View Full Version : Oklahoma City Ranked Most Cost-Attractive Business Location

Pete
03-26-2012, 04:10 PM
Oklahoma City, Nashville Ranked Most Cost-Attractive Business Locations Among Mid-Sized U.S. Cities: KPMG Study
New Orleans, Indianapolis, Raleigh, Austin Also Seen As Highly Cost-Competitive

Oklahoma City’s strong cost advantages for labor, facility leases, expenses and property taxes contribute to its ranking as the least-costly city to do business among 13 locations in the United States with populations between 1 million and 2 million, according to a study by KPMG LLP, the audit, tax and advisory firm. Nashville, Tenn., ranked second in the study for mid-sized cities.

New Orleans and Indianapolis ranked third and fourth, respectively. Other cities that ranked high were Raleigh, N.C., (5) and Austin, Texas (6). Further down the list of 13 cities were Salt Lake City (7); Buffalo, N.Y. (8); Wilmington, Del. (9); and Providence, R.I. (10).

“KPMG’s Competitive Alternatives study provides a thorough biennial comparison of some key metropolitan area business locations in the United States, offering a comprehensive guide for companies considering sites for their business operations,” said Hartley Powell, principal in KPMG’s Global Location and Expansion Services practice.

http://www.kpmg.com/us/en/issuesandinsights/articlespublications/press-releases/pages/oklahoma-city-nashville-ranked-most-cost-attractive-business-locations-among-mid-sized-us-cities-kpmg-study.aspx

Dustin
03-26-2012, 05:28 PM
Kewl!

ljbab728
03-26-2012, 09:47 PM
It's interesting that our onerous state income tax allows up to top that list since the governor and legislature think it has to be removed for us to attract business relocations.

Spartan
03-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Yeah I can't fathom why this state is so keen on taking the Walmart philosophy to economic development with our "always low prices."

Cocaine
03-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Yeah I don't get it either the state income tax is not to high and not to low squish revenue. I question if the state does get rid of income tax what taxes are they raise to make up the cost.

ljbab728
04-23-2012, 11:20 PM
Another good paying oil related business locating here.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-considers-incentive-for-english-oil-field-equipment-company/article/3669063

Bunty
04-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Yeah I can't fathom why this state is so keen on taking the Walmart philosophy to economic development with our "always low prices."

North Dakota is another place that features a low cost for doing business, but few people can get thrilled about the idea of moving there.

Chicken In The Rough
04-24-2012, 09:07 PM
North Dakota is another place that features a low cost for doing business, but few people can get thrilled about the idea of moving there.

Surely you are kidding about the low cost of doing business in North Dakota. Rents rival Manhattan -literally; construction costs are double what they are in other places; small run-down houses sell for $250,000+; camp sites rent for $2000 a month; there is NO commercial or residential space available for hundreds of miles; the markup in retail stores would make Scrooge blush; McDonalds is paying $15 per hour plus a signing bonus and still has to close some evenings for a lack of workers!; etc. I can attest, the cost of doing business up here has doubled in the last 4 years.

Bunty
04-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Surely you are kidding about the low cost of doing business in North Dakota. Rents rival Manhattan -literally; construction costs are double what they are in other places; small run-down houses sell for $250,000+; camp sites rent for $2000 a month; there is NO commercial or residential space available for hundreds of miles; the markup in retail stores would make Scrooge blush; McDonalds is paying $15 per hour plus a signing bonus and still has to close some evenings for a lack of workers!; etc. I can attest, the cost of doing business up here has doubled in the last 4 years.

Well, as recently as 2008, North Dakota was one of the top 5 best states for its low cost of doing business. I glad Oklahoma's oil boom is not getting out of hand.

soonerguru
04-26-2012, 08:56 AM
Yeah I don't get it either the state income tax is not to high and not to low squish revenue. I question if the state does get rid of income tax what taxes are they raise to make up the cost.

Ask your friends in Texas how they feel about their property taxes, and ask them how much they pay for car tags, etc.

The Oklahoma State Chamber and other entities have been pushing the elimination of the state income tax for years, because they believe CEOs won't move here with one in place. There are only a handful of states without a state income tax, Texas being one and Florida being another. I have family in both and their property taxes are ridiculous, and in Texas they may spike or go up by a significant margin year to year.

A four or five percent income tax has a modest effect on most middle-class wage earners. It's a greater impact, obviously, for the super rich. Just shaving a point or two off of it is huge to them.

But, obviously, we all have to get car tags and pay property taxes, and rely on exemptions like the child-care tax credit, etc., to minimize our tax burden. The removal of the income tax means that poor and middle class folks will pay a substantially greater percentage of their income on taxes than the rich would.

This is reverse wealth redistribution with a goal of Oklahoma attracting more corporate headquarters. But most major corporations will not move their operations to a state that has significant fiscal / funding issues for infrastructure, education, and quality of life. That's why this argument is so stupid.

What's ironic is that OKC has been doing very well attracting out-of-state employers with our current tax structure.

Bunty
04-26-2012, 12:03 PM
I suspect a bigger reason than taxes over why CEO's don't want to move to OKC is due to poor air transportation with little, if any, non stop international destinations.

okcpulse
04-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Ask your friends in Texas how they feel about their property taxes, and ask them how much they pay for car tags, etc.

The Oklahoma State Chamber and other entities have been pushing the elimination of the state income tax for years, because they believe CEOs won't move here with one in place. There are only a handful of states without a state income tax, Texas being one and Florida being another. I have family in both and their property taxes are ridiculous, and in Texas they may spike or go up by a significant margin year to year.

A four or five percent income tax has a modest effect on most middle-class wage earners. It's a greater impact, obviously, for the super rich. Just shaving a point or two off of it is huge to them.

But, obviously, we all have to get car tags and pay property taxes, and rely on exemptions like the child-care tax credit, etc., to minimize our tax burden. The removal of the income tax means that poor and middle class folks will pay a substantially greater percentage of their income on taxes than the rich would.

This is reverse wealth redistribution with a goal of Oklahoma attracting more corporate headquarters. But most major corporations will not move their operations to a state that has significant fiscal / funding issues for infrastructure, education, and quality of life. That's why this argument is so stupid.

What's ironic is that OKC has been doing very well attracting out-of-state employers with our current tax structure.

Property taxes in The Woodlands will nearly double in the next couple of years to keep Houston from attempting to annex The Woodlands. Having no income tax is not all it is cracked up to be if property tax rates are out of control. My job hunt in Oklahoma City has already begun and my days in Texas are numbered.

okcpulse
04-26-2012, 08:33 PM
I suspect a bigger reason than taxes over why CEO's don't want to move to OKC is due to poor air transportation with little, if any, non stop international destinations.

It can only improve with increased usage at Will Rogers World Airport. With the current hub-and-spoke system we are pigeon-holed to layovers. We would need passenger counts to triple in order to improve air service, ad it can be done with both population growth and less of a desire to use DFW. I know its a money saver sometimes to make the 3 hour drive to DFW, however we have the ability to change our current situation at Will Rogers World.