Only truly annoying experience I've had with them was in a laptop purchase from a few years ago. They had advertised a very nice little Gateway laptop which I had eyeballed as being perfect for my son and at a what I considered an excellent price. Did the due-diligence, concluded it was a really good deal, it passed my own geek criteria, so, I went to the local BB to buy it.

So I go through the aisles and spotted the beast, but saw every box on the floor slapped with a "Geek Squad" "Pre-checked out and configured with XYZ antivirus and via your local Geek Squad team" or some such nonsense - for which they conveniently added something like $49 or $99 or some ridiculous fee. I asked the Chief Geek at BB about it, and he dutifully tried to explain why it was so important that the Geek Squad's Highly Trained Personnel (at which I nearly laughed out loud) should be the ones to press the "on" button for me, to which I replied "okay, that's nonsense. Do you have one that isn't pre-loaded with that junk?" "Oh, but sir, we're professionals and we have thus-and-so certifications and its very important your antivirus be configured properly, you really don't want to leave without our checkout."

And I told him "Dude, I've been building software and working on PC's since before you were born. The first thing I'm going to do when I get home is blow away everything you've done, reformat the drive, and put in a clean OS install, so what you do is worthless to me. Do you not sell boxes at the advertised price that haven't been geeked up?" He realized I was serious, shut up, and handed me a box that was still factory sealed, and I went on my way. Realize he has a sell-up job to do, but I've got a don't-throw-money-in-the-toilet policy, too. (And, BTW, my son still uses that same laptop, although I never did rebuild the machine :) )

BB is a nice place to go to window shop, buy from on occasion if you know your prices, do your research, watch for sales, and ensure you never buy junk like monster cables or similar items from them. I got a new XBOX 360 at their Black Friday sale for $199, which was the best deal I saw all last Christmas. Would hate to see them disappear entirely, but I think they may be going down a rough road over the next year or so.

Bunty
04-16-2012, 01:09 PM
I hope Radio Shack sticks around for something or the other things that Wal-Mart or Best Buy may not have.

Larry OKC
04-16-2012, 01:16 PM
The way most retailers get around lowest price guarantees etc is it has to be the exact make/model number. Manufacturers give different retailers the exact same product (same case, features etc) but the model number will be slightly different (along the lines of)...

12354930-W54839 = Walmart
12354930-T54839 = Target
12354930-S54839 = Sears
12354930-B54839 = Best Buy etc

Then you have the instances where the different tv, vcr etc is made in the same factory, on the same production line and they just put a different logo on it.

UncleCyrus
04-16-2012, 07:00 PM
I've got no real complaints with BB. Only truly annoying experience I've had with them was in a laptop purchase from a few years ago. They had advertised a very nice little Gateway laptop which I had eyeballed as being perfect for my son and at a what I considered an excellent price. Did the due-diligence, concluded it was a really good deal, it passed my own geek criteria, so, I went to the local BB to buy it.

So I go through the aisles and spotted the beast, but saw every box on the floor slapped with a "Geek Squad" "Pre-checked out and configured with XYZ antivirus and via your local Geek Squad team" or some such nonsense - for which they conveniently added something like $49 or $99 or some ridiculous fee. I asked the Chief Geek at BB about it, and he dutifully tried to explain why it was so important that the Geek Squad's Highly Trained Personnel (at which I nearly laughed out loud) should be the ones to press the "on" button for me, to which I replied "okay, that's nonsense. Do you have one that isn't pre-loaded with that junk?" "Oh, but sir, we're professionals and we have thus-and-so certifications and its very important your antivirus be configured properly, you really don't want to leave without our checkout."

And I told him "Dude, I've been building software and working on PC's since before you were born. The first thing I'm going to do when I get home is blow away everything you've done, reformat the drive, and put in a clean OS install, so what you do is worthless to me. Do you not sell boxes at the advertised price that haven't been geeked up?" He realized I was serious, shut up, and handed me a box that was still factory sealed, and I went on my way. Realize he has a sell-up job to do, but I've got a don't-throw-money-in-the-toilet policy, too. (And, BTW, my son still uses that same laptop, although I never did rebuild the machine :) )

BB is a nice place to go to window shop, buy from on occasion if you know your prices, do your research, watch for sales, and ensure you never buy junk like monster cables or similar items from them. I got a new XBOX 360 at their Black Friday sale for $199, which was the best deal I saw all last Christmas. Would hate to see them disappear entirely, but I think they may be going down a rough road over the next year or so.

