View Full Version : Thunder vs Memphis - Was this to be expected?

SoonerBoy18
04-03-2012, 02:35 AM
Thunder played like the best team in the league this past week, beating Miami, Lakers, and the Bulls and before facing Miami at their place, they first had to play Memphis, and I am wondering did anyone else besides me expected them to lose because this game was a "trap game"/ overlooked?

G.Walker
04-03-2012, 05:48 AM
Thunder played like the best team in the league this past week, beating Miami, Lakers, and the Bulls and before facing Miami at their place, they first had to play Memphis, and I am wondering did anyone else besides me expected them to lose because this game was a "trap game"/ overlooked?

The Thunder were mentally and physically drained from week stretch of beating top teams. This L was expected. Moreover, they clinched a playoff spot, expect them to "coast" through the rest of the regular season, saving energy and players for the playoffs, bench players will now see a lot more playing time, through the regular season, with only 13 games left.

Stan Silliman
04-03-2012, 06:37 AM
The Thunder were mentally and physically drained from week stretch of beating top teams. This L was expected. Moreover, they clinched a playoff spot, expect them to "coast" through the rest of the regular season, saving energy and players for the playoffs, bench players will now see a lot more playing time, through the regular season, with only 13 games left.

Coasting in the NBA is very often a trap in itself. Having the best record throughout the playoffs usually leads to championships and the Thunder have a chance to overtake Chicago for best record.

More than anything, the Memphis game exposed a slight weakness which is if the refs allows the picker (in this case, Marc Gasal) to set moving body block screens, or to block the driving by sticking legs out and trying to trip people, then our skinny guys, Westbrook and Durant, can be thrown off their games. It doesn't happen often and teams will test the refs to see how much contact they'll allow and when they see no calls will be made, we'll be at a disadvantage.

BoulderSooner
04-03-2012, 06:37 AM

i could not disagree more ... the thunder need and want the number 1 seed not only in the west but in the NBA

G.Walker
04-03-2012, 07:18 AM
i could not disagree more ... the thunder need and want the number 1 seed not only in the west but in the NBA

Like it or not, that is what is going to happen. We don't need best record in NBA going into the playoffs. We will probably meet Houston/Utah in 1st round, which we can beat in a 7 game series, then we will meet the Clippers in 2nd round, who we can also beat in a 7 game series. The only match up I am worried about is the Spurs in the WCF.

OSUMom
04-03-2012, 07:19 AM
Maybe they celebrated a bit too much after the Bulls game?

But good to get the reality check out of the way now. Now they can settle down and realize the season isn't over.

OSUMom
04-03-2012, 07:20 AM
Like it or not, that is what is going to happen. We don't need best record in NBA going into the playoffs. We will probably meet Houston/Utah in 1st round, which we can beat in a 7 game series, then we will meet the Clippers in 2nd round, who we can also beat in a 7 game series. The only match up I am worried about is the Spurs in the WCF.

Yes. We will need home court advantage against the Spurs if it comes to that. Have they lost any at all lately?

BrettM2
04-03-2012, 07:38 AM

We're only up 1 game in the loss column for Western Conference #1 seed. There will be no letting up on our end.

Snowman
04-03-2012, 07:47 AM
Chicago lost to Houston so we are still open to tie wins-losses and have the tie breaker in winning the only match up. Just do not want to make a habit of hoping they match our losses.

SoonerDave
04-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Despite the great wins and expected let down, I think last night's loss is a bad one. IMHO, if you're truly a championship contender, you have to beat a team like that at home, even if you did just come off of big-time, lopsided wins against elite teams.

I respectfully disagree intensely with any notion they're "letting up" with a playoff berth assured. Home court is a huge advantage IMHO, and we're not at all safe even for the western conference best record, let alone best record in the NBA. We had a huge opportunity to go one-up in the loss column to Chicago since they lost last night. In general, these kinds of losses to Cleveland, Houston, and now Memphis (last night) are the kind that can really hurt you when playoff time rolls around. I really don't think we want to face the Spurs in the WCF as a road team.

Agree with Stan in the characterization that the Thunder's weakness is in physical defenses that get in Westbrook's head. If they body up on him, and the refs "let 'em play" as it were, that's a recipe for trouble. I also think that physical defense is where we really suffer from the loss of Eric Maynor earlier this year to a knee injury - he was precisely the "change of pace" PG that could come in and control a change-of-tempo game for a few minutes..

