View Full Version : If/when the Thunder win an NBA championship...

warreng88
04-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Where is e parade route? Would it be down Broadway (Automobile Alley) or Reno? Other possibilities?

Teo9969
04-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Where is e parade route? Would it be down Broadway (Automobile Alley) or Reno? Other possibilities?

I would like to see a parade from the Peake to the Chesapeake campus, marking all the other major supporters (Midfirst, AF, etc.) along the way.

MikeOKC
04-01-2012, 03:16 PM
I would like to see a parade from the Peake to the Chesapeake campus, marking all the other major supporters (Midfirst, AF, etc.) along the way.

I understand your thinking here, but NBA championship parades are really for the fans - not the owners of the team. The appreciation to the owners show up loud and clear in their bank accounts.

Snowman
04-01-2012, 03:34 PM

Reno from the Myriad gardens or the arena seems like the a good starting point but six miles seems a bit longer than an average parade (at parade speeds will take between an hour or two to go the distance). Construction rules out a lot of streets downtown for this year. Classen Curve through Chesapeake campus would be a decent route.

Pete
04-01-2012, 03:39 PM
How about starting at the State Capitol, heading west on 23rd, south on Broadway through AA then through downtown (Robinson?) and down to the arena?

I have to admit this is fun to think about!

Easy180
04-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Thinking right down SE 59th through Valley Brook would be ideal

MikeOKC
04-01-2012, 04:18 PM
How about starting at the State Capitol, heading west on 23rd, south on Broadway through AA then through downtown (Robinson?) and down to the arena?

I have to admit this is fun to think about!

That's an excellent route, Pete. I agree it's fun to think about. whoduthunkit?

Spartan
04-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Too bad we don't have streets named after Miami or Chicago...

Pete
04-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Or maybe it would be better to start at the Capitol, go down Lincoln to 13th, then west to Broadway, south from there to about 4th then down Robinson to the arena.

Snowman
04-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Is the construction on 23rd at the capital done?

ThomPaine
04-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Have them get in water taxis at the SE end of the canal by the Land Run Monument. They ride in a parade of water taxis to the normal loading point, get out there, and continue down Mickey Mantle to Reno and on to the Chesapeake Energy Center. They can do the last leg on foot or in vehicles.

Jake
04-01-2012, 08:09 PM
I know this is a little off-subject, but I stumbled upon this old podcast/interview thingy with ESPN's Bill Simmons and Oklahoma native and SNL alum Bill Hader.

Here's the link: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7752043 (I don't know how to do it properly)

At around 43 minutes, they begin talking about OKC and what they'll do when they host an NBA Finals series. Simmons pokes fun that, OKC doesn't have any restaurants and hotels and such. And while I don't necessarily agree with what they're saying, I do wonder where the various media will stay. And, not to sound ignorant, but to what capacity can the various OKC hotels hold? An NBA Finals series, especially one with I'm assuming Miami or Chicago, will garner a lot of media attention and a lot of media means a lot of hotel rooms and demand for business within the area. Restaurants, shops, etc.

But is there any truth to what Simmons is saying? I don't want to cause controversy or anything. I'd like to hear what people more knowledgeable than I am say about this.

dankrutka
04-01-2012, 08:24 PM
where is e parade route? Would it be down broadway (automobile alley) or reno? Other possibilities?

curse you for starting this thread!

betts
04-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Let's not put the cart before the horse!

venture
04-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Or maybe it would be better to start at the Capitol, go down Lincoln to 13th, then west to Broadway, south from there to about 4th then down Robinson to the arena.

Do we really want to risk falling limestone hurting a player? :-P lol

ljbab728
04-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Let's not put the cart before the horse!

It's fun to think about but you're right betts. I suspect the people in San Antonio were also planning parade routes at this time last year.

Pete
04-02-2012, 10:28 AM
The odds are low for any team winning it all in any given season, however, I like our odds of at least one championship over the next 5 or 6 years.

