View Full Version : State Fair Speedway

LowRyter
03-14-2012, 10:05 PM
I miss the Friday Night Races.

I am sorry the mayor closed it down. It was a great facility. As great as any weekly local track in the country.

SoonerDave
03-15-2012, 07:41 AM
I miss the Friday Night Races.

I am sorry the mayor closed it down. It was a great facility. As great as any weekly local track in the country.

Although I, personally, was not a patron of the races, I think they added a fun and out-of-the-box feature to OKC, and gave a great deal of harmless pleasure to a great many people. The sad part is that the elites thumbed their noses at it, and trashed it along with most of the rest of the state fairgrounds. I know it was an older structure and needed repairs, but the notion that was used to tear it down (electrical problems, IIRC) was pathetically transparent.

The move to raze the Speedway started waaaay back when the State Fair was deemed too "funnel cake and corndog," by one of our previous mayors, and at one point actually moved in a tea room to "upscale" it. The move to upscale came hand in hand with the efforts to revitalize and update some of the older buildings, but most folks didn't realize the folks in power more or less hated the "traditional" fair and wanted to reinvent it in some peculiar highbrow image. We lost the flag plaza, the cannas, the original "Made in Oklahoma" exhibits, chased out a slew of traditional vendors, the list goes on. A few people, myself included, started our own form of protest (via letter writing campaign to every member of the city council and the mayor) about how the fair was being ruined, and it was only shortly thereafter the guy they brought in from Texas - Skip Wegner - to "reinvent" the fair left. I won't take personal credit for that, but I don't mind thinking my letters were at least one small part of the influence.

When the first year of the "reinventions" took place, with virtually no warning at all, I was shocked at the changes. I talked to a lady that ran the ice cream (Wonder Bar) booth at the "Made in Oklahoma" building, and she was nearly in tears as I asked her about all the changes. "They're killing us. They've chased off a bunch of old vendors who have been here forever. They won't listen to us. They're changing everything."

The sad part is that by the time Wegner was gone, it was too late; the damage was done, and all the momentum was downhill. They've taken down the monorail, razed the speedway, and I think they're next going to take down the Space Needle - all for variously manufactured arguments. Its really, really sad IMHO. Great part of OKC history just being flushed. I know, I know, there were age, repair, and cost issues, but I firmly believe all of those issues could have been managed had a good-faith effort been brought to bear. I think the powers that wanted to refocus the fairgrounds as primarily a horse show facility won the day (just go see all the nice new barns built and/or under construction), and don't really care if there's *ever* another State Fair. Sorry to sound so cynical, but that's how I feel.

Sorry for the rant. Just got me to thinking about how my family used to love to go to the fair, but since it was "revisioned" (re-imagined, whatever trendy word you want to use), it became a colossally expensive bore, and we haven't been back in probably three years. Sadly, I fear that's precisely what the planners wanted.

Larry OKC
03-15-2012, 07:55 AM
I was sorry to see it go too, but the Mayor/Council closed it down because of safety concerns....(sorry couldn't resist)
:sofa:

OKCisOK4me
03-15-2012, 09:08 AM
I was sorry to see it go too, but the Mayor/Council closed it down because of safety concerns....(sorry couldn't resist)

I just got my first laugh of the day. Thank you sooooooo much! ;-)

Bill Robertson
03-15-2012, 09:48 AM
I miss the races too. I went almost every Friday night. I worked for them in the late 70s and early 80s. Helped build a couple of street stocks too. I keep hoping I'll hear someday that someone will build another track but I'm not holding my breath.

jn1780
03-15-2012, 06:44 PM

And that's a fact. Period LOL

MikeOKC
03-15-2012, 06:49 PM
Although I, personally, was not a patron of the races, I think they added a fun and out-of-the-box feature to OKC, and gave a great deal of harmless pleasure to a great many people. The sad part is that the elites thumbed their noses at it, and trashed it along with most of the rest of the state fairgrounds. I know it was an older structure and needed repairs, but the notion that was used to tear it down (electrical problems, IIRC) was pathetically transparent.