I had the exact same experience last Black Friday. They wanted to charge me an extra $99 for their "service" on a laptop. I found a manager and made my case very clear that I didn't wait four hours to get tricked and got the fee waived. Again, a situation where the managers seem to be trained to keep customers happy and returning, and the floor staff acted like a brick wall.

UncleCyrus
04-16-2012, 07:03 PM
I didn't read where ddavidson8 claimed Best Buy shoppers were ignorant.

ddavidson did not. See post #6.

ljbab728
04-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Nice post, +1.

Not everyone who needs technology is savy enough to understand and sort out all of the information available on line. There is still a place for "in person" expertise for many people and that will never change.

bluedogok
04-16-2012, 10:06 PM

Pretty much how I am, I go into most stores knowing more than the people in there on pretty much any high dollar item that I buy. I have never used any of the so-called "tech support" at any of those places, like SononerDave stated, I have been building them since most of their employees were born. I am usually the tech support for most people that I know so it is pretty much worthless service they offer to most people.

Prunepicker
04-16-2012, 10:15 PM
I've made many purchases from BB. Bought an external CD drive yesterday.
My main reason is that I want it yesterday.

BBatesokc
04-17-2012, 02:01 PM
I go to Best Buy for classy customers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSyz1PDpUEs

The best part would be if this was a brilliant plan to distract store security while two dudes walked out the front door with a flat screen and some Laptops.

SoonerDave
04-17-2012, 02:07 PM

Absolutely valid point. If there's only a $5 or $10 difference on, say, a $100-$200 item, and its something I really don't want to wait a week for it to get shipped in from some mailorder place, I'll pay what I call the 7-11 tax and snag it at BB for nothing more than the convenience of it.

BBatesokc
04-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Went in the other day looking for an external Blu-Ray burner for a Mac (no dice), but left with a PS3 Move bundle for only $99 (Move camera, Move Wand, Move Controller, Move Rifle and Kill Zone 3 game). Sweet deal. Only thing is, the wife won't put it down long enough for me to play.

Larry OKC
04-18-2012, 01:43 PM

The best part would be if this was a brilliant plan to distract store security while two dudes walked out the front door with a flat screen and some Laptops.
Was in BB a few months back and was in the Apple area when this ear piercing alarm goes off throughout the store. Seems some idiot decided he wanted the display model (didnt know they had them in boxes and was taking it to the front to check out (or so he claimed), they stopped him before exiting the store and got the laptop back. SInce they got him before exiting the store, I don't think they could do anything to him??? Anyway, was struck by the irony of it because around the same time, some nearly priceless piece of artwork was taken from a museum out in San Fran(?) in broad daylight...they just walked up to it, took it off the wall , tucked it under their arm and walked out the door with it. Apparently no type of security system at all but let someone try to take a $1,200 computer and you would think we were under nuclear attack. Took personnel a lot longer than needed to figure how to turn the alarm off!

Just the facts
04-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Went in the other day looking for an external Blu-Ray burner for a Mac (no dice), but left with a PS3 Move bundle for only $99 (Move camera, Move Wand, Move Controller, Move Rifle and Kill Zone 3 game). Sweet deal. Only thing is, the wife won't put it down long enough for me to play.

Did you try distracting her with a dance?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-19-2012, 08:42 AM

X2. I know what I want, and on the rare occasion Best Buy has it...I go there and buy it. Unless it's cables or drive case or something...Where their markup is something like 800%.

Or when it's an item with a MAP from the manufacturer. Something like the Kindle Fire...That's $200 no matter where you go.

I only wish I had that guy's moves.:Smiley130

UncleCyrus
04-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Not everyone who needs technology is savy enough to understand and sort out all of the information available on line. There is still a place for "in person" expertise for many people and that will never change.

