View Full Version : Parent Coaching? Is This A Joke?

okcpulse
04-27-2005, 01:11 PM
At some point in the 1990's, a silent and harmful problem creeped up in our society, and it is an epidemic sweeping the nation. It has gotten so out of hand, that talk shows are literally allotting an entire episode on adults who have problems raising children. These parents look helpless, hopeless, confused, scared, what have you. The children- cursing, fighting, talking back, and running amuck, are completely out of control. Often times, extra footage shows what goes on in the homes of these children, and the truth comes out. The parents are weak... they give in, compromise themselves and show no authority which is automatically vested in them upon the birth of their child.

And now, pardon my french, there is a whole damn show over parenting problems! It's called Super Nanny. And not surprisingly, when the nanny calls the parents on their mistakes, they bite back and tell the nanny she's being to extreme. They disagree. It, unfortunately, takes the entire episode for the parents to realize they were wrong.

It is no argument, parenting is a tough, tough job. Today's society of statute-twisting lawyers and over-zealous lobbyists who believe parents shouldn't spank their own kids have turned the United States of America into a nuclear family nightmare. There concept of 'hands off' has parents scared into law-abiding confusion.

No doubt, child abuse is not tolerated, no exceptions. A child is fragile at heart, and physically. There is no excuse for slapping a child in the face, or throwing them across a room. There is however, a bigger problem than physical abuse, it is mental abuse. And it happens everywhere everyday. It happens in my store. It happens in Bricktown. It happens at church. Everywhere. And folks, those careers that keep you away from you kids can do just as much damage, only you won't pay for it until you kids are 20 and they asked you why the hell you were never there. Don't bother answering, because it's not really a question. Your kids are telling you that you screwed up, and there is no making up for it.

Seriously, though. Why is it so that many people have suddenly lost the ability to parent their kids. It is a million-year old job, and we're getting worse at it while we're getting better at everything else. The discipline is gone. Sharing your knowledge with and giving children worthwhile advice is gone. Being a responsible father? Most are out the door before the baby is even born.

Responsible parents are far and few between. But parent coaching is a sign we're headed for serious trouble. If you can't parent without professional consultants, then it's Russian roulette on what kind of adults these children will become. It is of no coincidence that incarceration rates across the nation are increasing. So is spousal abuse. So is child abandonement, among other social shortfalls. It's shameful to see that adults who can't parent their children has gotten so that there is a demand for parent coaches. And it is unbelievable what kind of questions people ask these coaches, such as "what should I do when my child won't do his chores?"

When I refused to do chores, my mom took care of the matter pretty quick. I feared my mother. But not in a bad way. It was respect. Many children don't fear their parents, because the parents cater to their every need. What will these pampered kids do when they hit adulthood. How are they going to know how to take care of themselves, with the exception of a lucky few that teach themselves?

Folks, we're headed for trouble. And the time-bomb is ticking. In 15 years, what are these out-of-control kids going to do?

Bill Maher said it best when he said, "Now I know some of you guys watching this are saying 'Yeah, yeah, Bill. You don't have any kids.' I say yes, and I don't plan on having any until you people starting making kids I'd let mine play with."

MadMonk
04-28-2005, 09:47 AM
:yourock:
Well said! I know many parents who try to be their kids buddy instead of their parent and guide in life. I'm stern with my kids, but they also hear a lot of "I love you"s and get plenty of affection as well. They know that my wife and I are the "boss". I don't have to spank very often and when I do, it literally tears me up to do it, but I know that it must be done at times. Love your kids, but never reliquish your parental authority.

ibda12u
04-28-2005, 10:25 AM
I totally agree, My kid seemed like she came out testing her limits and see how far she can push things, very very early. I was kinda a wild kid growing up, and my parents stayed after me till I decided I was tired of getting spanked, and straightened up. it worked. If they had not, there is no telling what I would be doing, or would have been right now. So anyways I'm determined to not allow my kid to go wild like some of the kids I see out here the same age as her. And just like you said okcpulse, these parents seem helpless to do anything, or say anything. Sometime I really feel like helping them out :), but well that's probably be another episode.

Anyways, I love my kid, and she knows it. If I discipline her, I make sure I let her know I love her, and let her know I'm not mad. Honestly I rarely get upset at her. I try to discipline here before it gets to that point where someone gets upset.

I too fear what parents are gonna be like in 15yrs.

Keith
04-30-2005, 06:11 PM
:yourock:
Well said! I know many parents who try to be their kids buddy instead of their parent and guide in life. I'm stern with my kids, but they also hear a lot of "I love you"s and get plenty of affection as well. They know that my wife and I are the "boss". I don't have to spank very often and when I do, it literally tears me up to do it, but I know that it must be done at times. Love your kids, but never reliquish your parental authority.

:iagree: . My children know that my wife and I love them, however, we are their parents first, and friends last.