The move to raze the Speedway started waaaay back when the State Fair was deemed too "funnel cake and corndog," by one of our previous mayors, and at one point actually moved in a tea room to "upscale" it. The move to upscale came hand in hand with the efforts to revitalize and update some of the older buildings, but most folks didn't realize the folks in power more or less hated the "traditional" fair and wanted to reinvent it in some peculiar highbrow image. We lost the flag plaza, the cannas, the original "Made in Oklahoma" exhibits, chased out a slew of traditional vendors, the list goes on. A few people, myself included, started our own form of protest (via letter writing campaign to every member of the city council and the mayor) about how the fair was being ruined, and it was only shortly thereafter the guy they brought in from Texas - Skip Wegner - to "reinvent" the fair left. I won't take personal credit for that, but I don't mind thinking my letters were at least one small part of the influence.

When the first year of the "reinventions" took place, with virtually no warning at all, I was shocked at the changes. I talked to a lady that ran the ice cream (Wonder Bar) booth at the "Made in Oklahoma" building, and she was nearly in tears as I asked her about all the changes. "They're killing us. They've chased off a bunch of old vendors who have been here forever. They won't listen to us. They're changing everything."

The sad part is that by the time Wegner was gone, it was too late; the damage was done, and all the momentum was downhill. They've taken down the monorail, razed the speedway, and I think they're next going to take down the Space Needle - all for variously manufactured arguments. Its really, really sad IMHO. Great part of OKC history just being flushed. I know, I know, there were age, repair, and cost issues, but I firmly believe all of those issues could have been managed had a good-faith effort been brought to bear. I think the powers that wanted to refocus the fairgrounds as primarily a horse show facility won the day (just go see all the nice new barns built and/or under construction), and don't really care if there's *ever* another State Fair. Sorry to sound so cynical, but that's how I feel.

Sorry for the rant. Just got me to thinking about how my family used to love to go to the fair, but since it was "revisioned" (re-imagined, whatever trendy word you want to use), it became a colossally expensive bore, and we haven't been back in probably three years. Sadly, I fear that's precisely what the planners wanted.

GREAT post. You nailed it.

RadicalModerate
03-16-2012, 07:42 AM
Agreed 100%.

SOONER8693
03-16-2012, 04:12 PM

Nail on head. Haven't been since the "reinvention". Won't be going again. Most people I know feel the same way. State Fair in OKC is basically dead.

kevinpate
03-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Nail on head. Haven't been since the "reinvention". Won't be going again. Most people I know feel the same way. State Fair in OKC is basically dead.

Haven't been since '08. Is attendance dropping, holding steady or rising over the past few years?

RadicalModerate
03-17-2012, 02:09 AM
As near as I can ascertain, from available data, attendance has decreased by 1 as compared to 2008.
Apparently The Great State Fair of Oklahoma is trending downward.

(try Minnesota: it is a REAL STATE FAIR . . . except for that entire REAL MILK barn/bs attraction =)

oneforone
03-17-2012, 08:41 AM
It's pretty much a trade show with rides, a rodeo and the ice capades. I think I counted five waterless cookware booths. I think the city would be better off canceling it. It won't be long before they cut it down to a weekend event.

I have more less decided if the space needle is not back up this year I'm done. All my fair favorites are pretty much gone. It's not worth the time and money just to go in for cinnamon roll, deep fried mashed potatoes and a pork chop sandwich. I am sure those will be replaced by "healthy alternatives"in another year or two. After all anything that is not vegan approved and certified organic is bad for you.

jn1780
03-17-2012, 10:00 AM
Was the fair really worth going to beforehand either? Even before they removed all this stuff I remember people saying it really wasn't worth going and weren't coming back the next year. Yet, they still went back the next year because Oklahoma City was a lot lamer back then and they had nothing better to do. Your telling me people went to the fair just because of an old rinky dink monorail ride and space needle? Sure you had the State Fair Speedway, but people could do that every Friday Night all summer long.

I see this more of a case of the city actually having more entertainment options these days. Were about to have a nicer and taller Devon dinning "needle".

"Correlation does not imply causation" LOL

SoonerDave
03-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Yes, it most certainly was worth attending. And keep in mind my decision not to attend has nothing to do with the availability of what you would consider "less lame" options. Yes, we went because of the "rinky dink" rides, the tradition, the atmosphere, and of course the new power brokers OKC are counting on folks like you to accept whatever dog food they offer in its place, all in the name of seeming chic, hip, or trendy. I've long passed the point in life where I worry about how trendy the other guy thinks I am. All I can do is vote with my dollars, because I know its the only thing they do care about.

