View Full Version : Accidents?

Patrick
04-27-2005, 12:28 PM
What do you fo when your pet has an accident inside your home? Any form of discipline?

mranderson
04-27-2005, 12:37 PM
My dog use to get diahrea about two weeks before she had a vet appointment. I never caught her. I eventually learned to watch closer, and as she got older, it stopped. Since I never caught her and knew why, no. I did not punish her.

A pet is like a child. If you do not catch them, you can not punish them. They will not understand, and think you are being mean.

SoundMind
04-27-2005, 01:49 PM
My dog pooped on the carpeting once. Once was all it took. I rubbed her nose in it, and she hasn't had an accident since.

Patrick
04-27-2005, 02:26 PM
My dog pooped on the carpeting once. Once was all it took. I rubbed her nose in it, and she hasn't had an accident since.

That must be an old known technique or something, because my dad used to do the same thing. I wonder if it actually works for most. I actually think it sounds quite cruel. mranderson, you have any thoughts?

mranderson
04-27-2005, 02:48 PM
There are some things I will not do to disipline a pet. I will not run it's nose in it, and I will not use my hand or a newspaper to punish.

There are exceptions, but very few. I have lightly swatted Holly, and she yelped and never did it again. I have never had to rub her nose in her accident, partly because she was housebroken when I got her.

Here is something I also do.

This is an accident, but not the type in the beginning of this thread. If the gate is left open, she decides she wants to go for a walk around the neighborhood. When I find her, I point my finger down toward her like Charlton Heston parting the Red Sea in "The Ten Commandments." She freezes. I then put her leash on and walk her home or put her in the truck and drive home.

This may not work. Holly knows I mean business and has an enormous respect for me.

You might try it.

SoundMind
04-28-2005, 12:54 AM
A little doggy discipline is all it takes. If my dog doesn't obey my orders, I hit her with my hand to get her attention.

~~*DarlingDiva*~~
05-03-2005, 09:15 AM
This is such a daily process of patience for us here,lol.Jackson is really doing great with this in the big picture we were actually swatting and all that didnt work so now we just show him his uh-oh and then he goes straight outside .One thing that also seems to work when I take him out is I take and show him the cookie and its an immedaite reward when he goes.He is really getting better every day though.Now,Can we talk about how he punishes us when we leave by shredding any piece of paper in the house into 4,213 pieces?????

DarlingDiva:tiphat:

Patrick
05-04-2005, 01:58 AM
Now,Can we talk about how he punishes us when we leave by shredding any piece of paper in the house into 4,213 pieces?????

Pretty exact number of pieces you list there. How long did it take you to count those? lol!

mistress_x123
05-23-2005, 03:36 AM
I personaly crate train my dogs and cats. Some chatch on real quick and others take no more than 2 weeks.But if we are gone from the house for hours on end we do have one that leaves gifts but I don't blame her. 12 hours or more is a long time to hold anything.