View Full Version : Traveling with pets

mranderson
04-28-2005, 10:16 AM
Do your pets travel with you? If so, how do you handle their needs? how do you entertain your pet? If you go to a place that does not allow pets, like a theme park, what do you do with them?

mrote
04-28-2005, 10:36 AM
This is a problem for us. We have a larger dog, a Golden Retriever mix that we would like to take with us on vacation but she is just too much to handle with stops, lodging etc. So we end up leaving her with friends but the poor thing gets so depressed that it takes her a week to get back to her happy self after we return. We have taken her camping a few times and that works out OK. I see a lot of people with their pets when on vacation and I'm not sure what they do with them when they visit various attractions.

Patrick
04-28-2005, 12:14 PM
My border collie has long hair and she sheds frequently, so that's why I voted no in the poll.

Keith
04-28-2005, 07:36 PM
This is a problem for us. We have a larger dog, a Golden Retriever mix that we would like to take with us on vacation but she is just too much to handle with stops, lodging etc. So we end up leaving her with friends but the poor thing gets so depressed that it takes her a week to get back to her happy self after we return. We have taken her camping a few times and that works out OK. I see a lot of people with their pets when on vacation and I'm not sure what they do with them when they visit various attractions.
I also have a larger dog (part Collie/Part Lab), and it is just a chore to take her to the vet. I took her to PetsMart last Monday (with the help of my 12 year old daughter), to get groomed and pampered. We had to take my small S-10 pick-up, and it was terrible. The dog went back and forth from my daughter to me. We rolled both windows down slightly for some fresh air.

Plus, she shedded real bad in my seat. My greatest fear was that she would get so nervous that she would pee in my truck. Whew, luckily that didn't happen. So, my dog is not ever going to be a traveler. I also don't see how people take their pets on vacation with them...it seems to me like it would be a bother.

Patrick
05-01-2005, 11:47 PM
Maybe it's just a thing with collies, because as I said, we have the same problem with ours.

I'd imagine certain breeds are more calm then others, and thus make better travelers.

I had a Cocker Spaniel growing up, and she seemed to do fine riding in the car, although she shedded a lot too.

Midtowner
05-02-2005, 04:24 PM
Only to a vet or to a storm shelter.