I completely agree. There is no substitute for in person expertise. Unfortunately, Best Buy is not the place to find it.

Some of you may remember Contemporary Sounds on N. May. When I was younger and new to high fidelity stereo equipment, I realized quickly that the chain stores couldn't help me. The staff at CS was patient with me coming in every other day for several weeks auditioning speakers until I found just the right ones (which still sound fantastic). Due to the knowledge and personal attention from the staff, I bought several more pieces from them, back before real life kicked in and diminished my hi-fi budget!

Sadly, I have noted for a long time the deterioration of the retail industry in general. Yes, there are a few local standouts, but overall customer service is on a steep decline.

Prunepicker
04-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Some of you may remember Contemporary Sounds on N. May. When I
was younger and new to high fidelity stereo equipment, I realized quickly
that the chain stores couldn't help me. The staff at CS was patient.
McGuires and Young's were very knowledgeable, too. I remember
listening to Sgt. Pepper at Young's. Incredible. I believe the
speakers were Magnaplane or something like that. McIntosh power!

bluedogok
04-19-2012, 09:30 PM
Contemporary Sounds (http://www.selectsystemsav.com/index.php) relocated to 33rd in Edmond around 2000, Audio Dimensions (http://audiodimensions.net/) was another that was similar to CS that went into the former original CS location and have since moved around the corner on Hefner Rd. I went to high school with the owner of Audio Dimensions. Both are still around but I think they focus more on home theater installations. Both were quality shops back when I was familiar with them, I doubt that has changed.

UncleCyrus
04-25-2012, 12:10 PM
Here's an interesting Best Buy related article I ran across today: http://www.twice.com/article/483439-Some_Advice_For_Best_Buy_s_New_CEO.php

oneforone
04-26-2012, 11:52 PM
They have the opportunity to turn the company around however, they will have to abandon the bargain basement customer. Good sales people know what they are worth and they are not going to work for $10 an hour. They need to separate themselves from Walmart and Target. People have a desire to purchase middle of the road electronics.

If they build there stores to sell the better quality stuff people will come in to shop. When you want a business suit you don't go to Walmart or Target. You go to a store who sells quality suits. Granted you may not want to spend a fortune however, your willing to spend a little because you need the suit for work and you want it to last a little while. The same principle applies for electronics. Most people want something that will last several years. They don't want the disposable model.

Easy180
04-27-2012, 04:39 AM
Probably a little wary of shifting to higher end electronics and knowledgeable staff since that model didn't work too well for Ultimate Electronics

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-27-2012, 09:49 AM
They have their Magnolia stores for the higher-end stuff (or is Magnolia no longer around?).

And they're not going to move those (higher-end) products down the chain, because they deal in small profits/moving lots of merchandise. Best Buy shoppers don't buy the $2,000 BluRay players and $20,000 speakers.

bluedogok
04-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Probably a little wary of shifting to higher end electronics and knowledgeable staff since that model didn't work too well for Ultimate Electronics
Ultimate Electronics was done in my debt load, not their business model. It was a combination of debt load from aggressive expansion via opening new stores and acquiring existing, smaller chains. I do think the competition in the mid-priced market is lacking now compared to 10 years ago since so many different chains and stores have closed up over the years.

They have their Magnolia stores for the higher-end stuff (or is Magnolia no longer around?).

And they're not going to move those (higher-end) products down the chain, because they deal in small profits/moving lots of merchandise. Best Buy shoppers don't buy the $2,000 BluRay players and $20,000 speakers.
Magnolia is still around, there are three in the Denver metro area.

Bunty
04-28-2012, 10:52 AM
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/04/27/7-reasons-best-buy-wont-be-around-in-7-years/?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl11%7Csec3_lnk1%26pLid%3D156175

scarlettfever
05-16-2012, 08:30 PM
I bought an ipad at bestbuy in mwc and the sales people were rude to me...i finally had to flag someone down...geez..it wasnt a battery it was an ipad---those things arent cheap...:mad: