View Full Version : Old Quail Springs Mall Photos

Questor
04-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Does anyone have any old photos of Quail Springs Mall from long ago when it had the red sculpture out in front of it and the glass roof behind that?

oki
04-28-2013, 03:49 PM
Does anyone have any old photos of Quail Springs Mall from long ago when it had the red sculpture out in front of it and the glass roof behind that?

Wow, I would like to see photos of it back in the day too. I forgot about the red sculpture. Wish I had photos of the ramp and tree area too. That area was kind of fun for kids.

I would be a bit surprised if anyone had many, especially from the film camera days of the 1980s and 1990s when film was more treasured. People didn't used to take as many photos of daily life, and most people don't take photos at malls even now. They really should. It's interesting to see how malls, restaurants, and general daily living places and things change over the years.

All I found was one overhead newspaper photo of the 1980 construction of the mall:
Google Image Result for http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/browns/browns_1_20_1980.jpg (http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&complete=0&hl=en&authuser=0&tbm=isch&tbnid=XdGX8ZNvGadB6M:&imgrefurl=http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2008/10/john-browns.html&docid=lU_enQxmz1yJ6M&imgurl=http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/browns/browns_1_20_1980.jpg&w=500&h=375&ei=b5h9Ud2kNKqv2QWB_IDIDg&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:15,s:0,i:131&iact=rc&dur=3960&page=2&tbnh=194&tbnw=259&start=11&ndsp=24&tx=123&ty=88&biw=1185&bih=559)

I Googled Quail Springs Mall 1980s and 1990s, looked on Flickr, etc. and can't find any old photos of it.

Anyone have any?

MonkeesFan
04-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Jennette Mccurdy at Quail Springs Mall?! I would have loved to meet her! :(

Sonny_Crockett
04-29-2013, 10:06 PM
Remember when Shepherd Mall was a MALL! That was ages ago just like the Oklahoma City 89ers.

SwissHoek
06-06-2013, 08:46 AM
I tried contacting the QSM General Manager for old pics of the John A Brown. No help at all!

Pete
06-06-2013, 09:18 AM
Here's an 1980 photo from the Oklahoman:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/quailsprings1.jpg

OklahomaNick
06-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Just seeing this post brings back some OLD memories! I totally remember the red sculpture in front of the main entrance. I believe the AMC Movie theater opened in 1999, so construction would have probably broken ground in 1997 or 98. I remember walking in by the red sculpture and walking right in the dreary old dark brown brick multi-level food court. The old entrance hallways are still there if you look down the hall to the north of Express and the south of GAP on either side of the food court. The hall ways just dead end now.

Walmart building at Memorial and Penn is what REALLY salvaged Quail Springs. It was the only thing out there for a VERY long time! And a lot of people thought it might die.

Pete
06-06-2013, 09:26 AM
People forget that QS really struggled for quite some time.

It's one of the greatest planning blunders of all time for OKC, and that's saying something. It was built without anything being anywhere close -- including homes -- and merely hurt downtown and Penn Square.

It eventually led to the horrific sprawl along and north of Memorial, which is nothing but a sea of big fake-stucco boxes and parking lots.

Jettmiester
06-06-2013, 07:37 PM
Thanks for sharing this. I always said the AMC theatre in.front of.the mall ruined the aesthetics of this building. I miss the way it used to look every time I drive by it.

bchris02
06-06-2013, 08:20 PM
People forget that QS really struggled for quite some time.

It's one of the greatest planning blunders of all time for OKC, and that's saying something. It was built without anything being anywhere close -- including homes -- and merely hurt downtown and Penn Square.

It eventually led to the horrific sprawl along and north of Memorial, which is nothing but a sea of big fake-stucco boxes and parking lots.

OKC has never been able to support three super-regional malls at once. In the 1980s, Penn Square and Crossroads were booming, but Quail Springs was struggling. In the 2000s, Penn Square and Quail Springs were booming, while Crossroads slowly died. Today, I am wondering what effect the new Outlet mall is having on the existing malls, especially Quail Springs. OKC today, at 1.2 million people in the MSA, may finally be large enough to support three malls, but time will tell.