Miami game tomorrow night is huge, but I must admit I'm pessimistic right now. Just a feeling. Surely hope I'm wrong.

G.Walker
04-03-2012, 08:13 AM
You guys are overreacting to this L. Memphis is a good team, they match up with the Thunder well, and have always played us close. Remember it took us 7 games to beat them last year in the playoffs. And during this year, all the games won by either team this year were 6 points or less. This L is nothing to worry about, it was a "good loss" if there is such a thing, it wasn't like they blew us out. We now have
@Miami and @Indiana, but after that, our schedule is pretty much a cake walk for the remainder of the season. But don't expect us to go undefeated. With 13 games left in the regular season, the Thunder will probably go, 8-5.

dankrutka
04-03-2012, 08:16 AM

The Thunder will not coast. Not sure why you'd think that. If they lose homecourt then I wouldn't expect them to get to the finals. They want homecourt vs. the Spurs for sure.

G.Walker
04-03-2012, 08:20 AM
With an 8-5 record, we still could come out on top, Chicago has a tougher schedule for the last 13 games, especially if D-Rose stays hurt. Tough games for them include a @Miami, @Indiana, Miami, Boston, @Knicks.

G.Walker
04-03-2012, 08:21 AM
The Thunder will not coast. Not sure why you'd think that. If they lose homecourt then I wouldn't expect them to get to the finals. They want homecourt vs. the Spurs for sure.

When I say, "coast" I am not saying give up games, but don't expect them to plays as hard, and KD/Westbrook minutes will be reduced.

Stan Silliman
04-03-2012, 08:44 AM
Despite the great wins and expected let down, I think last night's loss is a bad one. IMHO, if you're truly a championship contender, you have to beat a team like that at home, even if you did just come off of big-time, lopsided wins against elite teams.

I respectfully disagree intensely with any notion they're "letting up" with a playoff berth assured. Home court is a huge advantage IMHO, and we're not at all safe even for the western conference best record, let alone best record in the NBA. We had a huge opportunity to go one-up in the loss column to Chicago since they lost last night. In general, these kinds of losses to Cleveland, Houston, and now Memphis (last night) are the kind that can really hurt you when playoff time rolls around. I really don't think we want to face the Spurs in the WCF as a road team.

Agree with Stan in the characterization that the Thunder's weakness is in physical defenses that get in Westbrook's head. If they body up on him, and the refs "let 'em play" as it were, that's a recipe for trouble. I also think that physical defense is where we really suffer from the loss of Eric Maynor earlier this year to a knee injury - he was precisely the "change of pace" PG that could come in and control a change-of-tempo game for a few minutes..

Miami game tomorrow night is huge, but I must admit I'm pessimistic right now. Just a feeling. Surely hope I'm wrong.

We've got the answer for teams trying to "hard block" or punch you out with moving screens and it's on our bench in the form of Derek Fisher's head. That head to the breadbasket or the solar plexus will usually discourage the type of activity Gasal was trying last night.

BoulderSooner
04-03-2012, 09:39 AM
When I say, "coast" I am not saying give up games, but don't expect them to plays as hard, and KD/Westbrook minutes will be reduced.

i will bet you as much as you want that we will not close to "coast" .... and that kd and russ will play more if needed to keep us at the 1 seed and work for the overall number 1

OKCisOK4me
04-03-2012, 10:09 AM
The reason we lost is because the Morning Sports Animal crew got so complacent with the Thunder winning that they did a commercial for their Tuesday morning show that played Monday afternoon saying "...and we'll recap the Thunder's victory over the Grizz..." <--big time jinx.

G.Walker
04-03-2012, 10:20 AM
The reason we lost is because the Morning Sports Animal crew got so complacent with the Thunder winning that they did a commercial for their Tuesday morning show that played Monday afternoon saying "...and we'll recap the Thunder's victory over the Grizz..." <--big time jinx.

I don't see a problem in reducing KD/Westbrook minutes in games against sorry teams like Toronto, Sacramento, we play Toronto once, and Sacramento 3 times out of the remaining games. We shouldn't risk any injuries before playoffs. Other teams do it all the time, resting their good players before playoffs. Why you think D-Rose hasn't played for Chicago? I know he is not 100%, but I bet he could play if he wanted to, I am sure they want to save him for playoffs.

