View Full Version : Google question

Roadhawg
03-30-2012, 04:21 PM
I've recently had several messages from my anti-virus that it's stopped a 'blackhole' virus but it affected my computer some. My shortcut to my Google mail didn't work anymore but that was solved my making a new one. However clicking on Google images does nothing now. It just refreshes the Google search I just did. Bing works fine but Google doesn't. I've cleared my cashe and also restored to a point before the virus message that hasn't helped. Any suggestions?

BBatesokc
03-30-2012, 04:25 PM
Lots of 'fixes' posted online if you do a 'blackhole virus' search.

Another reason I'm basically all Apple. Never had a virus and have no virus protection.

Roadhawg
03-31-2012, 08:29 AM
Thanks... I'll take a look

venture
03-31-2012, 10:03 AM
Lots of 'fixes' posted online if you do a 'blackhole virus' search.

Another reason I'm basically all Apple. Never had a virus and have no virus protection.

Don't hold your breath. The nice thing about using Intel procs now, Apples get to join in the fun more and more. The whole Apple being invincible to virus period is long over.

BBatesokc
03-31-2012, 01:50 PM
Don't hold your breath. The nice thing about using Intel procs now, Apples get to join in the fun more and more. The whole Apple being invincible to virus period is long over.

Hmmmm, actually, the Intel Processor has virtually nothing to do with it - its the Operating System Windows employs that is so susceptible to infection.

Linux and Unix can utilize the same processors and neither is plagued with viruses like computers running Windows.

BBatesokc
03-31-2012, 02:10 PM
Sorry, always been a Windows user. Can't even remember the last time I got a virus. The reality is, USERS are the biggest reason for their popularity and the simple fact that the vast, vast majority of computers run Windows. If Apple was the most popular, you can be sure they viruses would be just as common. Opportunity finds a way.

Certainly Apple would be targeted more. But the simple fact is Apple's OS is more easily patched against vulnerability and they are better at addressing security issues. I often read the reports from http://secunia.com and you can compare security vulnerabilities. Mac (http://secunia.com/advisories/product/96/) vs. Windows Home Edition (http://secunia.com/advisories/product/16/) (in this case). Apple patches vulnerabilities very quickly. Windows has known serious vulnerabilities going back to 2002 that remain unpatched.

Roadhawg
04-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Well that was a PITA. Downloaded Windows Defender and ran it from a CD, recommended by Microsoft, and my laptop wouldn't boot up and it wouldn't let me restore it to a different restore point. So I wiped it out and starting over. Glad I have my old laptop and can just network them together and get most of my stuff.

MDot
04-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Well that was a PITA. Downloaded Windows Defender and ran it from a CD, recommended by Microsoft, and my laptop wouldn't boot up and it wouldn't let me restore it to a different restore point. So I wiped it out and starting over. Glad I have my old laptop and can just network them together and get most of my stuff.

It's Sunday morning, we're in Oklahoma so I'm praying for you.

Roadhawg
04-01-2012, 11:05 AM
It's Sunday morning, we're in Oklahoma so I'm praying for you.

Thanks... I need them lol

MikeOKC
04-01-2012, 03:51 PM
I just now saw this. The next time that happens (if ever), clear all browsing history and TIF (the cache), which you said you did, but after that, reinstall the browser you were using and make sure you have the latest updates. Consider a purchase of Malwarebytes PRO (http://www.malwarebytes.org/)...in fact, you can get a lifetime license right now PLUS a free 8GB flash drive tossed in for free. on the cheap. Go to Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832562001) and then use this code: EMCNGHA48 Your total cost should be $14.99 with free shipping. To give you an idea, the regular consumer Malwarebytes PRO license is $25. $15 with a free 8GB flash drive is really something you should jump on. MBAM runs light on resources, the PRO version protects you in real-time and can stop the Blackhole Toolkit cold, which is one of the worst of the worsts. Also consider an imaging program so you don't have to do a re-installation of the OS. Image a "clean and perfect" system and then just throw that image back on when you run into things like this. If you're interested in the MBAM program and you have troubles with the code, PM me. Good luck!

