View Full Version : Here's some good news - Charles Manson Denied Parole

Prunepicker
04-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Personally I'm very pleased with this.

From KOCO via CNN News (http://www.koco.com/news/30869645/detail.html#ixzz1rmpH0rOB)
Notorious killer Charles Manson, 77, was denied parole Wednesday
after a California parole panel "could find nothing good as far as
suitability" for his being paroled, a commissioner said.

Stew
04-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Man, prison healthcare, nutrition and exercise must rock.

kevinpate
04-11-2012, 08:20 PM
I tend to forget he is even still out there breathing in Cali except when a parole hearing gives him yet another 15 minutes of unnecessary fame.

jn1780
04-11-2012, 08:57 PM
Man, prison healthcare, nutrition and exercise must rock.

Yeah, why would he want out at his age. Not like he could support himself. He would probably be in a nursing home in a few years.

Larry OKC
04-12-2012, 09:23 AM
It was amazing, the report I read said the parole board "deliberated" for 20 minutes. What the heck was their to deliberate and why did it take that long? At least they made the right decision, but apparently it came down to a statement Manson had made to a psychologists that he was still a danger, and the parole board agreed with him. Next opportunity for parole is in 15 years by California law, so this should be his last one.

ljbab728
04-12-2012, 09:13 PM
It was amazing, the report I read said the parole board "deliberated" for 20 minutes. What the heck was their to deliberate and why did it take that long? At least they made the right decision, but apparently it came down to a statement Manson had made to a psychologists that he was still a danger, and the parole board agreed with him. Next opportunity for parole is in 15 years by California law, so this should be his last one.

Larry, I have no idea how a parole board works, especially in California, but I would suspect that there are required procedural aspects that could easily take 20 minutes even when there is do doubt about the outcome. They would have to document that they have done their job properly.

Prunepicker
04-12-2012, 11:02 PM
It was amazing, the report I read said the parole board "deliberated"
for 20 minutes. What the heck was their to deliberate and why did it
take that long?
They probably had the outcome decided days, weeks or months before
but to make it look good waited 20 minutes. Maybe it took that long to
stop laughing.

Thunder
04-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Did he seek the parole or is this mandatory for all those whom are eligible? If he was not seeking for parole, I am betting that he most likely told the doctor that he was a danger in order to not be released. At his age and the years living in that prison, it would not be feasible for him to be released into the public with nothing. I believe he is quite content and comfortable with the amenities provided. He is very much aware that his expiration date is coming soon and that he would prefer to live out his life in peace there along with free funeral arrangement.

Does anyone know what amenities and recreation he is currently enjoying? If I'm right, he's one of the few prisoners on best behavior, so I guess that cable television and/or computer with Internet access are a part of that.

I remember seeing a documentary on him a year or two ago and that he was doing quite well. What I found offensive was the guards (or one guard) constantly raiding his cell and stealing his personal items such as arts he created. He was given supplies to create many art items, but this guard on the documentary seem uptight and happy to continuously take away his crafts. They don't throw them away...looked like they store them in some sort of safe room or whatever room. No logical reason for that. I guess the guard(s) want to make quick money by auctioning his arts/crafts when he die?

White Peacock
04-16-2012, 09:00 AM
I've watched lots of interviews with Manson. In them he's stated explicitly that he doesn't want out; he's been in institutions since childhood and doesn't know how to live otherwise. He's an interesting character from the darker side of American history. In interviews, he will go from perfectly sensible and lucid to babbling meaningless syllables and sticking out his tongue. A lot of times, he seems pretty with it on his sociological observations, then he says "If I ever get out, you'll all be dead."

The interview that Geraldo did with him several years ago was interesting, but only because of his contribution. Geraldo did nothing but insult him throughout the interview. That man has even less class than the Manson Family.

BB37
04-16-2012, 09:38 PM
In fact, Manson begged not to be released in the mid 60s (before the Hinman-Tate-LaBianca-Shea murders), claiming that prison was the only home he'd ever known, so it's doubtful he wants out now.

Given his notoriety, it's surprising he's survived this long.

Prunepicker
04-16-2012, 10:10 PM
I'm glad he will never be released. However, I wish he would have been
executed.

RadicalModerate
04-17-2012, 05:19 PM
If you haven't already read them, here are two books about Manson and his followers that will really creep you out:
"Helter Skelter" (Vincent Bugliosi)
"The Family" (Ed Sanders--i think)

The first one is especially good.

Prunepicker
04-17-2012, 06:56 PM
If you haven't already read them, here are two books about Manson and
his followers that will really creep you out:
"Helter Skelter" (Vincent Bugliosi)
"The Family" (Ed Sanders--i think)

The first one is especially good.
Wasn't Bugliosi the prosecuting attorney?

kevinpate
04-18-2012, 01:13 AM
Wasn't Bugliosi the prosecuting attorney?

yes, he was.

RadicalModerate
04-18-2012, 07:17 AM
The area in which I grew up was invaded by hordes of drug-addled burn outs following the demise of Haight-Asbury after "The Summer of Love" ended. There was at least one group of these "communalists"--The STP Family--that could easily been another Manson clan with the right (or maybe that should be wrong) "leadership". This is one of the reasons Bugliosi's book was so creepy. (BTW: Bugliosi's book, "Outrage", regarding the OJ Simpson trial is also worth reading.)