View Full Version : New OU Admissions Policy

ljbab728
04-05-2012, 11:40 PM
This is an interesting idea and I think it is well worth implementing. Admission polices shouldn't be as rigid as they have been in the past.

http://newsok.com/university-of-oklahoma-looks-to-replace-current-admission-system-with-holistic-approach/article/3663857

It's of note how they took pains to point out the difference in the Texas admission program.

blangtang
04-06-2012, 12:03 AM
They gotta do something to keep the student loans, err revenue, coming in.

ljbab728
04-06-2012, 12:16 AM

I don't think a lack of applications is a problem. They could be at 40,000 students if revenue was all they were interested in.

BrettM2
04-07-2012, 09:35 AM
I don't think a lack of applications is a problem. They could be at 40,000 students if revenue was all they were interested in.

I spent a year as an admissions counselor (@OCU) and this will be a positive change. Test scores aren't all that matter.

Sheetkeecker
04-07-2012, 10:10 AM

Sadly, higher education is merely the inertial resting place for a bunch of sophists who dawdle around all day trying desperately to impress one another. Educating students is the last consideration, compensation for their "existence" is the absolute No. 1 goal, desire and quest.
Has been for a very long time.

Need testing and evaluation of "tenured" statues that sit there a couple of hours a day, three days a week.
Dead wood, for the most part.

HewenttoJared
04-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Good change overall. Having an essay is a good idea if it is done on-sight, but not if they have time to get others to write it for them. But does anyone who has a "strong work ethic" really have trouble getting a 24 on the ACT? And if they do then college might not be right for them.

HewenttoJared
04-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Sadly, higher education is merely the inertial resting place for a bunch of sophists who dawdle around all day trying desperately to impress one another. Educating students is the last consideration, compensation for their "existence" is the absolute No. 1 goal, desire and quest.

Need testing and evaluation of "tenured" statues that sit there a couple of hours a day, three days a week.

Perhaps if you had paid attention to this "dead wood" more often you could have defended yourself against the pseudosciences instead of repeatedly embarrassed about your copy an paste "expertise".

Easy180
04-07-2012, 11:20 AM

Skipped instead huh?

Gotta have it these days to stay competitive with others trying to land quality jobs

Spartan
04-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Good change overall. Having an essay is a good idea if it is done on-sight, but not if they have time to get others to write it for them. But does anyone who has a "strong work ethic" really have trouble getting a 24 on the ACT? And if they do then college might not be right for them.

This.

dankrutka
04-07-2012, 01:51 PM
First, I'm a professor and I work, on average 80 hours per week. Some of these comments are both insulting and off base. Second, my twin sister scored a 22 on her ACT. She had a great work ethic and was a bad test taker. She's a doctor now. The ACT test id flawed on so many levels that to use it for admissions is very problematic. It just reveals our on-going obsession with quantifying phenomena that are not conducive to quantification.