View Full Version : Lion Cubs hug worker...

SoonerQueen
03-19-2012, 09:34 PM
http://www.slothster.com/3005-Worker-At-L%20ion-Park-Gets-Hugs-From-Sweet-Lion-Cubs.h%20tml

Roadhawg
03-20-2012, 08:47 AM
That was cute

Pete
03-20-2012, 08:55 AM
It's funny how all cats large and small have some similar behaviors, such as nuzzling with the side of their faces.

They have scent glands there and it's a marking thing which indicates safety/happiness.

I've always been a huge dog lover but ended up with two Abyssinian cats when I couldn't have a dog for a long time. Their behavior is complicated but fascinating if you pay attention.

MikeLucky
03-20-2012, 12:24 PM
It's funny how all cats large and small have some similar behaviors, such as nuzzling with the side of their faces.

They have scent glands there and it's a marking thing which indicates safety/happiness.

I've always been a huge dog lover but ended up with two Abyssinian cats when I couldn't have a dog for a long time. Their behavior is complicated but fascinating if you pay attention.

I've got a new cat (Owen) and I got him because of my suspicions that he is part abyssinian... Had him now since August and he has done nothing to dissuade me from that. lol. He greets EVERY visitor at the door, whether he knows them or not. When it's just me at home, he follows me around like his life depended on it. I get absolutely ZERO alone time. He begs for food during meals just like any dog I've ever seen. And if you start wrestling with him at all, it's ON! He never backs down. lol. He's all about the chase and the attack.

But, honestly I went about a year without a pet since I had to put down my other two cats (about a year apart). And, he's been an awesome pet. Mal, I'd always seen your posts about Aby's so when I got to looking for a new pet, I really kept my eye out for at least a mix.

And to your point... I am absolutely mesmerized by the big cats... and the main reason is because they really are just a much bigger version of a house cat. Their mannerisms... their expressions... and yes, even their little habits. I think it's awesome.

Pete
03-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Sounds like an Aby alright!

The best way to describe them (and the highest possible compliment IMO) is they are very dog-like.

MikeLucky
03-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Sounds like an Aby alright!

The best way to describe them (and the highest possible compliment IMO) is they are very dog-like.

Yeah, that's for sure... I have had some friends that meet him and even some very NON-CAT people come over and by the time they leave they universally want to take him with them. lol.

With him I decided to do something I've never done with previous cats... I didn't get him declawed in the front. And while my furniture has taken a little bit of a beating, I'd say it's a decision that I am really happy about. In fact, I really regret having it done to my past cats. And after some research I have come to the conclusion that one of my previous cats that had absolutely chronic issues with peeing in places other than her litter box, was due in large part to having her declawed at a later age. I didn't rescue her until she was already 6 or 7 months old and it took her a while to recover from the declaw procedure.

But, with Owen I've purchased him two large carpet covered kitten condos and he leaves all the furniture alone, for the most part.

Pete
03-20-2012, 12:57 PM
De-clawing can lead to all types of problems, including chronic biting.

I had to put my first Aby (Sunny) down a few months ago... She was only 10 but had failing kidneys and there wasn't anything that could be done. I was positively gutted to lose her. I have another Aby -- her daughter -- that STILL pines for her, months later. They didn't seem super close but then I realized they were always together and cats just show things less overtly than dogs.

Sunny won over a ton of my friends who previously couldn't stand cats. They'd come over anxious to see my Labradors and end up spending more time with the felines.

Cats are very, very underrated and it takes having a special one of your own to understand that.

MikeLucky
03-20-2012, 01:05 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Pete. That really sucks. I lost Switzer for the exact same reasons. His kidneys just failed... within a matter of 2 days he went from healthy 9 year old cat to not being able to stand. That was a kick in the nuts. Then a year later I had to put Bobbie down as well. She was a rescue that had been hit by a car and she always had some seizure and other issues. But, she got to the point where she kind of lost all control of bladder, mind, and body.... so I had to make a quality of life decision on her. She made it a good 10 years though.

And it really did suck... it took me a full year to consider having another pet... But, now that I have, I'm extremely happy I did. I'm even sleeping better and feeling much healthier in general.... course he makes me laugh so much everyday, so it's easy to see why.

Pete
03-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Kidney failure in cats is very common and they are very good about masking illness in general. Usually by the time you notice anything it's too late to do much.

Sunny went down very fast; just in a couple of days like Switzer. That can be a blessing, especially if you are around to notice and end any prolonged suffering. But of course, the shock of it all is horrible.

Sunny was an incredibly beautiful and sweet cat:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/259931_2005251245542_1071466820_2290657_3553921_n. jpg

MikeLucky
03-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Sunny looks awesome. And I just love that look that always seems to be on an Aby's face.... to me it's always a "what's going on/what are we doing now?" expression. They are always ready for anything.