View Full Version : OKC Rocks Redevelopment Idea

Just the facts
04-02-2012, 11:55 AM
I was on an AirTran flight last week and came across a story about the redevelopment of the Quaker Oats grain silos in Akron, Ohio. I thought it was pretty cool. The project is called Quaker Square. They turned the silos into a hotel and retail area.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fb/Ohio-Akron-_Quaker_Square.jpg

Jake
04-02-2012, 07:12 PM
I like it! Very cool!

Snowman
04-02-2012, 07:54 PM
OKC Rocks Redevelopment Idea
Redevelopment? It still is operating as a rock climbing gym and has been expanding to more of the silos in the building.

Just the facts
04-03-2012, 07:48 AM
Redevelopment? It still is operating as a rock climbing gym and has been expanding to more of the silos in the building.

I understand they are not abandonded but with the coming of similar activities along the Oklahoma River they future of OKCRocks might be limited. It was just an idea.

betts
04-03-2012, 07:57 AM
Didn't someone here post a photo of the great mural Rick Sinnet is going to be painting on the building? I can't find it here, but I think it's going to look great. I doubt it's being abandoned anytime soon.

Snowman
04-03-2012, 07:59 AM
I understand they are not abandonded but with the coming of similar activities along the Oklahoma River they future of OKCRocks might be limited. It was just an idea.

It just struck me as an odd focus for redevelopment since their is a ton places in C2S that would be more in need of development and cheaper to develop at. They own the building, it is a good location in town for them and it seems unlikely anyone would be paying enough for that piece of property to build a structure as useful to them near downtown.

Just the facts
04-03-2012, 08:06 AM
OKC Rocks was a grain silo. Quaker Square was a grain silo. Are you not making the connection?

Snowman
04-03-2012, 08:13 AM
OKC Rocks was a grain silo. Quaker Square was a grain silo. Are you not making the connection?

I get the connection but I do not see them having any desire to sell and they seem to have a growing user base. It is one thing to hope for redevelopment of a property that is abandon or business/organization is clearly failing, I do not think that is the case here.

They have a rendering of some concepts they are thinking about for future development of their site.

Just the facts
04-03-2012, 08:41 AM
It was just an idea Snowman. I'll put you down as a 'no'.

Bill Robertson
04-03-2012, 03:26 PM
I get the connection but I do not see them having any desire to sell and they seem to have a growing user base. It is one thing to hope for redevelopment of a property that is abandon or business/organization is clearly failing, I do not think that is the case here.

They have a rendering of some concepts they are thinking about for future development of their site.

Exactly. Being a successful business why would there be any discussion of redevelopment. There are plenty of failing businesses/buildings that are in need of redevelopment without successful businesses being added to the mix.

MadMonk
04-03-2012, 06:54 PM
I like those renderings. It evokes the feel of a canyon wall.

Side note - what are we going to do in terms of redeveloping the Devon building? :Smiley259

jonno
04-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Didn't someone here post a photo of the great mural Rick Sinnet is going to be painting on the building? I can't find it here, but I think it's going to look great. I doubt it's being abandoned anytime soon.

There should be several views of the proposed mural here (http://www.okc.gov/agendapub/cache/2/fe40ry55ym0u4h45ojvbyz45/142553104032012081800713.PDF).

sooner88
04-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Is the mural proposed to go over the Oklahoma Flag? I think I have my directions turned around looking at that picture.

jonno
04-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Is the mural proposed to go over the Oklahoma Flag? I think I have my directions turned around looking at that picture.

Found this paragraph on page 3:

"All sides of the grain silos lend themselves to artistic expression. The north side faces Bricktown, Downtown OKC, and the south end of the canal. The south side of the building, the side facing the New I-40, is extremely visible yet completely devoid of any enhancements, artwork, or visual appeal. The south side is a black canvas just waiting to be painted with something brilliant."

Sound like this new mural should face the new I-40 alignment and the "flag" mural will stay "as is".