View Full Version : Dippin' Dots

ljbab728
04-12-2012, 10:42 PM
An interesting purchase by local investors. Evidently there are no plans to move anything here at this time though.
Of course that was the plan with the Seattle Supersonics too. LOL

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-firm-will-pay-12.7-million-for-dippin-dots/article/3665878

Thunder
04-12-2012, 10:49 PM
That's fun! I hope that after the transaction will complete, that the new owner will suddenly relocate the plant to OKC. That will open 200 more jobs (if none of the employees relocate). I believe it is much more of a business sense and logic to operate in OKC, because we are a growing state and the tax structure is much better. Will there be any plans for OKC to offer incentives to relocate?

The first time I enjoyed Dippin' Dots were at Frontier City. Now the only time I enjoy Dippin' Dots is when I visit the OKC Zoo.

Larry OKC
04-13-2012, 08:18 AM
Seems like I have seen them in the grocery store, Walmart maybe??? Also, sometimes at malls (but I dont do malls much anymore so not sure)

BBatesokc
04-13-2012, 08:43 AM
Seems like I have seen them in the grocery store, Walmart maybe??? Also, sometimes at malls (but I dont do malls much anymore so not sure)

The wife and I usually indulge in DD at local fairs when we see a vendor.

Skyline
04-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Maybe this will help get DD back at the Thunder games inside CHK Arena. For some reason they are not sold at Thunder games this year. My kids love them and they are less messy than the ice cream or yogurt, and easier to bring back to the seats and watch the games.

MDot
04-13-2012, 09:07 AM
When I went to a convention in Columbus, OH at their convention center I was at the Dippin' Dots stand more than I was in my seat paying attention to what was being said.

Roadhawg
04-13-2012, 09:24 AM
When I went to a convention in Columbus, OH at their convention center I was at the Dippin' Dots stand more than I was in my seat paying attention to what was being said.

With a name like MDOT I can see why you like Dippin DOTS lol

MDot
04-14-2012, 09:48 AM
With a name like MDOT I can see why you like Dippin DOTS lol

Haha it makes sense. LOL ;-)

Joe Kimball
04-14-2012, 08:34 PM

They sell a copycat version (IIRC, the patent was found invalid) at a couple of stores that I've seen, Homeland being one. They're not QUITE the same, though, since DDs are stored below -40 degrees.

stick47
04-15-2012, 07:53 AM
Gotta think that this item is another in a long string of "charge the suckers more for less product" marketing scams. No, I haven't tried them but would be surprised if my suspicions on the premise is faulty.

BBatesokc
04-15-2012, 08:11 AM
Gotta think that this item is another in a long string of "charge the suckers more for less product" marketing scams. No, I haven't tried them but would be surprised if my suspicions on the premise is faulty.

That assessment really doesn't make much sense. Its a product that pretty much stands on its own. Doesn't taste like ice cream or frozen yogurt. Falls somewhere in between. Is processed completely different than comparable products. Its less messy and colder than most frozen treats and doesn't cost anymore than any other fair food item.

If you're simply basing that allegation on the price verses the cost of production then I hope you don't drink coffee, bottled water or carbonated sodas as those have HUGE margins and have been around a lot longer than DD.

stick47
04-15-2012, 08:21 AM
But it is ice cream right? From their site"
the unique, futuristic and fun way to eat ice cream!
I doubt you're looking at the trend here then. Shifting the publics favor from a less expensive item to one more profitable is the gist of my post. Of course people can opt out but the point is that it's like so many other ways companies enhance profits. (premeasured laundry soap packets, etc)

White Peacock
04-15-2012, 10:37 AM
It is ice cream, it's just flash frozen. I worked at a DD kiosk when I was between jobs several years back. It was a humiliating place for me to be seen, but damned if getting all the free Dots I wanted wasn't a decent consolation!

BDK
04-15-2012, 07:38 PM
It is ice cream, it's just flash frozen. I worked at a DD kiosk when I was between jobs several years back. It was a humiliating place for me to be seen, but damned if getting all the free Dots I wanted wasn't a decent consolation!

I too worked the Dippin' Dots stand. It was my first summer job. Lemme tell you, 70 hour weeks at Frontier City for minimum wage (at that time, just over 5 an hour) without overtime pay were pretty miserable for a 16 year old.

ThomPaine
04-16-2012, 02:55 PM
I hope they can turn it around. I just never liked the product. My kids always clamored for it though.

ljbab728
05-02-2012, 11:56 PM
http://newsok.com/court-approves-dippin-dots-sale-to-oklahoma-city-investors/article/3671846?custom_click=pod_headline_financial-news

ljbab728
07-12-2014, 12:27 AM
This is an interesting turn of events after the recent bankruptcy filing of the Crumbs Bake Shop chain.

Oklahoma City investors form partnership to buy assets of Crumbs Bake Shop | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-investors-form-partnership-to-buy-assets-of-crumbs-bake-shop/article/4988096)