Roadhawg
04-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll be doing that

SoonerDave
04-02-2012, 05:50 AM
My $0.02: Skip the paid AV products and try AVIRA. Lightweight, small footprint, and darned if it just doesn't work. Home/personal version is free. Have been using it for years and never give Norton, McAfee or any if the other bloatware products a second glance since.

Won't get into the Apple/MS wars. No one is immune. Users have to be part of the equation.

Roadhawg
04-02-2012, 07:10 AM
My $0.02: Skip the paid AV products and try AVIRA. Lightweight, small footprint, and darned if it just doesn't work. Home/personal version is free. Have been using it for years and never give Norton, McAfee or any if the other bloatware products a second glance since.

Won't get into the Apple/MS wars. No one is immune. Users have to be part of the equation.

I use AVG and it's always worked pretty good but this one got through. Since I had to reload everything I got another free 30 days of Norton :) I will say the $20 spent on a good malware product is worth it compared to having to wipe out my hard drive and start over.

SoonerDave
04-02-2012, 09:41 AM
I use AVG and it's always worked pretty good but this one got through. Since I had to reload everything I got another free 30 days of Norton :) I will say the $20 spent on a good malware product is worth it compared to having to wipe out my hard drive and start over.

Keep in mind that AVG is NOT Avira.

Realize that opinions on antivirus products vary widely, but I've just lost most if not all respect for Norton and McAfee for their respective bloat and intrusive footprint. Norton is many, many, many years removed from the "geeksphere" relationship it had with its namesake originator. Avira just works, it costs nothing, and that's why I endorse it so heartily.

venture
04-05-2012, 11:08 AM
So much for Mac OS being safe. LOL

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/04/05/apple-closes-a-trojan-loophole-after-550000-macs-are-infected/

According to a report (http://news.drweb.com/show/?i=2341&lng=en&c=14)
posted Wednesday by Dr. Web, a Russian anti-virus vendor that may have a stick in this fire, the security of more than 550,000 Macs around the world have been compromised by the Flashback trojan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_BackDoor.Flashback)

Looks like it is exploiting the use of Java on the system and a loop hole in the Mac OS. Apple has a patch out, but goes back to show that no one is safe and people will find a way in.

Like Dave I use Avira and haven't had many issues with it. One system did have a corrupted install after a recent patch, but one of several systems isn't too bad for a bug that is fixed on a reinstall of the software.

Roadhawg
04-05-2012, 12:23 PM
CNet gave them a pretty good review http://download.cnet.com/Avira-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10322935.html

BBatesokc
04-05-2012, 12:45 PM
So much for Mac OS being safe. LOL

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/04/05/apple-closes-a-trojan-loophole-after-550000-macs-are-infected/

Looks like it is exploiting the use of Java on the system and a loop hole in the Mac OS. Apple has a patch out, but goes back to show that no one is safe and people will find a way in.

Like Dave I use Avira and haven't had many issues with it. One system did have a corrupted install after a recent patch, but one of several systems isn't too bad for a bug that is fixed on a reinstall of the software.

Funny - Don't recall anyone here claiming Macs were bullet proof. In fact, I provided a link to known weaknesses. But that's okay, because you also thought the processor was the issue :doh:

Also, keep in mind this alert and the numbers all ALL coming from Doctor Web - who is a peddler of anti-virus software - which makes the numbers suspect.

Regardless, the fix is just a few simple steps and the damage caused is minor. Not to mention its fairly easily avoidable.

venture
04-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Last edited by BBatesokc; Today at 01:55 PM. Reason: snarkyness

Eh that's expected from you. :-P You have quite the reputation. Folks at work were discussing you the other day out of no where (I was just listening not contributing mind you). Granted I wouldn't call any of them fans...by a long shot. :-)

As far as the processor dig you are taking. Do a Google search and there are plenty of professionals/experts that have shown how they can make Macs more vulnerable than the previous PowerPC procs. So it just depends on how you want to look at it. Mac OS is definitely more secure than Windows, but it also isn't as widely used so it hasn't been a major target. As its use expands it will, but until then it isn't a major target.

kevinpate
04-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Home primary box, laptops and phones are the freebie versions of AVG or Avast. Laptops and home box also carry freebie version of MalwareBytes (learned about it from here) and the freebie spywareblaster from javacool software.

