View Full Version : Target Construction

metro
04-27-2005, 08:58 PM
I was reading the Journal Record the other day, apparently work has been going for quite some time on a SuperTarget in MWC. Also as predicted construction has started on the very old Target on May and NW Expressway. Anyone have any more specifics on these projects and ideas if any others are in the works?

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-27-2005, 09:10 PM
I heard Target is looking at Moore.

Jay
04-27-2005, 10:42 PM
I think I read in someone elses post that the Target on May will be just like the one on Rockwell.

Where is the MWC Super Target? is it going to be on 29th?

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-27-2005, 10:44 PM
I think so. By the new Home Depot, right?

Decious
04-27-2005, 10:46 PM
A Super Target will be built this year in Moore on the I-35 service road off of 19th. It will be next to Gordmans and the buffet that they are currently constructing. Word is that they wanted to be an anchor in the development on the east frontage, but Wal-Mart still owns that land and their "no competition" clause wouldn't allow it. I attained this info from CB Ellis.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-27-2005, 10:57 PM
Fire Mountain hasn't even been tilled yet.

Jay
04-27-2005, 11:02 PM
Unless I am wrong I think that is a Lowe's going in there. However same type store.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-27-2005, 11:04 PM
In MWC or Moore?

Patrick
04-27-2005, 11:19 PM
The Target on N. May and NW Expressway will be a regular Target, but it will be somewhat larger than the Target on Rockwell. It will actually be about the same size as most Super Targets, but since there is a Target already on NW Expressway (at Rockwell) they decided to brand it a regular regional Target. The building will get a completely new facade and will resemble the store on Rockwell. The new store will have a Pharmacy and Starbucks like all other Targets.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-27-2005, 11:21 PM
That's good b/c the NW Expy and May location was getting ugly...

Jay
04-27-2005, 11:25 PM
MWC..... If I were a betting man I would put a thousand dollars on the likelyhood of home depot coming to Moore. I was thinking I read an article somewhere that stated Home Depot thought that OKC could support 12 stores. Right now there are 8 if you count the one on Memorial that is about to open.

I don't know if any of you have noticed. Westlake is exploding all over the city. They just recently opened one in Mustang and Another at 23rd and Penn. I think they are trying to become the corner hardware store. The one you go to when you only have a couple of items to grab and you don't feel up to the warehouse store.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-27-2005, 11:26 PM
Definataly. I have no doubt that Moore is the new metro hot spot.

Decious
04-27-2005, 11:27 PM
I was told it was Super Target, not Lowes. I'll double check tomorrow with CB Ellis and repost. And SRG, you're right, construction hasn't started. I wonder what their waiting on?

Jay
04-27-2005, 11:28 PM
The Target on N. May and NW Expressway will be a regular Target, but it will be somewhat larger than the Target on Rockwell. It will actually be about the same size as most Super Targets, but since there is a Target already on NW Expressway (at Rockwell) they decided to brand it a regular regional Target. The building will get a completely new facade and will resemble the store on Rockwell. The new store will have a Pharmacy and Starbucks like all other Targets.

I will bet it will be something similar to Target Greatland. Regardless of what they do I am a regular Target shopper. The more the merrier, the larger the better.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-27-2005, 11:30 PM
Target Greatland?

A new format I guess... never heard of it.

Jay
04-27-2005, 11:33 PM
I was told it was Super Target, not Lowes. I'll double check tomorrow with CB Ellis and repost. And SRG, you're right, construction hasn't started. I wonder what their waiting on?

I know for a fact Lowes is going to build thier on 29th because they announced it on the local news. You are probably right the building under construction is Target.

I drove by thier a couple of weeks ago and it looked like a Lowe's from a distance. I could be wrong just because I did see the building from a distance.

Jay
04-27-2005, 11:37 PM
Target Greatland stores are large, discount department stores that average 145,000 square feet (13,000 mē) and are part of the Target (http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Target&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1) chain. Target Greatland carries a selection of general merchandise larger then a regular Target (http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Target+Stores&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1). Prominent features include double entrances on single level stores along with an expanded snack bar. Their Food Ave, as the company calls it, may include a Pizza Hut Express (http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Pizza+Hut&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1), Taco Bell Express (http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Taco+Bell&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1), and/or a Starbucks (http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Starbucks&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1).

Patrick
04-27-2005, 11:53 PM
I will bet it will be something similar to Target Greatland. Regardless of what they do I am a regular Target shopper. The more the merrier, the larger the better.

Me too...I love Target. Walking through the clean and bright aisles is a sigh of relief after pushing my way through the crowded, dark, and trashy Wal-Mart. Don't get me wrong I shop at Wal-Mart because I'm on a budget and they are a tad bit cheaper than Target, but my preference for small items is Target.