Teo9969
06-06-2013, 08:51 PM
I was a wee-lad when they changed QS Food-court (still in Elementary). I vaguely remember the multi-level food court, but I do remember liking the architecture back then. I'd really love to see pictures of it again and jog that nostalgia. There was an A&W in there and being a kid, I would get the mini corn dogs and dip them in the cheese sauce...mmmmmmm.

I now officially miss being a kid :-(

Questor
06-06-2013, 11:20 PM
I always liked the original layout of the mall and the look of it. If I remember correctly, the guy who did the Trans America tower in San Francisco designed Quail Springs Mall.

traxx
06-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Jennette Mccurdy at Quail Springs Mall?! I would have loved to meet her! :(

?

That seems like a bit of a non sequiter. Are you big iCarly fan?

I also don't like the look of the front of the mall with the AMC theater on it. To me it looks tacked on but maybe that's just because I remember what it looked like before. I remember the dark brown tile and the overall dark tone of the building back in the 80s. We lived in Warwick when I was a teen so QS was the go to mall for us.

SomeGuy
06-07-2013, 03:58 PM

I did find this photo of when they were doing the food court renovations many years ago

MonkeesFan
09-30-2013, 02:28 AM
?

That seems like a bit of a non sequiter. Are you big iCarly fan?

I also don't like the look of the front of the mall with the AMC theater on it. To me it looks tacked on but maybe that's just because I remember what it looked like before. I remember the dark brown tile and the overall dark tone of the building back in the 80s. We lived in Warwick when I was a teen so QS was the go to mall for us.

Yeah I am a big ICarly fan

Elliott
06-29-2015, 03:32 PM
* Bump - Does anyone have any old higher quality photos of the old entrance / from the inside of the Mall in the 80s / early 90s? I'd love to see some, but couldn't find any online.

Elliott
05-21-2016, 10:36 PM
Just figured I'd give this post its yearly *bump* - hoping someone might come through with a few photos. :D

oki
02-07-2017, 12:21 AM
Annual bump

Elliott
06-04-2017, 10:31 PM
Well folks, I did some digging through the Oklahoma Historical society archives, and came up with quite a few interesting photos.

Enjoy!

Earlier stage of construction.

As interiors were being built.

Interior work moving closer to completion.

Dillard's interior during construction.

Dillard's escalators just before the mall opening - it appears that there were functioning skylights and several planters that filled the (now empty) space.

Painters walking out of the mall during construction.

Workers walking through the east corridor when the interior was just starting to come together.

Entrance closer to completion.

The Mall Manager, Marilyn R. Bush (Left) in the food court. Old elevator is in the backdrop.

Elderly couple walking through Quail Springs before shoppers arrived in the early 80s.

Another perspective of the old entrance.

Hefner cheer squad performing at Quail Springs mall in the early 80s. It looks like we had a Johnston & Murphy!

Skylight illuminating a planter.

Hopefully you liked these, please feel free to contribute your own / anything you find!

Richard at Remax
06-05-2017, 07:59 AM
The old tiered food court is all i can remember (I am 33). Used to like all the plants and stuff they had to go along with the brown tile. It would be ugly now but it was cool as a little kid. I also remember the corn dog place where the workers had to wear those silly hats.

traxx
06-05-2017, 08:35 AM
Great pics Elliott. Thanks so much for those.

I kinda miss the glass front.

I think I knew a couple of those girls from Hefner but don't remember any names.

scottk
06-05-2017, 09:34 AM
Here is another look at the food court area in Quail Springs Mall from 1986:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvY6njh2pfc

corwin1968
06-05-2017, 09:36 AM
Well folks, I did some digging through the Oklahoma Historical society archives, and came up with quite a few interesting photos.

Enjoy!

Earlier stage of construction.

My wife spent many years working in the food court while she was in college but she has never seen the mall before AMC and the modern food court were built. Thanks for finding and posting these!! I've e-mailed several of them to her so she can see the Quail Springs I grew up with.

turnpup
06-05-2017, 02:44 PM
Elliott, so glad you found what you were looking for after all these years! Thanks for posting the photos and video.

