View Full Version : residential network cable wiring

Martin
04-13-2012, 08:18 AM
does anybody have a recommendation for a company to come out and run some network cable? any idea on pricing? i'd do it myself (and have in the past) but the house i'm getting is two story which from what i understand makes the process more complicated.

-M

Jim Kyle
04-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Call Bill at Midwest Computer, 722-2900. He does on-site repair and network troubleshooting. I don't know whether he pulls new cable or not but I'm sure that if he doesn't, he will know people who do -- and I trust his recommendations. He's always been quite fair to me; he's been my repairman of choice for quite a few years now, ever since before he closed his storefront at NW 122 and Rockwell. Tell him I sent you.

I had some cable pulled several years ago but don't remember the name of the fellow who did it. I do recall that it cost me $75 at the time, for a single run from one end of the house to the other going through the attic area.

NoOkie
04-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Typical pricing is between $50 and $80 per drop. If you have an electrician that you trust, you can get them to give you a quote as well. They can sometimes be cheaper than a phone/data cabling company.

You also might see if they'll run some string along with the cables and tuck it up above the wall plate. That will make adding additional runs or having to re-pull some cable in the event of a break easier in the future. Make sure to label both ends of every drop!

Edit: I don't have any specific recommendations, unfortunately. All the guys I work with are larger contractors and tend to only do commercial work. For my personal stuff, I have an electrician friend I just feed beer to in exchange for the work.

Just the facts
04-16-2012, 08:49 PM
does anybody have a recommendation for a company to come out and run some network cable? any idea on pricing? i'd do it myself (and have in the past) but the house i'm getting is two story which from what i understand makes the process more complicated.

-M

I have laid lots of Cat5 cable myself and I recently tried to do it for the first time in our two-story house. It was alot harder than you can imagine and I actually wasn't able to do it (and I even have all the equipment to do it). Whatever it cost - hire someone or go wireless.