Patrick
04-27-2005, 11:54 PM
Target Greatland stores are large, discount department stores that average 145,000 square feet (13,000 mē) and are part of the Target (http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Target&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1) chain. Target Greatland carries a selection of general merchandise larger then a regular Target (http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Target+Stores&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1). Prominent features include double entrances on single level stores along with an expanded snack bar. Their Food Ave, as the company calls it, may include a Pizza Hut Express (http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Pizza+Hut&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1), Taco Bell Express (http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Taco+Bell&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1), and/or a Starbucks (http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Starbucks&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1).

I guess the Target on May will just be a regular Target then, because I saw the pics they have posted inside the store, and it appears they will only have the one central entrance.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-27-2005, 11:55 PM
Actually some Targets are very dark.

Especially the one by 44th & Western.

Jay
04-28-2005, 12:21 AM
Most of the time I am only shopping for myself. I only pay $8-$10 more on my major shopping trips to Target than if I were to go to Wal-Mart.

These days I only use Wal-Mart as a 7-11. I don't mind paying extra at Target just because there are no screaming kids and loud intercoms. I also like the neat and tidy enviroment that Super Target offers. The shelves are always stocked and you can find employees that know the products in thier area.

As they say if you want quality then you have to pay for it. I don't mind paying a little extra. Besides all of the non replenishment stuff I buy at Target seems to last longer.

Patrick
04-28-2005, 12:29 AM
One thing I will say, Target offers more unique mechandise than Wal-Mart. As we've been decorating our apartment we've discovered this. If you want something plain and ordinary that's very useable and cheap go to Wal-Mart. But if you want something unique and cute, go to Target.

mranderson
04-28-2005, 04:56 AM
Here is the scoop.

The building in the NE corner of SE 29 and Air Depot is Lowe's. The building on the NW corner of the former Uptown Shopping Center may be the Target Super Center. I thought it was the Wal-Mart Super Center. The color of the brick suggests Target now that I read this thread.

Target is believed to be planning a super center in the 12100 block of S Western as well, thus replacing the outdated store at SW 44 and Western.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-28-2005, 06:23 AM
They might build another in S. OKC, but they would never leave 44th Street.

Inside it may be outdated, but they put lots of money into updating the exterior every so many years.

Jay
04-28-2005, 08:10 AM
The Target Stores at 50th and May and on Western have been around at least 25 years or more. I'm willing to bet Target owns both of those stores and the property they set on. Therefore the only expenses they have are utilities, maintence and payroll.

Both stores have been or are being remodeled so that tells you the stores are making money. Target would be crazy to close the Western store because they have a buffer of about 5 miles to the nearest competitor.

Luke
04-28-2005, 09:14 AM
I'm surprised they're being so aggressive as OKC is definitely a Wal Mart town. That'll be the day a Wal Mart closes because Target is eating into profits. It could happen.

Decious
04-28-2005, 09:22 AM
Yeah, you're right Luke. The building on 29th is a Lowes. In my prior posts I was not talking about the construction in MWC. I agree it's a Lowes because there was an article in the JR that said so. I've been speaking of the strip developments in Moore immediately south of 19th along the west I-35 service road.

Luke
04-28-2005, 09:26 AM
SE 15th & Sooner is getting what I've heard is going to be the largest Superest Wal Mart in Oklahoma... which for some reason just sounds right being in Del City. I'm sure the Chamber is pumped. I can't confirm that though. Just rumblings. I work in Del City, that's how I've heard.

SE 15th and Sooner is not far from SE 29th and Air Depot. However it isn't odd for a SuperTarget and Wal Mart Supercenter to be so near one another. I mean, look at Memorial.

JOHNINSOKC
04-28-2005, 09:38 AM
I read the other day in the Oklahoman that the new Home Depot in Moore will be at the southwest corner of 19th and Telephone Road where the land was just recently sold by a long time farmer. I originally thought that the Home Depot was to be built on the strip of land behind Wal-mart, between Telephone Road and Interstate 35. It looks like 19th Street between Telephone and Santa Fe is rapidly becoming commercialized.

Patrick
04-28-2005, 11:45 AM
The Target Stores at 50th and May and on Western have been around at least 25 years or more. I'm willing to bet Target owns both of those stores and the property they set on. Therefore the only expenses they have are utilities, maintence and payroll.

Both stores have been or are being remodeled so that tells you the stores are making money. Target would be crazy to close the Western store because they have a buffer of about 5 miles to the nearest competitor.

Yeah oklacity75, you are correct. Target owns both of those buuldings, and I doubt they'll be moving from them anytime soon. They'll probably leave them as smaller regional Targets while larger Super Targets will be built nearby.

BTW, they had actually considered tearing down te Target at NW 50th and May an building a Super Target. They own enough land there. But, they just didn't think the price would be worth it since they have another store up the Expressway, and the Super Target on Memorial really isn't that far. Still, I would've liked to have seen something come in that area to compete with the Belle Isle Wal-Mart.