When I was growing up my family lived in a small town south of the metro, so Crossroads was our go-to place. This is back when Crossroads was all new and shiny. I remember going to QS a few times after it opened, and it seemed like it took FOREVER to get all the way up there. I believe it was before or during the time when Broadway Extension between I-40 and I-44 was being built, so we took I-35 to Lincoln, then up to Broadway/77, then got off on Memorial. There was no Kilpatrick at that time, either. It was pretty much out in the middle of nowhere, if my recollection serves.

There was a place somewhere along Broadway/77 (Maybe around Hefner Road) called Clementine's Mud Wrestling. It had a neon sign you could see from the road. Does anyone remember that?

BlackmoreRulz
06-05-2017, 05:54 PM
Clementine's was originally the "20th Century Electric Company", it was a disco that had a dance floor with different colored flashing lights in the floor. It was rebranded to Clem's sometime after that with mud wrestling, a ladies night with male strippers that they wouldn't let the guy's in till after the strippers were through 9 or 10pm, 3 for 1 happy hour. There was another name for the place either before or after it was Clem's but I can't remember it now, yes it was a couple of blocks west of the Broadway Extension on Hefner Rd.

I actually worked on the interior construction at QSM, starting in the main building then in the retail buildouts of the Rothschild's, Radio Shack, JC Penney's and a couple other ones that names escape me.

Snowman
06-05-2017, 06:01 PM
It is funny how years can play tricks with memories, I had basically forgotten that the glass was tiered in that way, I was thinking that it was just angled and the panels met up (like it had been on the support pieces behind the actual glass).

poe
06-05-2017, 06:11 PM
These pictures are phenomenal; what a great find! My family and I moved to Edmond not long after Quail opened, so it was our go-to mall. I remember the glass wall provided a decent view of downtown (I think). Thanks for sharing these photos!

Joe Kimball
06-06-2017, 09:32 AM
That was a real gem of a structure! Growing up in the area, it was a great place to call your go-to mall, especially when malls were in fashion.

We needed the new movie theater space, but we lost some architectural charm with the renovation, IMO. The designer did the best they could with the space and for which was required of it. Like those solarium windows on the Hotel Black, RIP; I'm sure they looked just fine from within the spaces up there....

turnpup
06-06-2017, 04:02 PM
Clementine's was originally the "20th Century Electric Company", it was a disco that had a dance floor with different colored flashing lights in the floor. It was rebranded to Clem's sometime after that with mud wrestling, a ladies night with male strippers that they wouldn't let the guy's in till after the strippers were through 9 or 10pm, 3 for 1 happy hour. There was another name for the place either before or after it was Clem's but I can't remember it now, yes it was a couple of blocks west of the Broadway Extension on Hefner Rd.

I actually worked on the interior construction at QSM, starting in the main building then in the retail buildouts of the Rothschild's, Radio Shack, JC Penney's and a couple other ones that names escape me.

So I wasn't imagining it! Thanks for the info.

MikeLucky
06-07-2017, 07:57 PM
Hefner cheer squad performing at Quail Springs mall in the early 80s. It looks like we had a Johnston & Murphy!

My Father was the manager of that J&M store 80-81. I spent a lot of time with him there during the summer and whenever I was on break. I have great memories of QSM from that time. I remember a bakery/cookie shop in the lower level food quart that had these awesome leaf shaped frosted cookies.

Elliott
01-09-2023, 09:35 PM
Back with a few more that have been added to the historical society's archives over the years. Enjoy!

Interior suspended sculpture, shortly after the mall's opening.

Garfields opening in 1987

Downstairs cookie stand.

Alternate image of the front statue

Looking up from the original food court to what is now H&M

East side of the mall by Sears looking down from the escalator (Now Von Maur)

Gordon's from what I assume is now in the food court

Looking down from the JCPenny escalator

Front of the mall from the parking lot

Another photo from the parking lot featuring the original entrance.

Looking at the second level from the front of JCPenny (80s)

View from the upper-deck to what is now "The Buckle" and "H&M" the old entrance walkway is also featured

Another shot looking down from the JCPenny escalator (early 80s)

Cheers folks!

Bowser214
01-10-2023, 04:33 AM
Wow these are great photos! I worked at Dillard's when the mall first opened. I remember walking over to JA Brown and thinking this store is high end! Really too bad they closed.

corwin1968
01-10-2023, 12:59 PM
Wow, nostalgia kicking in big time!!

Thanks for posting those photographs.