Aside from one ugly incident of getting bitten here at our friendly neighborhood okctalk bar a while back, it's been a long time without any problems in our household.

Roadhawg
04-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Right now I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials and the free trial version of McAfee. I've used AVG for a long time and this is the 1st big problem I've had. I'll probably check out Avria but not sure if I need anything else besides MS Essentials.

BBatesokc
04-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Eh that's expected from you. :-P

Yeah, right back at you. You can't make a point so you've gotta reach into your 7th grade playground comebacks..... "My anonymous friends don't like you..., Wah!"

jn1780
04-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Certainly Apple would be targeted more. But the simple fact is Apple's OS is more easily patched against vulnerability and they are better at addressing security issues. I often read the reports from http://secunia.com and you can compare security vulnerabilities. Mac (http://secunia.com/advisories/product/96/) vs. Windows Home Edition (http://secunia.com/advisories/product/16/) (in this case). Apple patches vulnerabilities very quickly. Windows has known serious vulnerabilities going back to 2002 that remain unpatched.

:doh: There are less unpatched vulnerabilities because there are less viruses aimed at Apple OS's. Its easier for Apple to keep up. And some hackers consider it attacking their own kind.

But its the same as feeling safer by living in a gated community out in the country. You feel safer and secure by belonging to a unique group. If you can afford to belong to this club more power to you.

Also, like a gate community you have to follow the rules and pay extra fees or else you get kicked out. lol

venture
04-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Yeah, right back at you. You can't make a point so you've gotta reach into your 7th grade playground comebacks..... "My anonymous friends don't like you..., Wah!"

LOL Oh I could say something, but I'll just let it slide and wait for the story on the 10PM news. It'll be more entertaining.

MikeOKC
04-05-2012, 05:01 PM
LOL Oh I could say something, but I'll just let it slide and wait for the story on the 10PM news. It'll be more entertaining.

Back to topic...

I still recommend the use of Malwarebytes AntiMalware. Even if you don't go with the inexpensive paid version I linked to, there is a free version that gives you on-demand protection. The big difference in the free vs pro is the real-time versus on-demand. The paid also allows you to do "flash scans" of your system which checks critical points and will catch about 95% of all malware in a 13 second scan. The "Quick Scan" in the free version will catch about 98% of all malware in a 6-7 minute scan (depending on the size of your system). Remember, you were hit with what's called a 'toolkit' - it's not exactly a trojan, it's not a virus, but it is malware. A dedicated anti-malware to run along with an anti-virus is very important. http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

A sample of my "Flash Scan" log is below...again, this is a 13 second scan of critical points. This was done "on-demand" and not in "real-time" mode.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (PRO) 1.60.1.1000
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.04.05.10

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 NTFS
Mike :: SANS.ORG006 [limited]

Protection: Enabled

4/5/2012 5:37:11 PM
mbam-log-2012-04-05 (17-37-11).txt

Scan type: Flash scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: Registry | File System | P2P
Objects scanned: 160179
Time elapsed: 13 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

I have devoted the last 23 years of my life to computer security training. I travel constantly doing this stuff. I use a VPN back to my own dedicated IP no matter where I am in the world, I distrust hotel networks, lock my computer down with real-time anti-malware and instant recovery software, and run a whitelisted Anti-Executable. A company and their servers obviously require much more (and that's where a lot of my work is), but for the home user there are ways to run with complete confidence with just half of what I mentioned above.

I don't wade into the Mac versus Windows debate as the marketplace decides what needs securing. I run with Windows and I have (and love) my iPad with iOS.

venture
04-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Mike very good point. I'm running Avira and Malwarebytes side by side. Have never had anything get through since doing that for the last few years.

Roadhawg
04-06-2012, 07:02 AM
Sounds like it's time to invest in Malwarebytes. I'll be doing it this weekend.