View Full Version : Linux, Mac OS and Windows... Which OS do you prefer?

okcpulse
04-27-2005, 12:37 PM
This thread will cover topics concerning computer operating systems, including advantages, disadvantages, interesting features and tips & tricks.

I have Windows XP Home on my wife's laptop and my workstation. I recently bought a copy of Suse Linux Professional 9.2, which does not work on my PC since some of the hardware is not compatible. Now, I have an $89 operating system that I basically can't use. Novell won't take it back, and it cannot be returned at a retail store. Selling it on Ebay is a last resort.

Linspire, however, is a new Linux operating system that installs and works just like Windows. I may check that out to see if it is worth the invested time. I would use Linux for internet access. It is the safest next to Mac OS X, however Mac OS or any Apple OS will work on Apple Computers only, and I am not one for proprietary computers. I love to build PCs, you can't build an Apple. 'Nuff said.

ibda12u
04-29-2005, 03:14 PM
I've really never bought any Distro of Linux. I used Red Hat alot before they changed models, Never really got into Fedora. I tell you what I really like though is some of the Debian Distro's in particularly Ubuntu , or if you use KDE then Kubuntu. really easy to get going, 1 CD install not to mention it detected my wireless notebook card right off the bat.

I too have a lot of interest in Linspire, just haven't gotten around to really playing with it. I hear that it's a really viable alt for windows users. I say windows users, because most windows users appreciate the drag and drop, point and click and really simple GUI. Especially new pc users. Lemme know if you've ran across some good articles, on Linspire.

Luke
04-29-2005, 04:34 PM
I'm an Apple guy. Love it. Easy, never crashes, no virii, no spyware...

Plus, Apples are just cool

MasterWolf
04-29-2005, 05:16 PM
I got Linux Mandrake 8.2 but havent played with it that much, right at the moment I use windows XP home edition. Eventually, When my hard drive gets fixed, i want to make a dual boot of windows and linux.

ibda12u
05-02-2005, 07:56 AM
I tried out the new version of Kubuntu this weekend (based on debian, but with a KDE skin). I used the Live CD, and man I seriously loved it. It's a live cd so you don't install anything, it just all runs from the cd. Detected everything on my dell laptop also. http://kubuntu.org/index.php

ErnieBall
05-02-2005, 09:12 AM
I wish Apple would make a version of Tiger for PC. I have a copy of Linux but I've never had the time to install it on one of my machines and play around with it. For now I'm stuck with XP Pro, which I find to be satisfactory.

okcpulse
05-02-2005, 11:56 PM
Apple wouldn't ever bend its rules for the PC market. They don't realize the potential for people who love to build rather than buy, That is why Apple will never see a dime from me unless this changes.

Midtowner
05-03-2005, 11:26 AM
I'm an Apple guy. Love it. Easy, never crashes, no virii, no spyware...

Plus, Apples are just cool

That's not quite true. There are virii and spyware for mac. It's just not nearly as common. As for XP users, if they just switch to a browser other than IE and use a web-based mail system like gmail, 99% of virii and spyware exposure is gone.

ErnieBall
05-03-2005, 12:51 PM
That's not quite true. There are virii and spyware for mac. It's just not nearly as common. As for XP users, if they just switch to a browser other than IE and use a web-based mail system like gmail, 99% of virii and spyware exposure is gone.

That's pretty much what I've done and I have had no problems. It's more a matter of the popularity of the software than a function of the actual program design. If everyone switched to FireFox and Linux it would only be a matter of time before they experienced similar security problems.

Midtowner
05-03-2005, 02:40 PM
That's pretty much what I've done and I have had no problems. It's more a matter of the popularity of the software than a function of the actual program design. If everyone switched to FireFox and Linux it would only be a matter of time before they experienced similar security problems.

Here's a list of Mac Virii, albeit an ancient one:

http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/antivirus/macintosh/archives/macvirus/reference/viruses.html

okcpulse
05-13-2005, 12:34 PM
I finally had the opportunity to install Suse Linux 9.2 Professional on my PC. All I had to do was hook my keyboard up to a PS/2 converter to use the keyboard to select installation. Suse Linux detected everything on my PC, including my new Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS card. The drawbacks? The installation program Linux uses to install new software is more difficult than Windows' Installation Wizard. The Linux installation program is called YaST. Once you become familiar with YaST, it is a bit easier. This change isn't so dramatic, however, since I run both Windows XP AND Suse Linux on my PC.

Web browsing with Linux is awesome. I have yet to experience a problem loading a web page, and still no pop-ups or other solicitations.