MikeOKC
03-17-2012, 04:09 PM
The memories of the old Midway - a huge carnival with rides, games and long rows of shows. I remember the old sign as you entered - "The World's Biggest Midway." I think it was Link Shows and it was grand fun.

Booth space was cheap enough that organizations of all sizes had booths and information in multiple buildings.

The Monorail was unique and the Space Needle gave a view of the huge State Fairgrounds. The sound of the roaring cars at the speedway as you walked the fair. The smells, sounds and images in my head are very strong. Yeah, it was a part of Oklahoma City history - Americana, if you will.

It's gone.

jn1780
03-17-2012, 07:47 PM
Yes, it most certainly was worth attending. And keep in mind my decision not to attend has nothing to do with the availability of what you would consider "less lame" options. Yes, we went because of the "rinky dink" rides, the tradition, the atmosphere, and of course the new power brokers OKC are counting on folks like you to accept whatever dog food they offer in its place, all in the name of seeming chic, hip, or trendy. I've long passed the point in life where I worry about how trendy the other guy thinks I am. All I can do is vote with my dollars, because I know its the only thing they do care about.

It was dog food then and its dog food now. Nostalgia makes everything "taste" better. I'm thinking about that great lunch I had the other day. lol

Ok, maybe its not premium dog food now.

SoonerDave
03-17-2012, 08:22 PM
It was dog food then and its dog food now. Nostalgia makes everything "taste" better. I'm thinking about that great lunch I had the other day. lol

Fine dude, whatever. I'm not feeding this troll anymore.

oneforone
03-18-2012, 02:43 AM

Nostalgia is dead because people have abandoned the family unit. Back then families made memories at the fair. Now the common family shows up and splits up. Dad gets drunk at one of many watering holes. Mom meets up with her coworker for. Good time at his place. While the kids real havoc everywhere else. The end of night rolls around. Dad's in jail because he started a fight and resisted arrest. The kids are in DHS custody because mom could not be found Mom surfaces just as gates are closed for the night screaming at police because they won't let her in. Like every other family patched together by fear if change.

rcjunkie
03-18-2012, 08:37 AM
Nostalgia is dead because people have abandoned the family unit. Back then families made memories at the fair. Now the common family shows up and splits up. Dad gets drunk at one of many watering holes. Mom meets up with her coworker for. Good time at his place. While the kids real havoc everywhere else. The end of night rolls around. Dad's in jail because he started a fight and resisted arrest. The kids are in DHS custody because mom could not be found Mom surfaces just as gates are closed for the night screaming at police because they won't let her in. Like every other family patched together by fear if change.

If this is from personal experience ? If so, your family is definitely not the norm.

jn1780
03-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Nostalgia is dead

So if the next generation doesn't form the same personal connections with the stuff you love that must mean society is breaking down? Maybe the rest of what you said is true, but I don't see lack of nostalgia as a possible consequence of that. The younger generations have their own feelings of nostalgia.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of things that could be better at the fair, but I don't see not being enough of a "flea market", less "troughs of junk food", or two old rides that use to cost separately, but eventually became free as being everything that is/was wrong with the fair.

SoonerDave
03-18-2012, 11:02 AM
So if the next generation doesn't form the same personal connections with the stuff you love that must mean society is breaking down? Maybe the rest of what you said is true, but I don't see lack of nostalgia as a possible consequence of that. The younger generations have their own feelings of nostalgia.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of things that could be better at the fair, but I don't see not being enough of a "flea market", less "troughs of junk food", or two old rides that use to cost separately, but eventually became free as being everything that is/was wrong with the fair.

Because those rides are unique, even if you are too narrow minded to appreciate it. Not everyone its obsessed with the food police and getting rid if the "junk food." We forever hear about the importance of having something unique in OKC, and the Fair was it. Maybe it didn't cater to your personal, highly refined tastes and sensibilities. But it does and has to hundreds of thousands of Oklahomans over the years, and you'll just have to tolerate the fact that there are those here who hate setting it trashed because it isn't sufficiently effete and sophisticated for you and the rest of the froufrou crowd that can't tolerate anything they deign to be"beneath" them, then insist ion imposing that sensibility on everyone else because they"know" better.

kevinpate
03-18-2012, 12:16 PM

Congrats! You just fit an entire season of COPS into one post. You win the pink stuffed elephant!
Step right up folks and you too can be a winnah!

jmpokc1957
03-19-2012, 11:02 AM
I've been gone a while and had no idea the State Fair had sunk to the depths it has. As I remember it from the 60's and 70's it was an amazing fair and something to be proud of. I always enjoyed the agricultural exhibits, farm machinery, 4-H and things like that. At that time Oklahoma was a very agricultural state and within a generation from being Indian Territory. A heritage worthy of celebrating.