Bellaboo
04-02-2012, 10:39 AM

There is a 'Chicago' street in OKC..... when I was growing up in the late 60's, everyone was stealing the sign due to the band....

warreng88
06-06-2012, 10:28 PM
So, back to my original question... :)

Snowman
06-06-2012, 11:51 PM

Chicago may be one of OKC shortest streets.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=chicago+street+okc,+ok&hl=en&ll=35.507795,-97.543265&spn=0.030708,0.066047&hnear=Chicago+St,+Oklahoma+City,+Oklahoma,+73112&gl=us&t=w&z=15

Pete
06-07-2012, 08:50 AM
I still like the idea of starting at the State Capitol then proceeding down Broadway.

Do we have any downtown buildings that windows open to allow showering of ticker-tape?? :)

Native Okie
06-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Win first.

kevinpate
06-07-2012, 04:40 PM
Ya know something ... the notion don't seem near as crazy now as it did back when this thread started.

1972ford
06-07-2012, 05:03 PM
If we win the entire metro area should say screw the parade and make more of an exodus to the peak. within about 2 hours of the game ending providing media coverage of the plan would make for one hell of a photo op as I bet that would be the single busiest time in downtown's history outside the murrah bombing. have metro transit and school buses bus people to the outskirts of downtown to make the walk the rest of the way have pick up points at reno and meridian the capital quial springs and crossroads malls. give the bars a one day pass to operate till 5 or 6AM then let metro transit shuttle people back to the pickup locations throughout the night and as part of the normal route as well as. It couldalso help people become aware of how effective we can make mass transit in OKC

Pete
06-07-2012, 05:09 PM
It's not too soon to think about this!

We're in the finals and will be favored. Of course there are no guarantees but I hope someone in a position of leadership is starting to think this through.

adaniel
06-07-2012, 05:58 PM
^^
Back in 2006, Dallas and Miami were in the finals.

Dallas won the first two games. It seemed like they were going to pull it off. The Mayor and City Council decided to approve a parade route, set aside money for police overtime, etc.

Then...choke city. Miami swept the next four games.

Oh sure, everyone blames it on the refs. It was really the basketball gods smiting Dallas for being too cocky!

Sorry, probably too superstitious for my own good.

Jim Kyle
06-07-2012, 09:16 PM
I bet that would be the single busiest time in downtown's history outside the murrah bombing.No way, Jose. On V-J day, in August 1945. the entire downtown area was wall-to-wall people celebrating the end of WW2. They were shoulder to shoulder, blocking the streets and street-car lines. The Oklahoman had a front-page photo of Main Street with that mass of people everywhere; I had a copy of it up until last summer when I cleaned out my attic and gave the paper to my middle son...

ljbab728
06-07-2012, 09:52 PM
No way, Jose. On V-J day, in August 1945. the entire downtown area was wall-to-wall people celebrating the end of WW2. They were shoulder to shoulder, blocking the streets and street-car lines. The Oklahoman had a front-page photo of Main Street with that mass of people everywhere; I had a copy of it up until last summer when I cleaned out my attic and gave the paper to my middle son...

You're right, Jim. I checked the archives and it's on page 6 on August 15th, 1945. The picture shows a packed street in downtown with people completely surrounding street cars

jn1780
06-07-2012, 10:17 PM
I bet a parade would upset Double Edge. I can hear it now "How dare the city approve a permit for a parade. They are setting a precedent for other corporate interests to have a parade"

1972ford
06-08-2012, 02:27 PM
We got a whole lot more people in the metro these days and if that is the only picture we can get out side the murrah bombing with the streets packed. It sure would be nice to have a color photo at the very least to project the size OKC has really become.

Jim Kyle
06-08-2012, 04:11 PM
That picture shows only a single block of the downtown area, on Main street from Robinson to Harvey. The business district at that time stretched down Broadway from NW 10 to Grand (now Sheridan), and on Main to Walker. Multiply that crowd by approximately 20 times and you'll get an idea of what went on.

The pandemonium was nation-wide. At that time I was in high school in a small Southern California town. A bunch of the football players took over the town's fire engines, tied down the sirens, and went roaring around town. New York City streets were as crowded as that picture shows OKC's were. I don't think we'll ever see anything like it again...