G.Walker
04-03-2012, 10:25 AM
i will bet you as much as you want that we will not close to "coast" .... and that kd and russ will play more if needed to keep us at the 1 seed and work for the overall number 1

You will regret this comment if KD tore his ACL in the 4th quarter in a game against Toronto or Sacramento. Then people would be pointing the finger at coach Brooks saying, "Why was he even playing"?

G.Walker
04-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Say we win tomm night @ Miami, we will be 41-13, and will have 12 games left. Even if we go 6-6 out of those games, at worst, we would still finish 2nd in Western Conference. Not bad...

BrettM2
04-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Say we win tomm night @ Miami, we will be 41-13, and will have 12 games left. Even if we go 6-6 out of those games, at worst, we would still finish 2nd in Western Conference. Not bad...

Not good enough when we are the CURRENT #1 seed. If the #2 seed was some flop, maybe it wouldn't be an issue. I do not want to play the Spurs and give them home court advantage in the WC Finals.

SoonerBoy18
04-03-2012, 12:10 PM

I am pessimistic as well. For the Thunder, they NEED to go 13-0 because San Antonio is right on our tails. The Spurs longest win streak this season was 11, while the Thunder cant keep a 7 game win streak alive. From here on out every loss will hurt the Thunder. If the Spurs keep extending their win streak which is very possible for them. Memphis is the only team imo that can take out the Spurs, and I have a feeling the Grizz will win/lose games intentionally just so they can meet the Spurs in the 1st round, they did it last year.

SoonerBoy18
04-03-2012, 12:25 PM
The only remaining elite teams on our schedule are Miami, and LA Lakers/Clippers. Most of our remaing away games are filled with losing teams, and I think Thunder could very well go 6-7 in this last stretch.

jn1780
04-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Well, the Spurs will also clinch a playoff berth pretty soon. Let's see if they underestimate the little dogs coming up.

I can tell you the Thunder are not going to take it easy against the Heat.

dankrutka
04-03-2012, 03:23 PM

Yeah. I completely disagree. I don't think their minutes will drop or they will play with less effort. In fact, this is the time to tune in to gear up for the playoffs. That means playing harder. If they secure the one seed then they might reduce minutes, but that would be for one or two games max.

Richard at Remax
04-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Are we going to make a thread every time they lose? C'mon, not a big deal right now, move on.

OKCJapan
04-04-2012, 04:14 AM
Durant and Westbrook did not have a good shooting night and they turned the ball over 19 times. Even though, The game was still close in the final minutes. What this means is when D&W have good shooting nights, which is more often that not, the Thunder win. I don't think that we should get too worried about this loss. The thunder bounce back they have all season after a loss. Even if they loose to Miami tomorrow, it will be a close game. I think The Thunder will end up being the #2 seed. This does not automatically mean that they will not Get to the Finals. The Spurs are having a whale of a season but they still have to be able to endure 2 physical drag out 7 game series against younger talented teams before we would have to face them.

jn1780
04-04-2012, 08:30 AM
Durant and Westbrook did not have a good shooting night and they turned the ball over 19 times. Even though, The game was still close in the final minutes. What this means is when D&W have good shooting nights, which is more often that not, the Thunder win. I don't think that we should get too worried about this loss. The thunder bounce back they have all season after a loss. Even if they loose to Miami tomorrow, it will be a close game. I think The Thunder will end up being the #2 seed. This does not automatically mean that they will not Get to the Finals. The Spurs are having a whale of a season but they still have to be able to endure 2 physical drag out 7 game series against younger talented teams before we would have to face them.

Yes, and the Thunder have lost playoff games at home in the past. So being the number 1 seed is not what its cracked up to be. The Thunder are what they are: a dangerous young high octane team that can't kill anyone; anytime, anywhere, but they can also lose anytime, anywhere.

SoonerBoy18
04-04-2012, 11:25 AM
I dont think Thunder will lose the #1 spot after they have managed to hold on to it all 14 weeks of the season so far. They will play their hardest to make sure it stays there. I think.

jn1780
04-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Yes, and the Thunder have lost playoff games at home in the past. So being the number 1 seed is not what its cracked up to be. The Thunder are what they are: a dangerous young high octane team that can kill anyone; anytime, anywhere, but they can also lose anytime, anywhere.

dang autocorrect
*can