View Full Version : First stage of Native American Cultural Center begins

Patrick
04-26-2005, 01:13 AM
Today the land for the Native American Cultural Center, on the banks of the Oklahoma River will be sold. This is the first step to getting this fine attraction on the Oklahoma River.

-------------
"City Council prepares to approve land sale for Indian center
by Brian Brus
The Journal Record
4/26/2005

The Oklahoma City Council is expected to approve a sale today of 279 acres to the Native American Cultural and Educational Authority to develop an American Indian cultural center along the Oklahoma River.
The $355,000 deal involves Oklahoma City providing government grant money to the authority which, in turn, will be used to purchase the land from the city, City Hall spokeswoman Karen Farney said.

The price seems low for such a large tract, but the land was originally designated for park use and appraised as such, she said. And the circular nature of the grant funds and sale is due to the city's legal constraints involving the gifting of park land.

The land is on either side of the river between Interstate 35 and Reno Avenue. It was acquired with proceeds from a 1950 general obligation bond sale.

In 1996, the city and the Riverfront Redevelopment Authority began working with the Native American Cultural and Educational Authority to develop the center as a major tourist attraction.

Subsequent agreements required the authority to prove it could finance at least $20 million of the project.

The authority has received authorization from the state Legislature for $33 million in bonds to be issued by the Oklahoma Capital Improvement Authority, City Manager Jim Couch said. Farney said the bonds are expected to be sold in May, after which work on the center can begin.

The price tag on the total project is expected to be more than $100 million, officials have said.

The center has been promoted as an interpretative museum and not just a showcase for artifacts. The Oklahoma Historical Society has already helped center planners apply for affiliation with the Smithsonian Institute."

Luke
04-26-2005, 04:29 AM
This is one of those things that I think will push OKC into a new league of city. It will be a huge cultural attraction.

Patrick
04-26-2005, 11:39 AM
I only hope all of the funding comes through as they hope. I can just see us starting this complex, and then funding falling short, and the end result being a center 1/4 the size originally planned. That's the way things usually work in our city. If the center is built as planned, it will be huge.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-26-2005, 04:00 PM
Why is this not named Hall of Fame?

Patrick
04-27-2005, 12:53 AM
I suppose it's going to be more a muesum about Native American Culture, teaching you about the cutlure as a whole, instead of a museum focusing on famous Native Americans.

HOT ROD
04-27-2005, 02:15 AM
ya, hopefully we wont mess this one up

Pete
04-27-2005, 08:45 AM
I hope this turns out to be everything advertised but I can't help but feel apprehensive.

The only renderings I've seen are very vague as are the specific plans themselves.

I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude about this entire project.