View Full Version : Housecleaning/Maid service

NoOkie
04-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Anyone have any recommendations for a maid service? I need someone to do a move-out deep clean because I'm lazy.

Also might hire them for regular cleaning as well due to the above laziness.

Thunder
04-13-2012, 04:17 AM
Browse through the phone book and Craigslist. If you got the money, pay for access on Angieslist (the lady founder on that site wants money (greed) compared to Craigslist being free) to browse through reviews and ratings. Check the BBB website to find the goodies or dirts on any companies. When you decide on one or a couple, ask for references so you can contact to ask questions. Good luck and happy cleaning!

Sheetkeecker
04-13-2012, 04:21 AM
Maid Service.

Prepare to be robbed.

This ain't 1940.

BBatesokc
04-13-2012, 08:13 AM
Browse through the phone book and Craigslist. If you got the money, pay for access on Angieslist (the lady founder on that site wants money (greed) compared to Craigslist being free) to browse through reviews and ratings. Check the BBB website to find the goodies or dirts on any companies. When you decide on one or a couple, ask for references so you can contact to ask questions. Good luck and happy cleaning!

That's a ridiculous assessment of Angieslist. I've been a member for several years. Even comparing them to Craigslist shows you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Never had good service from these highly advertised maid services you see all the time. I've found word-of-mouth and Angies List are your best resources.

NoOkie
04-13-2012, 08:22 AM
Maid Service.

Prepare to be robbed.

This ain't 1940.

A move out clean is by definition on an empty house. What are they going to steal, the carpet?

Also, thanks BBates. I only know one person locally that uses one, so I wanted some other opinions. I guess I'll re-up my Angie's list subscription. They've been bugging the crap out of me to resub lately, anyway.

BBatesokc
04-13-2012, 08:37 AM
Since its just a move out cleaning that is needed you could possibly find someone on Craigslist and just make it clear they are not paid unless the job is done correctly.

I've used Cragslist for immediate labor needs, gutter cleaning or to have something hauled.

Most recently I posted an ad for someone to help me move new bedroom furniture from my garage to the room. I also posted an ad looking for someone with a truck to meet me at Sam's to haul a very large/heavy item. I expressed a preference for military servicemen or college students. I also made it clear, no smoking, and if they smell like smoke or just bad in general, do not respond.

What really shocked me were the number of women who responded. Lots of single moms.

The two guys I picked worked out great and they were very thankful for the cash work. Will probably post another ad for someone to clean my gutters out and help me lay some sod I'm buying.

On the other hand, for roofing, electrical, plumbing, skilled trade, etc. I always use Angieslist and have had really good results. Most recently I found a guy to resurface about 1,800 sq feet of wood floors.

NoOkie
04-13-2012, 08:43 AM
Since its just a move out cleaning that is needed you could possibly find someone on Craigslist and just make it clear they are not paid unless the job is done correctly.

I've used Cragslist for immediate labor needs, gutter cleaning or to have something hauled.

Most recently I posted an ad for someone to help me move new bedroom furniture from my garage to the room. I also posted an ad looking for someone with a truck to meet me at Sam's to haul a very large/heavy item. I expressed a preference for military servicemen or college students. I also made it clear, no smoking, and if they smell like smoke or just bad in general, do not respond.

What really shocked me were the number of women who responded. Lots of single moms.

The two guys I picked worked out great and they were very thankful for the cash work. Will probably post another ad for someone to clean my gutters out and help me lay some sod I'm buying.

On the other hand, for roofing, electrical, plumbing, skilled trade, etc. I always use Angieslist and have had really good results. Most recently I found a guy to resurface about 1,800 sq feet of wood floors.

That's not a bad idea. I was considering using the move-out clean as a trial run for a service, though.

BBatesokc
04-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Just keep in mind, the larger service providers often send different people each week/month, as available, so the quality of service may change with each visit.

NoOkie
04-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Just keep in mind, the larger service providers often send different people each week/month, as available, so the quality of service may change with each visit.

That makes me inclined to use a local service. I would prefer to be able to get to know the stranger who would have access to my house.

soonerfan21
04-19-2012, 12:41 PM
I have not used them before, but the owner of Mary's Maid Service in Bethany lives on my street. Seems like a nice lady that would be honest.