Do they still give kids a day off from school and a free ticket to get into the fair? We always went and had a great time. Parents would drop you off with little fear of anything happening to you.

On a slightly different topic, I remember I would listen to the morning farm report on WKY TV( channel 4 ) each morning before going to school. There was an announcer that had a very distinctive style as he announced the market prices for the various cattle( canners, cutters, etc ). I found it fascinating.

Cold and very wet in Western Oregon.

Mike

oneforone
03-19-2012, 11:47 AM
When I was a kid we went to the fair at least three times while it was in town.

1 Day to see a concert, go to the ice capades or the circus.
1 Day to ride the rides and play the carnival games.
1 Day to walk the exhibits and see things in the exhibit halls.

However, political correctness and fair board full of people that think everything should be a designed Beverly Hills standards killed it.

I give it less then ten years and it will be a thing of the past or they will re-invent it to some high society street fair in the new park near downtown.

The so called high society crowd is poisoning everything they touch. Every thing with a connection to the past is being eliminated and replaced with flavor the week stuff that most people forget about after the minute the new flavor has arrived.

If you think about it, it fits perfectly with the high society agenda. Chase religion and everything connected to ethical behavior to the basements and back corners of the world. Change history to reflect current points of view. Constantly change the rules of the game. In time the average citizen has no need to be independent he or she follows the trends of whatever high society wants them to follow. People will behave like animals and you can train animals.

I can say one thing, I will not give up my rights and I will fight. I will continue voicing my points of view to the world. I will fight to hang on to the old ways of the world even if it means I give my life for it. Change is a good thing when you are bettering yourself and the world. However, you go to far when you tear down the house because you didn't like the color of the paint on the walls and the carpet on the floors.

I am afraid people are going to change this world too much to where we forget the important lessons we learned in the past. We will repeat the mistakes our ancestors made if we forget about thing they did and re-write and renovated to fit today's ideology.

Larry OKC
03-23-2012, 11:09 AM
As near as I can ascertain, from available data, attendance has decreased by 1 as compared to 2008.
Apparently The Great State Fair of Oklahoma is trending downward.

(try Minnesota: it is a REAL STATE FAIR . . . except for that entire REAL MILK barn/bs attraction =)
Not surprising since it seems they have been doing everything within their power to destroy the Fair...from shortening its length from 3 weekends to 2, skyrocketing vendor price increases, closing of gates, the removal of attractions etc etc etc. A couple of years back, reportedly average daily attendance was up but overall was down (this was after losing almost a weeks worth of business). I had hoped when Skip Wagner was replaced things would turn around but the absolute head honcho for the past several years (maybe decades now) is none other than the Thunder's Clay Bennett.

Larry OKC
03-23-2012, 11:11 AM
It's pretty much a trade show with rides, a rodeo and the ice capades. I think I counted five waterless cookware booths. I think the city would be better off canceling it. It won't be long before they cut it down to a weekend event.

I have more less decided if the space needle is not back up this year I'm done. All my fair favorites are pretty much gone. It's not worth the time and money just to go in for cinnamon roll, deep fried mashed potatoes and a pork chop sandwich. I am sure those will be replaced by "healthy alternatives"in another year or two. After all anything that is not vegan approved and certified organic is bad for you.
Can go to the place that opened up in Edmond for many of the State Fair food favorites...

Jim Kyle
03-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Is there any place one can find Helmut's strudel or beef wellington? They were my primary reason for braving the fair crowds but they were not there last time I went -- which was several years ago (like about 10)...

UnFrSaKn
02-12-2013, 03:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nMGWM22DrA

whorton
02-18-2013, 04:20 AM
Irrespective of anything else, I attended the fair every year, while a youngster. (about '64 to '75 or so.) Personally, I have great memories of going. The entire ambiance of the fair is still with me today.

