View Full Version : Anyone have experience ordering oversized prints on canvas?

BBatesokc
04-07-2012, 08:37 PM
We recently decided to ditch all the art/pictures/prints on our walls that were not sentimental to us in some way - as in a photo we took, picture we painted or print we customized.

We really like printed canvas pieces. I've tried a couple of online retailers for smaller/cheaper pieces (16x20 and 24x36) and haven't been 100% satisfied with the quality.

I'm getting ready to have some rather large gallery wrap style canvas prints ordered, but with prices averaging $250-$475+ for each piece I want to try to find the best possible printer for the price.

Has anyone here been really happy with a local or online retailer that provides custom printed canvas that are gallery wrapped (image/canvas is wrapped around the edge of the wood frame an additional 1.5 inches).

This is a sample of one of a series of three/four we want to hang in one room.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/308/screenshot20120407at915.png
We are doing them around the theme of places we frequent and have for a long time.... This one is for Midtown, but we are also doing one for places & countries we've visited, and more.

BBatesokc
04-08-2012, 06:58 AM
Someone emailed me and suggested Red River Photo Services downtown. Anyone ever used them? Looked at their website, prices don't seem bad.

mmonroe
04-11-2012, 05:45 PM
I wanted to do something similar to this after seeing some prints at Marshalls awhile back but cant justify the cost at the moment.

BBatesokc
04-11-2012, 05:57 PM
I wanted to do something similar to this after seeing some prints at Marshalls awhile back but cant justify the cost at the moment.

The cheapest alternative I've found so far is Sam's Club. You can get a 24" x 36" for $75 on canvas. The quality is okay, but I don't like the thin frame - I prefer a thicker gallery wrap. But, I've found you can get the Sam's 24x36 on sale for about half off at certain times of the year, then buy some cheap wood molding and paint it black (or whatever color you want) and box the canvas in with finishing nails and its then thicker than a gallery wrap and has a nice look for under $90.

ksearls
04-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Red River is wonderful. They do top quality work and are a pleasure to deal with. They did a project for me at Christmas reproducing a vintage photo and gallery wrapping. My husband just did a huge commercial project with them and everything looks perfect. Layton is the best, give them a try.

Questor
04-11-2012, 07:03 PM
They're not cheap, but I absolutely love everything I have gotten from this company:

Modern Digital Canvas (http://www.md-canvas.com/)

They sell a lot of uber-modern canvas wrapped prints, but if you click on the Photo2Canvas button you'll see that they will custom print anything you send them. I have gotten several prints in their medium and jumbo sizes and have really enjoyed them.

BBatesokc
09-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Just updating this thread....

I had a couple of prints done at Red River for gifts and they turned out great! The recipients really loved them, but at $183 plus tax for a 24x36" gallery wrap, it isn't a service I'd turn to often for gifts - or even for my own home I'm cheap that way).

A girl at the photo counter at Sam's Club told me they had a new vendor for their canvas prints and that the 24x36 was on sale for around $57. I've printed with Sam's before and like the quality well enough, but the canvas was not as tight as I like it and the gallery wrap was only about 1/2" so it looked cheap. She promised the new vendor was much better and has a real gallery wrap.

I went ahead and tried them out with two images. The first one was a large graphics file from an iPad portrait I 'painted' of our dog. The second, I took a still image from a video shot on a cheap Kodak Z3 waterproof camera, color corrected it in Aperture, and then blew the 3MP still up to a 24x36". I really expected it to look like crap, but I think it turned out wonderful. To top it off, it was stretched every bit as good as Red River, had about a 1.5" wrap and had a dust cover black back with premium wall hangers (prints from Red River did not have either of those) and Sam's was 1/3 the price. Average online prices were $145-$190 - So, Red River is still comparable to most online vendors, but for now, Sam's (IMO) is the best provider.

I highly recommend either Red River (local and fully custom with great service) or Sam's (online, do your own color correcting but an unbeatable price and quality).

Here are the canvas prints....

http://imageshack.us/a/img14/371/screenshot20120914at324.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14/screenshot20120914at324.png/)

http://imageshack.us/a/img6/723/screenshot20120914at302.png

JayhawkTransplant
09-15-2012, 08:51 AM
Those both look great. Do you have to be a Sam's Club member to order through them?

BBatesokc
09-15-2012, 09:03 AM
Those both look great. Do you have to be a Sam's Club member to order through them?

Unfortunately, yes. However, even when you add in a membership cost, the canvas is still the cheapest you can find.

1972ford
09-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Candid candid color systems does things of that nature I think look em up in the phone book.