Jay
04-28-2005, 01:07 PM
Wal-Mart is closing the Reno and Midwest store to move to 15th and Sooner as a Supercenter.

They are also building another supercenter at NE 23rd and Douglas. You can almost bet MWC chamber of commerce had something to do with that store being built.

What was interesting was Spencer tried to talk MWC into sharing the tax profits with thier city.
MWC nicely said thanks but no thanks however, MWC offered to upgrade the road at no cost to Spencer.

metro
04-28-2005, 02:53 PM
No joke, I was hoping the Expressway and May location would of been torn down and rebuilt as a Greatland or SuperTarget, the space is there. The one on Memorial isnt really that close either, its an entirely different demographic area and self sufficient, there is a huge demographic right there at May and Expressway, an under tapped market until Belle Isle came along. Definetely needs another grocery store. THe other target on Expressway is not a superTarget either and is serving another demographical area, they are both independent and capable of serving their own areas

russellc
04-28-2005, 06:17 PM
Last year I saw an aerial photo of south Moore with outlines of the new businesses to come, and behind the Wal-Mart on 19th there was a Home Depot. The 120 acre lot north of wal-mart is being cleared as we speak of hundreds of 50+ foot trees. It makes me sad because I grew up on Telephone Road next to Wal-Mart, and loved having those huge trees to block the view and noise of I-35. Now they are pushing them over with bull dozers, and burning them on site. Telephone Rd is being widened to 4 lanes now too. It has needed to be widened for years, but with all of the development on the street, to the south, and the new hospital on the north end of the street, the city couldn't wait any longer.

metro
04-28-2005, 09:52 PM
This thread is crazy, I think a record. I started it last night and its already almost 4 pages long. Anyhow the thread is about Target. I think you guys should start a new thread about Moore construction or developments under way

JOHNINSOKC
04-29-2005, 07:58 AM
I'm just more familiar with what is happening in the South Metro since I live in West Moore. It wasn't too long ago that this part of the metro was behind other areas, development-wise.

Pete
04-29-2005, 09:15 AM
Target is a great operation and will continue to benefit from the substantial Wal-Mart backlash.

Glad to see they are agressively expanding in OKC, giving people there a good alternative to the Evil Empire. :)

Luke
04-29-2005, 09:28 AM
Empires are empires.

Jay
04-30-2005, 12:08 AM
Back to Target talk as metro says....... I found out through a source of mine today that knows some on with Rockwell Plaza. Apparently the Rockwell Target will become a Super Target. They will expand the front of the store forward and expand into the former Eckerd's and former Radio Shack. (Eckerds which is now CVS moved to Expwy and Mac and Radio Shack moved to a smaller store in the strip.)

Petsmart, Ross and Middleman Appliance will be joining Rockwell Plaza as well. More tenants are expected to Rockwell Plaza. More to come when the leases are signed.

diesel
05-01-2005, 11:11 PM
Well I was searching around google tonight for super target and midwest city and came up with this website.. I guess they are selling the Target building on Reno and Midwest Blvd.. So I would imagine that they are going to be moving to 29th and Air Depot...

Well I would have posted the link but of course, since I am a noob, it denied me cause of some SPAM something or other.. Anyway

check out staubachretail c0m and then click on oklahoma then midwest city... it will show the target building up for sale...

Patrick
05-01-2005, 11:31 PM
Back to Target talk as metro says....... I found out through a source of mine today that knows some on with Rockwell Plaza. Apparently the Rockwell Target will become a Super Target. They will expand the front of the store forward and expand into the former Eckerd's and former Radio Shack. (Eckerds which is now CVS moved to Expwy and Mac and Radio Shack moved to a smaller store in the strip.)

Petsmart, Ross and Middleman Appliance will be joining Rockwell Plaza as well. More tenants are expected to Rockwell Plaza. More to come when the leases are signed.

I'm really not surprised Target is expanding the store at NW Expressway and Rockwell. I was actually surprised at the time they opened it that it wasn't gonig to be a Super Target, since there was a Wal-Mart Super Center nearby on Council. Only problem is now they've already spent a lot of money remodeling the old K-Mart building to the present Target store, only to have to go through another remodel project within the next few months.

mranderson
05-05-2005, 08:04 PM
Well I was searching around google tonight for super target and midwest city and came up with this website.. I guess they are selling the Target building on Reno and Midwest Blvd.. So I would imagine that they are going to be moving to 29th and Air Depot...

Well I would have posted the link but of course, since I am a noob, it denied me cause of some SPAM something or other.. Anyway

check out staubachretail c0m and then click on oklahoma then midwest city... it will show the target building up for sale...

I learned from a very reliable source that the Target building is sold.

Midwest Regional Medical Center bought it for a new clinic.