View Full Version : NW 38th & Classen Blvd. Mansion???

Brett
03-31-2012, 02:39 PM
I am curious to know the history of the mansion that is located at NW 38th Street and Classen Blvd. Who was the original homeowner? Usually a mansion that was built by a rich prominent family has their surname referenced such as the Overholser Mansion. Is there name attached to the mansion? I remember as a kid it seemed to be vacant and in disrepair. A very long time ago, I thought one of the local TV stations did a story about the history of the mansion. Am I correct to think that it was turned into a multiple family unit? Thanks.

Pete
03-31-2012, 03:15 PM
I think this has always been an apartment building.

According to the county assessor, it's been owned by Eleanor Ferris since it was built in 1912.

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/sketches/picfile/2666/R054853492001vA.jpg

You can see the north exposure here in this photo courtesy Doug Loudenback's blog:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/trolleys/vrp_early_classen01s.jpg

Pete
03-31-2012, 03:35 PM
This is Eleanor's obituary from 2010. The property is now owned by her heirs.

Eleanor Ferris, 91, passed away 11/19/10 in Glenview, IL after a short illness. A 50+-year resident of OKC, she was born in Scranton, PA to Leo and Leona Balcesewitz Kabacinski. She received a BA from Marywood College and an MA in Accounting from OU. She earned her pilot's license while at Marywood, worked on the Manhattan Project, taught math at Binghamton NY high school, accounting at OCU, and was owner and manager of Pennsylvania Properties in OKC. She was a charter member of Christ UMC in Tulsa, 50-year member at St. Luke's UMC in OKC, and member and past Pres. of Ladies Music Club, American Assoc. of Women Accountants, AAUW, and St. Luke's UMW, also treasurer of OK Co. Republicans. Surviving is her daughter, Rev. Diane Gillham, Brookfield, IL; grandson, Dale (Elizabeth), Orlando, FL; two great-grandsons, Thomas and Erik; and several nieces and nephews. Preceded in death by her parents; husband, Scott, 12-3-78; and brothers, Ray and Ben. Funeral Services will be Friday, December 3, 11 am, at St. Luke's United Methodist; Rev. David Poteet officiating.

rondvu
04-02-2012, 09:13 PM
I could be wrong but, I always thought this was built as an apartment house, not a private residence.

Doug Loudenback
04-02-2012, 09:23 PM
You are correct.

AP
09-18-2017, 08:16 AM
I know there is another thread somewhere about this building being turned into a hotel, but I couldn't find it. Is this project still a go?

Pete
09-18-2017, 08:19 AM
I know there is another thread somewhere about this building being turned into a hotel, but I couldn't find it. Is this project still a go?

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=42173

Yes, it's the same people who redeveloped The Flamingo; Sara Kate is the lead interior designer.

I talked to them about the Bradford recently and it is still moving forward, just taking their time. They've already had all the plans drawn but it's an old structure that had been largely neglected so they are proceeding cautiously.

They've already renovated a duplex to the immediate east.

AP
09-18-2017, 08:24 AM
Wonderful. Thanks, Pete.