A few years ago, I drove down from Claremore to take the kids to enjoy the same (Man, was I surprised?!?) fair that I had attended. Needless to say, I/we will not be back. No grandstand, no races, no monorail, no planetarium, significantly smaller midway, longer lines, fewer food vendors, fewer exhibits of interest. . .Geez, we could not even find the booth for free yardsticks!. . .

I don't think I have to tell anyone here, OKC will never be another Houston, Kansas City, or Atlanta. It is and always will be (until the city leases the city name out. . imagine, Ford or Southland city) Granted, times change and so do people, but the State fair was a unique event. . . now, it is just a generic mix of crap.

rcjunkie
02-18-2013, 07:11 AM
Irrespective of anything else, I attended the fair every year, while a youngster. (about '64 to '75 or so.) Personally, I have great memories of going. The entire ambiance of the fair is still with me today.

A few years ago, I drove down from Claremore to take the kids to enjoy the same (Man, was I surprised?!?) fair that I had attended. Needless to say, I/we will not be back. No grandstand, no races, no monorail, no planetarium, significantly smaller midway, longer lines, fewer food vendors, fewer exhibits of interest. . .Geez, we could not even find the booth for free yardsticks!. . .

I don't think I have to tell anyone here, OKC will never be another Houston, Kansas City, or Atlanta. It is and always will be (until the city leases the city name out. . imagine, Ford or Southland city) Granted, times change and so do people, but the State fair was a unique event. . . now, it is just a generic mix of crap.

Never be a Houston, Atlanta, or Kansas City---Thank God.

SoonerDave
02-18-2013, 08:09 AM
Is there any place one can find Helmut's strudel or beef wellington? They were my primary reason for braving the fair crowds but they were not there last time I went -- which was several years ago (like about 10)...

The last time I went to the fair, which was probably five years ago, the only Helmut's Strudel option I was in the old International building. My mom and I used to know the lady who ran the Helmut's booth back when it was in the old Flowers and Gardens building, and she was such a nice lady! She ran the thing for, gosh, a decade or more, and also came back for the Arts Festival, but one year she just wasn't there. We asked the guy who had taken the booth, and he said she had sold it off to open her own restaurant - somewhere in Florida, I think. Was a long time ago.

SoonerDave
02-18-2013, 08:17 AM

The powers that be have ruined the Fair. There's just no two ways around it. And those same powers could not care less.

It was a family tradition for us growing up, and we continued that tradition with my kids, until the ripped out every stinking thing that made it worth visiting. Like they went out of their way to kill it.

Ironically enough, we drove through the fairgrounds this weekend, and its even more apparent how the place has just been ruined - nothing but the big horse barns on the one side (which is indicative of which interest won the day on how the Fairgrounds was going to be run going forward), and the dirtwork has started for the new exhibit halls is going where our speedway used to be. The place has just been plowed under. The straw that broke the camel's back for us was when they took out the giant slide next to the "new" International building. That was several years ago, and we've not been back.

Some of us in this thread have tried, in the limited capacity we have as private citizens, to wave a flag over the fair, to get someone's attention that a great part of OKC's unique legacy is being crushed, but in the midst of the urban obsession, things like fairs just don't command any attention. It's really, really sad.

The powers-that-be have just decided that getting horse shows and leasing out the buildings the rest of the year is more important than the fair, and the fair is being unceremoniously killed off as a result. I wish someone, anyone in current city leadership would step up and claim responsibility for it. At this point, just be honest about it. Just come out and say what everyone else who's been paying attention already knows - the horse and event people run the day, and the Fair is being phased out. I just hate the lies and carefully crafted half-truths used to justify it.

GaryOKC6
02-18-2013, 08:27 AM
Never be a Houston, Atlanta, or Kansas City---Thank God.

I totally agree. I hope okc never becomes a Houston, KC or Atlanta. I could live in any of those citys but choose OKC because it is OKC.

SoonerDave
02-18-2013, 08:42 AM
I totally agree. I hope okc never becomes a Houston, KC or Atlanta. I could live in any of those citys but choose OKC because it is OKC.

Agree. Having been to all three of those cities, I would say that we could borrow a few ideas from KC, as I think we're more like them than either of the other two. One of the best endorsements OKC could ever have, and plaster all over the Chamber of Commerce literature, is "We're Not Houson Or Atlanta, and Darned Proud Of It." Those places are nightmares. Had to go to the former for business several years ago, and it was just awful. I can't think of a single redeeming thing about it, other than perhaps the airport out of town (rim-shot)...